• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Dyack Addresses Kotaku Allegations [Silicon Knights]

scitek

What makes you so sure they ever even approached Nintendo about making an Eternal Darkness 2? This is Dennis Dyack we're talking about here, the guy who ditched Nintendo because of the Wii.

If Nintendo's relationship with SK was as good as I hear it was, I can't imagine they'd refuse if Precursor went to them with an ED 2 proposal. They'd be crazy not to offer to publish it, and if they did publish it I'm sure Nintendo would offer the same QA they did the first time around.

The rumor (I know, rumor, but they seem to have been pretty accurate from certain people) was that they went to Nintendo with it, but it would've taken an extra $10m just to keep SK open in addition to the game itself. A similar situation to that of Factor5 before it closed.

What makes you so sure they ever even approached Nintendo about making an Eternal Darkness 2? This is Dennis Dyack we're talking about here, the guy who ditched Nintendo because of the Wii.

If Nintendo's relationship with SK was as good as I hear it was, I can't imagine they'd refuse if Precursor went to them with an ED 2 proposal. They'd be crazy not to offer to publish it, and if they did publish it I'm sure Nintendo would offer the same QA they did the first time around.

He denies that in this video.

So, in short, Dyack thought everyone would go like this? Sadly, he underestimated the amount of people who don't believe anything he says, this video included, especially in the wake of Silicon Knights being all but shut down from a lawsuit by Epic accusing them of stealing UE3.

Zaph

What a strange video. I'm mean everything, the timing, the context, Dyack's body language and rambling. Strange.

Dyack himself looks like he's being held with a gun to his head. Half way I though I was expecting him to start blinking Morse code.

I know that Stephen spent many, many hours editing this story, getting people on the phone, and working to ensure that the final published article was both ethically sound and accurate. I know this because he sits across from me. This story took quite a lot out of him. (Sometimes I wish Kotaku's detractors could see how hard Totilo works on this sort of thing. Maybe we should make a documentary or something.)
dead

What a strange video. I'm mean everything, the timing, the context, Dyack's body language and rambling. Strange.

Dyack himself looks like he's being held with a gun to his head. Half way I though I was expecting him to start blinking Morse code.

Gee, maybe he's both nervous and embarrassed? I'm sure he didn't want to make this video.

Zabant

Sometimes I wish Kotaku's detractors could see how hard Totilo works on this sort of thing. Maybe we should make a documentary or something.

I don't think anyone doubts how hard Totilo, or any of the kotaku staff work on the content you guys put up, if they do they are underestimating the amount of verification and research these kind of articles take.

What people have an issue with is the ethics and seeming willingness to throw people under the bus for the sake of clicks. I'm all for more actual journalism in the gaming industry (a nice change from the glorified PR role most sites take on) but unless you can be transparent and 100% sure what you're putting up is true and has a underlying cause that attention should be brought to, not just speculation or hearesay like a certain article recently accusing Sony of being sexist, then the professional thing to do would be not to run the story.

Too many people claim kotaku are nothing but a sensationalist tabloid equivalent as it is, dyack coming out and pretty much denying all the allegations posted in that article does not help that image.

Epcott

I'm not sure which disturbs me more:

The "my word against theirs" position taken here, with Dyack vs 8 ex-employees.

Or the fact Kotaku isn't banned here for posting an unverified story that was passed up by other publications.

Edit: After reading Jason's reply, I guess it isn't fair to lump all of Kotaku in one collective heap. But still, if Wired passed on this story due to credibility issues, it should have been reason enough for his peer to be cautious and just not post it.

Personally, I'm interested if more employees come forward.

Dali

I don't think it's responsible to publish an article that consists solely of anonymous sources venting about a person or a company. I have been approached about doing stories like this, and turned them down accordingly. "Sources: 'Denis Dyack Is A Moron'" is not an ethically sound story. But this story is much more than that. It is specific, and pointed. It recounts, in great detail, a number of events and occurrences at Silicon Knights that are quite newsworthy, and well worth sharing.

I know that Stephen spent many, many hours editing this story, getting people on the phone, and working to ensure that the final published article was both ethically sound and accurate. I know this because he sits across from me. This story took quite a lot out of him. (Sometimes I wish Kotaku's detractors could see how hard Totilo works on this sort of thing. Maybe we should make a documentary or something.)

In any industry, anonymous sourcing is an essential part of journalism, and it must be handled responsibly. You asked if I have cited unverifiable anonymous sources as part of a story. I have, quite a few times. As an example, I worked very hard to ensure that our recent Doom 4 investigation was accurate, and that it told the story in an ethically sound manner. From what I've seen, I think Andrew and Stephen did the same for Silicon Knights.
And Chris Kohler disagrees.

I think a lot of people believe that Dyack is pulling the strings behind the scenes. Also they haven't done a good job of separating Silicon Knights from Precursor Games.

Did you ever notice that this team of nine or so guys, seems to have four or five people calling themselves "Directors" of something or other? Yeah.... funny how amorphous their chain of command is.

thumb

Banned
I don't think it's responsible to publish an article that consists solely of anonymous sources venting about a person or a company. I have been approached about doing stories like this, and turned them down accordingly. "Sources: 'Denis Dyack Is A Moron'" is not an ethically sound story. But this story is much more than that. It is specific, and pointed. It recounts, in great detail, a number of events and occurrences at Silicon Knights that are quite newsworthy, and well worth sharing.

In any industry, anonymous sourcing is an essential part of journalism, and it must be handled responsibly. You asked if I have cited unverifiable anonymous sources as part of a story. I have, quite a few times. As an example, I worked very hard to ensure that our recent Doom 4 investigation was accurate, and that it told the story in an ethically sound manner. From what I've seen, I think Andrew and Stephen did the same for Silicon Knights.

In his video, Dyack quotes an ex-employee who was in charge of labor allocations at SK. This individual denies that he improperly allocated people from XMD to ED2. Did any of the anonymous sources provide emails or screenshots to the contrary?

In his video, Dyack quotes an ex-employee who was in charge of labor allocations at SK. This individual denies that he improperly allocated people from XMD to ED2. Did any of the anonymous sources provide emails or screenshots to the contrary?

8 anonymous sources > 1 Dyack, clearly they're right due to statistics 'n such

jschreier

I have no idea. I didn't work on this story. You'll have to ask Andrew or Stephen.

JDSN

Banned
What makes his statements extremely dishonest is because they are a response to his failed kickstarter and well, its Dyack.

Sean

Banned
I don't really like or trust Dyack, but the Kotaku article reads more like a hit piece on him personally rather than a truly interesting look at game development IMO.

1. Silicon Knights took on a licensed X-Men game in order to keep the company afloat.
2. Dyack's involvement and feedback on the game was minimal due to a number of factors (ED2, Epic Games lawsuit, etc).
3. Activision didn't really give a shit either and just wanted the game released on budget and on schedule - presumably to ride the hype of X-Men: First Class DVD release.

This all seems like fairly standard stuff for a licensed game.

I'm sure many of the allegations in the Kotaku article were true, but they also sound highly exaggerated (which is no surprise coming from a bunch of disgruntled ex-employees). Some of the authors claims also seem exaggerated to me, like the stuff about the initial trailer having SK's name attached "prominently" (it was just a tiny logo shown in the last 3 seconds) or claiming X-Men Destiny was their "biggest public failure" (I think everyone would agree Too Human was).

Again, not defending Dyack/SK here, I just don't think it was that great of an article.

sega4ever

even if the article isn't true, what is true is the legal problems with crystal dynamics and epic, last 2 big games sucked hard and their company went under.

thats enough for me to not trust them with anything especially since its the same people running this new company.

Desty

Banned
Dyack damage control tour continues, onwards into forever.

Yeah, this video is kind of weird. He should be focusing on their new game and showing how awesome it is, not bringing out skeletons from the closet that people have slowly been forgetting about.

It would be like the president of Enron starting a new company and then making a video saying how he was not a criminal at Enron. Distracting and not necessarily going to help sell your game.

Disgusting hit piece, in my opinion. Denis, I wish you all the best. Don't let the criticism get you down or distract you from doing that which you love. Your job isn't to somehow try and get people to like you, but I understand taking extraordinary steps to try and set the record straight. Just know that nothing that you say or do will ever get certain people to give you a fair shake, and if that's the case, then that tells you that their opinion shouldn't concern you.

If the games you make are solid and really well done, no criticism coming from anybody will amount to very much.

Yeah, this video is kind of weird. He should be focusing on their new game and showing how awesome it is, not bringing out skeletons from the closet that people have slowly been forgetting about.

It would be like the president of Enron starting a new company and then making a video saying how he was not a criminal at Enron. Distracting and not necessarily going to help sell your game.

Yea, sure, he should just sit there and do nothing while people write disgusting hit pieces destroying his reputation and credibility. A hit piece that many are all too willing to believe without having all the facts. Denis had to set the record straight. I thought he kinda went overboard in the Too Human build up and hurt his game, but this isn't one of those situations.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Huh? Everyone was asking him constantly about the XMD fiasco and the Kotaku article and this video was announced specifically as an answer to these allegations. What the hell were you expecting?

We'll have something on this at some point today or tomorrow. I just started listening to the video and one of the odd things is that he's talking about some things that aren't actually in the article. The whole Nintendo bit, for example, and the reason for their split. Very strange.

What's strange about it? Dyack is answering questions in this video from people in the SotE forums. They asked about the Kotaku article. They also asked about the end of SK's relationship with Nintendo. In addressing that question, Dyack took a tangentially related quote from the Kotaku article about SK's relationship with Nintendo. He then rebutted the information in that quote concerning SK's relationship with Nintendo.

scitek

All they've seen since the campaign started is people saying they don't trust Denis after the allegations against him. He's not bringing up anything, he's trying to put it down.

Freki

Kotaku said:
Yet despite this reportedly split effort, the ED2 demo also failed to come together in a satisfying way, sources said. "The farthest they got with it when I left SK was, literally, one two-level church interior," says one former employee.

From the Kickstarter Video:
unbenanntfksm7.png

What a coincidence...

zashga

I do feel a little bad for Denis. Regardless of whether or not the allegations in the Kotaku article were true, I got the impression the article was only published at all because Silicon Knights and Denis himself were such easy targets. Their reputations were pretty much destroyed after XMD and the Epic lawsuit, so there was no real risk burning that bridge.

That said, I would still have serious misgivings about pledging to Shadow of the Eternals even if that article had never been published. The downward spiral SK experienced after the Nintendo days, and Denis's bizarre interactions with the gaming community and press during that period, do not inspire confidence in Precursor's new project. The most reassuring thing about Precursor is that Denis doesn't seem to be involved in the business side of the equation anymore. I'm still inclined to take a wait and see approach; I have no idea what level of quality this team is actually capable of anymore.

scitek

From the Kickstarter Video:
unbenanntfksm7.png

What a coincidence...

Yeah that helps confirm they're at least truthful to some degree for me. Still, if the 45 years of experience among the 8 of them is accurate, they likely were employed there only for Too Human and XMD, I.e. not during SK's best days, so I'm sure they were a little less than satisfied with the products they helped create while there. I can understand why they might not be fond of him.

zashga

Yeah that helps confirm they're at least truthful to some degree for me. Still, if the 45 years of experience among the 8 of them is accurate, they likely were employed there only for Too Human and XMD, I.e. not during SK's best days, so I'm sure they were a little less than satisfied with the products they helped create while there. I can understand why they might not be fond of him.

It's a mistake to assume that the average number of years applied to all eight employees. It could just as easily be the case that one guy worked 10 years with SK and the others worked there for 5 years. Or two guys worked 10 years and the others worked 4 years, etc. Denis obviously prefers the idea that none of the anonymous sources had any particular seniority, but we don't know if that's actually true.

Purexed

Banned
Never thought I'd look at Dyack as a sympathetic figure, but I'm hoping the guy gets an opportunity for a second act focusing purely on game design. ED remains one of my fave games ever.

Looking forward to seeing how everything shakes out.

We'll have something on this at some point today or tomorrow. I just started listening to the video and one of the odd things is that he's talking about some things that aren't actually in the article. The whole Nintendo bit, for example, and the reason for their split. Very strange.

What's strange about it? Dyack is answering questions in this video from people in the SotE forums. They asked about the Kotaku article. They also asked about the end of SK's relationship with Nintendo. In addressing that question, Dyack took a tangentially related quote from the Kotaku article about SK's relationship with Nintendo. He then rebutted the information in that quote concerning SK's relationship with Nintendo.

You would think that someone who's been covering this story wouldn't have to have this explained to them.

scitek

It's a mistake to assume that the average number of years applied to all eight employees. It could just as easily be the case that one guy worked 10 years with SK and the others worked there for 5 years. Or two guys worked 10 years and the others worked 4 years, etc. Denis obviously prefers the idea that none of the anonymous sources had any particular seniority, but we don't know if that's actually true.

Didn't one of the sources not like where the article could be going and send Denis a copy of the email he read from? He knows at least one of their identities, I assume if any of them actually knew budgetary information and other sensitive data, it wouldn't be hard to deduce who they are.

I don't understand what the church image proves. That location was in Eternal Darkness -- if you're developing a sequel that turns into an unofficial successor, it's an evocative scene to create nostalgia and familiarity among any fan of ED.

The fact that Precursor already has these assets, and purchased them from SK, already proves that the game was in development for some time at SK. This was a persistent rumor for years and years before Kotaku's article. It hardly proves that the anonymous source was truthful about everything else.

As several other people have pointed out, the fact that an ED successor was being worked on at SK does not mean resources were being diverted or stolen from X-Men Destiny, which is the specific claim made in Kotaku's article.

Zemm

Sounds like the kotaku piece is a character assassination that many other sites turned down because there was zero proof. Pretty disgusting they'd post it, but not surprising.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
One interesting aspect of the 2-tier Church being total truth is thats assets and work that the full force of the once operational SK that worked on it and no doubt cherry picked their best workers to do so.

Theyre not there anymore, but due to the whole "buying the assets" song and dance, what Dyack and co get to present for their Kickstarter is something I feel isn't indicative of the sort of work their skeleton squad could achieve nowadays. Worse still of course that the above took "a lot more time than it should have", mixed with episodic nature and more and good lord you can just see this catostrophe in the making from orbit.

scitek

One interesting aspect of the 2-tier Church being total truth is thats assets and work that the full force of the once operational SK that worked on it and no doubt cherry picked their best workers to do so.

Theyre not there anymore, but due to the whole "buying the assets" song and dance, what Dyack and co get to present for their Kickstarter is something I feel isn't indicative of the sort of work their skeleton squad could achieve nowadays. Worse still of course that the above took "a lot more time than it should have", mixed with episodic nature and more and good lord you can just see this catostrophe in the making from orbit.

I dunno, they had to reconstruct everything in CryEngine in a relatively short amount of time. I don't think they're incapable of doing a decent job at delivering.

BrokenBox

I get why GAF reacts to Dyack the way they do, but goddamn are people butthurt. Also, the amount of venom Kotaku gets outside of this thread should warrant at least a few questions on the article.

I paid $5 and want to see how the Pilot turns out.

bumclot

Regardless of the story's veracity, I thought it was journalism 101 not to publish something unless it has a verified source, preferably two or three.

clem84

Gold Member
I'm sorry if this has been discussed before but can someone tell me what happened to SK? The last we heard about them was that Epic had won the lawsuit and SK was forced to pay a certain amount of money and also destroy all copies of the games that had stolen code in them. And now there's this new company Precursor games? Did SK close its doors? Is Precursor Dyack's new company?

BD1

Banned
I'm sorry if this has been discussed before but can someone tell me what happened to SK? The last we heard about them was that Epic had won the lawsuit and SK was forced to pay a certain amount of money and also destroy all copies of the games that had stolen code in them. And now there's this new company Precursor games? Did SK close its doors? Is Precursor Dyack's new company?

The lawsuit essentially killed SK. They couldn't survive. It only exists today to deal with the aftermath of the Epic case.

Dennis and other SK brass went over to Precursor.

Top Bottom