• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denuvo responds to lightning quick Resident Evil 7 PC crack

12Dannu123

Don't worry. Valve will convert all developers to SteamOS if Microsoft does something crazy with Windows 10 or next gen console doesn't offer b/c (PS5 or XBox 4) with current gen (XBoxOne or PS4).

Yeah...........that's not going to happen...... majority of gamers and people do more than just play games.

Resseh

Not convinced that someone who pirates a game is someone who will never by it. Just seems to be justification for stealing.

Are you guys saying that if every game had DRM that all the pirates would give up gaming and go outside or read a book?

Trup1aya

Not convinced that someone who pirates a game is someone who will never by it. Just seems to be justification for stealing.

Are you guys saying that if every game had DRM that all the pirates would give up gaming and go outside or read a book?

Actually, yes this IS what people seem to imply. And its ridiculous.

I was just having a convo with some co-workers today and they all complained about me buying the game (Despite getting it a discounted price) for a 10ish hour long game. Once they heard the news of this game being cracked. They were about positive about the game and how the plan to pirate it now. I was low-key upset with how ignorant they were being. These are grown men that work fulltime for an IT company. But, I guess people have their money priorities on different things.. Maybe I'm just a fanboy for the RE series. I don't know, but I will admit that kind of attitude bothered me a bit.

That's a shame. Hopefully piracy won't be too bad on the games sales.

Does this mean future Denuvo games or going to be cracked earlier?

Given that, these days, a game's value is based on how much a player "can't wait" to play a game, Denuvo is still having a significant impact on keeping pirating players from access enough to put pressure on buying or even preordering.

Actually, yes this IS what people seem to imply. And its ridiculous.

Agreed. We live in a world where stealing content is a societal norm - whether that's game piracy or music piracy or whatever.

There is more content out there than you can ever consume. If a game has decent DRM, and you're someone who culturally and habitually pirates then maybe you'll buy it but maybe you'll just play one of the dozens of other cracked games and either wait a few weeks until the new one is cracked or just not bother with it.

So I don't buy the argument that piracy doesn't harm sales just because denuvo-enabled sales figures aren't significantly higher than non-denuvod titles. That's a false conclusion because you're only considering a single title in isolation and not the broader landscape.

Woo-Fu

Banned
How is it that Resident Evil gets cracked lightning quick, but games like Just Cause 3 are still on the fence?

There is a window around release where your group gets street cred for cracking a title before anybody else. Nobody gives a shit if you crack it a year later.

I was just having a convo with some co-workers today and they all complained about me buying the game (Despite getting it a discounted price) for a 10ish hour long game. Once they heard the news of this game being cracked. They were about positive about the game and how the plan to pirate it now. I was low-key upset with how ignorant they were being. These are grown men that work fulltime for an IT company. But, I guess people have their money priorities on different things.. Maybe I'm just a fanboy for the RE series. I don't know, but I will admit that kind of attitude bothered me a bit.

It's just such a difficult thing to calculate though. How many of those people would actually buy the game if they couldn't pirate it? I think that's where the argument "they're not losing sales" stems from. It does make sense but of course there are probably people who would buy the game if they couldn't pirate it. It's just not as black and white as people make it out to be.

Trup1aya

It's just such a difficult thing to calculate though. How many of those people would actually buy the game if they couldn't pirate it? I think that's where the argument "they're not losing sales" stems from. It does make sense but of course there are probably people who would buy the game if they couldn't pirate it. It's just not as black and white as people make it out to be.

There's no way to tell. How an individual would act if the conditions were different. But I find it hard to assume that if all games had DRM that lasted forever, would be pirates would stop gaming altogether.

you have to assume, however, that at least some pirates are actually downloading games that they are genuinely interested in. If someone has no other way to get something they heavily desire, they'll get it the legal way.

Shengar

So you don't buy any games on Steam at all?

DRM-less games on Steam can be launched off the Steam UI directly from the folder while being offline altogether. Denuvo prevents you to launch your game offline if you hadn't logged in and started the game while being connected to internet. That's a vast different, and it's what makes me indifferent to Denuvo at first become a sceptics real fast.

There's nothing good about DRM and what it does is only hurting the legitimate consumer as always.

yes, because that level of convenience somehow trumps over saving hundreds of dollars per month while getting everything (main game,dlcs,latest updates/patches) for free.

rolleyes.gif
You know what? My friend who is always short on money most of the time and more likely to pirate games than buying it on Steam actually bough Darkest Dungeon when it was on sale because the constant updates makes pirating it cause more headache alongside the grind. Convenience DO make a lot of difference and people are willing to pay for some price if it is available to them.

That's a shame. Hopefully piracy won't be too bad on the games sales.

That's the usual experience you get when you lived in a third world country. It's kinda frustrating to see, but you can't do shit about it either when the minimum wage is $350, while the average big games are around $40-$60. Regional pricing leverage this quite a lot though and I guess it makes big impact on making legal games more attractive to PC player (which is why I fucking hate companies that set their game prices by direct conversion from dollars).

nynt9

There is a decent 'essay/study' of the topic here, which basically expands on the scale of piracy and how the percentage of pirate:genuine copy, of some games has been over 90% in certain cases.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_4.html

How people can say that games being downloaded 100,000's of times, illegally, has no impact on lost sales, is beyond me though.

Let me give you a pro tip

You can't actually track how many times someone downloaded a file from a torrent by tracking how many times the torrent itself was downloaded.

And not everyone who pirates a game is a person who would have otherwise bought the game and just pirated it instead. Few people have the thought process of "I want to pirate this but if not I'll pay $60 for it." For most pirates the process is "I will never buy this game, but if I can pirate it, I will." So the game not being available to be pirated won't increase the sales from those people. In fact, many pirates live in regions where games they're pirating aren't even really available, or are prohibitively expensive.

holygeesus

Banned
Let me give you a pro tip

You can't actually track how many times someone downloaded a file from a torrent by tracking how many times the torrent itself was downloaded.

And not everyone who pirates a game is a person who would have otherwise bought the game and just pirated it instead. Few people have the thought process of "I want to pirate this but if not I'll pay $60 for it." For most pirates the process is "I will never buy this game, but if I can pirate it, I will." So the game not being available to be pirated won't increase the sales from those people. In fact, many pirates live in regions where games they're pirating aren't even really available, or are prohibitively expensive.

Wow thanks for the pro tip!

How about the flip side then? Not everyone who downloads a game illegally *wouldn't* have considered buying it, if it was the only way to play the game. There isn't any way to track how piracy impacts on game sales, but is naive beyond belief, to believe that piracy has no impact at all.

I'm actually surprised we haven't had the other old cliche' out yet - Piracy actually helps sales, as it allows gamers to try games before buying them. Cobblers.

Bowl0l

Yeah...........that's not going to happen...... majority of gamers and people do more than just play games.
Just dual boot an existing PC with SteamOS and Windows. Two in one: gaming PC and workstation unless the user requires the PC to crunch data 24/7.

My point is if consoles game library gets reset every generation, users might flee to Steam.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not really convinced a thousand illegal downloads translates into a thousand lost sales. Not even half, not even 10% in real world terms. The reality is that so many alternatives exist, and people will opt for the path of least resistance. Which means, not paying any money. There are free to play games as well that create outlets for those who will never pay for anything.

And besides, the arguing point that some are making here, Valve included, is that success isn't tied to maximizing your security, but reaching and appealing to as many buyers as possible. By getting into a paradigm of fighting piracy, you will always set yourself up for disappointment. The nature of the open system will always guarantee compromise. Instead of doing the impossible, create as much value for those potential buyers.

I have never heard of any PC dev attributing their success to the strength of their copy protection xD.

Please tell us what drm there is on the console version that would stop us from playing the game years down the line.

DLC, patches, and any 100% digital title. These companies won't maintain their servers forever, and unlike pc you can't easily backup or rely on others to backup these things because of how the drm works on these consoles.

Just dual boot an existing PC with SteamOS and Windows. Two in one: gaming PC and workstation unless the user requires the PC to crunch data 24/7.
there is no windos to dual boot into, there never was and never will be - however if there was, then why dual boot instead of just launching big picture mode?

fast_taker

I am more that willing to pay for games that worth to be purchased.
Quality games is the best anti-tampering technology.

It was only a matter of time for denuvo to be cracked.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I don't think it affects sales, if people want to priate something, it's unlikely that they would buy it instead if it's not available due to DRM

Funny story, a friend of mine did exactly this. He shouldn't really be buying games (or anything really) right now as he went through a nasty divorce and shit, and he was going to pirate it but couldnt because of denuvo, and one day later he messaged me that he caved and bought it (on cdkeys since its the cheapest possible place and kinda shady but hey better than piracy lol).

But I also believe that is the exception that proves the rule tho.

synce

Same thing they always say. The ultimate irony is that Capcom probably lost more money on the DRM than what they would've got from pirates. Hopefully publishers wisen up but I doubt this will change anything

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
DRM is one of the reasons I stopped gaming on pc, I avoid any product with DRM on PC like the plague. I know I could have gone with a dedicated gaming PC, but a console is cheaper and less hassle.

I'm against DRM practices, but this makes very little sense.

Roshin

So far only one piracy group has been able to bypass it.

Ah, a challenge.

640.jpg

Urthor

Disappointing for capcom.

Capcom gets a full refund of their Denuvo fees under the agreement for this, plus they got a little dose of extra publicity and their game protected from release day cracks, which is pretty important for them in the scheme of things.

madjoki

I would not buy a game with an expiration date built-in by Denuvo.
Glad that the console version of Resident Evil 7 is free of this DRM/malware.

I'm willing to bet that console version will be unusable before PC version is, though.

We will see if Conan Exiles (released two days ago) get cracked or next ubisoft games For Honor and Ghost Recon: Wildlands. (For Honor, if it's not online only).

It might be Resident Evil 7 specific. (or even specific to initial release as they chose non patched version, although that might be about timing)

There's still many big games left uncracked like Just Cause 3, Hitman, Total Warhammer, Dishonored 2, F1 2016, Planet Coaster, Dead Rising 4, Berseria.

Wollan

If Denuvo becomes consistently broken within a week of release going forward I think we will see the 'strategic delay' of PC games return.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Capcom gets a full refund of their Denuvo fees under the agreement for this, plus they got a little dose of extra publicity and their game protected from release day cracks, which is pretty important for them in the scheme of things.

1.) They don't. It's money that's been pissed away at this point. Makes me wonder if they'll bother with their next release. Maybe if Denuvo make them a generous compromise offer.

2.) 5 days is not a meaningful window of time to secure sales. They were touting weeks and months as their initial sales window and now the goalposts have moved for this embarrassment.

3.) The average Joe won't hear or care about such "publicity". The only real publicity is how Denuvo is no longer the uncrackable force it claimed to be, and is back to being nothing but a burden on paying customers. Which is what some of us predicted based on the same exact history of StarForce. Which incidentally, is by the same people.

Bowl0l

there is no windos to dual boot into, there never was and never will be - however if there was, then why dual boot instead of just launching big picture mode?
I was assuming Windows will be a walled garden that penalise non-Windows 10 store client. But that is the last thing I assume Microsoft will do since it's borderline crazy.

nkarafo

Was there any proof that the will-buy-if-no-crack demographic is insignificant or nonexistant?
Shouldn't be bigger than the will-not-buy-if-shitty-DRM demographic.

How about the flip side then? Not everyone who downloads a game illegally *wouldn't* have considered buying it, if it was the only way to play the game.
I have only seen this once in my life within my circles. Also, you forget the crowd who refuse to buy games with such DRM methods. Oh and the people who can't afford games (the majority of pirates) won't be able to magically buy one if DRM doesn't let them pirate it.

I think there is a balance. Either way you lose some buyers and you earn some others. I don't think DRM or no DRM makes a big difference. Maybe a small one but the cost of having the DRM in your game and the frustration you cause to honest buyers with it doesn't worth it IMO.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I wish every game could follow the GoG model, but I don't mind Denuvo that much.

Crackers will stay cracking though.

Mendrox

Games like Just Cause 3 and Tales of Berseria are uncracked currently, because CYP waits for the patches to fix the shit that they are currently and then they will crack. They crack games that don't have utter shit performance or stupid bugs in them.

Theonik

Games like Just Cause 3 and Tales of Berseria are uncracked currently, because CYP waits for the patches to fix the shit that they are currently and then they will crack. They crack games that don't have utter shit performance or stupid bugs in them.
So releasing broken games is the best DRM? This explains some PC ports then.

All the people here who know for a fact Denuvo doesn't increase revenue should call up all these publishers and offer their expert advice. They clearly have better data on the matter and can save publishers a pretty penny. They might even offer them a job.

xrnzaaas

Pretty generic response. Either they were surprised by this "victory" and are still finding a good way to get rid of this negative PR, or they simply don't care, because the publisher has already paid for the proection.

Top Bottom