• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denuvo responds to lightning quick Resident Evil 7 PC crack

DRM is like malware that you give specifically to your paying customers. I love it when it fails and ends up being a waste of a company's time and money.

I was assuming Windows will be a walled garden that penalise non-Windows 10 store client. But that is the last thing I assume Microsoft will do since it's borderline crazy.
I actually got you the first time, but I'm not banking on the Tim Sweeney dystopia :)

Icarus

You guys do realize that Deneuvo isn't DRM... it's an anti tamper solution that in effect makes other DRM more secure (e.g. Steam DRM).

Fuchsdh

And yet none of them will ever come close to touching the sales of The Witcher 3, a game available DRM-free on day one.

And The Witcher 3 didn't sell gangbusters because it was DRM-free, so it's a non sequitur.

If a game isn't cracked at release, it means people either buy a legitimate copy or don't play and don't cost the devs or publishers server costs, etc. Those are very real costs, versus "you won't get me to buy it!" arguments, which like "X million copies lost to piracy" aren't empirically testable. So why would publishers risk money for that outlook?

You guys do realize that Deneuvo isn't DRM... it's an anti tamper solution that in effect makes other DRM more secure (e.g. Steam DRM).

The main issue with Denuvo is that it still needs to authenticate with their servers when you first launch it and also does it randomly in the future to re-authenticate, so if you don't have Internet you can't play. It doesn't do it every time, but if you happen not to have Internet when it does then you're screwed. Also opens up the question if Denuvo as a business had to stop, can you trust every game to be patched to remove it? Can't always think that games will stand the test of time and the devs always will be around to do it.

Examples of people unable to launch the game because it couldn't connect to denuvo servers:

Doom: https://steamcommunity.com/app/379720/discussions/0/357286663675892018/
MSGV: https://steamcommunity.com/app/287700/discussions/0/527274088385439050/
MSGV with a gaffer having problems: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1127288&page=1

It's mostly an issue of the future, will it be playable? A while ago I wanted to play some of the NWN DLC/modules but you can't get them any where legally because Bioware took offline the service that authenticates your key, so you have to use a special tool that modders for the game made over the last few years, it's a python tool, otherwise there's no way to play them or even get hold of them legally if you don't already own them.

Carlius

Banned
And The Witcher 3 didn't sell gangbusters because it was DRM-free, so it's a non sequitur.

If a game isn't cracked at release, it means people either buy a legitimate copy or don't play and don't cost the devs or publishers server costs, etc. Those are very real costs, versus "you won't get me to buy it!" arguments, which like "X million copies lost to piracy" aren't empirically testable. So why would publishers risk money for that outlook?

am pretty sure the first month of pc sales for witcher 3 had more units sold on gog.com than on steam. gog was drm free, so yes, being drm free helped the game sell better on pc.

The effect for the end customer is the same, in that it creates a depency on a 3rd party server, for you to access your bought single player games.

There's nothing about "it's just anti tamper" that invalidates peoples concerns about it.

gatti-man

This is great news, this type of DRM is a waste of resources to counter a small portion of lost sales.

This is terrible news because companies will never stop trying to protect their IP. It just means heavier versions will be developed. This will never ever end.

The LEGAL way of accessing music and movies is just as easy as piracy

This is mostly true for music these days but really not accurate at all for television. Even putting aside premium channels like HBO that have their own distinct business model, the networks have invested a lot of effort in making sure people can't stream current seasons of shows, can't catch up on older episodes, can't even see any given show that is streaming unless you maintain 3+ different streaming services, etc. It's definitely easier to find some nerd who has an auto-downloading PLEX setup and hit them up for access than to watch most current, popular TV shows legally online.

Are you guys saying that if every game had DRM that all the pirates would give up gaming and go outside or read a book?

Historically in markets where DRM is actually implemented successfully and price concerns were previously driving rampant piracy it's not unusual to see people move into other hobbies. These days there are no markets where DRM can actually be all-encompassing, so instead in these types of markets you just see DRM-encumbered platforms being insignificant in the market and games that attack the service problem (mostly F2P titles of various sorts) being the most successful.

I'm not really convinced a thousand illegal downloads translates into a thousand lost sales. Not even half, not even 10% in real world terms.

In typical environments, you're generally looking at an estimate somewhere between 5% and zilch in terms of sales uptick from eliminating piracy.

All the people here who know for a fact Denuvo doesn't increase revenue should call up all these publishers and offer their expert advice. They clearly have better data on the matter and can save publishers a pretty penny. They might even offer them a job.

This may shock you, but many people who participate in these threads work in some way in the software or gaming industries and have in fact advocated for these types of positions professionally. The idea that you need to DRM everything isn't some genius calculation from the brains of the industry; it's usually a superstition that people buy into without analysis because for people's individual career it's safer to waste money preventing a fake problem than to risk letting go one unaddressed.

It's definitely easier to find some nerd who has an auto-downloading PLEX setup and hit them up for access than to watch most current, popular TV shows legally online.
You don't have to be a nerd anymore to get your "Add to watchlist" click on IMDB to end up with you receiving a push notification "1080p version has finished downloading, stream now or watch when you get home"

Trup1aya

This is mostly true for music these days but really not accurate at all for television. Even putting aside premium channels like HBO that have their own distinct business model, the networks have invested a lot of effort in making sure people can't stream current seasons of shows, can't catch up on older episodes, can't even see any given show that is streaming unless you maintain 3+ different streaming services, etc. It's definitely easier to find some nerd who has an auto-downloading PLEX setup and hit them up for access than to watch most current, popular TV shows legally online.

Well that's true, i was exaggerating a bit.

But the point I'm trying to make is that music and tv content providers have been altering their business model, trying to treat piracy as a competitor rather than simply as a nuisance, but the deck is stacked against them, as they also have to balance making an equally attractive 'service' with needing to make money.

Literally the only way to truly compete is to offer the content to the end user for free, which still results in a less desirable service (because ads often permeate the experience).

The main issue the never-drm camp seem to have no empathy for is the fact that the MERE EXISTANCE of piracy continues to apply downward pressure on the "percieved value" of entertainment content. So even if not every pirate counts as a lost sale, you still have to account for the fact that even the paying audience has been conditioned to spend way less for more, which dampens the opportunity for profit.

It's never been just about the hypothetically lost sales. It's the devaluation of the IP.

This is the reason why, in entertainment, the ownership model is becoming a thing of the past, replaced by all-you-can-eat subscription services.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Funny thing: the game was cracked, the devs pushed an update on Steam but forgot to include the new Denuvo files, so it was basically DRM-free. Then pushed another "hotfix" to reinstate Denuvo, but it was too late. The "scene" already got hold of the DRM-free version.

Isn`t Conan MMO? Why would someone want to pirate that?

Gamezone

Gold Member
Funny thing: the game was cracked, the devs pushed an update on Steam but forgot to include the new Denuvo files, so it was basically DRM-free. Then pushed another "hotfix" to reinstate Denuvo, but it was too late. The "scene" already got hold of the DRM-free version.

They still probably had to pay full price for Denuvo.

This is terrible news because companies will never stop trying to protect their IP. It just means heavier versions will be developed. This will never ever end.

We could have applied that logic at any time during DRM's history, and yet pushing back against it have resulted in a better situation for customers.

...you do know that online functions are almost universally disabled in pirated copies, yes? What server costs would those be?

Gamezone

Gold Member
Denuvo works in mysterious ways. Dishonored 2 hasn't been cracked, right? The game is good, and it also doesn't have any online features attached to it.

Gitaroo

Denuvo works in mysterious ways. Dishonored 2 hasn't been cracked, right? The game is good, and it also doesn't have any online features attached to it.

maybe interest isnt high enough, game didn't even do that well commercially; price drop after 2 weeks.

Mendrox

They don't crack it because the performance is still shit. They are waiting for patches or won't crack it at all.

Widge

The main issue with Denuvo is that it still needs to authenticate with their servers when you first launch it and also does it randomly in the future to re-authenticate, so if you don't have Internet you can't play. It doesn't do it every time, but if you happen not to have Internet when it does then you're screwed. Also opens up the question if Denuvo as a business had to stop, can you trust every game to be patched to remove it? Can't always think that games will stand the test of time and the devs always will be around to do it.

Examples of people unable to launch the game because it couldn't connect to denuvo servers:

Doom: https://steamcommunity.com/app/379720/discussions/0/357286663675892018/
MSGV: https://steamcommunity.com/app/287700/discussions/0/527274088385439050/
MSGV with a gaffer having problems: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1127288&page=1

It's mostly an issue of the future, will it be playable? A while ago I wanted to play some of the NWN DLC/modules but you can't get them any where legally because Bioware took offline the service that authenticates your key, so you have to use a special tool that modders for the game made over the last few years, it's a python tool, otherwise there's no way to play them or even get hold of them legally if you don't already own them.

I find this the hardest thing to reconcile internally.

I don't want people having trouble accessing and playing a game they've bought.
I don't want companies having their turnover savaged by piracy.

I don't think it affects sales, if people want to priate something, it's unlikely that they would buy it instead if it's not available due to DRM

Idk about all that. I'm sure there's plenty of people that like RE7 enough to buy it, but would still check to see if it was cracked and available for free before they spent their money.

nynt9

I find this the hardest thing to reconcile internally.

I don't want people having trouble accessing and playing a game they've bought.
I don't want companies having their turnover savaged by piracy.

There is no evidence companies are getting "savaged" by piracy. It's a minor factor at best. Don't buy into publisher FUD.

Urthor

Denuvo age has been interesting. On one hand, honestly Denuvo hasn't been like Securom it has had almost zero measurable performance impacts, benchmarks on Doom pre and post Denuvo have shown zero gap for example, and the only user side verification issues are *not installing on more than 5 PCs a day.* Big one there.

On the other, you have to really wonder if it affects sales, devs have been mum about whether, for example, there was a big spike in FIFA sales when people had to stop pirating and start paying post Denuvo. If it did however, honestly more revenue for the game industry is a good thing and will encourage more and more PC ports and *better quality* PC ports because there's more revenue to capture.

Crackers might get it, but a temporary period of almost no AAA game cracks has given me hope that at the end of the tunnel the industry doesn't have to experience serious piracy across its games for much longer. Given the PC market is static, Steam revenue hasn't increased over the past 2 years according to Steamspy, anti piracy measures to capture the maximum revenue to support devs and encourage devs like Rockstar to release PC ports, is all important.

I know lots of people hate Denuvo, but they are more honest ,they just don't want to pay.
The leader of the biggest pc pirate site in my country said:" You guys ask me for pirate everyday, but when you know no pirate version for Rise of Tomb Raider, you bought hundreds of thousands, you actually have money!"

In my cahntry, leader of pirates say "Zero-day cracks you!"

opricnik

Banned
Given the PC market is static, Steam revenue hasn't increased over the past 2 years according to Steamspy, anti piracy measures to capture the maximum revenue to support devs and encourage devs like Rockstar to release PC ports, is all important.

If any dev doesn't need Support to release PC Ports it is Rockstar. They swim in ocean of money and needs "encourage and support" to release games? They could fuck off if they don't wanna support PC players.

Denuvo age has been interesting. On one hand, honestly Denuvo hasn't been like Securom it has had almost zero measurable performance impacts, benchmarks on Doom pre and post Denuvo have shown zero gap for example, and the only user side verification issues are *not installing on more than 5 PCs a day.* Big one there.

On the other, you have to really wonder if it affects sales, devs have been mum about whether, for example, there was a big spike in FIFA sales when people had to stop pirating and start paying post Denuvo. If it did however, honestly more revenue for the game industry is a good thing and will encourage more and more PC ports and *better quality* PC ports because there's more revenue to capture.

Crackers might get it, but a temporary period of almost no AAA game cracks has given me hope that at the end of the tunnel the industry doesn't have to experience serious piracy across its games for much longer. Given the PC market is static, Steam revenue hasn't increased over the past 2 years according to Steamspy, anti piracy measures to capture the maximum revenue to support devs and encourage devs like Rockstar to release PC ports, is all important.

That is untrue. Revenue were flat but it still managed to stay on the same level without high profile releases like 2015 had with Fallout 4 or GTA V.

jmga

Denuvo age has been interesting. On one hand, honestly Denuvo hasn't been like Securom it has had almost zero measurable performance impacts, benchmarks on Doom pre and post Denuvo have shown zero gap for example, and the only user side verification issues are *not installing on more than 5 PCs a day.* Big one there. .

Can you post those benchmarks?

xVodevil

Wouldn't mind if that's the end of it...
Again, we know, you can sell games DRM free... big time! So yeah... imo it only supports developer/publisher laziness backed up with greed.
And on the other hand pirates won't buy depending on DRM, they'll wait, they'll pick from the games they can pick from... I rather saw potential buyers scared off...

Gamezone

Gold Member
When this game was cracked, everyone was screaming that Denuvo was done. Yet games like Mass Effect Andromeda has been out for weeks without a crack, and others even years. Are they constantly evolving it?

Top Bottom