• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Beta |OT| Garry's Mod

What's the best class?

Results are only viewable after voting.
No, Vanilla destiny is widely regarded as shipping with too little content. The answer shouldn't have been show them less of our content in the beta , the answer should have been, ship more content***

*** Obviously the verdict on this is going to be determined by the final product.
Honestly, I think the Destiny "lack of content" would be much less glaring if the campaign was higher quality

Instead they gave a bunch of stuff that's fairly replayable but pretty much worthless as far as a campaign goes. Add in people who don't care about PvP and it becomes a way bigger issue

Despite being sold on the game thus far I'm worried about how they've only shown off the first mission. Because it's easy to put out one mission in an area we presumably aren't returning to and say "WHOA ISN'T THIS CRAZY?" and then have the rest of the game be like the first. Dull, walking through the same locations

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Well, it turns out the Destiny gameplay is still fun. I enjoyed the story mission and hope the campaign will remain that quality throughout. The Spire strike felt a little too familiar. Refuse to touch PvP.

Gator86

Well, it turns out the Destiny gameplay is still fun. I enjoyed the story mission and hope the campaign will remain that quality throughout. The Spire strike felt a little too familiar. Refuse to touch PvP.

It's worth trying, at least. They're gonna force you to play it in the final game anyway so may as well check out the changes. It's less loathesome than in D1.

eizarus

Banned
Some thoughts after playing more rounds of Crucible (control):

-Supers need to be available quicker. Nades and abilities aren't too bad, but Supers definitely need a buff

-Shaxx commentary is still GOAT

-Submachine guns feel like a waste right now. Too unstable for close range, and too much damage drop off for long range

-Im glad it's not near impossible to kill someone who's activated their Super.

Overall I'm enjoying it and looking forward to seeing new additions over the coming months.

ramyeon

Some thoughts after playing more rounds of Crucible (control):

-Supers need to be available quicker. Nades and abilities aren't too bad, but Supers definitely need a buff

-Shaxx commentary is still GOAT

-Submachine guns feel like a waste right now. Too unstable for close range, and too much damage drop off for long range

-Im glad it's not near impossible to kill someone who's activated their Super.

Overall I'm enjoying it and looking forward to seeing new additions over the coming months.
If super gen got a buff I'd be more than happy with Crucible in this state I think. Only get it once and usually at the very end of a match is pretty unsatisfying.

jviggy43

That's irrelevant. The relevant point is that Bungie didn't want to show too much of Destiny 2, so things are the way they are with the beta

If you can't understand that, that's on you

I mean...yes? Lol Which in and of itself is causing some of the perception problems with this game.

I also wouldn't regard it as irrelevant given you stated D1 beta had "too much" content.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
It's worth trying, at least. They're gonna force you to play it in the final game anyway so may as well check out the changes. It's less loathesome than in D1.
Nah. Maybe when the PC version comes out and I can use kb/m, but even then...I loathe the balancing and mechanics of their PvP. It's not for me whatsoever.

REV 09

Got bored in the opening mission. Quit out to play pvp only to realize that I'm now forced to start the main mission over. Can't jump to other modes : /.

Dante316

The 4v4 sure is interesting..it made me move careful and strategize. Which can be good I guess but 6v6 definitely presented a more careless fun method to the madnesses. Overall tight controls and fun story. Glad they holding many things back.

Try going to save data management then try uploading save data. It will tell you that you need PS+ but if you haven't used the 2 day option before a 2 day trial where you don't need to put in payment method will pop up.

I couldn't get into any of the modes after the tutorial mission finished.

Right, I definitely haven't used the 2 day trial. I'll try it later tonight, thanks.

I only play SP games and I'm not planning to play Destiny 2 on PS4 so I never had a PS plus. Going to get the PC version later.

So I haven't started up the beta yet, but can someone tell me if lightning grenades and sticky grenades, namely fusion grenades, have been rightfully nerfed from D1? Also, please tell me Titans still don't have that bs shoulder charge either.

Jblanks

story and strike mission were boring linear call of duty levels

snarky preteen humor does not improve the story especially when you can't mute the voices

the new music is disposable action movie stuff, nothing memorable

bland MMO boss arena fight

crucible maps are flat and dull rooms and corridors

I adored Destiny 1 but nothing in this beta would I ever want to play again. Considering canceling preorder though I still hold out hope that some areas of the main game might be fun to explore and strategize and compete in...

I never enjoyed the Raids in Destiny 1 though, they had none of the multi-dimensional elegance of the better combat arenas, loot chest hunting, or crucible maps, they were just linear sequences of zelda dungeon and puzzle bosses you had to boringly repeat until nobody screwed up

I think the music has been really good and is one of the best parts so far. The ambient sounds are great in the strike. It's a little weird seeing how much you hate the strike when you adored Destiny 1, and this strike would probably be the best strike if it was in Destiny 1... and the majority of Destiny 1's story missions were quite linear, same with the strikes.

So I haven't started up the beta yet, but can someone tell me if lightning grenades and sticky grenades, namely fusion grenades, have been rightfully nerfed from D1? Also, please tell me Titans still don't have that bs shoulder charge either.
Lightning grenades seem quite strong. Maybe even stronger? I got killed by them quite a bit in crucible.

That part in the opening mission when
other human players show up.
Godlike.
This was awesome. Hope whole campaign is like that .

It really feels like a mistake to not include any enemy loot drops or patrol areas in the Beta. I get that they would want to save stuff for the full game, but the open world events are what makes Destiny special, only being able to do isolated activities makes the game feel broken apart instead of one experience to me.
Yeah, they still don't seem to know quite how to sell people on the game without giving too much away. I think the beta should have included loot drops from the smaller loot table the beta has, and one patrol area. As it is, people are likely to finish the intro mission, do the Strike mission once, and then after that all that's left is the PvP.

Nearly all the weapons we're given suck. The only loot I got in the intro mission was an exotic SMG that was significantly worse than the default auto rifle. Ammo drops seemed... Weird? Like, I would only ever get ammo when I really needed it. The game would wait for me to have 0 ammo in a weapon type before it gave me any.

Also, maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I felt there weren't any secrets tucked away in the intro mission? The areas looked like they could be explored, but there was nothing to find. Then again, that's largely a problem I had with the first Destiny. They gave us decently sized sandboxes with no reason to leave the linear path of enemy spawns.

This beta seems like a way to try and sell the game to someone new to the series or something (and maybe not even that). I thought the selling points of Destiny 2 were that the patrol areas would be improved upon due to the fact that they've improved upon the engine, allowing them to do a lot of stuff they couldn't before. I wanted to see an example of this new stuff.

Lnkn52

Homecoming felt like Destiny 2 the rollercoaster ride.

Especially the area with Zhavala, match making would rotate blue berries lol.

Still fun though and it looks amazing!

Rofl, omg, Power weapons are so going to get nerfed hard.

You get a power weapon and you can just run over everyone in Crucible. I get a fusion rifle and I get 6 shots, I get 6 kills. Guy on the other team gets a shotgun, 2 minutes later he still has one, still one shotting people.

This is untenable.

Rofl, omg, Power weapons are so going to get nerfed hard.

You get a power weapon and you can just run over everyone in Crucible. I get a fusion rifle and I get 6 shots, I get 6 kills. Guy on the other team gets a shotgun, 2 minutes later he still has one, still one shotting people.

This is untenable.

plz no

you know this means they'll nerf them in pve too

plz no

giphy.gif

And fusion rifles will get nerfed first!

I actually love how the power weapons thing works in Crucible

I think I'm so used to the old way that I didn't actually realize how frequently it spawns. It's like basically special ammo levels of frequency (the patched one when they first mega nerfed it)

I don't have a shotgun yet but I might just stick with Fusion rifle. It's so much fun

plz no

I played the Story Mission 3 times and the Strike 7-8 times and the power weapons I used didn't seem all that strong to begin with, then again I think the only ones I used were the Sniper, Shotgun, and Grenade Launcher but none of them felt over-powered or anything and ammo was lacking.

It feels like they pulled back on everything.

Less movement.
Less supers.
Less special ammo (power ammo).

I'm getting my super at best once per game and I'm slaying.

Part of me kind of likes the limited supers in Crucible, makes it meaningful and more about using them smartly, but idk

It's a weird balance where they've pretty much eliminated the chaos that largely identified the first game's multiplayer, but the end result is still really good?

I played the Story Mission 3 times and the Strike 7-8 times and the power weapons I used didn't seem all that strong to begin with, then again I think the only ones I used were the Sniper, Shotgun, and Grenade Launcher but none of them felt over-powered or anything and ammo was lacking.

Try Fusion Rifle in Control. It's monstrous. You get 6 shots and they have incredible range.

K' Dash

is it me or the beta for the first game had more meat? I remember you could explore old russia, do a couple missions and a strike, all on earth.

am I missing something?

Honestly, I think the Destiny "lack of content" would be much less glaring if the campaign was higher quality

Instead they gave a bunch of stuff that's fairly replayable but pretty much worthless as far as a campaign goes. Add in people who don't care about PvP and it becomes a way bigger issue

Despite being sold on the game thus far I'm worried about how they've only shown off the first mission. Because it's easy to put out one mission in an area we presumably aren't returning to and say "WHOA ISN'T THIS CRAZY?" and then have the rest of the game be like the first. Dull, walking through the same locations

Old and busted: Destiny beta showed too much.

New hotness: Destiny beta didn't show enough.

Option-

The beta for the first game was almost 25% of the full product

i disagree. the post content especeally pvp was easily 100 hours + for many people (8+ maps, different modes)
there were 9 or so strikes, a story line, multiple unique exotics etc.

I think people put too much weight on concept vs contet as D1 beta showed us the general concept, but 1 of 4 planet didn´t equal 25% in this game.

Feonix

I can't imagine anyone liking this who wasn't in love with the first. I put a ton of time into the original but couldn't even stomach finishing the strike in this. What a dreadful, dreadful disappointment this franchise is as a whole. It is actually mindblowing that Bungie, the creator of Halo, put together something as poor as this. They are a company that seems to have completely lost their soul.

I found Halo completely uninspired, drab, and boring as hell to play. I find Destiny (and the Destiny 2 beta) incredibly fun and unique. To each his own, I guess. I'll never understand some people's worship of Halo and I suppose some people will never understand Destiny.

For me, the story and strike in the beta were extremely fun. The story mission was very engaging and the gunplay was tighter than ever.

i disagree. the post content especeally pvp was easily 100 hours + for many people (8+ maps, different modes)
there were 9 or so strikes, a story line, multiple unique exotics etc.

I think people put too much weight on concept vs contet as D1 beta showed us the general concept, but 1 of 4 planet didn´t equal 25% in this game.

It was Earth and part of the Moon for the Beta and vanilla Destiny only had 6 Strikes (5 on Xbox).

Trace

Banned
Super CD and grenade CD are the main problems with crucible at the moment. Aside from that it's feeling pretty good.

Top Bottom