• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Beta |OT| Garry's Mod

What's the best class?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Spades

giphy.gif

Loving it so far. Feels very fresh for a D1 vet.

nOoblet16

i just got the title of the thread Lmao

I'm surprised so few people made the connection. I imagined more people would get it when I suggested the title.

For those who don't get it, Garry's Mod is a Half Life 2 mod. Garry is the name given by Cayde for the main villain in Destiny 2 who has fucked things up and changed everything from how it was in Destiny 1. That plus I was also thinking about how people were talking about how Destiny 2 just looks like a mod/expansion of Destiny 1.

It's not really as clever but other titles were worse I guess :p

played my first couple matches of Control PVP...I actually got 10 kills in one match (and I think 10 deaths...lol)

but honestly that's better than I normally ever do because I'm a horrible PVP player

maybe I'll play more PVP this time around...I just have to get used to playing Destiny again since it's been a while since I played

It feels like the rocket jump or double jump or whatever it's called feels slower and heavier. I feel like I'm drifting forever when I just want to get down.

It looks pretty. That's the best I can say. It's just more Destiny. Not sure I'll keep this preorder after all.

Sarcasm

I also don't understand weapon switching. You can only equip 2 or 3? How do you determine this in your inventory pane exactly?

rezn0r

You guys beat the Strike already? These randoms are kinda shit

I beat it the first time probably 40 minutes after it went live, and felt like I soloed the thing (I'm not awesome, I was just with some really bad shitheads). It was really, really annoying.

Nauren

Found a pike at the beginning of the strike. I got it across the jumping platforms but it won't go through the portal that tosses you across the map... shame. I wanted to fight the boss on a pike^^

Beat the strike 3 times now. Fun.

I think I'm done with the Beta for today but I've enjoyed it. Will definitely be picking this up once September rolls around. I'll probably play more tomorrow (hopefully with some others here) so I can get through the Strike at least.

Azerare

Thanks.

I never played the first Destiny, but are most dungeons stories liek this? If so I don't know.

Movement feels slow. The gun play is decent, it is going to be awesome on PC lol. Game looks super on my lent OG PS4.

I will still buy.
The strike portion is basically accurate for how Destiny handles them.

Story campaign is new territory.

I'd agree that the game does look great on the OG PS4. I was very surprised

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't get over how nice this game looks. Some of the lighting decisions are just stunning.

void666

Banned
I'm having fun playing crucible. It's action packed despite being 4v4.
Abilities cooldown could be a little faster. But the way it is now isn't game breaking.

Grenade launchers are useless. Or maybe i just don't know how to use them properly.

Tovarisc

Maybe it's me then. I'm so used to Titan jumping that Warlock jumping just feels neutered.

But I think I will main Warlock this time round.

Warlock glide in D1 felt sharp and fast way to move while getting some nice air and, well, glide. Blink was very sharp and snappy way of traversing in short bursts.

In D2 glide feels too heavy and slow, couldn't find any mod for it that felt good. Blink is just embarrassing shitshow now and shows how traumatized blinkshotty made Bungie so they are overcompensating now.

Also sucks you really can't anymore speed boost with glide like you can in D1. Movement tech is ded :/

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm soft locked in the story intro? It says to return to the north plaza and I'm in on a balcony with a burning tree. Can't work out where to go!

Pretty sure you can't do heroics with guided games, so it's basically a pointless feature.

If you can't make some friends through guided games to play heroics with then you might have some social issues. Destiny is a social game. If you are that opposed to interacting directly with others or you just don't have the time then it probably isn't for you. I consider myself an introvert and it has never been a problem for me.

Magwik

Banned
I have to agree with most of this.

I don't think the strike is bad. In theory, it iterates on every element of a Destiny 1 strike, but the pacing is off. And despite the dynamic area and varied boss attacks, I still don't like shooting a boss and watching their armor and weakpoints stay the same.

On the point of the music, I really like the reduxes of the Destiny 1 theme, but that's Marty's music after all. I haven't heard much memorable original music, if any.

Beyond the more "cinematic story", FX, graphics and sound design - some of which is too homogenous - I honestly think this is weaker than Destiny 1 in every other way. The hidden cooldowns everywhere water down the combat, which somehow feels incredibly imprecise and repetitive. All of the weapons feel weak and the classes lack punch, with Hunters being more or less being irrelevant. The level design is incredibly bland too, highlighting the repetitive combat even further. And they even managed to make the UI more intrusive. At times I get my healthbar mixed up with the scoring UI at a glance, which is just unacceptable.

I think this will probably be a great game next year, assuming Bungie doesn't manage to fuck up like they did with the first game. But if this one launched like this with the core gameplay being similar, I'd have no reservations in saying it's one of the dullest games I've played.
I'd like to believe they are holding their cards close to their chest for some of these particular reasons, but I'm not holding out much hope.
I'm really interested to see how the PC market reacts to Destiny 2 when the beta is out/it launches.

I think I'm soft locked in the story intro? It says to return to the north plaza and I'm in on a balcony with a burning tree. Can't work out where to go!

Same thing happened to me. Ultimately ended up getting thrown out and started from the top. Got through the second time, though.

Azerare

I feel the ability cooldowns (at least for striker) are good for PvP. Titan's barricade shield is nice as well.

I just like the work they put into titans. Tempted to stray from making a hunter my main. Arc strider is fun for the flips with the ult. Rest of the abilities are blade dancer 2.0 minus blink strike range (the lack of I mean).

PvE. They NEED to greatly increase power weapon ammo rate. Otherwise the strike boss takes too long (the entire strike). That or beef up the other weapons damage. They feel like pea shooters besides the exotic handcannon and minigun.

LiK

Ugh, I didn't even use the Legendary AR I got from Story mode in the Strike. Forgot to switch weapons. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow.

So I was planning to cancel my preorder once I was finished with the beta, but not anymore.

I'm really impressed with what I've played so far; huge improvement from the first game.

LiK

I am happy the jumping feels better. I'm imagining how massive the Raids might end up being now with the way the Strike was done.

ramyeon

If you can't make some friends through guided games to play heroics with then you might have some social issues. Destiny is social game. If you are that opposed to interacting directly with the others or you just don't have the time then it probably isn't for you. I consider myself an introvert and it has never been a problem for me.
Not to mention the social aspect is the best part.

I started Destiny 1 a few months ago and began using LFG sites like the100 and it was great, but now I've got a group on Band and Raids are the best part of the game - not to mention having people to chat to about Destiny outside of playing the game.

Also quite introverted with strangers and rarely use mic for other games.

Wallach

Huh. Yeah I don't know what to think about that. I actually just closed out of it when the ship mechanic flew me up to the Cabal ship.

People are not kidding when they say the gunplay feels off. First off, none of the weapons they start you off with sound good. This is critical. The sound design of the entire first section was like one big endless cacophony of noise. Gunfire in Destiny should carry distinctly over every other thing that could possibly be happening on your screen, it's one of the things they got perfectly right in the first game. So immediately something doesn't feel right.

The recoil of these weapons - mind you, neither of the ones I primarily used (the Exotic you get from the armory and the SMG they start you with) had familiar recoil patterns - feels like it is moving the screen differently than recoil would in Destiny 1. Both of my weapons were high ROF weapons and neither one felt like high ROF weapons used to feel. Not in a good way either, tracking things with your eyes is really not easy in the entire first section, whereas I cannot remember this being a real problem before.

The worst thing though is the impact of shots against enemy Cabal. This felt totally fucked between the weapon sounds and lack of enemy reaction these weapons felt completely limp. Even a Kalashnikov would slam back a Fallen's shoulder or leg, but here there isn't a real connection between the round and the target. In the first Destiny, if you decided to hide all of the health bars on enemies, there would be no confusion over who you hit with a shot or where you hit them. Here if you hid the health bars you'd just see dudes glowing white for some reason and you could easily lose that among all the other shit going on in the cramped FOV.

This is a real problem. If you ask me gunplay is all Destiny really had on lock for the PvE side of things. It's loose and hollow in this slice they're showing.

Ramirez

My take on the ability recharge is that more than likely, armor will have perks, or certain exotics will boost what you want to specialize in. There was no choice to be made in Destiny 1, you got everything as powerful as you wanted it really. I'm hoping what I say is true and they make you pick what you actually want to be readily available. No more 2 grenades on fast recharge, as well as your super being up every couple minutes, while packing a Gjallerhorn and some other OP sniper/shotgun combo.

I really like the changes if they support them with the right systems in the game. There's no way the gear won't effect stuff, we are essentially new level 20/40 babies gear wise in the beta.

I think I would be more excited if control got more than one map. I can only play that stage so many times. On the plus side fusions are still as fun as ever. Voop voop!

mcfrank

I think the biggest problem with this beta compared to the beta for Destiny 1 is that you do not get any sense of building your character in this one. You do not really get loot, the best gun you are going to find you get 30 seconds into the first mission, and you do not progress at all. In the Destiny 1 alpha and beta, you leveled up, you got gear, you felt like you were improving your character and that kept me coming back for more (around 40 hours just on the beta). Even though the progress was going to be wiped, I still felt like I was accomplishing this. The beta for 2 highlights the worst aspects of Destiny (the repetition) with none of the positives (loot, unique weapons, social spaces, leveling up). While I think the game will end up being good, as a package to highlight what makes Destiny special - what makes it different than other FPS games, this beta fails pretty hard. I feel like I am done with it after about 3 hours of play time. Go back and re-read the Destiny 1 beta thread. People were so pumped to be decrypting engrams. What are people supposed to be pumped up about in this beta?

Sad.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I did that once, how do you ledge grab? I missed soo many ledges.

How do you boost? I was jumping and felt like little control and slow speed.
You just get close to a ledge while jumping.

Double tap X to get the speed boost when you have the enhanced speed jump selected

Top Bottom