• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Beta |OT| Garry's Mod

What's the best class?

Results are only viewable after voting.

border

So far it just feels like everything got nerfed.

Long cooldowns on abilities that weren't that strong to begin with.

Punches and grenades just seem weaker.

Really limited access to shotgun/sniper.

New Supers are cool but seem to take a really long time to charge.

Perks and stat bonuses on gear are mostly underwhelming.

Having an elemental primary is really nowhere near as interesting as having a Special weapon was......it feels like I'm using Primary 95% of the time.

GlamFM

Banned
EvjWGNp.gif

5ZefJlK.gif

Gorgeous

arimanius

This is why Raids will NEVER HAVE MATCHMAKING!

Once you get to Phase 3, save everything for last 10% shit becomes a DPS check of MMO fame
They throw so many adds and Boss just hurr durr stomp every few seconds that you need to massacre the field

Also positioning is key, if grouped up, GG, fission mailed

lucille-portable.gif

PtKid

Banned
Am I the only one underwhelmed by the whole thing?

Other than being nicer to look at I am struggling to see improvements. The shooting feels worse than Destiny 1, I can't put my finger on it but feels heavier?

I don't get excited by crucible, but the Homecoming mission is just boring... it's same shit again. Throw a bunch of mobs at you with a few "bosses" for good measure, scan some shit and you are done...

Maybe I am being overly negative but I have very disappointed by it.

Too bad the boss doesn't have even 10% of the complexity of a raid and is just a bullet sponge made worse due to the new weapon system.

I don’t see how you can say that. He has four full phases.
Phase 1 he teleports all over the arena.
Phase 2 he stands still & fires his gun or ignited the floor
Phase 3 has him rotating outside the arena & temporarily blinding you
Phase 4 (when you knock off his head) he charges right at you.

And there are 3 arenas.

He’s a sponge definitely & you get no feedback or satisfaction from shooting him, but he’s hardly Value McDickface bags of hitpoints who just stands there.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

Having an elemental primary is really nowhere near as interesting as having a Special weapon was......it feels like I'm using Primary 95% of the time.

Pretty much.

Azerare

Yeah the class abilities feel weird. Melees across the board take like 3-4 hits.
Strikers shoulder charge doesn't seem worth it as the delay leaves you wide open and it doesn't guarantee a kill.
The limit of heavy ammo and the power weapons locked to them make the strike take a bit unless you're rolling three Titan's with minigun.
Supers seem to take a bit to charge and use.

I do like how the abilities are modular though. Titan definitely got most of the creative input.

Well, i´m pleased, gameplay is still top notch and they didnt fuck up gunslinger, that dodge is really cool, i´m not so sure about the arcstryder tho, and the sniper rifle feels weird...pretty fun game so far nonetheless

arimanius

Eye roll for what reason?

This is why Raids will NEVER HAVE MATCHMAKING!

I'm in the camp that matchmaking needs to be a part of everything in the game or at least an in game lfg. Also it's a beta. So many new people, limited weapons, limited armor, etc so the strike difficulty I'm taking with a grain of salt right now since who knows how the difficulty will change when everything is available.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
You guys beat the Strike already? These randoms are kinda shit

Twice lol, randoms can be infuriating, luckily my 2 squads knew what to do quick, after a few deaths we then figured out how to beat it

Once you realize how the adds and the boss roams, it's easy

Van Bur3n

So Bungie being Bungie as usual. No fun allowed.

TsuWave

You've played one story mission ffs. You think they are gonna let you try out top weaponry in a one mission beta? Damn.

i dunno why people think its ok to form positive opinions on the strength of a beta but flip out when people form negative opinions/are not feeling.

i actually praised the mission, however, i don't like the changes to ability cooldowns and the whole two primary weapons system, its incredibly detrimental to my "fun", simple as.

Am I the only one underwhelmed by the whole thing?

Other than being nicer to look at I am struggling to see improvements. The shooting feels worse than Destiny 1, I can't put my finger on it but feels heavier?

I don't get excited by crucible, but the Homecoming mission is just boring... it's same shit again. Throw a bunch of mobs at you with a few "bosses" for good measure, scan some shit and you are done...

Maybe I am being overly negative but I have very disappointed by it.

I haven't played the beta yet, but I find not my very excited to play it at this moment. I'll probably try to find the time to at least play the first mission tonight, but no it doesn't feel like a full blown sequel from all the news so far.

orborborb

story and strike mission were boring linear call of duty levels

snarky preteen humor does not improve the story especially when you can't mute the voices

the new music is disposable action movie stuff, nothing memorable

bland MMO boss arena fight

crucible maps are flat and dull rooms and corridors

I adored Destiny 1 but nothing in this beta would I ever want to play again. Considering canceling preorder though I still hold out hope that some areas of the main game might be fun to explore and strategize and compete in...

I never enjoyed the Raids in Destiny 1 though, they had none of the multi-dimensional elegance of the better combat arenas, loot chest hunting, or crucible maps, they were just linear sequences of zelda dungeon and puzzle bosses you had to boringly repeat until nobody screwed up

Sarcasm

So how do you dodge?

Also that mission at the start was kinda of meh.

So after that you can only do :

A strike (pve) and two pvp modes right?

Azerare

So how do you dodge?

Also that mission at the start was kinda of meh.

So after that yikes can only do :

A strike (pve) and two pvp modes right?
Dodge/roll is double tapping crouch button if you're a hunter. It's on a cooldown though as an ability.

Yup. The social space will be available the last hour of the beta apparently.

Finaj

Destiny really needs raid matchmaking. Everyone dreaded WoW patch 4.3 when it got added, but it became more accepted over time. It's really the only way someone like me can engage in raid content.

Rainmaker

Banned
would've been cool if they had an easily repeatable thing in here for people that prefer PvE like me but I guess you could argue that's what the strike is. idk. Anyway, the first mission was incredible. If all of the missions are up to that standard I'll be in love.

The thing I don't understand about not wanting raid matchmaking is if you don't want to use it you don't have to. It's really that simple.

Raven117

Destiny really needs raid matchmaking. Everyone dreaded WoW patch 4.3 when it got added, but it became more accepted over time. It's really the only way someone like me can engage in raid content.

You are on Gaf, mi amigo. We are legion. Playing with a Gaf team is sublime gaming. When the OT gets fired up, just post, folks will find you.

story and strike mission were boring linear call of duty levels

snarky preteen humor does not improve the story especially when you can't mute the voices

the new music is disposable action movie stuff, nothing memorable

bland MMO boss arena fight

crucible maps are flat and dull rooms and corridors

I adored Destiny 1 but nothing in this beta would I ever want to play again. Considering canceling preorder though I still hold out hope that some areas of the main game might be fun to explore and strategize and compete in...

I never enjoyed the Raids in Destiny 1 though, they had none of the multi-dimensional elegance of the better combat arenas, loot chest hunting, or crucible maps, they were just linear sequences of zelda dungeon and puzzle bosses you had to boringly repeat until nobody screwed up

I have to agree with most of this.

I don't think the strike is bad. In theory, it iterates on every element of a Destiny 1 strike, but the pacing is off. And despite the dynamic area and varied boss attacks, I still don't like shooting a boss and watching their armor and weakpoints stay the same.

On the point of the music, I really like the reduxes of the Destiny 1 theme, but that's Marty's music after all. I haven't heard much memorable original music, if any.

Beyond the more "cinematic story", FX, graphics and sound design - some of which is too homogenous - I honestly think this is weaker than Destiny 1 in every other way. The hidden cooldowns everywhere water down the combat, which somehow feels incredibly imprecise and repetitive. All of the weapons feel weak and the classes lack punch, with Hunters being more or less being irrelevant. The level design is incredibly bland too, highlighting the repetitive combat even further. And they even managed to make the UI more intrusive. At times I get my healthbar mixed up with the scoring UI at a glance, which is just unacceptable.

I think this will probably be a great game next year, assuming Bungie doesn't manage to fuck up like they did with the first game. But if this one launched like this with the core gameplay being similar, I'd have no reservations in saying it's one of the dullest games I've played.

Sarcasm

Dodge/roll is double tapping crouch button if you're a hunter. It's on a cooldown though as an ability.

Yup. The social space will be available the last hour of the beta apparently.

Thanks.

I never played the first Destiny, but are most dungeons stories liek this? If so I don't know.

Movement feels slow. The gun play is decent, it is going to be awesome on PC lol. Game looks super on my lent OG PS4.

I will still buy.

broony

There is raid matchmaking in the form of guided games. Have google if you haven't already read about it.

They have an in-game system set up for solo players like you. Plus you are on GAF where there is no shortage of people to play with.

ACR0019

They're adding Guided Games, or a good equivalent to raid matchmaking, for many activities in D2

LiK

Never mind. Beat the Strike in second try, had some decent Randoms who didn't keep dying in this session.

Fun fun. Not gonna play PVP. Not in the mood but I really enjoyed it. Can't wait to see what missions show up in full game.

Top Bottom