• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Beta |OT| Garry's Mod

What's the best class?

Results are only viewable after voting.
The problem seems to not understand is the fact that no matter what the hunter does, it's worse than their counterparts. That's the problem of the whole class!
Nothing of what is capable to do has an inmense weight or strenght to justify using them, not even the orbs.

Calling tether extremely useful is just as bad as saying a Sunsinger was bad cause self res is a passive super, both arguments are wrong and with numbers a sunsinger is way more useful than tether.

I think it's safe to say that both night stalker and Sunsinger are top 3 subclasses.

defender being#1

He's right. Sunsinger has serious damage output. More so than tether.

Became incredible for aksis.

The optimal situation is running Viking Funeral with Tether and Weapons.

Melting Point combines better with Weapons but it requires a fucking melee which is needlessly dangerous to apply to a boss at best.

2/2/2 class comp is best. Saying Nightstalkers are useless in PvE is wrong and citing Self Res as important in PvE is also wrong.

Any skill the requires that you DIE before it becomes useful is not a good skill. You shouldn't die ever if avoidable.

The problem is that people seems to not understand the fact that no matter what the hunter does, it's worse than their counterparts. That's the problem of the whole class!
Nothing of what is capable to do has an inmense weight or strenght to justify using them, not even the orbs.

Calling tether extremely useful is just as bad as saying a Sunsinger was bad cause self res is a passive super, both arguments are wrong and with numbers a sunsinger is way more useful than tether.

It's super weird that you're sticking to "numbers" so hard on one hand while saying Self Res is positive on the other when dying is the ultimate loss of DPS. Sunsingers aren't bad because of Self-Res. Self-Res is a bad Super when talking about PvE effectiveness.

That's cool though. Sunsinger was the only Warlock class I liked in D1 and seems to be the class I'll be playing this time around unless I get tired of wasting the super.

He's right. Sunsinger has serious damage output. More so than tether.

Became incredible for aksis.

15% when it's fully stacked on Viking Funeral, but the more important part of it is that it stacks with WoL and Melting point.

A Sunbreaker still has the biggest damage output of them all, i mean, you can kill aksis SOLO doing almost 4 millon damage per phase. It's crazy.

The optimal situation is running Viking Funeral with Tether and Weapons.

Melting Point combines better with Weapons but it requires a fucking melee which is needlessly dangerous to apply to a boss at best.

2/2/2 class comp is best. Saying Nightstalkers are useless in PvE is wrong and citing Self Res as important in PvE is also wrong.

Any skill the requires that you DIE before it becomes useful is not a good skill. You shouldn't die ever if avoidable.

4 Titans 2 Warlocks. That's your ideal team. The team that finishes 1st the D2 launch raid will have 4 Warlocks and 2 titans, you can quote me on that when the time comes.

It doesn't requiere you to die, Self res is just perk of that tree.

jmartoine

The problem is that people seems to not understand the fact that no matter what the hunter does, it's worse than their counterparts. That's the problem of the whole class!

While that may be true, surely they only takes into account the top level players and those that want to breeze through the content as fast as they can?

Many people myself included play their classes based on what they enjoy and adjust their subclasses to fit that role. The main raiding group consisted of 2 warlock, 1 titan and 3 hunters in year 2 and 3.

2 sunsinger, 1 guardian and 3 nightstalker hunters. At no time did we ever feel seriously gimped because we had three hunters, if anything we felt things were smoother as nightstalker has better PVE utility than either GG or Arcblade had in year 1.

That being said Hunters as a whole are getting shafted in D2, unless they have reworked nightstalker to be the best PVE utility class in the game they will be ignored when it comes to the ideal comps for endgame.

Dynomutt

That's cool though. Sunsinger was the only Warlock class I liked in D1 and seems to be the class I'll be playing this time around unless I get tired of wasting the super.

Don't sleep on Voidwalker in this game. Nova bomb tracks and splits into axion seekers. You can shoot the Nova bomb to launch teh seekers early and both the bomb and seeekrs track well. the healing and empowering rifts carry over from Dawnblade. You can also overcharge your grenade by holding L1. Did this with the vortex grenade and it does work it also adds an additional seeker or increases the number of scatters for that grenade. The Voidwalker feels good actually.

I don't think one subclass is going to make up for the other two sucking in both PvE and PvP. There's no reason to play a Hunter right now at all.

You should be able to dodge every 5 seconds. That would make them masters of the gun game, unlike now where you can just play a Warlock and dodge about twice as often.

Don't sleep on Voidwalker in this game. Nova bomb tracks and splits into axion seekers. You can shoot the Nova bomb to launch teh seekers early and both the bomb and seeekrs track well. the healing and empowering rifts carry over from Dawnblade. You can also overcharge your grenade by holding L1. Did this with the vortex grenade and it does work it also adds an additional seeker or increases the number of scatters for that grenade. The Voidwalker feels good actually.

No Icarus dodge though. Deal breaker for me with how long the kill times are.

Dynomutt

I don't think one subclass is going to make up for the other two sucking in both PvE and PvP. There's no reason to play a Hunter right now at all.

I do like this move. I think more are bummed about self-revive though. Now Warlocks have to earn their keep! I will admit I used it as a crutch. VOG is nice because so many orbs generated meant putting my Super to use on Goblins and Leigons. Will have to adjust play. I'm such a jumpy player I feel I am always dodging so Icarus Dodge to me is moot but probably more beneficial than I give it credit for. At least if it automatically regen'd health or did something offensive.

I think it's safe to say that both night stalker and Sunsinger are top 3 subclasses.

defender being#1

Yeah, I don't even see how this is in question for anyone who played Destiny PvE activities regularly. There have been some encounters at different points in time throughout Destiny's lifespan where other subclasses might have been favored but Defender, Nightstalker, and Sunsinger were/are easily the most useful overall.

That said, I dream of having every subclass play meaningful and viable roles in the most difficult PvE content the game dishes out.

Is this Beta going to have an open stage at all? I kinda enjoyed D1 briefly, got bored as shit soon after getting the mythoclast though and didn't stick around for the dlc. I've been tempted to give D2 a go but I didn't enjoy the first enough to slap down money on a pre-order just for a beta.

4 Titans 2 Warlocks. That's your ideal team. The team that finishes 1st the D2 launch raid will have 4 Warlocks and 2 titans, you can quote me on that when the time comes.

Self Res literally requires you to die for it to be useful. You literally can not res if you're not dead. It is not a perk. It is a crutch.

And outside of theory crafting, MP is not useful in boss fights, which is the only place dmg buffs/debuffs actually matter. Punching a boss is 9/10 times a bad risk to reward scenario because a timed DPS boost doesn't make up for the loss of DPS if a fireteam member dies.

You can frame your argument purely by numbers (Weapons + VF + MP) or you can frame it by real world utility (Self Res) but you can't play both sides at the same time and expect to be taken seriously.

Real world utility puts Tether > MP. Less risky and additional benefits to the debuff when compared to MP.

You should be able to dodge every 5 seconds. That would make them masters of the gun game, unlike now where you can just play a Warlock and dodge about twice as often.

I don't hate the dodge but I'm not good at it. My high kd in d1 wasn't a result of up close and personal dodging and wombo combos with the nightstalker but the (slightly) increased strafe speed (hoping agility gets a buff and there's a year 2 radiant dance machines) and weapon handling. I'd have prefered to have my precision kills increase stability back because that makes the hunter without question the best marksman at any range.

Gudji

Is this Beta going to have an open stage at all? I kinda enjoyed D1 briefly, got bored as shit soon after getting the mythoclast though and didn't stick around for the dlc. I've been tempted to give D2 a go but I didn't enjoy the first enough to slap down money on a pre-order just for a beta.

Open BETA starts tomorrow I believe. But I didn't pre-order and I'm still playing the game... you just have to create a PSN account from Hong Kong and then download the game from the store. There are some videos on youtube teaching how to do it, it's really easy.

To be honest if you don't like PvP you may get bored quickly since you can only play the opening mission and one strike.

Yeah, I think it becomes open tomorrow.

jmartoine

Wrath of the Machine world first had 2 hunters and 4 titans.

King's Fall worlds first had 3 hunters, 2 warlocks and a titan.

Surely if Nightstalker was that bad they wouldn't be in either worlds first comp?

Self Res literally requires you to die for it to be useful. You literally can not res if you're not dead. It is not a perk. It is a crutch.

And outside of theory crafting, MP is not useful in boss fights, which is the only place dmg buffs/debuffs actually matter. Punching a boss is 9/10 times a bad risk to reward scenario because a timed DPS boost doesn't make up for the loss of DPS if a fireteam member dies.

You can frame your argument purely by numbers (Weapons + VF + MP) or you can frame it by real world utility (Self Res) but you can't play both sides at the same time and expect to be taken seriously.

Real world utility puts Tether > MP. Less risky and additional benefits to the debuff when compared to MP.

Oh yeah, real world utility and the risk of using melting point.

Do you know Vosik? That guy who stomps you as soon as you get close to him? 2 Titans can kill him in 2 phases of damage using only SHOTGUNS.

If real world utility is the average player, then yeah, if judging numbers and what the classes are actually capable to do, then still Hunters are worse or useless.

Hunters being shit in D2 is no surprise for me or anyone who played this kind of PVE, i'm actually surprised they're bad at PVP, they need a major redesign because at least in D1 PVP they were top tier.
They don't simply need more staff damage when using the super or more orbs, they need actual usefull skills for the team or even themselves, infinite dodge would be the first one it comes to mind.

Tawpgun

Wrath of the Machine world first had 2 hunters and 4 titans.

King's Fall worlds first had 3 hunters, 2 warlocks and a titan.

Surely if Nightstalker was that bad they wouldn't be in either worlds first comp?

I think this jose guy is as far from average player as you can get.

He seems to be one of those guys who will plan a raid in Excel to ensure maximum efficiency.

In short, he may be right. His comps could be very ideal for maximum damage output. But the for the average player, having 1-2-3 hunters on a team won't make the raid impossible or anything.

EDIT: As evidenced above. Most players use tether for damage buff because its safe and easy. He uses the riskier strategy that is planned out to do more damage.

I think this jose guy is as far from average player as you can get.

He seems to be one of those guys who will plan a raid in Excel to ensure maximum efficiency.

In short, he may be right. His comps could be very ideal for maximum damage output. But the for the average player, having 1-2-3 hunters on a team won't make the raid impossible or anything.

I actually have a DPS spreadsheet of every single weapon in the game lol and i consider myself a casual player if you compare it to my friends LMAO.

Tawpgun

I actually have a DPS spreadsheet of every single weapon in the game lol and i consider myself a casual player if you compare it to my friends LMAO.

lol, yeah then that makes sense. If you boil down the game to numbers you can eventually figure out the most efficient way of beating an encounter.

That doesn't necessarily make it more fun, or easier. Just efficient. Play what you want yall.

hunters currently got shafted in the beta tho

Raven117

Ill pile on the sadness going on in this thread.

I mained a hunter all through Destiny 1. The nightstalker class is fantastic. (Bladedancer too once you mastered how to be invisible all the time).

With a heavy heart, I think I must turn to Dawnblade or Sentinel as my main. The perks are just too balanced and useful for the team as a whole.

Bungie really did mail it in when it came to the perks of the hunter.

Hunters still look awesome though.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
it's like they took everything good from RoI Destiny and threw it in the trash

I played D1 on X1 and PS4 and agree that the game felt off. I think the frame rate might not be as smooth and the curves on the aiming are weird. Like it jumps from almost no rotation to really fast too abruptly.

So its not just me. Good to know.

We've now hit a point where bungie struggles with xbox controls. Yep, it happened.

Oh yeah, real world utility and the risk of using melting point.

Do you know Vosik? That guy who stomps you as soon as you get close to him? 2 Titans can kill him in 2 phases of damage using only SHOTGUNS.

If real world utility is the average player, then yeah, if judging numbers and what the classes are actually capable to do, then still Hunters are worse or useless.

Hunters being shit in D2 is no surprise for me or anyone who played this kind of PVE, i'm actually surprised they're bad at PVP, they need a major redesign because at least in D1 PVP they were top tier.
They don't simply need more staff damage when using the super or more orbs, they need actual usefull skills for the team or even themselves, infinite dodge would be the first one it comes to mind.

I played both PvE and PvP, thanks. Also, equating real world utility to "look at this vid where these guys tried to make this strat work dozens of times and finally got all of it to click" is wrong at best, and arguing in bad faith at worst. Just like you don't point to vids of people soloing bosses as an argument that the bosses aren't strong enough. Being possible is not the same thing as being probable and Real World Utility specifically discusses the probable.

We actually don't know if Hunters are bad in D2 PvE because we haven't seen everything they're capable of. The locked out tree of Gunslinger allows GG to crit on precision hits. We don't yet know if there's a Nighthawk-esque piece of gear either. Not to mention not knowing anything at all about what the Void sublcass will bring to the table.

Even with that being the case, I would agree that Hunters need better utility as their class ability because both Titans and Warlocks get beneficial utility out of their class abilities regardless of what subclass they run.

Lol did a round of competitve and we won 6-0. I had three nades, two healing auras, and 0 supers the whole match. Not because I didn't use my super, but because it didn't charge in time.

ultron87

I hope the campaign has more of the stuff where it drops other players into your mission in some moments. The plaza defense part was super cool because of that.

Just thinking of some huge assault on a base where it groups you up with other Guardians has me really excited. They can just add the story explanation that you're the one who's supposed to use the assault as cover and go disable some shield or whatever, to explain why you get split up in later parts of a mission.

ncslamm

I don't know what's off about it.

Aim assist could be down. It could not.

Hitboxes could be smaller. They could not.

There could be a latency buffer on the client to mask the lag, thereby creating a window of delay, unlike Destiny 1 where it was immediate. There also could not.

It could be related to this batch of weapons themselves. It could also not.

All I know is the gunplay doesn't feel as immediate as it did in Destiny 1.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I didn't play much of D1 so maybe this is how destiny is supposed to play. I was saying to myself this morning while playing crucible that the gunplay felt off. I don't know what it is. There's barely any aim assist compared to other console shooters and time to kill is high. Movement feels a bit sluggish as well. Maybe I'm just used to the quick action of call of duty.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I didn't play much of D1 so maybe this is how destiny is supposed to play. I was saying to myself this morning while playing crucible that the gunplay felt off. I don't know what it is. There's barely any aim assist compared to other console shooters and time to kill is high. Movement feels a bit sluggish as well. Maybe I'm just used to the quick action of call of duty.

D1 never felt sluggish on ps4. The xbox version of D2 just doesnt control well at all. I havent tried the ps4 beta.

lt519

Getting a chance to play this in a couple hours, with 804 hours on the original, interested to see how things have changed. I'm primed by this thread to be disappointed, but I'm very open to change as long as it plays well.

It's amazing how different peoples experiences are with this beta. I've noticed no difference in gunplay at all. I mean I went back and played some D1 after playing the beta and it felt the same. I really don't get how people say it feels off but everyone has their opinion so it's what it is I guess.

Ramirez

I've been running Gunslinger all beta and doing fine...the classes still don't mean THAT much at the end of the day. Play what you prefer...I like throwing knives and trip mine, so that's what I'm going to play with.

- Infinite dodge ability, that is, no significant cooldown like the 10 second one for the warlock dash. Also, if you use it near an ally, they get increased agility for a couple of seconds.
- Melting point kind damage buff to the knife of the gunslinger.
- An optional config to the GG that shoots 3 times, able to crit and deal a lot more damage.
- Targets hit by the GG get burned down with the same melting point buff that the knife does.
- Make that buff stackable with the empowerment rift from the Warlock and similar damage buffs.
- Targets that die by your golden gun trigger health regen.

Some ideas on how to improve hunter abilities.

Getting a chance to play this in a couple hours, with 804 hours on the original, interested to see how things have changed. I'm primed by this thread to be disappointed, but I'm very open to change as long as it plays well.

I dont have as many hours as you, but i played a lot of D1. I enjoyed the D2 beta, theres just not enough content. You get bored fast.

And it controls worse then D1 did. Aiming just doesn't feel right (on Xbox).

- Infinite dodge ability, that is, no significant cooldown like the 10 second one for the warlock dash. Also, if you use it near an ally, they get increased agility for a couple of seconds.
- Melting point kind damage buff to the knife of the gunslinger.
- An optional config to the GG that shoots 3 times, able to crit and deal a lot more damage.
- Targets hit by the GG get burned down with the same melting point buff that the knife does.
- Make that buff stackable with the empowerment rift from the Warlock and similar damage buffs.
- Targets that die by your golden gun trigger health regen.

Some ideas on how to improve hunter abilities.

All great ideas, but Bungie will just nerf their supers instead and call it a day. Nobody there likes Hunters.

zewone

It's amazing how different peoples experiences are with this beta. I've noticed no difference in gunplay at all. I mean I went back and played some D1 after playing the beta and it felt the same. I really don't get how people say it feels off but everyone has their opinion so it's what it is I guess.

I put an embarrassing number of hours into Destiny PVP.

Whatever is changed, It's slight enough to not be immediately noticeable, but trying to play competitive and bullets aren't connecting the way the used to.

lt519

We lost 1-6, and not one person on either team used a super.

Why even have them lol

This is my biggest worry, it's what made Destiny 1 fun in both PvP and PvE. They'd be out of their minds to not listen to feedback and have super regeneration bumped. That or people just aren't being patient enough and gear is going to boost it a lot? I've mostly been on media blackout, didn't even know about the dual primaries till I had read this thread.

Top Bottom