• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Beta |OT| Garry's Mod

What's the best class?

Results are only viewable after voting.

FinKL

Have people been successfully getting refunds after this? A buddy of mine did the same thing but accidentally ordered the digital copy from Best Buy and then realized his mistake and cancelled and then reordered the physical copy.

He hasn't called yet but I can't imagine he'll have problems getting his money back, especially since he's still doing business with them and it was just a mistake. What an incredibly stupid policy...

Yes, I've successfully refunded 3 copies where this happened, although it's a little convoluted to get in contact with their support. Gotta go to community Forums and msg a Best Buy member

zewone

Was firing a Pulse Rifle

But I thought it was an Auto Rifle

Because they look and sound pretty much the same

Thanks Bungie.

I thought my SMG was a scout rifle because the OMOLON guns look exactly alike. It's gotten me killed a few times.

Holy fucking shit, you need to make a new thread on that, that's shady as fuck.

Any less shady than preordering for the beta with no intentions of purchasing?

They have alot of balancing to make before setember.
Let's hope that people are being vocal on the Bungie forums with their feedback.

Even with the issues people are mentioning, I'm liking what I see. And am excited to see what changes they make after the feedback. Hoping Hunters get some tweaking as that is, and forever will be, my main.

r8er34

The entire point of a beta is to give feedback. This post makes absolutely no sense.

Thanks for the input. I'm not saying for people not to give feedback, I'm saying it seems like it's being ostracized for certain things that can be improved and re-worked for the final product.

The entire concept of paying for beta access is still one that's not generally acceptable. Having to pay to test a game does not go over well. Which is why they tie it to pre-orders. So that money goes towards the purchase of the game.

So I would disagree that pre-ordering only to play the beta and then cancelling if you decide you don't want to buy the game is shady.

Was firing a Pulse Rifle

But I thought it was an Auto Rifle

Because they look and sound pretty much the same

Thanks Bungie.

They took weapon models from different weapon classes and reused them. Not the worst thing in the world (especially because they don't feel the same with the new weapon sounds--the longer range pulse rifle looks exactly like a hung jury but sure doesn't shoot/sound like one)

jviggy43

I wasn't comparing the two. I was using the "must have Gjall" thing as an example of the community creating rules that become the standard.

Which is the reason why the term "godroll" even exists. I'm speaking from experience, as it happens in every game that allows for different builds/loadouts/equipment tiers that directly effect efficiency. It's not possible to create stuff that's meaningfully "different but the same." Something will always be more efficient and that because the standard set by the community.

The entire idea that something could be popular or acceptable if it was creatively different enough comes from games where literally everything about an item is randomized, so making picture perfect copies of builds becomes pretty much impossible. In a game with controlled itemization like Destiny, that's not going to happen.

I mean I was never excluded from random groups for perks. I actually never even heard of such a thing until now. If someone ever asked if my guns had perks in order to participate I'd laugh and find a new group.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't think its overly complicated to make perks that are different but equally viable. Efficiency can be measured in a lot of ways in shooters and is at its core sort of subjective anyway, especially considering different play styles. I don't think you need complete randmoization to dictate different and viable perks either.

Wadiwasi

Banned
The entire concept of paying for beta access is still one that's not generally acceptable. Having to pay to test a game does not go over well. Which is why they tie it to pre-orders. So that money goes towards the purchase of the game.

So I would disagree that pre-ordering only to play the beta and then cancelling if you decide you don't want to buy the game is shady.

I don't think it is unreasonable at all. There is a public section of the beta that everyone gets to join in on. The early access portion is for people that had the intention of buying the game. I don't really care for Destiny, and may not play this game but I can see how companies would start this. I'm not saying it's right, because a person who legitimately wanted to cancel their intended purchase after playing the beta should be able to with no penalty.

It isn't a perfect system but I bet they see a massive spike in preorders for early beta codes by an almost equal spike in cancellations after the code emails go out. Was only a matter of time before companies wanted to stop or make some sort of compensation for this.

MrS

Banned

I take umbrage with the bolded because this isn't the reason anybody pre-ordered Destiny. The thought isn't "I'll preorder this game so I can test it for Bungie". The thought is "I'll pre-order this game so I have a little bit of early access to a new game in my favourite franchise ". Lets not pretend that the people who participate in the beta are not benefitting.

"Power Ammo! Don't use it all in one place, Guardian!" *Gets 1 Rocket*
Why aren't you using the Fusion Rifle my dude?

when you say "this is what it will be like" what are you talking about? the gunplay? etc?

because the game will have social spaces and stuff to do just like D1.

Yeah, I realise that but "just like D1" isn't anywhere near enough, the social space was dire and the open areas were linear tracks around a small area.

I guess this feels like a demo and that last one felt like the start of the game, which is because it was. Just sitting in a spaceship in orbit with three activities to choose from reminds me of the grind and the loading screens.

Jason Shreier on his podcast today said it feels like raids will exclude hunters in favor of warlocks and titans (titans confirmed best class)
You never raid without a titan. It is known.

Had it been and always shall be.
Until nightstalker, I could always do without a hunter.

Well, hunters were fun for solo abyss and cheesing Crota.

Reallink

I thought my SMG was a scout rifle because the OMOLON guns look exactly alike. It's gotten me killed a few times.

Multinational multi billion dollar corporation charging individuals $20 for a promo code that cost said corporation $0 to acquire, yea they're several orders of magnitude removed from each other on the shady scale. Again, also highly illegal unless the code was broken out as a $20 purchase at time of sale.

You never raid without a titan. It is known.

Had it been and always shall be.
Until nightstalker, I could always do without a hunter.

Well, hunters were fun for solo abyss and cheesing Crota.

I feel the same way. I love Hunters but Warlocks and Titans are just amazing. Nightstalker fixed the hunter class a little but who knows what is in store for us this time around.

I do like that Warlock is leading the polls as it should.

Azerare

But why preorder when the open beta is only a few days later.

You get like maybe two extra days but even then you only need a day to get a feel of where the game is at and needs to improve.

I don't think it is unreasonable at all. There is a public section of the beta that everyone gets to join in on. The early access portion is for people that had the intention of buying the game. I don't really care for Destiny, and may not play this game but I can see how companies would start this. I'm not saying it's right, because a person who legitimately wanted to cancel their intended purchase after playing the beta should be able to with no penalty.

It isn't a perfect system but I bet they see a massive spike in preorders for early beta codes by an almost equal spike in cancellations after the code emails go out. Was only a matter of time before companies wanted to stop or make some sort of compensation for this.

Public access to the beta wasn't announced until very close to the actual beta date. All companies that tie Beta's to pre-orders either have no public access or wait until the last minute to announce it because they want to bolster pre-order numbers.

I take umbrage with the bolded because this isn't the reason anybody pre-ordered Destiny. The thought isn't "I'll preorder this game so I can test it for Bungie". The thought is "I'll pre-order this game so I have a little bit of early access to a new game in my favourite franchise ". Lets not pretend that the people who participate in the beta are not benefitting.

Most people pre-order because they want the game. Some pre-order to play it a bit early. Still others pre-order only to check out the game to see if they'll even like it (as in they're testing it for themselves).

That doesn't change the fact that a Beta is called a Beta because it's testing something for the company. Whether that be testing content, balance, design, etc... or just stress testing the servers... it's still testing. And making people pay to test or misleading them into thinking they have to pay to test, is bad optics.

But why preorder when the open beta is only a few days later.

You get like maybe two extra days but even then you only need a day to get a feel of where the game is at and needs to improve.

Public access was not announced until recently.

bigJP

Multinational multi billion dollar corporation charging individuals $20 for a promo code that cost said corporation $0 to acquire, yea they're several orders of magnitude removed from each other on the shady scale. Again, also highly illegal unless the code was broken out as a $20 purchase at time of sale.

"beta codes are only available if you preorder" is plastered everywhere. they could charge what they want for it. how do you think business works. do you think best buy paid full price for the game and are giving it to you at cost out of good will? isnt it "shady" that they are making a profit? how is it illegal?

Tawpgun

So something is bugging me about the Arcstrider class

In D1, the designers of the weapon and armor perks seemed to have no concept of how the game is actually played. They gave us stupid perks like "increased accuracy while crouching" "Increased x while peeking over a wall" etc. Stuff that no one ever did in gameplay. Or perks that were useless in the normal gameplay loop.

I think that happened with the entire top half of the arc strider tree. The tree is built around the melee. Your evade can recharge your melee. A melee kill can recharge evade. And a melee kill can increase your melee damage and range (I think) for a few seconds.

Sounds incredible on paper. Just chaining awesome CQC moves. But then you do it in practice and realize...

1. Melee damage isn't that great.
2. Enemies are not fooled by your evade.
3. Enemies skullfuck you with their own CQC moves.

Now there were class skills in D1 that were also useless but in D2 we have less options in the skill tree.

Kyoufu

So something is bugging me about the Arcstrider class

In D1, the designers of the weapon and armor perks seemed to have no concept of how the game is actually played. They gave us stupid perks like "increased accuracy while crouching" "Increased x while peeking over a wall" etc. Stuff that no one ever did in gameplay. Or perks that were useless in the normal gameplay loop.

I think that happened with the entire top half of the arc strider tree. The tree is built around the melee. Your evade can recharge your melee. A melee kill can recharge evade. And a melee kill can increase your melee damage and range (I think) for a few seconds.

Sounds incredible on paper. Just chaining awesome CQC moves. But then you do it in practice and realize...

1. Melee damage isn't that great.
2. Enemies are not fooled by your evade.
3. Enemies skullfuck you with their own CQC moves.

Could be a PVP build. Arcstrider doesn't look very good for PVE, like how Bladedancer wasn't very good for PVE in Destiny 1.

Gaz_RB

This is being nitpicked to shit. I know that's part of the beta process, and obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I feel many are forgetting that this is a sample and not necessarily indicative of what the final game will offer. I'm sure they will do some tweaking. Everyone needs to chill out.

Unless you work at Bungie, I'm not sure why it bothers you so much.

Quick snip for people thinking about the Aiming / Shooting / Aim Assist.

I find D2 doing a fantastic job with all three. I also find myself winning most gun battles simply by accumulating more value shots. (head). There were plenty of time where I was hit more in the body, but I landed less shots on the head and won the gun battle.

This is being nitpicked to shit. I know that's part of the beta process, and obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I feel many are forgetting that this is a sample and not necessarily indicative of what the final game will offer. I'm sure they will do some tweaking. Everyone needs to chill out.

I don't think Bungie needs you to defend their product, Junior.

jviggy43

It doesn't bother me, it's just comical.

Unless you think its comical that people are also suggesting that the good things are representative of the final product here theres little need to be making this argument (And in either case, this is a fairly representative portion of what the final game will look like).

Yea Bungie really needs to look at the gunplay. Something funky is going on, either with the connection or the aiming curves.

Clamber also needs to be retuned. It's so incredibly imprecise.

gattsu

I'd just download the open beta at this point tomorrow. You're really not missing much in terms of content other than crucible.

r8er34

Unless you think its comical that people are also suggesting that the good things are representative of the final product here theres little need to be making this argument (And in either case, this is a fairly representative portion of what the final game will look like).

I don't follow what you are saying, but thank you for the reply.

Reallink

"beta codes are only available if you preorder" is plastered everywhere. they could charge what they want for it. how do you think business works. do you think best buy paid full price for the game and are giving it to you at cost out of good will? isnt it "shady" that they are making a profit? how is it illegal?

I'm trying to figure out if you're trolling, or are sincerely ignorant to the issue here, cause it couldn't be anymore self explanatory. A retailer can not tack on arbitrary charges that are NOT DISCLOSED to the customer in any fashion at the point of sale. It is contract violation, in addition to violating several consumer protection acts. Moreover, if his receipt say $0, and they went back and recharged it as $20, they're tacking on numerous credit law violations.

Yea Bungie really needs to look at the gunplay. Something funky is going on, either with the connection or the aiming curves.

I wonder if one of the other 100 studios working on the game messed it up (or just the process of Frankenstein-ing the work of multiple studios together). It feels like a decent Destiny knockoff with all the visual problems and overall bad feeling. Like they knew what it was supposed to feel like, but not how the visual and actual input programming combined to create that feeling.

You could be more specific on the problem with the gunplay? I've been watching streams myself, and I haven't seen what's "off". Is it just a feel thing? Like shots not hitting?

I see a lot of complaints about not killing things fast, but personally I loved early Destiny 1 trying to kill the spider tank and such when it was a slow, challenging fight that you couldn't sit back and snipe on.

Oh, you're so edgy using "Junior" as an insult. Really strengthens your argument, Pattycakes.

I don't know how often you browse, but pretty much any time there is a game receiving criticism, the defense force comes out in full swing, generally consisting of a lot of juniors.

jviggy43

I don't follow what you are saying, but thank you for the reply.

Let me try this

Its comical people are nitpicking this game because this isn't the final product

So is it also comical people are praising things in this game because this isn't the final product?

Ennosuke

I feel like the only person on this planet who can't play, I am stuck in the screen where it says in the bottom right corner "Connecting". Basically the only interaction with the game was pressing A on the start screen. Already had the issue yersterday....

Top Bottom