• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 once again doesn't have matchmaking for non-Raid content

Alo0oy

Banned
I don't want to focus on Raid matchmaking since Guided games are coming, but why are Nightfalls and Trials locked? There's nothing remotely difficult or communications-dependent in these modes, it's just a continuation of Bungie's philosophy of end game content = no matchmaking.

I know guided games is coming to nightfalls as well (nothing on Trials afaik), but standard matchmaking should work just fine.

Now I'm even more worried when they re-introduce stuff like PoE and CoE.

My friends haven't beaten the story yet so I haven't done a single NF or the Raid yet.

EDIT: Certain exotic quests demand a fire team, which is bullshit and unnecessary.

Nightfalls are going to have guided games (it's in beta right now). Trials will never have matchmaking, it's too sweaty.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nightfall already has Guided games. And no standard matchmaking wont work on nightfalls. they have a lot of mechanics that require voice chat.

I don't want to focus on Raid matchmaking since Guided games are coming, but why are Nightfalls and Trials locked? There's nothing remotely difficult or communications-dependent in these modes, it's just a continuation of Bungie's philosophy of end game content = no matchmaking.

I know guided games is coming to nightfalls as well (nothing on Trials afaik), but standard matchmaking should work just fine.

My friends haven't beaten the story yet so I haven't done a single NF or the Raid yet.

It's their fault, not the game.

Normal mode Nightfall has guided games too, Trials is a team based "competitive" mode, it shouldn't have any kind of matchmaking since it's common sense that you will try to play with a regular group of people to get the best of your team.

Lothars

Trails will never have matchmaking and that's a good thing. It's not a mode you want to team up with randoms on.

sinkfla87

If you attempt trials and have no communication with your team then you've pretty much already earned your loss lol.

Alo0oy

Banned
Nightfall already has Guided games. And no standard matchmaking wont work on nightfalls. they have a lot of mechanics that require voice chat.

NFs are just strikes with additional modifiers.

Certain exotic quests also demand a fire team, I should have put that in the OP since I'm stuck on both the Rat King and Strum quests.

I wish the normal Nightfalls had matchmaking. It sucks that you need a group to get any of the high end gear. Really limits you once you hit 260 Power.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I am 100% fine with the limited GG content, Trials gets too sweaty for GG - it would mean getting to the &&&& would be too easy otherwise (less of an achievement to go flawless etc).

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It just occurred to me that I have only assumed the PC version will have proper in-game communication to help alleviate this - chatting in public spaces and various chat channels to form groups with others. Is my assumption correct?

Ubersnug

Trials will never have matchmaking. It's just the nature of the mode, same with Raids.

If you're on Xbox, however, use the built in LFG system. I got into tonnes of successful raids using it when my normal raid team was busy with something else or was full up.

They really dont. I've beaten both so far with either GAF or my clan and both times were without a headset in at all. The raid I can understand but even then they could just open MM with a Mic requirement or something IMO.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I would like to see matchmaking on raids to see how impossible the Gauntlet would be because people refuse to use a headset. Lol

Definition of purgatory if you ask me, lol.

Raids having GG soon, that's perfectly good for this type of game.
Trials would be 100% ruined by MM, thank the maker it's not in it.

The way they introduced nightfalls with the
time limit
and the different ways it implemented might need for more communication than your usual strike. But I think there is or will be guided games for nightfall.

Trials didn't have match-making in D1; it a highly competitive mm that really required communication as well; I think the purpose of no regular mm was so people would know who they're playing with.

Just come to Dgaf for your match-making needs! Helped me with the raid last night!

Strum requieres fireteam? I did that solo.

It doesn't, but the quest makes it seem like it does. It says, take your fireteam to do the strike or something.

Maybe it's another exotic? The one where you have to do a strike with your fire team at the end.

So far only the Rat king needs a team. For strum the quest makes it seem like you do, but you can solo it. You don't even need to finish the strike.

Jas

I tried the Guided Games beta for Nightfalls twice last week.

Both times no one used a mic and we just bum rushed through it...same exact thing as matchmaking but it took a bit longer to find people then general matchmaking would.

It doesn't, but the quest makes it seem like it does. It says, take your fireteam to do the strike or something.

So far only the Rat king needs a team. For strum the quest makes it seem like you do, but you can solo it. You don't even need to finish the strike.

I saw the fireteam message but I thought it was just flavor text and went and did it alone.

Keep telling yourself that.

The Destiny app provides a quick and easy tool to LFG for trials. So many people use it.

Azerth

Don't bother op alot of destiny fans would rather you use out of game websites then to have bungie work on a way to put matchmaking in the game for all activities

Alo0oy

Banned
The way they introduced nightfalls with the
time limit
and the different ways it implemented might need for more communication than your usual strike. But I think there is or will be guided games for nightfall.

Trials didn't have match-making in D1; it a highly competitive mm that really required communication as well; I think the purpose of no regular mm was so people would know who they're playing with.

Just come to Dgaf for your match-making needs! Helped me with the raid last night!

I don't live in America or Europe, so playing with people in those areas means 500ms latency.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Total nonsense. That doesn't mean matchmaking doesn't work, simply that you need to emphasize (or code it somehow) that all players need to have microphones or at least have a skilled enough team leader to make it work.

There was a minimal working solution to allowing individuals who aren't in clans to be able to enjoy some of this content: this Guided Games idiocy is not it.

Alo0oy

Banned

Can you elaborate more on that? Is starting the strike solo enough? Or is there something I need to do during the strike?

ultron87

I think the problem with this is that you run out of meaningful stuff to do as a solo/matchmaking player extremely quickly in this game. There's only one tier of Strikes that have matchmaking, and those super quickly don't give you rewards that help you out. There needs to be an equivalent of the "heroic" strikes that the first game had that add on some Nightfall style modifiers, but without the time limit.

Total nonsense. That doesn't mean matchmaking doesn't work, simply that you need to emphasize (or code it somehow) that all players need to have microphones or at least have a skilled enough team leader to make it work.
You want the game to determine if somebody is a competent leader?

dubq

I can see why Trials doesn't have MM. You need a cohesive team that communicates to win that shit. NF will have Guided Games, soon. That said, I found a fireteam within a minute for the NF using the Destiny app.

Lonnie413

EDIT: Certain exotic quests demand a fire team, which is bullshit and unnecessary.
The fact you think Trials could benefit from matchmaking shows me that you are a Jon Snow who knows nothing.

We've been through this before. The LFG sites, groups threads are better than any matchmaking you will get from Bungie.

If the response is that you shouldn't go out of your way for this then I reply with why not? Are you not expected to talk to people if you are matchmade into a raid? This attitude tells me you want a matchmade game where you don't need to communicate at all with the group which will not work for the raid.

Drey1082

I tried the Guided Games beta for Nightfalls twice last week.

Both times no one used a mic and we just bum rushed through it...same exact thing as matchmaking but it took a bit longer to find people then general matchmaking would.

I used guided games for the first time yesterday with the nightfall. It worked fine. Felt like a third wheel, as it was with a guy and girl who definitely knew one another and had conversation about people they knew personally the entire time. But they were nice enough, and we got through it (barely).

The main issue was I started the game thinking i was in the clear regarding responsibilities, and about 4 minutes into it, my wife started calling for me to help her with something, so i had that dread that I was going to have to ditch in my first guided game. Moral of the story, always ask the wife first if she needs anything and get the all clear.

I also played some Nightfalls just by posting that I was looking for a group in the destiny thread. It's not that hard. A lot of people are in the same boat as you OP.

Brannon

Xbox has a great LFG system and PC will have one within days (hours?) of release which makes Bungie's system moot. It's really only Playstation that's slacking Destiny-wise.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Yeah I just stopped playing. The way the game works people get wayy pissed about everything. Too much drama which isn't the games fault at all.

Kill3r7

NFs are just strikes with additional modifiers.

Certain exotic quests also demand a fire team, I should have put that in the OP since I'm stuck on both the Rat King and Strum quests.

Strum you can solo, did it the other night. Rat King you need a teammate who also has the quest active, as soloing it will not work.

Also, trials should not have matchmaking.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
You want the game to determine if somebody is a competent leader?

Yes I want the game to do that. Clearly the coding comment was in reference to having a mic, and that they simply emphasize the qualities a successful Nightfall Fireteam will have.

Can you elaborate more on that? Is starting the strike solo enough? Or is there something I need to do during the strike?

You can boot up the strike solo, you just need to kill the serviter that the quest mentions. It's before the boss room.

Top Bottom