• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT2| Leviathan Wakes (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Vorheez

Why does there appear to be this opinion coming from longtime fans that it's necessary to have 3 characters on the go? It's not that I'm complaining, because I have 3, but is there some kind of benefit outside of play variety?

Why does there appear to be this opinion coming from longtime fans that it's necessary to have 3 characters on the go? It's not that I'm complaining, because I have 3, but is there some kind of benefit outside of play variety?

3 Characters means 3 chances at loot drops from endgame. While this doesn't help armor acquisition unless all 3 are the same class (which some people actually do), it does help with weapons.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

Witchcraft. The rule of three or something.

Ramirez

Variety is the spice of life!

Lukemon

Each can get Powerful rewards every week, so by passing guns between them to increase their max theoretical PL (and thus the quality of their drops), each in turn will help the others get stronger. I have a Titan at 300, started a Hunter yesterday and got it up to 293 from scratch in less than 10 hours, including a Mini-Tool that is slightly better than what my main uses. So now, I'll pass my best weapon set from one to the next as I do Milestones next week, and they'll get incrementally better gear. It's just the most efficient way to level now the 3xSameClass nerf is in place.

I've never liked how mida is just better at everything. Good archetype AND HCR AND massive mag AND fast reload AND fast movement.

It just piles a ton of boring perks on till it's the best scout

Pastry

Banned
Your logic makes zero sense. Why nerf a balanced weapon? Maybe think about how the maps have long sightlines or how other weapons need to be brought up.

Changing the existing maps to adjust sightlines isn’t realistic. To bring other weapons on par with MIDA you would have to boost everything. From Bungie’s point of view it’s easier to nerf one than adjust everything else. So my question was what nerfs do people think are coming, because let’s be real, they definitely are.

ocean

Banned
In terms of pure progression, you can advance a lot more quickly with three characters. Once you’re done for the week with every milestone on one character, you swap out the high Power weapons you recieved to an alt and take it from there on your way up.

Other than that, it’s mostly just a way to keep the gameplay fresh and to roll weekly activities like the Raid and Trials multiple times for better chances at their sets.

Can't catch a break in trials... 6 wins and 5 wins were the closest streaks I've had so far. Bums me out too when i get matched against people that have gone flawless multiple times now and we beat them, yet can't get flawless ourselves. Ugh...

Kyne

longtime fans have already done everything there is to do and the only way to stretch the content is by creating 3 characters. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

/s

not really.

i've been sticking with 1 character and I don't plan on making another one anytime soon. Needless to say the only time I play now is on reset day + Trials sometime during the weekend. It's actually kind of nice not to worry about a grind, but I can see why people (especially those whose job it is to play Destiny 2) are concerned about the longevity of the game.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Have to hand it to Bungie on one thing. I rarely if ever seen any laggers in the so and so amount of games I played. D1 it's like every other game with at least a red bar.

Trakan

I didn't say it was out of line with RoF and TTK.

Paper stats and real world effect are two different things. The high RoF + HCR + recoil being meaningless means that Mida beats every other gun in a heads up gun fight with all else being equal.

Remove HCR and it's still top tier without spamming flinch being a guaranteed win.

It isn't a guaranteed win.

Each can get Powerful rewards every week, so by passing guns between them to increase their max theoretical PL (and thus the quality of their drops), each in turn will help the others get stronger. I have a Titan at 300, started a Hunter yesterday and got it up to 293 from scratch in less than 10 hours, including a Mini-Tool that is slightly better than what my main uses. So now, I'll pass my best weapon set from one to the next as I do Milestones next week, and they'll get incrementally better gear. It's just the most efficient way to level now the 3xSameClass nerf is in place.

Didn't Bungie say that gear drops are determined by the best gear you have across all characters, so you don't have to actually transfer the equipment between characters?

Ramirez

Changing the existing maps to adjust sightlines isn’t realistic. To bring other weapons on par with MIDA you would have to boost everything. From Bungie’s point of view it’s easier to nerf one than adjust everything else. So my question was what nerfs do people think are coming, because let’s be real, they definitely are.

Removing the 3rd eye perk would go a long way I think. Adjust HCR as well...but I really feel like the radar is the biggest gain since the radar is nerfed with the delay coming out of ADS. Not that it would do much to a Hunters with Knucklehead, ultimately you have to do something about the flinch on HCR, it's why Uriel's is so good as well.

It isn't a guaranteed win.

In a straight trade, all things being equal, Midas rate of fire, high caliber rounds, and non-effective recoil means it will win every time because it flinches the opponent.

Yes, in live gameplay a Mida user can be outplayed. They can be second to initiate. They can just plain miss. That's not how you judge balance.

The combination of perks and stats makes Mida too strong. And removing HCR still leaves it very strong (especially with radar during ADS) while bringing it equal to other scouts in a gun fight.

I'm starting to feel like I'm talking to several brick walls here. No one even addresses my points. Just replies with "nuh uh."

Lukemon

Didn't Bungie say that gear drops are determined by the best gear you have across all characters, so you don't have to actually transfer the equipment between characters?

I think you're right. I still pass/equip stronger stuff out of habit a lot of the time, but that would explain why my Titan was getting 290 drops while still at top end of 299 - I think my Warlock had one or two slightly stronger slots on it.

Trakan

In a straight trade, all things being equal, Midas rate of fire, high caliber rounds, and non-effective recoil means it will win every time because it flinches the opponent.

Yes, in live gameplay a Mida user can be outplayed. They can be second to initiate. They can just plain miss. That's not how you judge balance.

The combination of perks and stats makes Mida too strong. And removing HCR still leaves it very strong (especially with radar during ADS) while bringing it equal to other scouts in a gun fight.

I'm starting to feel like I'm talking to several brick walls here. No one even addresses my points. Just replies with "nuh uh."

It has a lot going for it, but it's not overpowered. It's overused right now because it's a free exotic and the trials map caters to it.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Anytime a Trials team doesn't run 4 MIDAs, it's an instant "easy win inc" said in our group, lol.

Nameless midnight and Mida basically. Midnight is a thrift shop version of Burning Eye from last trials but still great in D2 because reasons.

Has Bungie even acknowledged the prestige nightfall bug ? I suppose not, otherwise they wouldn't have left it this way.

Prestige was totally doable for this one but we'll have to go for another week and play regular 5 times to get acquainted. Fuck this.

Anyone fancy jumping into the raid at the Calus checkpoint? I wont be able to play tomorrow so am keen to get it done tonight.

bobs99 on xbox if so

It has a lot going for it, but it's not overpowered. It's overused right now because it's a free exotic and the trials map caters to it.

Every long distance and a good number of medium distance engagements favor the Mida. That it loses in medium distance at all is due to AR's dmg going up in that range.

It's not just this map. It's not just that it's a free exotic.

And it's used incredibly often outside trials regardless of the map. I'm not basing my statements on how much it's used. I'm basing it on how the gun actually works both for and against. It needs to have HCR removed.

gatti-man

Holy crap we got massicared in Trials. Just as brutal as everyone said it was.

I've officially given up on Trials. I got the best players I know on from D1 this morning after trying Friday and Saturday. Best we could do is 6 straight wins and we'd always run into some insanely strong team. Never had to try this hard in year one or two trials. It sucks because I'd really like to see that social space for myself but this is obviously Bungies prerogative to make trials as tough as possible.

If we all get together in regular pvp we never lose a game. Trials competition is insanely difficult atm.

282 Hunter looking to Raid on PS4. Have played up to past the
Dogs
but am not familiar with the later encounters. If anyone has a checkpoint past there would LOVE to join otherwise I'm willing to jump in a fresh Raid if we think we will get to the end

GhaleonEB

I ran a few strikes today and did the one in the Cabal firebase for the first (and second) time. Holy shit.

The juxtaposition between it and the Valus strike in Destiny 1 is instructive of how far this game has come. Gargantuan environments, a clear leap in concurrent AI, rock solid encounter design end to end, tanks that are not DPS sponges (oh how I recoiled when a tank showed up - we toasted it in 30 seconds), and a sprawling, multi-phase boss fight in an environment that both requires and allows movement all over. It's a lot of fun. Leaps and bounds better than D1.

Does anyone have experience with guides games with the Raid? I really want to get this finished tonight and thinking about using guided games since there doesn't seem to be anyone on GAF running it

CLBridges

Switched over to FFXIV for a bit after Trials just to chill. Man, that mode can get so intense but that's what makes it great. Sometimes matchmaking is wtf but it is what it is for now. Flawless is definitely out the picture unless I get lucky and the planets align. Ready for the factions rally stuff next week.

I've officially given up on Trials. I got the best players I know on from D1 this morning after trying Friday and Saturday. Best we could do is 6 straight wins and we'd always run into some insanely strong team. Never had to try this hard in year one or two trials. It sucks because I'd really like to see that social space for myself but this is obviously Bungies prerogative to make trials as tough as possible.

If we all get together in regular pvp we never lose a game. Trials competition is insanely difficult atm.

Don’t you only need to win once for the social space??

Pastry

Banned
I’m going to try and band together a group for a fresh raid in like an hour and a half if anyone is around then.

I’ll ask again when the time comes, I haven’t done it yet by I’ve read some and I’m hoping to learn more as we go.

Frostburn

Does anyone have experience with guides games with the Raid? I really want to get this finished tonight and thinking about using guided games since there doesn't seem to be anyone on GAF running it

I don't think it is open for the Raid yet, could be wrong though. Seems okay for Nightfall.

Ramirez

But it's setup the exact same as year 1 Trials with no SBMM?

Xamdou

Our Gaf Progenitor Xbox One clan didn't get flawless but was able to get 7 wins! I lvled up three times in this trials run, thx to ProgenitorRyan, Obi Network And Sivioky! I am now at the 7th Win Emmisarry And is giving me a choice of three 298 Trials Legendary Weapons: Relentless, A Sudden Death or Adjudicator. I already have adjudicator from this trials run so which one should I get yalls, the Relentless or A Sudden Death?

ocean

Banned
Every long distance and a good number of medium distance engagements favor the Mida. That it loses in medium distance at all is due to AR's dmg going up in that range.

It's not just this map. It's not just that it's a free exotic.

And it's used incredibly often outside trials regardless of the map. I'm not basing my statements on how much it's used. I'm basing it on how the gun actually works both for and against. It needs to have HCR removed.
This is why Destiny ended up being the shell of its original self by year 3.

X is popular, therefore OP. Please nerf.
Bungie nerfs and everybody flocks to Y.
Y is popular, therefore OP. Please nerf.

Repeat until NLB+Sidearm goes from home handicap trash Loadout to legit meta.

Nothing about MIDA is OP. Mess with it and you’ll just have Nameless Midnight take its place within a day - and what then? The game will be exactly the same as it was the day before but you’ll have a different name up on top.

When people said TLW/Thorn were OP in HoW they meant “there’s 2 guns with sub-0.45s TTK while everything else is over 0.8s” - a situation where you genuinely couldn’t compete unless you used these things. Not “these are the most popular guns”; but rather “there is no instance you’ll win a 1v1 using anything else”.

In D2, MIDA is convenient, easy to get, easy to use, and a good enough performer to be viable. But you can absolutely use other stuff viably: whether it’s Midnight, Nightshade, Origin Story or probably a good number of other things I haven’t tried.

MIDA+Uriel’s is great but I’ve seen sweaty ass players do amazingly well in Trials using different stuff like:

Pervyyy: Better Devils + Pulse
ZL_Chriss: Nameless Midnight + Sidearm
SaturdayNights: Nightshade + Prosecutor
TripleWreck: Origin Story + SMG
WarBuiietproof: SMG + AR
Insanity: Better Devils + AR
Frostbolt: Better Devils + PR

When Destiny has had legitimately OP stuff you’d never see this kind of variety. MIDA accounts for ~34% of Trials kills right now- it’s absolutely the most popular. But I don’t think it’s anywhere near a must-own, must-use necessity the way other stuff has been at times.

I’m sure Bungie is all too keen to hammer it out of existence with their famously unsubtle nerfs and whatever it’s fine I guess. But when players jump the gun and scream for nerfs for stuff that is marginally better or more popular you just end up making the game worse.

bumpkin

Destiny noob here... I finished what I can only assume is the first story mission and now I’m at the Farm. Now I can’t figure out how to continue with the story. I spoke to Hawthorne and went to a mission in Trostland, but it felt like it just kept going and going; there didn’t seem to be a win condition. Enemies kept respawning as time passed and I kept seeing other players drop in and out, but I couldn’t actually finish it.

Am I missing something? What am I supposed to be doing to continue playing through the story?

Vorheez

Destiny noob here... I finished what I can only assume is the first story mission and now I’m at the Farm. Now I can’t figure out how to continue with the story. I spoke to Hawthorne and went to a mission in Trostland, but it felt like it just kept going and going; there didn’t seem to be a win condition. Enemies kept respawning as time passed and I kept seeing other players drop in and out, but I couldn’t actually finish it.

Am I missing something? What am I supposed to be doing to continue playing through the story?
You need to speak to Devrim in Trostland and follow his directions. He will be the green "person" marker on the map. Make sure you actually accepted the mission from Hawthorne as well. If there is still a red mission marker in the Farm then you haven't accepted it yet.

ocean

Banned

Once you’re at Trostland you should identify a blue marker on your map (hold the Touchpad) pointing you to Devrim, an NPC on the second floor or a church in the middle of the area. Once you talk to him you’ll have an adventure (orange logo on your map) which will give you an objective (scan this, find a chest, scan that, check out the basement). It’s a tutorial of sorts showing you how to activate mission markers and follow the map/minimap arrow.

Top Bottom