• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC Beta Thread - Codes are redeemable, preload starts Friday 25th, 10AM PDT

LtOrange

I wonder if Bungie is going to balance the PC version differently than the console versions. Hand cannons seem crazy powerful with m/kb controls compared to what I was experiencing in the PS4 beta.

Alright, I tried playing the first mission again, using a Hunter instead of a Titan, and forcing myself to not sprint or run too fast.

Tons of enemy encounters are still broken, they either don't see me or teleport and glitch all over the place. Lots of the scripted events are broken too. The guy who is supposed to make a shield and protect you from missiles in the plaza? Yeah that never happened.

I'm done. The game looks and runs great but I'm shocked they released it like this. I'm also really surprised I seem to be the only one having these problems.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Made a Titan and played through the story mission, and ran through the Strike twice. Pretty fun stuff. I've never played Destiny but it felt much better and more engaging than I would have expected. The only bummer is the lack of content; I'm not into PvP so I'm stuck re-running the same Strike over and over.

The big disappointment for me though is it seems like you basically play the game from a menu, similar to Warframe. I was kind of hoping for a big, MMO-like overworld where I can explore and do quests. In other words, a first-person MMO. Do we know if the game will have an overworld or if we'll be playing it primarily through mission select menus?

I wonder if Bungie is going to balance the PC version differently than the console versions. Hand cannons seem crazy powerful with m/kb controls compared to what I was experiencing in the PS4 beta.

Bungie (Luke Smith?) already said that they would be balanced separately in response to however the meta unfolds.

I wish text chat faded away after 30 seconds.

I'm done. The game looks and runs great but I'm shocked they released it like this. I'm also really surprised I seem to be the only one having these problems.
It's a beta. They didn't release it like this.

Made a Titan and played through the story mission, and ran through the Strike twice. Pretty fun stuff. I've never played Destiny but it felt much better and more engaging than I would have expected. The only bummer is the lack of content; I'm not into PvP so I'm stuck re-running the same Strike over and over.

The big disappointment for me though is it seems like you basically play the game from a menu, similar to Warframe. I was kind of hoping for a big, MMO-like overworld where I can explore and do quests. In other words, a first-person MMO. Do we know if the game will have an overworld or if we'll be playing it primarily through mission select menus?
It's all through menus, which is called the Director. You're right, a first-person MMO would be amazing but Bungie is calling Destiny 2 an "action shooter" but it of course has RPG and MMO elements.

daxy

Yeah, this is what I enjoyed immensely about The Division. From what I understand there'll be a few social hubs, but you'll be selecting missions in a menu format like in the beta.

noomi

There will be social areas where you can pick up quests/bounties/missions...etc
Also as in Destiny 1, I fully expect there to be a "universe map" of sorts where you select a planet for free roaming, or individual strikes/raids/story missions and such.

Kioshen

Alright, I tried playing the first mission again, using a Hunter instead of a Titan, and forcing myself to not sprint or run too fast.

Tons of enemy encounters are still broken, they either don't see me or teleport and glitch all over the place. Lots of the scripted events are broken too. The guy who is supposed to make a shield and protect you from missiles in the plaza? Yeah that never happened.

I'm shocked they released a beta as polished as this. Keep in mind that the build we are running is several months old already so it's not really an indication of the final product in any way. The beta was mostly as a server load test. Hopefully, they are able to gather enough data to fix edge cases like yours. I know a friend that was having problems with his game too but he had high latency to Blizzard's servers so that might be what you're experiencing.

noomi

How do you check scoreboard in multiplayer?

This is what kind of bugged me as well. You can look at the roster to see where you are on the board, or use the in-game HUD that also will show your place in the match. Actually K/D isn't displayed until the end I believe :/

TheRed

This is what kind of bugged me as well. You can look at the roster to see where you are on the board, or use the in-game HUD that also will show your place in the match. Actually K/D isn't displayed until the end I believe :/

Ok yeah it's weird. So that's just how the game is on consoles too? Just wanted to be sure I just wasn't missing a keybind for it.

Nick_C

Had to cancel my Amazon preordernad put in another one before I was sent my key. Oddly enough, the key was sent before my order confirmation.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
OK cool, I guess it's good that I temper my expectations then. Playing the game through mission select menus doesn't sound amazing, but I guess as long as there's lots of content it may stay fresh.

There will be social areas where you can pick up quests/bounties/missions...etc
Also as in Destiny 1, I fully expect there to be a "universe map" of sorts where you select a planet for free roaming, or individual strikes/raids/story missions and such.

Of course there is which is why I've said since the console beta that the format (3 separate game modes, zero player progression, no patrol space) of the beta in general does not represent the overall experience of playing Destiny well at all.

There are patrol destinations just like in the original Destiny where you explore and take on Public Events, Story Missions, etc and open up/discover new stuff to do as you progress/explore throughout the game.

It should be noted that these patrol play-spaces (especially the EDZ) are said to be bigger than anything in Destiny and chock-full of activities to take part in with the additions of Adventures, Lost Sectors, Regular/Heroic Public Events, etc.

I really hope they make it so characters transfer between versions of the game at some point. I don't expect crossplay, but since all of my friends will be playing it on the Xbox, I would absolutely double dip if my progress I made on the PC would transfer to my character on the Xbox.

TheRed

Yep, this is how Destiny 1 was as well.

Ok cool. I'll just have to get used to that then. Does Bungie.net do cool detailed stat tracking like they used to do in Halo? I don't know anything about what they've done with Destiny 1 lol.

Just checked. I guess they don't?

mikeGFG

Banned
Couple questions:

1) You can't mute the overly annoying, even borderlandsian NPC dialogue, huh?

2) Is there any way to play streaming music while playing on PC?

noomi

Ok cool. I'll just have to get used to that then. Does Bungie.net do cool detailed stat tracking like they used to do in Halo? I don't know anything about what they've done with Destiny 1 lol.

Just checked. I guess they don't?

Bungie.net is kind of a mess right now, but there were VERY detailed crucible/strike/raid/story mission stats to look at. I'm sure they will bring it all back come release time.

UberLevi

Do we know if the game will have an overworld or if we'll be playing it primarily through mission select menus?

There are patrol zones which feature large, open locales filled with roaming enemies, short sidequests, and hidden areas with minibosses and treasure. So there's multiple regions to explore filled with stuff to do, on top of singular strike missions, story missions, PvP offerings, and the raid.

Couple questions:

1) You can't mute the overly annoying, even borderlandsian NPC dialogue, huh?

2) Is there any way to play streaming music while playing on PC?

I doubt music streaming is built in, but you can just run music in the background and take out music from in game. Thats what I do with a lot of games.

everyer

It's not a demo, It's beta special version.
Don't worry. It has huge wildlands.

This is not like D1 demo which cut the first 7 levels from the whole game.
It's just a special edition which only contains a strike, a mission and 2 pvp map.
That's it.

You can't even create your own character or get engram from the loot.

The campaign's length will be about 20+ hours, after that you will have plenty of pve/pvp/wild activities.

mikeGFG

Banned
I doubt music streaming is built in, but you can just run music in the background and take out music from in game. Thats what I do with a lot of games.

Well specifically with the streaming music, I can't seem to play any external music while Destiny 2 is running (through websites, Google Play, Winamp, etc). I figured this was a side effect of their extremely aggressive anti-cheat tech.

Well specifically with the streaming music, I can't seem to play any external music while Destiny 2 is running (through websites, Google Play, Winamp, etc). I figured this was a side effect of their extremely aggressive anti-cheat tech.

Hmm, that is very strange. I will have to try once the public beta goes live. I am sure there is some way around it.

I wish text chat faded away after 30 seconds.

It's a beta. They didn't release it like this.

I'm shocked they released a beta as polished as this. Keep in mind that the build we are running is several months old already so it's not really an indication of the final product in any way. The beta was mostly as a server load test. Hopefully, they are able to gather enough data to fix edge cases like yours. I know a friend that was having problems with his game too but he had high latency to Blizzard's servers so that might be what you're experiencing.

Hey don't get me wrong I totally understand it's a beta. I'm not angry. I'm just a bit taken aback because of how polished the beta for the first game and even this one was on consoles. This is the first time I've seen major bugs like this.

If you’re the only one experiencing it why’re you shocked the released it in a working state for everyone else?

I should have specified - only one in this thread.

zeox

spotify works just fine for me?

TheRed

Bungie.net is kind of a mess right now, but there were VERY detailed crucible/strike/raid/story mission stats to look at. I'm sure they will bring it all back come release time.

Sounds great. Can't wait for this game now after playing the beta.

Yeah, this is what I enjoyed immensely about The Division. From what I understand there'll be a few social hubs, but you'll be selecting missions in a menu format like in the beta.

Eh kinda.

Destiny has huge open world areas called Patrol Zones. They are massive and you can do lots of smaller quests/ exploration in them.

You will be selecting Story and Strike Missions how they are in the Beta though. But make no mistake there are massive open worlds in Destiny 2 to explore

Hand Cannons are fucking broken in PVP. Like, holy shit. I don't remember anything this ridiculous from D1. Hand Cannon wins in any trade at all.

Sheytan

The beta is over for me still banned after 17 hours, i hope the retail version will work on my account :(

Have i been banned for having cheat engine installed or for having nvidia overlay enabled?

wwm0nkey

I am not crazy in thinking the aiming in this game is just super smooth right? Like I play a lot of PC games, but this feels amazing

Hand Cannons are fucking broken in PVP. Like, holy shit. I don't remember anything this ridiculous from D1. Hand Cannon wins in any trade at all.

Nah. They're good across the board and maybe could use a slight nerf but I think scout/pulse win at a distance, smg's win up close. Auto rifles may need some buffing though.

TheRed

The beta is over for me still banned after 17 hours, i hope the retail version will work on my account :(

Have i been banned for having cheat engine installed or for having nvidia overlay enabled?

well I have nvidia overlay on entire time. Must be cheat engine. Did you just have it open and got banned? Hope I don't accidentally have it open one time..

feel

Is the beginning of the Nessus area, part of the open world area of the planet we will see in the final game?? Seems way too pretty and open to be just for a coop mission.

OK cool, I guess it's good that I temper my expectations then. Playing the game through mission select menus doesn't sound amazing, but I guess as long as there's lots of content it may stay fresh.
I was also very confused and disappointed about the structure of this game.

But then I read this article and watched this video and despite remaining confused became excited that it's not just menus -> bang bang bang -> back to menus with your ship in orbit, and there's actually some exploring to be done in big areas and stuff to find and tackle in real time.

Tabs

After you use your super, the game puts you back on your kinetic weapon even if you had your energy weapon equipped. Whether that's a bug or design decision, it's annoying. Anyone else experiencing that? I only played with Hunter last night.

Deepo

After you use your super, the game puts you back on your kinetic weapon even if you had your energy weapon equipped. Whether that's a bug or design decision, it's annoying. Anyone else experiencing that? I only played with Hunter last night.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Not ideal.

Dartastic

I can deal with no cross-play. The more I think about it though, the more bothered I am that there's no cross-save. This is such a shitty, shitty decision to make and I think I'm going to have to go with the PS4 version because that's where the vast majority of my friends will be. I'd even consider double dipping on this because I'm having so much fun on the PC, but without cross save there's no way. :(

Top Bottom