• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC Beta Thread - Codes are redeemable, preload starts Friday 25th, 10AM PDT

Jarate

Banned
I bet you can still do most content with a controller without aim assist. Only PVP and high end raids would be unplayable

I'll pull up the reddit thread, but software based hit detection will always beat Kb/m if implemented poorly. There seems to be a peaking issue (i.e. reticle will stick to someone that's behind a wall) that apparently is an issue.

Again, your input preference should not be met with software based assistance.

It would be akin to someone using a controller getting double inputs vs an arcade stick in fighting games.

I see your point, but the fact is keyboards are straight up bad for shooters and I avoid them at all costs. Yes you get used to them, but I play a lot of both and even with inferior aiming technique I choose controller every time all things being equal. I'm honestly amazed that nobody has come up with a quality alternative to the keyboard part of the kb/m setup (yes, I know you can jerry rig a controller/mouse setup); using 4 buttons to move is archaic, big ass space bar to jump is clunky, having to move your fingers to duck/run? Hell no. Controllers have everything where you need them plus the comfort associated with it. Mouse is a superior input to an analog for aim, but that's literally it. I'm really glad they're properly supporting gamepads on PC, after all it's the way Destiny was designed to play in the first place.

GMG seems to have bumped up the price to $54.

Anyone know of a lower preorder price?

They were so cheeky offering 18% off till the day before open beta. Made me take the risk and buy the digital deluxe pack for 80 dollars blind. Glad I did though. Enjoying what I've played so far.

mikeGFG

Banned
I see your point, but the fact is keyboards are straight up bad for shooters and I avoid them at all costs. Yes you get used to them, but I play a lot of both and even with inferior aiming technique I choose controller every time all things being equal. I'm honestly amazed that nobody has come up with a quality alternative to the keyboard part of the kb/m setup (yes, I know you can jerry rig a controller/mouse setup); using 4 buttons to move is archaic, big ass space bar to jump is clunky, having to move your fingers to duck/run? Hell no. Controllers have everything where you need them plus the comfort associated with it. Mouse is a superior input to an analog for aim, but that's literally it. I'm really glad they're properly supporting gamepads on PC, after all it's the way Destiny was designed to play in the first place.

Simply using the mouse to steer the camera, and thus your character, in any direction with a simple flick basically invalidates your post.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Sitting back and watching a teammate Ult into a group of enemies is so visually spectacular every time. <3

Cool, thanks! That's exciting.

Do you think they will be rewarding exploration with lil treasures in the final game? It's completely barren in the beta. Would be cool to spend 15 minutes climbing some structure with friends not just for the challenge and the view, but also to possibly find a hidden chest in some nook up there with something, even if a minor thing like a few credits.
its a possibility that there are hidden activities on the map however from the previews we’ve seen it looks like many things that could’ve been secrets are revealed on the map (i.e. dungeons and treasure chests).

Gonna go out on a limb and say the part where you aim your gun in a shooter outweighs just about everything else.

Yeah, I didn't mean to say it like it has no weight to it, it does. And like I said, I get his position, aim assist does muddy the waters, but to me it's a small compromise to pay for a more cohesive shooter experience. It is just my opinion, and I get why people would say otherwise. And I know probably almost everyone here disagrees with me.

Simply using the mouse to steer the camera, and thus your character, in any direction with a simple flick basically invalidates your post.

For Counterstrike sure, it's a twitch shooter. But the extra milisecond it takes to do a full turn on a gamepad doesn't matter as much in a shooter with high TTK. What matters is precision (accuracy over time), proper strafe movement matched with maintaining the reticle on an opponent.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
quick first impressions: looks gorgeous (didnt even mess with the settings tbh, it looked so good and was rock solid 60fps so I was good lol), plays great.

Doesnt explain anything which sucks, like how to use powers and shit, and the worst part, suddenly it dropped me with other players for no reason, which was fine... until one of the players was an idiot and didnt go to the obvious checkmark, just kept killing the endless spawning waves of enemies, and I couldnt progress.

And then I crashed

quick first impressions: looks gorgeous (didnt even mess with the settings tbh, it looked so good and was rock solid 60fps so I was good lol), plays great.

Doesnt explain anything which sucks, like how to use powers and shit, and the worst part, suddenly it dropped me with other players for no reason, which was fine... until one of the players was an idiot and didnt go to the obvious checkmark, just kept killing the endless spawning waves of enemies, and I couldnt progress.

And then I crashed

Destiny in a nutshell when playing with randoms and newbies to the game.

Wallach

RE: the aim assist discussion, I think it's both fine to leave in and leave open the discussion as to whether it is too aggressive. The angle about what is standard or not is kind of a non-starter; this series' precedent would actually put the gamepad as standard, and in the specific context of PC you aren't beholden to accepting the KB/M as your standard anyway. That part is entirely in their court, and in this case both KB/M and gamepad are clearly both core input devices.

Devices like the XIM make the discussion as to the actual magnitude / effects of their aim assist implementation more relevant, though it should be kept in good faith in that the user base even using one of those products is incredibly small. You still have to ensure that it doesn't become a factor in competitive play; it's probably easier for them to consider making deep checks on whether such a device is connected (including the opportunity cost of the work involved with dealing with device masking to counter that), as well as just the general standard gamepad implementation of aim assist. But I don't think with the precedent already being so set in that removing it entirely is going to work out best in the end.

Edit - for example, one of the safer routes I think would be to look at adjusting (or even possibly removing) aim assist effects specifically in PvP modes.

im random and new to the game.
Im talking about the other guys not going to the check point. You spotted the next step, they obviously didn't.
It happens a lot, even on consoles after 3 years of original Destiny.
Teammates not reviving, wrong load outs on strikes, etc. It does get better

LQX

GMG seems to have bumped up the price to $54.

Anyone know of a lower preorder price?

Best Buy GCU. You get back $10. Also saw a few in the sales thread for $40, but you need at least a 1080 to redeem the code.

Nick_C

Ahh, the Destiny that I remember. Teammates rushing ahead, getting downed, then getting angry when you can't revive them. Still getting it on PS4/PC.

Blu(e)

What makes keyboards bad for shooters?

Counterpoint. This feels way better on a keyboard than a controller.

kabel

With Blizzard games, with your Bnet account you can choose to play on different servers for Overwatch, Hearthstone, Diablo, etc. But your progress on one server doesn't carry over to another.

It does though!?

I played with my EU acc on NA Overwatch servers and everything was the same when I switched regions.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
welp, I made a new character, people were being dumb again, but they finally went to the objective and...I crashed again. And now I crash (not crash to desktop, just get disconected back to the character screen) on the loading screen, cant eveng et back in.

So I cant finish the story and thus cant try the strike... good times. I know, I know, its a beta.

How do you delete characters?

edit: oops nvm its F on character select screen, wasnt showing up earlier for whatever reason.

edit: the reason being you cant delete if you only have one >_>

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is the beta any different from the console version? Will it have an hour to try out farm?

Some minor adjustments to gameplay were made:

FIXED: Infinite Super Glitch
Infinite Supers are all well and good until someone loses an eye.

FIXED: Warlock Glide Glitch
This bug was awesome... So awesome it hurt us a little bit to kill it. Thanks to those in the console Beta who helped us track this down.

FIXED: Infinite Grenades Glitch
Another issue found with the help of our friends in the console Beta. (Thank you!)

FIXED: Warlocks now have the same Melee Range as all other classes
With the exception of where perks directly increase their range, Warlocks will punch like the rest of us. Our PC friends will get a chance to experience a world with consistent base melee ranges. So will the rest of you, when the game launches.

TWEAKED: Globally reduced the time it takes to charge your Super
This was a big change that came directly from your feedback during the console beta. We agree it was taking a bit too long to cook up a Super.

TWEAKED: Increased Grenade Damage in PvE
Increased damage helps Grenades feel as powerful as they should facing hordes of alien combatants and, more specifically, makes the longer cooldowns more palatable. We want abilities to be slightly more rare, but worth it. In the console Beta, the ”worth it" part wasn't quite there yet.

TWEAKED: Increased Power Ammo drops in PvE
This is something we had felt internally and have been slowly tuning up over the last several weeks. The PC beta has been updated with our new values and will provide much more Power ammo in PvE than what was found before. Power ammo can also be directly farmed from all Yellow Bar Combatants. Go big, Guardians!

Unless Bungie has a change of heart, there'll be no access to The Farm.

How do you delete characters?

Restart the game and there'll be a character selection screen. You can't delete all your characters, just all but one, so the delete option won't appear until you have at least two.

Rhaknar

and got booted off again shortly after that plaza fight again. Yeah im done with this, cba to keep restarting over and over again. Guess I wont see the strike.

why do I have to restart the game every time too, is that how the actual finished game will be? Are there no save points?

And then I crashed
Uh, that's not how that should have happened. In the earlier beta at least it was just seamless multiplayer in a similar sense to the Souls but with you both sharing the same enemies. Your quests are independent of each other though.

So you kill the amount of waves it says you need to (3 iirc) and then move on. Pretty sure the zone for MP is between the main area and the second bit where Ikora nukes the enemies. Not disputing what happened, just trying to let you know that's not how it's supposed to function. In Destiny 1 patrols you had the same thing but as soon as you left the area, hit a loading wall or triggered a quest event it would faze out everyone else and return to SP.

Edit: This all assumes that you're talking about the Story mission when you're fighting the waves on the Tower with Zavala (the guy with the purple bubble), and not the matchmaking 3-player Strike.

aravuus

Okay holy shit, this feels amazing to play. I wasn't a fan of Destiny 1 so I figured that whatever, might as well try this since it's a free beta but I doubt I'll buy this.

Well, turns out I was wrong and now I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger lol.

Just one question: how easy will it be to play coop content with random people? I know that you have to "manually" team up with others for the high level raids or something, but like 90% of the content can be played with randoms through matchmaking, right? Cause I highly doubt I can get any of my friends to get this, so I'd be playing with random people.

broony

Okay holy shit, this feels amazing to play. I wasn't a fan of Destiny 1 so I figured that whatever, might as well try this since it's a free beta but I doubt I'll buy this.

Well, turns out I was wrong and now I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger lol.

Just one question: how easy will it be to play coop content with random people? I know that you have to "manually" team up with others for the high level raids or something, but like 90% of the content can be played with randoms through matchmaking, right? Cause I highly doubt I can get any of my friends to get this, so I'd be playing with random people.

You can try the matchmaking in the beta by doing the strike, but yeah, it's very easy.

Top Bottom