• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC Beta Thread - Codes are redeemable, preload starts Friday 25th, 10AM PDT

Dec

:) Nice. Might give it a go. Well I guess it makes sense for any FPS to feature heavier autoaim in multiplayer since controller players would get mauled.

Overwatch tried but removed it. It was too prone to abuse.

And also I disagree with aim assist in a PC game anyways, you choose your input. Not anyone's fault but your own if you choose the one that leaves you at a disadvantage.

I think bungie are going to be much more stubborn about this than blizzard were, though.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Overwatch tried but removed it. It was too prone to abuse.

And also I disagree with aim assist in a PC game anyways, you choose your input. Not anyone's fault but your own if you choose the one that leaves you at a disadvantage.

I think bungie are going to be much more stubborn about this than blizzard were, though.

As long as they protect the game from exploits of AA (like that 'controller' KB+M from the Overwatch controversy) they will never remove it, it's core to the Destiny feel (and it feels magnificent, and just like the PS4 version on controller currently).

I think you would be surprised how many people will play D2 with a controller: the pull of your 4KTV/HDR is strong with this one (I got an Elite controller just for this and ESO btw).

ViciousDS

Banned
So I decided to try a controller last night for the hell of it. My lord is the aim assist insane. I don't get the snap and quickness of my mouse. But I was getting headshots for free holy shit.....that's a little nuts, people strafing didn't do shit. Kind of takes the skill out of the game.....like a back and forth fight just ends up being who has a controller that basically stays locked on the whole time.

Sailent

Banned
So, quick questions. If I farm the pve quest, can I obtain the whole gear? Or am I losing time? Got the same helmet twice, so...

Arksy

So I played through the tutorial mission and the strike mission and so far it feels like a slow Warframe without the depth or complexity with great production values and presentation.

What am I missing?

Zojirushi

I'm not a multiplayer game kinda guy so now I'm wondering if they super frontloaded the game with story stuff in that one mission or if this could be interesting for solo players.

Because this is a pretty slick looking PC game and the shooting does feel good.

But man somebody needs to scale down these weapon models a bit, they're huuuge holy shit.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm not a multiplayer game kinda guy so now I'm wondering if they super frontloaded the game with story stuff in that one mission or if this could be interesting for solo players.

Because this is a pretty slick looking PC game and the shooting does feel good.

But man somebody needs to scale down these weapon models a bit, they're huuuge holy shit.

That's Destiny size weapons, part of the charm lol.

Tovarisc

So I played through the tutorial mission and the strike mission and so far it feels like a slow Warframe without the depth or complexity with great production values and presentation.

What am I missing?
  • Extensive loot system
  • Patrols
  • Strikes
  • Raids
  • Leveling experience and power grind
  • Friends?
From perspective of selling Destiny to new comers this beta is quite a failure as it features so small and scrubbed clean slice of what Destiny is. I have played quite a bit Warframe and they are different games in many ways yet same. Depth and complexity of Warframe isn't mind blowing once you realize what mechanics are, but neither is Destinys.

Don't write D2 too off just because beta is poor representation of what makes Destiny good and fun game.

P.S. ye ye, I know "But betas are demos!" argument.

TheDanger

Banned
Does Fraps FPS counter work for anyone else with the beta? Is there any other way to show FPS in the game, command line options or something?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
  • Extensive loot system
  • Patrols
  • Strikes
  • Raids
  • Friends?
From perspective of selling Destiny to new comers this beta is quite a failure as it features so small and scrubbed clean slice of what Destiny is. I have played quite a bit Warframe and they are different games in many ways yet same. Depth and complexity of Warframe isn't mind blowing once you realize what mechanics are, but neither is Destinys.

Don't write D2 too off just because beta is poor representation of what makes Destiny good and fun game.

This x 100.

The social adventure/sweaty aspect of Destiny is what's missing and arguably the best thing about the game when it's in it's full form: this is just a Beta of game mechanics, which a lot of people aren't getting (seeing it as a demo etc, which it so isn't).

Arksy

• Extensive loot system
  • Patrols
  • Strikes
  • Raids
  • Friends?

Thanks for that. You literally answered my question. The beta lets you use a good range of guns but they don't tell you whether there is a skill/powers or mod system or anything like that and doesn't really tell you how the loot system really works. I'm hoping there's a lot more depth to the three? classes available.

daxy

Are story missions a one and done kind of thing in Destiny or can you replay them at a higher difficulty (with others)?

teokrazia

Game performs beautifully on my rig, Bungie has done a splendid job with PC version, but... this game still bores me to death.

The fact that the most fun I had was in the Counter-Strike wanna-be mode in PvP, something I've already played hundreds of times and better (BOIII, for instance), says alot, I guess.

Tovarisc

Thanks for that. You literally answered my question. The beta lets you use a good range of guns but they don't tell you whether there is a skill/powers or mod system or anything like that and doesn't really tell you how the loot system really works. I'm hoping there's a lot more depth to the three? classes available.

It was tad limited in D1, but by sounds of it are extending on it in D2 and it's item builds. You get exotic items that can drastically alter how some ability functions for specific sub-class and you can build around that with other armor pieces and weapons. I'm just as curious to see how it works and have they successfully extended on what D1 was already doing.

I would hit up Twitch next week and look up people like Gothalion for that small full game taste to get better view on what Destiny (2) is when all parts are actually there.

I wish they had taken EDZ, cut it in e.g. half and put into PC beta with engram drops, chests etc. included. From showing their hand perspective it would have been bad and not added to beta side of things, but would have sold game and its core better to newcomers.

Are story missions a one and done kind of thing in Destiny or can you replay them at a higher difficulty (with others)?

Surprised if daily heroic missions aren't coming back meaning yes, they should be replayable on higher difficulty settings.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Game performs beautifully on my rig, Bungie has done a splendid job with PC version, but... this game still bores me to death.

The fact that the most fun I had was in the Counter-Strike wanna-be mode in PvP, something I've already played hundreds of times and better (BOIII, for instance), says alot, I guess.

You mean Vicarious Visions. Bungie has overall control yeah but Vicarious Visions did the PC version while Bungie did the console versions.

ZehDon

Played through the story mission, and boy, it's clear PC players are going to wipe the floor with this. Mouse and keyboard is just too damn accurate for the way its been balanced - barely missed a critical for the entire mission, and every encounter was laughably easy. Compared to how it felt on my PS4, this was a pretty interesting development, and very unexpected.

This raises some questions about how Bungie intend to balance this. Are PC and consoles going to be balanced individually? I walked through this mission without so much as a sweaty moment, whereas I felt that the PS4 version packed a few hot moments that are really key to the feeling of the game.

I came into the beta knowing it was a game some people hate to love. I've enjoyed Halo in the past and this did absolutely nothing for me. The enemies were boring to look at and to fight, there was very little interesting going on.

I liked the graphic design, environment art and even the performances were good. The rest was a big eh. Perhaps I'll try a free weekend when you can play more of the game.

Tovarisc

Played through the story mission, and boy, it's clear PC players are going to wipe the floor with this. Mouse and keyboard is just too damn accurate for the way its been balanced - barely missed a critical for the entire mission, and every encounter was laughably easy. Compared to how it felt on my PS4, this was a pretty interesting development, and very unexpected.

This raises some questions about how Bungie intend to balance this. Are PC and consoles going to be balanced individually? I walked through this mission without so much as a sweaty moment, whereas I felt that the PS4 version packed a few hot moments that are really key to the feeling of the game.

They have very clearly changed stuff below the hood and it isn't just because you can click on heads easier. On PS4 Beta I was able to land consistent critical shots easily, but enemies didn't go down at this rate. Not even close.

They have lowered enemy HP values and/or across the board given weapons PvE damage boost. Difference is so drastic that it isn't explained by control mechanic swap.

Also yes, PC project lead said balance for consoles and PC will be separated.

jediyoshi

I'd doubt it. On the other end of the spectrum, as long as there's still aim assist on controller, people's ability to aim things down still largely falls on the player rather than their control scheme. I watched this streamer for a few hours on the PC beta using a controller and he MVPed every game

https://clips.twitch.tv/UnsightlyMildWormCurseLit

Tovarisc

I'd doubt it. On the other end of the spectrum, as long as there's still aim assist on controller, people's ability to aim things down still largely falls on the player rather than their control scheme. I watched this streamer for a few hours on the PC beta using a controller and he MVPed every game

https://clips.twitch.tv/UnsightlyMildWormCurseLit

It helps that with pad you currently get console versions aim assist which with Bungo tuning means it's borderline aim assist with insane magnet for head tracking.

They better toss that shit out.

ZehDon

They have very clearly changed stuff below the hood and it isn't just because you can click on heads easier. On PS4 Beta I was able to land consistent critical shots easily, but enemies didn't go down at this rate. Not even close.

They have lowered enemy HP values and/or across the board given weapons PvE damage boost. Difference is so drastic that it isn't explained by control mechanic swap.

Also yes, PC project lead said balance for consoles and PC will be separated.
Source for the bolded? Interesting if true - chewing through the enemies at this rate alters the feel enormously. I just assumed I was terrible with the gamepad and K+M was punching well above its weight.

Tovarisc

Source for the bolded? Interesting if true - chewing through the enemies at this rate alters the feel enormously. I just assumed I was terrible with the gamepad and K+M was punching well above its weight.

Playing PS4 Beta and now PC Beta? Difference is insane. I can aim for heads consistently with pad just like with KBM and difference between builds is drastic.

Beta or not, the game does a very poor job of explaining... Many things.

For better or worse this beta clearly isn't meant to explain things.

aravuus

Switching from controller to m/k i noticed i tend to hipfire a lot. I barely ads anymore.

Yeah. At first I didn't even realize it, but then I figured it must be the reason why shooting in this game feels so good to me - accuracy isn't absurdly low when hipfiring. In fact, the hand cannons at least are very accurate even outside of ADS.

And I love it. Fuck endless ADS.

Moobabe

A quick question, sorry if I missed this chat, the new option in game (Social) that prompts you to pre-order.

Is that something locked behind pre-orders? Or literally just a pre-order button? Because I've pre-ordered but I still have that prompt there.

Arksy

Yeah. At first I didn't even realize it, but then I figured it must be the reason why shooting in this game feels so good to me - accuracy isn't absurdly low when hipfiring. In fact, the hand cannons at least are very accurate even outside of ADS.

And I love it. Fuck endless ADS.

Hand cannons are fun.

The best new addition for sure is the ability to climb up the last meter of structures. No more making a sad face when not making a jump and slowly gliding down towards doom.

Hand cannons are fun.

Yeah but the mouse allows us to have unprecedented accuracy wiith them, so I can see Bungie nerfing HCs big time on PC.

So did they just not bother rebalancing the content for PC? The campaign mission was absurdly easy at 60fps with KB/M.

Doesn't seem like it. The Strike was pretty easy as well. Wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the reason they have a staggered release.

Blam

Yeah but the mouse allows us to have unprecedented accuracy wiith them, so I can see Bungie nerfing HCs big time on PC.

Doesn't seem like it. The Strike was pretty easy as well. Wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the reason they have a staggered release.

Nah rifles are still king. Hunter rifle is fucking op as hell when you change the perks.

TitusTroy

sounds like the PC version is hands down the best one but are most fans going to wait an extra 6 weeks to play this on PC?...are they going to get it both on console and PC?...this would have been the ideal game for cross-play or cross-save

Ovek

7Member7

In Destiny 1 you could replay them with friends or if your like me just played through the entire game co-op.

dawid

The environments are beutiful but at the same time so empty and lifeless. It feels like not even small objects can't be moved or manipulated even with explosions. 2017 thats gives a really flat feeling.

And are drops from enemies the only typ of items that can be found?

MaxiLive

When you hit the open world it feels a bit more lively as you'll see more people and AI plodding about but there isn't much set dressing as it is supposed to be a more natural barren setting.

Also physics crush CPUs which consoles don't have much of so these large scale environments also have slightly less interactivity.

The open areas did feel and look great in Destiny 1 so hoping the same in Destiny 2.

Lanrutcon

So I just spent a few hours on the beta, and I have questions:

1) Do characters get abilities beyond their super and their V skill thingy? Like, more activated abilities.
2) Do you only get loot at the end of each mission? no drops or anything like that?
3) I accidentally right clicked on a weapon and there was a screen with mods and colors and bits! There's an Infuse option: does that mean I can keep my favourite weapon by just infusing it over and over until it's the highest item level there is?
4) The strike/raid/dungeon thingy felt pretty hard. Only did it 3 times, but boy did I see a lot of randoms die over and over and over.
5) Does the game have some kind of transmog system for ugly armor?

That opening mission was fantastic. Better than anything in year 1. I'm actually looking forward to the story mode now. The strike was cool too. Haven't touched PvP as it's not my bag at all but the solo and co op stuff is awesome so far. Can I just say how utterly fucking gorgeous it looks too. 1440p, 60fps, man it just looks beautiful in motion. Hyped for October now

So I just spent a few hours on the beta, and I have questions:

1) Do characters get abilities beyond their super and their V skill thingy? Like, more activated abilities.
2) Do you only get loot at the end of each mission? no drops or anything like that?
3) I accidentally right clicked on a weapon and there was a screen with mods and colors and bits! There's an Infuse option: does that mean I can keep my favourite weapon by just infusing it over and over until it's the highest item level there is?
4) The strike/raid/dungeon thingy felt pretty hard. Only did it 3 times, but boy did I see a lot of randoms die over and over and over.
5) Does the game have some kind of transmog system for ugly armor?

1- There are perks you get from exotics that can change your playstyle in some ways

2 - You get loot from Engrams that allows to decrypt gear (It ranges from Rare to Exotic) and they often drop from enemies

3 - From Luke Smith's latest Q&A on Youtube, he confirmed that you can change your energy weapon's element using weapon mods. As for infuse, it allows you to dismantle a more powerful weapon/armor so you can infuse its attack/defense of the weapon/armor you are equipped with.

5 - Infusion is somewhat like that. You have a favorite armor piece you wanna keep using it, but you don't want to replace it with a more powerful but ugly armor piece, so you dismantle the latter for infusion

Top Bottom