• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC Beta Thread - Codes are redeemable, preload starts Friday 25th, 10AM PDT

What's the general consensus on performance?

I've got an i7 6700K and a GTX 1070, both at factory clocks. getting anywhere between sub 30 to 60 frames on 2560x1440, max settings. :/

Haven't gotten the latest drivers tho, so that might help, but I'm a little sad my machine is struggling so much with this game.

turn off msaa

Oublieux

Something feels off about the controls, and for some reason my aim is shitty with a mouse, which is odd as I have no problems in UT.

Maybe it's having to use ADS that's putting me off, still it's surprisingly silky compared to D1.

I felt this way, too, and as prior Destiny 1 player, the only conclusion I could reach was that there is a bit of disconnect in terms of gameplay and control input.

For example, pressing shift to sprint doesn't feel immediate, but it never felt that way on console, possibly because the slight lag time was to compensate for clicking the joystick in Destiny 1. I also feel that although aiming with the cursor is relatively snappy, there is a bit of a clash with the floaty jumping mechanics--I always expect to be able to jump and fall more quickly than it actually does in game. In other words, there's a bit of opposition with the fast mouse/keyboard input method with the slower movement of the game.

And, lastly, just a minor thing--I'm not a fan of the crosshair. I wish it was a bit smaller and less intrusive.

Game's not bad, but I really don't like the writing so far. I guess I can pretty much just ignore the story and grind for loot if I do end up getting this, though.

xet72

3570k @ 4.5ghz w/ RX 480 performance at 1080p w/ some settings turned down felt smooth. I was shocked that the autoaim is stronger on the PC version than the console version. Its strong and put good controller players at an advantage to mouse & kb players. They should tone down AA to balance mouse and keyboard vs controller players in crucible

Evo X

Playing on LG C7 OLED. Can't choose higher than 2560x1440 Resolution. What's up with that? Don't have a secondary monitor or Vive hooked up, but it is being routed through a Denon X4300H reciever so I can use my Dolby Atmos setup.

HDR works if I lower resolution to 1080P, otherwise it's a washed out mess. Hope they can sort this out or else I'm going to be wary to pre order. Anyone have a solution?

Using Nvidia Titan XP with latest drivers and Windows 10 update.

feel

Does anyone have any good guesses on the settings to sort of get ps4 version visuals? I want to cap it at 30fps and play with a controller to see the difference, just for fun.

How does one create an orb? I've seen the statistic at the end of the strike and have no idea what this means.
By doing damage with your ultimate. They feed your teammates' ultimates.

dengatron

how does killing enemies with your super ability create an orb?...the more enemies killed with it gives your squadmates faster regen of their super ability?

that's just how the game functions. when you kill multiple enemies with the use of your super you spawn orbs that adds super meter to your teammates. it's a cycle of overpowered

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
2 questions from a non-Destiny player

Were there more base classes in the original game? Will they be adding classes over time?

How is the loot in this game? I come from games like Warframe and Path of Exile which basically shower you in loot. I'm not expecting that level of loot but I'd like a steady clip of things to obsess over.

The download servers must be getting hammered or something. I'm getting a horrible download speed right now trying to download the open beta. Sure wish it could have been pre-loaded. :(

dengatron

so you have to walk in the orbs to get the faster regen or is it automatic?

you collect them off the ground and get a portion of your super meter filled. if you want to know what they look like you should play the story mission. commander zavala bubbles and like 8 orbs drop every time he does. if you pick them up you gain a ton of super meter from them

Trace

Banned
2 questions from a non-Destiny player

Were there more base classes in the original game? Will they be adding classes over time?

How is the loot in this game? I come from games like Warframe and Path of Exile which basically shower you in loot. I'm not expecting that level of loot but I'd like a steady clip of things to obsess over.

There's a third subclass for each class in the final game. Vanilla D1 had just the two subclasses per. There is a decent amount of loot, but only a small subset of it (at least in D1) was worth using. So you end up hunting for that.

Sygma

Aim is weird as hell with KB+M. Maybe it's because I played 2k hours of D1 with a DS4?

Something feels really off, I don't have issues in OW with KB+M.

Not that it matters I will be playing on PS4 with my friends.

There is suppression just like in bf3/4, gotta shoot and hit first. When you re getting hit just don't fight back but take cover for the effect to dissipate so you can then shoot accurately

TitusTroy

how do I activate the 'Air Move'...I'm playing as a Hunter but when I jump up in the air and hit that Air Move key nothing happens...how does it work?

Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy the pvp? I liked the pve, and the game runs amazingly but I can't justify buying the game just for pve content. I've played years of Hall and this just feels like a watered down version of Halo. Plus with all the double jumping around, it just felt weird. I'm also just tired of smaller map design, codww2 has them and now this game has them. Feels bad, because I really wish I could get into another fpsmmorpg. I was into The division for quite a while, putting maybe 400 hours into it.

Trace

Banned
Any way to check the ping on multiplayer? Or even SP for that matter?

No. You can see a bar-based version of your ping next to your name in certain menus, but Bungie keeps anything network related outside of that as obtuse as possible.

Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy the pvp? I liked the pve, and the game runs amazingly but I can't justify buying the game just for pve content. I've played years of Hall and this just feels like a watered down version of Halo. Plus with all the double jumping around, it just felt weird. I'm also just tired of smaller map design, codww2 has them and now this game has them. Feels bad, because I really wish I could get into another fpsmmorpg. I was into The division for quite a while, putting maybe 400 hours into it.

There's plenty of PvE content to make it worth a purchase. It just isn't in this beta.

there's plenty of PvE content to make it worth a purchase. It just isn't in this beta.

I'll have to wait and see once it's released. I originally purchased the game on battle.net, but after an hour of frustration in pvp today, I refunded the game. I just can't see myself getting into another arena (small level, hits can, jumpjet) shooter anytime soon.

Trace

Banned
I'll have to wait and see once it's released. I originally purchased the game on battle.net, but after an hour of frustration in pvp today, I refunded the game. I just can't see myself getting into another arena (small level, hits can, jumpjet) shooter anytime soon.

You should probably watch some footage of Destiny 1 raids to see if that's more what you're interested in, since they're the pinnacle of D1 PvE content and most likely D2 PvE content as well.

Here's a video of someone soloing some fairly difficulty D1 content if you're interested.

leng jai

Most people don't like the PvP in Destiny, the meat of the game is PvE.

deleted

The ๖ۜBronx;247320002 said:
I'm genuinely not sure if you're trolling or just haven't bothered to look at any of the trailers or threads but no, a strike and a story mission aren't representative of all the SP content there is.

That said, Destiny is definitely at its best with friends, and Wolfenstein is a great SP FPS. If you don't want to use matchmaking or LFG at all in Destiny you will certainly have a lesser experience than otherwise but there's certainly still a lot to do on your own.

What? No, I'm not trolling, that was in response to the level design and lack of interaction with stuff in the level.
I was under the impression that the game has a full aaa single player mode with everything else on top.
This feels very much like a tunnel design so far and I was interested if this was representative of the full game that was conveyed much more open in everything I've seen so far.
But if it's just open for space but not filled with stuff to see and do, it's a disappointment - at least for me.

Meccs

Does no one else think the aiming with the mouse feels weird and clunky. Like there is still some kind of controller settings effecting it?

daxy

Man, sometimes I wonder what would've happened if The Division came out before Destiny. Played the D2 beta, enjoying it immensely, loved watching people do raids in D1 and look forward to doing it myself.

Still think I like the setup of The Division more overall (me, I do, I'm not stating this as objective fact, ya bloodhounds).This is of course just a small slice of D2, but I enjoyed walking around and marveling at The Division's city, getting to know it, doing different missions there, finding all sorts of cleverly hidden areas -- without several team members breathing down my neck that I need to get moving, without always having to shoot dudes. You could dive in and out of combat if you wanted to mess around for a while, very noncommittal. Then there was Last stand, the dank zone, incursions, underground. Good times.

It must be the Dark Souls effect. You like the one you played first best.

DjRalford

Does no one else think the aiming with the mouse feels weird and clunky. Like there is still some kind of controller settings effecting it?

Yeah I'm really struggling to click with it, I'm barely landing shots in crucible, it feels too twitchy and less accurate than UT, a game which I'm fine with, I've even tried it with a controller and it still feels off.

I went back to have a quick game of D1 on my PS4 and it feels so much more accurate but I don't understand why, maybe just familiarity as I spent multiple hundreds of hours on D1

dengatron

Man, sometimes I wonder what would've happened if The Division came out before Destiny. Played the D2 beta, enjoying it immensely, loved watching people do raids in D1 and look forward to doing it myself.

Still think I like the setup of The Division more overall (me, I do, I'm not stating this as objective fact, ya bloodhounds).This is of course just a small slice of D2, but I enjoyed walking around and marveling at The Division's city, getting to know it, doing different missions there, finding all sorts of cleverly hidden areas -- without several team members breathing down my neck that I need to get moving, without always having to shoot dudes. You could dive in and out of combat if you wanted to mess around for a while, very noncommittal. Then there was Last stand, the dank zone, incursions, underground. Good times.

It must be the Dark Souls effect. You like the one you played first best.

did you play any of destiny 1? you'll be able to patrol alone and you can do the entire story solo too. i liked my time with the division but the end game content at launch was dog shit and the first dlc was actually a joke. it was a reasonably fun game but destiny is leagues ahead especially in regards to what you said you enjoyed in the division, imo.

daxy

did you play any of destiny 1? you'll be able to patrol alone and you can do the entire story solo too. i liked my time with the division but the end game content at launch was dog shit and the first dlc was actually a joke. it was a reasonably fun game but destiny is leagues ahead especially in regards to what you said you enjoyed in the division, imo.

I enjoyed my 70-80 hours logged at launch and never really got into endless endgame grind since that's just not really my kind of thing. The patrol part sounds interesting enough and the EDZ is supposed to be a somewhat expansive, so that's what I'm mostly looking forward to.

TitusTroy

I like playing the Hunter class...love the double and triple jumps...dodging is good...and that arc staff super ability is bad-ass...feels like Darth Maul with his dual blade light saber cutting through enemies

DilWSTS

I guess its just a beta and they dont want to reveal anything but im already bored of the enemies :( the start of the strike felt like a destiny 1 strike, glad it mixed it up a bit more.

broony

Played on my MacBook using boot camp. Really surprised at how well it ran. Going to stick with PS4 pro but really impressed with the optimisation of the pc version.

Meccs

Just played the story intro thing with a Titan. Did absolutely nothing for me. It's extremely generic. Tried PvP and again, generic as hell. I did play D1 on the PS4 and wasn't big on it there either so this is expected... Graphics look nice though at it seem very well optimized. I might still get it if they have a sale in half a year or so... maybe. Most likely I'll be over it by then lol
I still think something isn't right with the mouse aiming, it feels so clunky controller-ish.

spuckthew

Can we even send invites to friends yet? Or is everything just randoms?

You can invite friends to your fireteam, or manually join a friend's. Also, from what I could tell, the strike mission is for three people minimum, so if you only buddy up with one friend you will get a random third guy matched with your fireteam.

EDIT: Also, how do I know if my mic is on, on PC. Is there a mute button?

My mic was on by default. I was in Discord with a friend and when I spoke I saw a voice icon appear in the bottom right corner of the screen in game. You can turn voice off or to push-to-talk in the settings.

What's the general consensus on performance?

I've got an i7 6700K and a GTX 1070, both at factory clocks. getting anywhere between sub 30 to 60 frames on 2560x1440, max settings. :/

Haven't gotten the latest drivers tho, so that might help, but I'm a little sad my machine is struggling so much with this game.

Although I'm playing at 1080p, I'm getting 70-90fps on average with my 4670K and GTX1070 (both at stock speeds) on the highest settings. I am also using the latest Nvidia drivers.

I turned anti-aliasing off outright in favour of higher rendering resolution (115-120%) because MSAA tanks fps and I barely noticed any jaggies. Other settings I turned off: chromatic aberration; motion blur; film grain. I also changed SSAO to HDAO.

jaosobno

Is controller a viable option in PvP? I'd like to try it since I see that it features some heavy auto aim, but even with that, am I just going to get slapped around by M/KB players?

Meccs

Is controller a viable option in PvP? I'd like to try it since I see that it features some heavy auto aim, but even with that, am I just going to get slapped around by M/KB players?
Handgun + Controller on PC is pretty much Aim Bot currently...

Lemonte

I guess I'm not playing beta. I get error code spinach after the battle with the bubble boy from the intro cinematic. I don't wanna mess with my firewall to get it to work. Thanks Bungie.

Top Bottom