• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC Beta Thread - Codes are redeemable, preload starts Friday 25th, 10AM PDT

Sygma

Bungie is shitting the bed by allowing aim assist for PvP.

Blizzard tried pulling the same stunt during Overwatch's beta, I hope they advise Bungie to get rid of it here too.

I don't see that stuff in the options, its automatically there when playing with a controller in pvp ?

What the hell is going on with the download speed?

nsObDPi.png

At this rate I won't be able to play it tonight...

I hope they 100% remove aim assist from the game for controllers. It has no place in the game, just like Overwatch.

I would hope you only mean for MP/PVP, half the reason I love PC is being able to use a controller on it while still being able to (In most games) have the magnetism/AA in the game's aiming. I hate using Keyboard and Mouse for 90% of games. I understand taking it out in MP, though I still feel multiplayer games on PC should have some at least in casual modes/playlists. BF1 was the first (I think) DICE game to have it on PC and I was overjoyed since I didn't have to buy the console version in order to play MP and have fun while also playing the best looking/running version of the game.

dacalo

I played the first Destiny on PS4 and I just picked up PC version due to how smoothly it runs on my PC despite the lack of extra goodies exclusive to PS4.

I am playing the beta and I am finding myself enjoying the game a lot more using the Xbox controller lol. I just don't enjoy it with a mouse and a keyboard like I used to back in the day with CS 1.6 and all. Anybody else?

Hoooo boy what a neat game... but the control options suck MASSIVELY.

A heavy amount of actions bound in an uncomfortable manner? Yep.
Rebind-able gamepad controls? No
Multi use keys for 1st/3rd person and vehicles? Sure... for only a few default layout only actions...

So you try to take a load off by using a Playstation Navigation controller+Scp Monitor/XInput and just try to make due around the controller defaults... and then you find out that the game does not support simultaneous M/K+Gamepad... in an MMO shooter. What the fuck???

The only way forward was to use Xpadder (the paid version, thanks Windows 10) to intercept the input calls and add press/hold binds (which adds lag). And that works... about 80% of the time. The other 20% involves Xpadder and the game switch-fucking priority around so your controls become unresponsive until you take a second to force an action by hammering your controls around or standing still (its a toss up).

Continuous combat/action (80%) remains reliable (about 95% yeah awesome videyagames!; 5% OH FUCK, FUCK WORK!). During non combat sections (20%), it'll will toy with your patience (70% brisk walking, running, looking; 30% come on fucker, do the thing!)

You know what game doesn't have most of these problems + no Xpadder required? The 2003 Halo:CE gearbox port, which I have been playing a lot thanks to SPV3. Hmm... quite a high bar there...

Here's this port's #1 problem Bungie/Vicarious Visions! Put in Simultaneous M&K+Gampad, add individual rebind able controller button options, and add in better multi use key/ multi use button options. Not sure I'd be willing to drop $60 otherwise.

4V4 is garbage, 6v6 or i aint buying

You'll probably be waiting till next years Taken King level release then. Doubt they add 6v6 in either of the two small DLCs or in an update. Best that will happen before then is rumble comes back or other modes like 3v3 or a 2v2v2v2 are added.

Pooya

Really disappointed in pvp. Just as I thought I don't like 4v4 and cramped maps much. I played so much crucible in first game, it was like Halo lite with classes and that was good. 6v6 with vehicles, that's bungie multiplayer not this glorified swat mode.

Oscar

its automatically there when playing with a controller in pvp ?
Yes.

Try it yourself, you can feel the reticule lock to the target's head. Anyone can be a god with the hand cannon while using the controller.

PvP in this game will be dead if this is left on. Maybe Bungie can add a playlist for the controller users/with aim assist enabled?

Tovarisc

Really disappointed in pvp. Just as I thought I don't like 4v4 and cramped maps much. I played so much crucible in first game, it was like Halo lite with classes and that was good. 6v6 with vehicles, that's bungie multiplayer not this glorified swat mode.

Desperately trying to force eSports to happen.

Tank Jr.

Neo Member
I went through hell with this during the preload, took me forever to find a fix, and then on the next pause (if I wanted to play Overwatch or something) it would get stuck Initalizing again. On my slow download speeds it was very frustrating.

Eventually the fix that I found reliable in my case was

To go WINDOW KEY + R and type C:programData

Then find the two blizzard related folders (blizzard entertainment and battlenet iirc), and find the cache folders in both of them, and delete the files inside.

That only worked once for me.

First time with Destiny. Liked the dungeon but really didn't understand the systems of the game at first glance. Did I miss it or what do the 3 different weapon types do different from each other? Also really like the recoil of the weapons. They tweaked it just right in my opinion. Is there more to the abilities? Like is the Worlocks grenade just that forever, or can you modify it in the final game and stuff? Another thing I don't get is the air dash thing? What does it do exactly?

Also this game runs so freakin well.

TitusTroy

my impressions as a first time Destiny player (Hunter class)...movement feels so fluid...jumping feels so good...Hand Cannon seems a bit OP...fantastic particle effects...overall game is fun but seems a bit too easy especially since your health seems to regenerate so quick

Pooya

Desperately trying to force eSports to happen.

I don't mind having this as the official pvp mode for ladder, tournaments and such, it makes sense for balance but the appeal of their Halo games was that there were a million different ways to play multiplayer and Destiny 1 was already watered down by a lot and now we've come down to just this. They are just ignoring fun and flashy pvp, that's not good. Crucible in Destiny 1 was unbalanced mess but I didn't care, it was fun to pick up and play a few rounds. The problem is that the esport mode is coming at the expense of what most of playerbase would enjoy.

Tagyhag

Yes.

Try it yourself, you can feel the reticule lock to the target's head. Anyone can be a god with the hand cannon while using the controller.

PvP in this game will be dead if this is left on. Maybe Bungie can add a playlist for the controller users/with aim assist enabled?

Wow I hope they fix that. It was a huge problem in Halo 2 Vista.

KarmaCow

Is there a breakdown of what to expect from the final game in terms of content? I've been looking for something to fill the Payday 2 shaped hole in my life and the strike came close. It's much shallower, more bullet spongey, and the platforming/running gets old real fast but if there was enough variety I could overlook those flaws.

Magnus

Fired up the beta. Went through the intro sequence (to where the Title appears in-game) and am suddenly given a choice of activities with no storyline to guide me to them.

I assumed as a beta, this was the full experience...is this how it's going to be in the actual game? The intro ends with something of a cliffhanger. What happened to my character, and how do these PvE/PvP activities that are available connect to that?

Or is this just a limited preview of some gameplay modes and sequences?

All in all, feels like what I expected. Looks nice on PC (haven't tried the console versions yet). It's nothing to write home about, though....and the art style is super boring to me. Very Halo in how generic and forgettable it all is.

EndersAres

Neo Member
The pve mission was really fun. I wonder if anyone else got tricked by the mystery pad after the second ring jump. I disliked the pvp. It didn't seem like it was any fun at all and intended for a niche crowd. It seems like everyone I know plays for the pve anyways. Good demo for showing that they can do a good pc game.

Trace

Banned
Is there a breakdown of what to expect from the final game in terms of content? I've been looking for something to fill the Payday 2 shaped hole in my life and the strike came close. It's much shallower, more bullet spongey, and the platforming/running gets old real fast but if there was enough variety I could overlook those flaws.

Destiny 1 vanilla had 5 strikes, one raid, and 10 PvP maps, excluding any of the Playstation exclusive content. It also had 36 exotics (again excluding Playstation exclusives). It was plenty of content to last through to the first expansion which came out in December of that year.

Honestly the raid is the big deal, depending on how good that is basically makes or breaks the game PvE wise.

It's looking like Destiny 2 will end up with a similar amount of strike/raid content but a lot more stuff to do outside strikes and raids, with a bigger focus on public events/locations and more story stuff.

TitusTroy

I hope the real game is harder then this beta...the player honestly seems way too OP...has too many skills and weapons...that one 'Super-charge' move where you automatically turn into Darth Maul with your dual edge light saber is cool from a visual standpoint but you're like some God in that mode and can take out like 20 Legendary enemies

SRTtoZ

Wow, absolutely stunning @1080p maxed settings and runs flawlessly. Didn't expect it to look this good after seeing the console screenshots look a lot like D1.

Trace

Banned
I hope the real game is harder then this beta...the player honestly seems way too OP...has too many skills and weapons...that one 'Super-charge' move where you automatically turn into Darth Maul with your dual edge light saber is cool from a visual standpoint but you're like some God in that mode and can take out like 20 Legendary enemies

Default strikes aren't supposed to be tough. In Heroic Nightfall strikes and Raids that "Darth Maul" super will honestly not be usable for anything except dying.

120v

I assumed as a beta, this was the full experience...is this how it's going to be in the actual game? The intro ends with something of a cliffhanger. What happened to my character, and how do these PvE/PvP activities that are available connect to that?

i assume that part will be the game's intro. then you'll wake up or whatever at the new social hub, get the 'yadda yadda go get em, gaurdian' speech and then you can go do whatever

KarmaCow

Destiny 1 vanilla had 5 strikes, one raid, and 10 PvP maps, excluding any of the Playstation exclusive content. It also had 36 exotics (again excluding Playstation exclusives). It was plenty of content to last through to the first expansion which came out in December of that year.

Honestly the raid is the big deal, depending on how good that is basically makes or breaks the game PvE wise.

It's looking like Destiny 2 will end up with a similar amount of strike/raid content but a lot more stuff to do outside strikes and raids, with a bigger focus on public events/locations and more story stuff.

What do the public events entail? I'm not interested in PvP at all, so five strikes and one raid seems way too low.

feel

That only worked once for me.
The other mostly reliable solution was uninstalling blizzard app (the game files don't get deleted), deleting both blizzard folders from C:/programdata, restarting the pc, reinstalling blizzard app. Then I went to install Destiny and chose the folder with previous partial download and it resumed from where it was (maybe a Scan&Repair is needed to just in case).

TitusTroy

one thing I don't understand...in the middle of a mission if I die or quit to Desktop, the next time I start the game up it takes me all the way back to the beginning of the mission...are there no save points?...missions need to be completed before quitting?

Tank Jr.

Neo Member
The other mostly reliable solution was uninstalling blizzard app (the game files don't get deleted), deleting both blizzard folders from C:/programdata, restarting the pc, reinstalling blizzard app. Then I went to install Destiny and chose the folder with previous partial download and it resumed from where it was (maybe a Scan&Repair is needed to just in case).

Seems like you just have to just be lucky and wait for it to continue on its own. I can't risk a restart since I have a tab aside for Humble Bundle.

Oscar

one thing I don't understand...in the middle of a mission if I die or quit to Desktop, the next time I start the game up it takes me all the way back to the beginning of the mission...are there no save points?...missions need to be completed before quitting?

No save points fam.

GReeeeN

I'm fairly sure that's the point of the into sequence, to make you feel OP, because soon after you lose your light and feel considerably under powered without all the abilities, etc. then the rest of the story should be based on gaining ur light back and fighting off Gaul. Also destiny 1 normal missions were fairly simple and not that challenging (not as easy as the beta mission), but the challenge is in heroic difficulty.

TheExodu5

Banned
Not really impressed with the beta. Runs and controls great, but it just feels like it has the shortfalls of Destiny 1.

I know I shouldn't judge from a single boss, but I have a feeling every boss will be the same as Destiny 1: bullet sponges with endless adds. No interesting mechanics in strikes.

feel

Luke Smith if you're reading this, allow me to have "toggle" Aim on sniper rifles and "hold" aim on ADS, at the same time. Also need a Walk key on the keyboard (yes I'm one of those madlads that likes to walk in games sometimes).

PVE is great! PVP not such much.

Love the details in the environment and the world artstyle. Perfect blend of sci-fi and fantasy. Characters and enemies look... meh.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Yes.

That explains a lot. I'm no pro, but I was wondering what the hell was going on when people were taking me down so quickly. :lol

DJ88

Anyone having any issues with the control scheme switching from controller to kb&m randomly?

I've got a DS4 hooked up through Steam and tried turning off all the desktop controller options and turning my kb&m off.
I'll be in the middle of the game and suddenly the right joystick will turn into a mouse aim. Even when moving the cursor around in the menus it'll randomly flip to kb&m

Has anyone run into the issue where selecting 4k (3840 x 2160) isn't an option? Like, it just isn't there? For some reason it doesn't even list it.

spootime

What do you guys think so far? I've never played or really even seen destiny 1 so this is my first experience with the franchise. The single player thing in the beginning was pretty fun. Game looks beautiful and runs really smooth as well. 4v4 PVP felt pretty awful. Slow + floaty + aim down sight feels like ass. Overall I'll wait and see, the single player and coop might be worth the buy.

CHC

Definitely was not a fan of the first game, but credit where it's due, this is pretty fun. The M&K controls are excellent - to the point it makes you wonder how so many other developers manage to mess up the basic feel of their own game. Quite happy with performance as well, looks good at runs quite well.

Nicorasu

Neo Member
Anyone having any issues with the control scheme switching from controller to kb&m randomly?

I've got a DS4 hooked up through Steam and tried turning off all the desktop controller options and turning my kb&m off.
I'll be in the middle of the game and suddenly the right joystick will turn into a mouse aim. Even when moving the cursor around in the menus it'll randomly flip to kb&m

if you have ds4 windows turn that off, the game has antive ds4 support, also it seems youre having some random input in your keyboard.

I'd like to play with a group of gaffers to do the strike for the first time if any one is up for it.

EDIT: Preferably with peeps who haven't done it yet like me. I'd like a friendly group of Gaffers cause I want to explore a bit.

Top Bottom