• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC Beta Thread - Codes are redeemable, preload starts Friday 25th, 10AM PDT

TyrantII

so this is Destiny huh...that PVP is not for me.

the story thing at the start was pretty decent though.

They only give you a few modes.

Vanilla crucible is drop in/out. Iron Banner puts a little more emphasis on gear and load out, but is still casual. Trials of the Nine should be much more competitive and skill based.

It grows on you, especially when running with a good squad.

jeffc919

PC, though I have no hype for the game and haven't even installed the beta. Still burned out on the first game and PUBG consumes all my game time these days. Maybe when D2 releases in a couple months I'll want to make some time for it but that's a big maybe. I really only care about PvP and I have my doubts about the 4 vs 4 format. But I do know that I'm 100% done with 30FPS shooters so I will not play it on console again. Refuse to go back to that after playing so much Titanfall 2 and BF1.

Randdalf

Never really looked at Destiny much before because I couldn't play it.

My impressions
- My god the budget is pouring out of every orifice of this game
- It has a story...? All the characters and concepts seem very abstract
- Wow these are amazing visuals
- Oh it's that part of the AAA game where the big villain puts you down at the start (how many games have done this recently? has this entered trope territory?)
- Time to play PvP... oh hey it's Counter-Strike, and my gun doesn't seem to be doing any damage? Oh well my team stomped, I helped I guess.
- PvE time... Hey this location's art style is based on that metal that forms in weird cube shapes, nice choice art lead
- This game seems very familiar.
- Oh my these gigantic drills are really terrifying, but the movement system feels super clunky when jumping around to dodge them
- Wait I'm a Jedi how did that happen (guess that's what supercharging does?)
- My grenade is on Q and not G... fair enough
- I know why seems feels familiar - it's literally Borderlands
- This robot boss is taking an awfully long time to kill...
- Yay some loot

Overall I enjoyed it. I don't think I'm going to buy it though, I think it's very well made and they obviously poured lots of money into making it. However, the PvP isn't really for me and I have nobody to play the PvE with because they're getting it on consoles. Playing a Borderlands-style game on my own or with randoms isn't really that fun for me.

Also, there's loads of other games coming out that I'd rather get instead.

Gearbox pls make Borderworlds

so this is Destiny huh...that PVP is not for me.

the story thing at the start was pretty decent though.

Seriously, what the hell is going on with the hand cannons? Using anything else feels like a complete waste of time.

PvE is what its for. I enjoyed the search and destroy mode but we either steamroll the enemy or they steamroll us. Not had a balanced match yet at all + fuck hand cannons.

I feel the maps are too small for ulties and rockets and one hit abilities but thats nothing new.

Not to make a wall of quotes, but this is basically my concern with this beta. For me, the draw to Destiny has always been the PvE gameplay and loot grinding. This beta doesn't communicate that at all. Sure the one story mission is fantastic and highlights how exciting some of the campaign missions can be - but... I worry PC players are going to find the one story mission fun, and the strike interesting - but they'll be missing the carrot on the stick which is the rewards from those missions.

Then you're stuck with the PVP, which I've been enjoying but is *really* unbalanced on PC. As quoted above, it's stomp or get stomped. If you are not using a hand cannon you are almost certainly at a disadvantage. And the gear sets seem to have very little impact on play - which again neuters the carrot on the stick of finding new gear.

I'm glad the initial feedback seems to be people just being wowed at the performance and visuals... just hope that carries through to people playing the actual game where there is much more to it than an unbalanced PVP mode.

Meccs

Performance is solid it seems but the aiming with a mouse feels weird. Not really 1:1 movement. Feels very clunky.

deoee

Holy fuck how could I play this game on the fucking PS4 for so long?

Everyone should get this on PC - EVERYONE.

It's a gamechanger.
The fps
the smoothness
the non-laggy pvp
the controls
the sound

RIP free time

Jacqli

The performance is great, I did not think my computer could run it and in medium/low it looks nice enough and smooth.

Buuuut I am not sold on the game at all. It surely will be fun with friends or a clan, but any game is usually more fun that way. And I am mostly interested in the PvE aspect, but I could just buy Borderlands and play it with friends or The Division… I do not see what novelty this game offers so far. I would say that the beta left me with a feeling that the game could become repetitive quickly. And they will release more expansions, so add that to the base price.

On top of that, it is not compatible with Steam Controller, so it was the last nail in the coffin.

Destiny plays virtually nothing like Borderlands other than being a co-op loot shooter. The actual gameplay is way different

Probably why I'm loving it. Even though I put hundreds of hours into Borderlands 2 I never found the gameplay itself very compelling. Destiny feels great thus far.

One thing people need to remember is this Beta is extremely bare bones compared to regular Destiny. No huge open worlds to explore, only 1 strike, and only 1 mission. The actual game itself has waaaay more to offer.

I feel like the PC Beta and the Console Beta should have been different. The PC Beta should have been more similar to D1's Beta / Alpha where you let people level up / explore / gain loot so people could get a feel for the main gameplay loop /hook.

Probably why I'm loving it. Even though I put hundreds of hours into Borderlands 2 I never found the gameplay itself very compelling. Destiny feels great thus far.

I played through this morning again as a Titan and gave the hand cannon a try. I never really used them in D1 on PS4. WOW do they feel great to shoot in PC. Headshots for days!

On another note...

Might be time for someone to make DestinyGAF PC || US 2

If anyone is keen PM me!

WarpathDC

Loving it. Playing it at 4k/60fps and it's a stunner. Very good optimization other than the MSAA. I'm yet to get a LOCKED 60 on an i7-7700k/GTX 1080ti/16gb DDR4 @ 3200. The game's baking in FPS counter with V-SYNC is a little off, it stays at 60 when there is clearly a drop. V-SYNC off and it starts telling the truth. I'm curious to see what settings people with my config are using for a solid 60fps while keeping as much of the ultra spec on as possible. I'm a graphic whore but I need 60fps. Luckily if I use FXAA or SMAA instead of MSAA (overkill in 4k anyways) I'm getting 50-60fps consistently and rarely notice a hitch in the action with V-sync as frame pacing is pretty good. It IS a beta but advertised at 4k/60 locked w/ maxed out settings is a bit of an oversell ATM. Still, I'm loving it.

I'm having massive issues with it though going from my 4k monitor to my 4k HDR tv. HDR doesn't seem to be working in the sense I don't see much difference in the IQ but Windows CU completely killed TV HDR for now, that's another story. The biggest issue is for my TV it is showing the max res of like 1980x1400. WTF? I just went to borderless and was back to enjoying it at 4k.

I'm nitpicking this beta but that's why they do these (and to hook the masses). The story arc at the beginning is amazing. The fidelity, gun play, everything is just spot on. My only concern is the willpower not to buy this on ps4 pro waiting almost two months for it (or on xbox if the X improvements will be greater) but still 30fps is a hard sell.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Looks great, runs great. Not much fun though. Maybe I need to crank the difficulty up.

Is the loot very limited in the beta? Not really getting anything that feels like an upgrade.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fucking moronic decision from the idiots that are Bungie to add time limit to a fucking pvp match that is barely 5 minutes long to begin with. Moronic fucking idiotic shit decision.

3-0 against this shit team, 70-85 in opponents favour. We could easily win if we hold the powerplay for 30 seconds.

OH WAIT, TIME OVER LOL.

Fuck off, the incompetence is strong in this one.

TitusTroy

how are people getting Afterburner to work?...I thought it wasn't compatible?...I tried the latest beta 4.4.0 and it's still not working

Mechazawa

As in file size or screen size?

Screen size. Some of these guns literally take up more than a quarter of the screen.

4xNyCAS.jpg

SliChillax

I enjoyed the story mission and the dig site mission. I have no interested in PvP though, still not sure if I should get it. I don't have friends that play on PC and playing with strangers doesn't sound like too much fun to me.

I enjoyed the story mission and the dig site mission. I have no interested in PvP though, still not sure if I should get it. I don't have friends that play on PC and playing with strangers doesn't sound like too much fun to me.

TBH you can solo a lot of stuff. I did in D1.

Then just matchmake / find people when you want to do bigger activities.

spuckthew

Never played Destiny on console and basically knew nothing about it and its sequel other than that it's some kind of "looter shooter". But I've got to say, I liked what I saw (well - played) a lot.

The opening solo mission chucked me out twice due to some kind of connection issue, but I managed to complete it and unlock the rest of the beta on my third attempt. The next mission made me realise that this game is fundamentally just Borderlands, which is by no means a bad thing.

Performance was rock-solid on the highest preset with a few things turned off (AA and the bottom few options), and I even had headroom to set rendering resolution to 120% with my 4670K (stock) and GTX1070 at 1080p. Frame never dipped below 60fps and fluctuated in in the 70-100fps region depending on the scene. Combat was super smooth and highly responsive.

Overall I really enjoyed my first run. I'll probably give it another go tomorrow and possibly try out the PvP stuff. Will definitely be getting the full game me things!

SliChillax

TBH you can solo a lot of stuff. I did in D1.

Then just matchmake / find people when you want to do bigger activities.

I had to replay the dig site mission 3 times with 3 people to succeed, I wouldn't have had a chance alone. Wasn't there some awesome missions in D1 that required other people to play? I don't enjoy games forcing online play.

deoee

I had to replay the dig site mission 3 times with 3 people to succeed, I wouldn't have had a chance alone. Wasn't there some awesome missions in D1 that required other people to play? I don't enjoy games forcing online play.

This for the most part is a online game

Yeah that is true. You can't do strikes or raids without other people.

But all the campaign and patrols can be done solo.

SliChillax

This for the most part is a online game

I wish the game gave me AI companions when I didn't feel like playing with strangers. What if I can't find players to do Raids? I really enjoyed what I played but I feel like I don't have the "gaming" social life to fully enjoy this.

deoee

I wish the game gave me AI companions when I didn't feel like playing with strangers. What if I can't find players to do Raids? I really enjoyed what I played but I feel like I don't have the "gaming" social life to fully enjoy this.

I highly doubt you won't find anyone in matchmaking.
This game will be played for a long ass time.

Played through the mission, first time Destiny player, it was a lot of fun. But without loot, whats the point in playing? They should have started us lower with worse gear so we know what can drop loot and stuff.

deleted

Runs really nice and I appreciate all the options.

My only two experiences with Destiny or Destiny 2 were short PvP sessions on console at Gamescom. Not ideal.

This feels good, but I'm not sure I understand the actual game appeal.
It's so colorful I'm not entirely sure whats a door and whats just stuff - I'm really tired right now though, so that could also be that.

It's so easy! I died a few times, but always to something environmental or 1hit stuff I didn't know about. The enemies were really butter - I appreciate them not being sponges though.

And then there's the level design - You just have to push forward? There is 0 interaction with your environment? No physics, no stuff laying around to find? No codecs, nothing destructible? I was trying to find some stuff, since I heard it was a loot game, but even if you go out of your way to explore, there is nothing there. All that space and it's completely empty apart from teleporting enemies and one or two mini-scripted events.

Story felt very clichee so far. Why would none of your sensors pick up on that giant fleet approaching until they enter line of sight?

I like the gunplay and the movement so far. Will try PvP and the coop mission tomorrow, but if this is all that Destiny has to offer for SP, I might just play Doom one more time or finally buy Wolfenstein.

Top Bottom