• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 (PC/XB1/PS4, Sep 8) CG reveal trailer, pre-orders, gameplay debut May 18th

psyfi

Banned
60fps would be dope. It was always hard going back and playing Destiny after playing literally every other shooter I've played this gen at 60fps.

PS: I'm picking up Destiny The Complete edition tonight. I figure if I'm gonna complain about the game in this thread I may as well catch up on the new additions. :)

question: is this game going to look and play the best on Scorpio...?
That's up to Bungie.

question: is this game going to look and play the best on Scorpio...?
Among consoles, it should... but probably not. They targeted parity for D1, I wouldn't be surprised if they did it again.

If this comes out before the Scorpio, I can't imagine it'll be a huge priority for them. We'll have to wait and see if the Scorpio is successful.

EL CUCO

I'd take dynamic res at 1080 or above for 60fps any day of the week. Curious to know what Destiny 1 Frame rate would be if it were uncapped, because it's rock solid on PS4 and Xbone.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Haters gonna hate.

cfbfg.gif

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I can't imagine thinking Destiny's movement is "clunky." I play it and think it's fluid and I'm able to do everything I want without issue.
Zoba is probably one of the best destiny pvpers on gaf. He's being sarcastic I hope lol

Edit: he's serious!

Cytezan

I really just cannot wait for this game. September cannot come fast enough!

I enjoyed Destiny for the most part but am really looking forward to a version that's not held back by PS3 and 360 support.

I really hope the PC version works well, as I'd much prefer to play on PC than PS4.

You should show me the path to the summit of whatever mountain you are looking down on everyone from.

I was Top 30 in PvP from June 2014 - June 2015, so I know the mechanics inside and out. But that's irrelevant - I can produce numerical data showing each and every weapon and ability that they slowed down and I can tell you which patch they did it in.

I don't care whether or not anyone still likes the game, but saying that it's not clunky is willful ignorance when the numbers say that it is literally less responsive than it was 3 years ago. I believe those are called alternative facts.

Two Words

A big contributor to Destiny's clunky feeling is the way how the environment impedes your movement. It is just so easy to lose all momentum by bumping into a character or a random piece of geometry.

Dynomutt

A big contributor to Destiny's clunky feeling is the way how the environment impedes your movement. It is just so easy to lose all momentum by bumping into a character or a random piece of geometry.

Or get stuck in the portal during Aetheon!

Remember when you could choose who went in the portal lol!?!?

Can't wait!

Zoba is probably one of the best destiny pvpers on gaf. He's being sarcastic I hope lol

Edit: he's serious!

I'm not trying to be a dick, but even the people still playing the game competitively have commented on how much dumber it's gotten in Bungie's quest for "balance". There was a point where the game was nothing but grenades and melees because players moved too slow to respond with their primaries. The game launched like Melee and got nerfed into Brawl.

I just hope their experiments have led to a stronger vision for the game's sandbox in the sequel. It was bad enough that they couldn't separate PvE and PvP, but now they'll have to worry about PC meta.

I was Top 30 in PvP from June 2014 - June 2015, so I know the mechanics inside and out. But that's irrelevant - I can produce numerical data showing each and every weapon and ability that they slowed down and I can tell you which patch they did it in.

I don't care whether or not anyone still likes the game, but saying that it's not clunky is willful ignorance when the numbers say that it is literally less responsive than it was 3 years ago. I believe those are called alternative facts.

Please provide this numerical data you speak of.

psyfi

Banned
I went to the store and they have 80+ copies of vanilla Destiny for PS4 sitting on the shelves, but only one copy of Destiny: The Complete Edition... for Xbox One. Welp. Guess I'm gonna wait a few days, lol.

hydruxo

Yep totally agreed, Bungie has done a lot in the past 3 years to slow down Destiny's gameplay significantly.
Starting with the increase of the general TTK, especially weapons which are meant for close quarters encounters. Then there's them rewarding long range combat and passivity after having a full year of fast paced combat. The slowing down of abilities' speed or their cooldown time (blink has become the laughing stock), the nerfing of exotic armor pieces which enhance the player's speed (Twilight Garrison, Gravitron Forfeit) and lots of maps are just simply too big for 6v6.

I just hope Bungie has their stuff together for the sequel, I liked Y1 (of course stuff like the Vex Mythoclast, SUROS Regime and the Pocket Infinity needed its nerfs) but all it really needed were some Y2 adjustments.
Their design philosophy of "every weapon needs its time to shine" is horrible, make sure everything is competitive, this meta thing needs to die already.
The bolded is very important, and I hope Bungie realizes that their whole "weapons should have a time to shine, and then go back to irrelevance" thing was a failure. I love the game, but they did an awful job of balancing weapons and never did get it right. I felt that year 1 balance was pretty solid actually, and when they started majorly nerfing hand cannons it fell of a cliff.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but even the people still playing the game competitively have commented on how much dumber it's gotten in Bungie's quest for "balance". There was a point where the game was nothing but grenades and melees because players moved too slow to respond with their primaries. The game launched like Melee and got nerfed into Brawl.

I just hope their experiments have led to a stronger vision for the game's sandbox in the sequel. It was bad enough that they couldn't separate PvE and PvP, but now they'll have to worry about PC meta.
This is my fervent hope. Because if Destiny 2 is a continuation of the current meta and feel of PVP, I probably won't bother. The severe difference in PVP now compared to Year One is scary.

specdot

The bolded is very important, and I hope Bungie realizes that their whole "weapons should have a time to shine, and then go back to irrelevance" thing was a failure. I love the game, but they did an awful job of balancing weapons and never did get it right. I felt that year 1 balance was pretty solid actually, and when they started majorly nerfing hand cannons it fell of a cliff.
What's worse is that they actually brought back Hand Cannons to a respectable place with the recent updates, only to nerf their effective range again with this recent update.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I contribute the game feeling worse because of the connections more than the actual game. Stuff like hitting a button and nothing happening and when you look like you are actually hitting something and you aren't. But Destiny is still the best feeling shooter out there for me. If the game were to ever go 60fps it would be like taking off training weights.

Mindlog

Put the person who designed the final encounter of Fear's Embrace in charge of more encounters.

We need more hard SP content with challenging mechanics and rooms designed around constant movement instead of cowering in a corner.

Yes, I know about the FE entrance. Never used it.

maxiell

Destiny went into development in 2010 and was apparently conceptualized even before that. It was designed to run well on 360/PS3 and I still think it was one of the best looking games on those platforms.

Seven years later I'm sure Bungie has learned a whole lot about what works and what doesn't in this game.

DeaDPo0L84

I will never ever understand how or why people become so hostile towards others for having a different opinion concerning a videogame. Holy fuck its unreal and I feel its been in most recent threads discussing certain games.

With that said, can't wait for Destiny 2.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Lmao, if you want to ignore 3 years of patch notes and developer commentary explicitly stating that they slowed the game down, then that's cool! Bungie games are notorious for having ignorant fanbases, so you'd fit right in.

What an embarrassingly childish post.

I contribute the game feeling worse because of the connections more than the actual game. Stuff like hitting a button and nothing happening and when you look like you are actually hitting something and you aren't. But Destiny is still the best feeling shooter out there for me. If the game were to ever go 60fps it would be like taking off training weights.

This is a good point. The game's netcode seems to have deteriorated. I don't know the appropriate vernacular for this sort of thing, but the netcode has been a constant struggle for the game ever since they changed the way players match one another.

I'm sure there are players that were not affected by those changes, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

What an embarrassingly childish post.

I look forward to seeing how you spin the data to fit your narrow perspective, since you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

WipedOut

yall just coming out of the woodwork here with all these negative comments yet a mass majority of you have never once posted in any of the 44 OT's :brokeback:

After playing on hotel wifi for a week, if you have potato internet you're not going to have a good time. It was like playing a totally different game. Get off the Walmart internet folks.

Agreed. The environment also feels very static and dead. It makes you feel like you're moving through boxes with enemies in it rather than a living, breathing world. Look at a game like Horizon where the illusion is more convincing.

Do you guys think Destiny will have wall ledge climbing? If there is anything about the mobility I would improve it would be that, and maybe a longer slide like Titanfall 2.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
If Pro version was 60FPS then OG version needs to be 60FPS too, meaning graphics cuts so they can double FPS from current 30. Sony doesn't allow Pro owners to have FPS advantage in PvP games.

Beta, around E3.

That can't be their reason.

Titanfall 2 is 60fps across all platforms, and Destiny 1 wasn't​ at the cutting edge of graphics by any stretch. In fact I was comparing textures and enviros, and Wolfenstein TNO pushes around the same level of visuals at 60.

This time there is no PS360 to consider, so the lowest common denominator should provide pretty awesome graphics in their engine's current stage.

This is a good point. The game's netcode seems to have deteriorated. I don't know the appropriate vernacular for this sort of thing, but the netcode has been a constant struggle for the game ever since they changed the way players match one another.

I'm sure there are players that were not affected by those changes, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen
I know that I benefited from the switch to SBMM because I stopped playing guys who got 40 kills in Control but that is probably when Destiny PVP started to feel off.

The various nerfs did not help the matter.

Top Bottom