• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 (PC/XB1/PS4, Sep 8) CG reveal trailer, pre-orders, gameplay debut May 18th

Is there a poll or something somewhere of what gaffers are gonna be on what platforms?

Thinking PC, but if everyone is gonna be on PS4, that'd be a bummer....

Midas

Well, my guess would be that the press will get (or already has) some sort of preview video and factsheet to push live as soon as the Bungie livestream airs. But yeah, some sort or Destiny 2 reveal/countdown through Game Informer or something would be a massive hype-engine.

Exactly. But we'll see, their next cover reveal should be next week.

Midas

Is there a poll or something somewhere of what gaffers are gonna be on what platforms?

I think the GAF community is like 90 percent PS4 now. My non-educated guess is that it'll be like 65 percent PS4, 10 percent Xbone and 25 percent PC on Destiny 2. We'll have to wait and see. :)

I think the GAF community is like 90 percent PS4 now. My non-educated guess is that it'll be like 65 percent PS4, 10 percent Xbone and 25 percent PC on Destiny 2. We'll have to wait and see. :)

Muy interasante....

Well, at least it sounds like (from the last page) people will be playing the PC version at the event, so we'll get a sense (hopefully) if the gfx options are worth the jump to PC. Would think that they wouldn't do a 30 fps console/60 fps PC version split? Seems like 60 would be expected now on all platforms.

Midas

Muy interasante....

Well, at least it sounds like (from the last page) people will be playing the PC version at the event, so we'll get a sense (hopefully) if the gfx options are worth the jump to PC. Would think that they wouldn't do a 30 fps console/60 fps PC version split? Seems like 60 would be expected now on all platforms.

I don't see why they would go for 60 fps on console. The mass market doesn't care, it's that simple and there doesn't seem to be anything indicating that they would. Graphic fidelity is what most people care about.

Lemondish

It'll look so much nicer on my PS4 than it will on my PC, but if the girlfriend wants to play it with me, PC will be worth it.

I actually hope she prefers to just stick with wow and smite, though...

I don't see why they would go for 60 fps on console. The mass market doesn't care, it's that simple and there doesn't seem to be anything indicating that they would. Graphic fidelity is what most people care about.

I mean, we've been on 60 fps for a lot (most?) of the big FPS games for awhile now, right? BF, COD, SWBF etc.

I assumed that was kind of a given....

I certainly didn't mind it (attested by my 200 or w/e hours in Destiny), but I guess that would definitely make my choice if that was the PC/console split.

It'll look so much nicer on my PS4 than it will on my PC, but if the girlfriend wants to play it with me, PC will be worth it.

......huh?

E: ohhhh, i missed the operative my pc part. Assuming you mean you have an older GPU or something?

E2: Forgot Overwatch, as Symbiotx points out.

Symbiotx

lol ok no. That conclusion you've jumped to may be simple, but it's not true.

Just look at Overwatch. It's 60fps and it's one of the most popular games.

Midas

lol ok no. That conclusion you've jumped to may be simple, but it's not true.

Just look at Overwatch. It's 60fps and it's one of the most popular games.

I don't understand this. I did not say that people would complain if a game is 60 fps. :lol

Lemondish

I mean, we've been on 60 fps for a lot (most?) of the big FPS games for awhile now, right? BF, COD, SWBF etc.

I assumed that was kind of a given....

I certainly didn't mind it (attested by my 200 or w/e hours in Destiny), but I guess that would definitely make my choice if that was the PC/console split.

......huh?

E: ohhhh, i missed the operative my pc part. Assuming you mean you have an older GPU or something?

E2: Forgot Overwatch, as Symbiotx points out.

Yeah, but I also have a PS4 Pro. If I were to upgrade my GPU I doubt it would help cuz my CPU is crap. Lots of money for few benefits (again, just for me).

Someday I'll get real into cutting edge of PC gaming, but all I play is CSGO, WoW, GW2, and Smite.

Yeah, but I also have a PS4 Pro. If I were to upgrade my GPU I doubt it would help cuz my CPU is crap. Lots of money for few benefits (again, just for me).

Someday I'll get real into cutting edge of PC gaming, but all I play is CSGO, WoW, GW2, and Smite.

Ahhhh, I hadn't even contemplated Pro support (i have one too).

Suppose we don't have a track record for Bungie Pro support, so who knows what that'll look like.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I keep going back and forth on if I think it could happen. On one hand Destiny feels better than most FPS at 30fps and has large enemy counts plus areas are likely to be larger in 2. On the other, most major FPS have made the jump to 60 and it would make a huge difference in Crucible.

Personally I would love it to be 60 but I think I want an FoV slider on console more. Give me both and I'll love you forever, Bungie.

Somewhat related, is it really that much to ask to have an account that ties across platforms? Is there some kind of huge roadblock to that existing.

I'd probably double dip too if I knew it meant being able to keep all my gear across multiple platforms.

Midas

I keep going back and forth on if I think it could happen. On one hand Destiny feels better than most FPS at 30fps and has large enemy counts plus areas are likely to be larger in 2. On the other, most major FPS have made the jump to 60 and it would make a huge difference in Crucible.

Personally I would love it to be 60 but I think I want an FoV slider on console more. Give me both and I'll love you forever, Bungie.

Yeah, I could see them going for 30 fps in PvE and 60 for PvP. We'll know in less than three weeks. :)

Midas

Somewhat related, is it really that much to ask to have an account that ties across platforms? Is there some kind of huge roadblock to that existing.

I'd probably double dip too if I knew it meant being able to keep all my gear across multiple platforms.

Technically, it's a non issue. It's just that platform holders doesn't want it. Maybe that should be singular as in Sony in this case, and I would understand them.

Midas

Weird logic. Esp since so many games do the "Sony console exclusive but also on PC" thing.

Well, Sony wouldn't want their users to switch platform now, would they? Being able to use your Bungie account for PC and PS4 would be a different story - I was thinking about using the same account for PS4 and Xbone.

There are games for both Xbox and Sony systems that cross platform with PC and there are games that don't.

It's not so simple as "platform companies don't want it" as much as the issue with parity and competitiveness, especially in PvP modes.

M/KB for standard shooters would dominate against controllers. The level of accuracy and speed in aiming just can't be matched with joysticks.

Now if we're just talking about account data applying across all platforms without legitimate cross-platform gameplay, then who knows what the technical difficulty may be. But I imagine that, since character data is usually stored server side, that it would require an actual transfer from one platforms servers to another.

Midas

There are games for both Xbox and Sony systems that cross platform with PC and there are games that don't.

It's not so simple as "platform companies don't want it" as much as the issue with parity and competitiveness, especially in PvP modes.

M/KB for standard shooters would dominate against controllers. The level of accuracy and speed in aiming just can't be matched with joysticks.

Now if we're just talking about account data applying across all platforms without legitimate cross-platform gameplay, then who knows what the technical difficulty may be. But I imagine that, since character data is usually stored server side, that it would require an actual transfer from one platforms servers to another.

I wasn't talking about cross-platform gameplay. Yes, character data is stored server side here, and who knows, maybe it's even stored on the same servers with different flags depending on platform? I don't know what Bungie's technical infrastructure works. But it's not in anyway a _big_ technical hurdle. Working with their API, when fetching character data etc, it's just a difference between a 1 and a 2 in the API calls.

Technically, it's a non issue. It's just that platform holders doesn't want it. Maybe that should be singular as in Sony in this case, and I would understand them.

I don't think it's a non issue at all. You sign in with different accounts on both systems. Which means in it's current form, the only way it could work is by letting you sign into your psn account on Xbox, or vice versa. The authentication for the server is your PSN/Xlive id, and password. They'd have to redesign the system to have a master login and username system that could cross, which seems like way more work than just using the systems already in place. I don't think it has anything to do with the specific platform holders.

Carn82

I wasn't talking about cross-platform gameplay. Yes, character data is stored server side here, and who knows, maybe it's even stored on the same servers with different flags depending on platform? I don't know what Bungie's technical infrastructure works. But it's not in anyway a _big_ technical hurdle. Working with their API, when fetching character data etc, it's just a difference between a 1 and a 2 in the API calls.

I remember reading somewhere that their D1 backend is largely platform agnostic, I'll try to find the specific article.

Edit:

For us, [platforms] are purely agnostic,” he said. “Any data on our back-end servers and services, like Bungie.net, are ours. We control it, we can do a bunch of fun stuff on that side. So for us, we want to absolutely do the right things for players. But there are some complexities we have to solve that are outside our control. But we’re absolutely pushing to solve some of those things. We don’t have anything to announce, but hopefully in the future we will

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/23/destiny-could-get-pc-version-cross-platform-saves

DocSeuss

I don't think it's a non issue at all. You sign in with different accounts on both systems. Which means in it's current form, the only way it could work is by letting you sign into your psn account on Xbox, or vice versa. The authentication for the server is your PSN/Xlive id, and password. They'd have to redesign the system to have a master login and username system that could cross, which seems like way more work than just using the systems already in place. I don't think it has anything to do with the specific platform holders.

I mean, you can sign in to your bungie account on their website using either PSN or XBL. I sign in with XBL to my bungie account all the time, yet my Destiny progress is all on PS4. And I use Destiny Inventory Manager, a chrome plugin, to move my items around all the time.

So I mean... unless I'm mistaken, and it's possible I am since this isn't my area of expertise... I'm already doing exactly what you describe?

I'm signing into bungie.net, with my xbox account info, and using a chrome web plugin to manage my PS4 inventory. This is because I have linked my Xbox and PS4 accounts to bungie.net, which is what actually manages Destiny's inventory.

I mean, you can sign in to your bungie account on their website using either PSN or XBL. I sign in with XBL to my bungie account all the time, yet my Destiny progress is all on PS4. And I use Destiny Inventory Manager, a chrome plugin, to move my items around all the time.

So I mean... unless I'm mistaken, and it's possible I am since this isn't my area of expertise... I'm already doing exactly what you describe?

That's signing into Bungie through the website which authenticates through the respective console's account system. He's describing a situation where, for example, You would be signed into XBL on the console, then authenticate through Bungie which then has to authenticate through PSN. Or vice versa.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, the Master Account would be different process. You'd be signed into XBL on the console then log into a Master Account which doesn't require console authentication at all. If I'm not mistaken FFXIV does something like this. And it's servers are all cross-platform play. Not just sharing account info.

Well, Sony wouldn't want their users to switch platform now, would they? Being able to use your Bungie account for PC and PS4 would be a different story - I was thinking about using the same account for PS4 and Xbone.
I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that there'll be character transfers between PC and Xbox. Not sure about PS4 and PC, or Xbox and PS4 though.

Midas

Yes, but I can sign in with my PSN account on websites, right? To validate yourself. Do you really think that Sony would like the idea of me leaving their ecosystem for Xbox Live, because it was so easy for me to play with my same character on Xbone? I'm grasping here, but you get what I'm trying to say.

Carn82

Created a countdown; should be correct I hope..

a4OpBvdmU1KtNw

plain text:
May 18th:
West Coast US: 10am (PDT)
East Coast US: 1pm (EDT)
UK: 6pm (BST)
Europe: 7pm (CEST)

everyer

Buy your girl a ps4, take her to play D2, overcooked, D:OS EE and zombie vikings!

Top Bottom