• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Gameplay Leaks [Update: Luke from Bungie comments, read post 1557]

KdMgMan

Storytelling and potential lore already seems better than Borderlands 1 and 2 combined. There is nothing worthwhile beyond the gameplay. Can't say they're visually pleasing either. They almost look as bad as Telltale games.

Hmmm I wouldn't judge the graphics based on a shitting streamed video uploaded on YouTube.

WinFonda

lol Dinklage sounds reaaaally flat, at times like he has no idea what he's talking about.

voice director prob didn't have the balls (or budget) to ask for redos.

excowboy

You don't want to know when the enemy is about dead? I personally like it as you won't have to waste an expensive round on killing a guy with like 5 hp. Or are you looking for more visual cues? Like the enemy slumping to the ground but still firing.

I also don't like the numbers, and while something visual would be good for bosses I'm pretty sure you'd get to 'feel' when more regularly enemies are done, like you do in other games.

On my phone and can't watch atm. Abundant comparisons to Snorederlands pretty much is the last nail in the coffin for me on this project. These vids will probably be dead by the time I can get to a computer anyways.

Edit: oh, they're already dead, welp

fedexpeon

Banned
I was falling asleep from the lack of music, and horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible voice acting from Peter Dinklage.

Yes that many Rs.

Man...The Ghost is putting me to sleep with its monotone.
Should just fire him, and redo the whole VA for the Ghost.
That thing is your companion for goodness sake, or at least do a DLC for a new VA.
Yeah, I would pay Bungie AGAIN to let me select a different voice.

belushy

Banned
I don't know about "GAF" but the people in this thread sure are salty for reasons I don't understand or agree with.

Salty? Really? So because people have a different opinion then yours, and don't like what they see from the game means they are salty? Salty about what exactly?

Crosseyes

Banned
Man I hope he is playing on easy, because those enemies are brain dead and there are very few in each encounter...
Well with the exception of the opening of the first one he was playing in free roam mode between missions in mostly low level areas (he was fighting level 3 enemies most of the time in likely the friendliest open world map of the game)

Those dudes he came across in the sewers had levels in the double digits and were about to fuck him up with their much more advanced weaponry than anything in any of those videos if he hadn't gotten the hell out of there.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I came for the Destiny footage, stayed for the awkward voice acting.

dreamfall

Whoa GONE.

Just watched the first...

Borderlands-esque? The first 5 minutes looked pretty tame/drab, but the second half in the snow looked a lot more open and fun!

Vire

The world just seems so lifeless with not much going on.

Huge environments with intermittent enemies scattered about, nothing to do in between.

Crosseyes

Banned
Whoa GONE.

Just watched the first...

Borderlands-esque? The first 5 minutes looked pretty tame/drab, but the second half in the snow looked a lot more open and fun!
2nd one was the best, just wandering around free roam between missions. He met another player or two in the alpha and while snooping around some underground areas found a couple chests, then in another one exploring came across some enemies he wasn't damaging at all at his current level and had to GTFO in a hurry.

I was falling asleep from the lack of music, and horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible voice acting from Peter Dinklage.

Yes that many Rs.

Man...The Ghost is putting me to sleep with its monotone.
Should just fire him, and redo the whole VA for the Ghost.
That thing is your companion for goodness sake, or at least do a DLC for a new VA.
Yeah, I would pay Bungie AGAIN to let me select a different voice.

I don't think Peter Dinklage is that great of an actor in general, he just has his moments in Game of Thrones. His voice acting here is pretty bad.

I actually really like the numbers and bars and all that shiz. It's the RPGness that attracts me to this, not the generic first person shooting. It's why I liked Borderlands a lot.

I think those who don't like these elements are going to have to look else where. It's not like there's a shortage of FPS's. If its Halo you want, then they are still full steam ahead making those as well.

Unlike other fps games that are available this generation I expect Destiny to have legs to stand on.

Groundbreaking? No.

But imagine a Skyrim sized world with this gameplay and aliens. Oh yes. Still day one.

blamite

Looks okay. Dinklage sounds fine to me, not super exciting but he's basically the male Cortana so whatever.

I wish the guy would've tried firing without ADS since how necessary that is is one of my biggest concerns at this point.

I assume someone else grabbed the videos already but I think I could capture them if not?

Kelsey

Banned
As someone that has already pre-ordered the digital version on SEN, I'm unimpressed. All three of those videos were the very definition of bland. It was like Borderlands with all the life and fun sucked right out of it. I did like how clean the skills menus were though.

I could only see the first video and my hype remains the same. I wish it was being released during the summer. I have more free time now than I will in September : I guess I'll have to schedule time.

Top Bottom