• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Gameplay Leaks [Update: Luke from Bungie comments, read post 1557]

Big shot out for Luke.
Thank you for the post. Some of these flippant gaffers are comical with their input on your game.
It's bungle for Christ sakes.

I've been cautiously interested thanks in part to decent pre-order deals and in part because of the footage in the OP. So if I understand Luke Smith properly (btw thanks for posting Luke!), it's got Borderlands elements to it (in that it's a largely quest-driven, open-world campaign that's well suited to co-op but also supports solo play), but with random drop-in co-op events as well? Like, between missions you could run into a public event and suddenly you've got a bunch of other people in your game fighting alongside you? Or you could get a signal that a fireteam mission is nearby and when you accept, you immediately get matched up with two other people to do something (like Watch Dogs' online stuff)?

Could be neat, especially if you can opt-out of PvP/invasion-style gameplay and have it all be co-operative only. One of the things that always bothered me a little about Borderlands was that feeling that I had to either commit to playing co-op with friends or play solo, and if I didn't have any friends playing Borderlands I'd have to take my chances with pub players (cue online voice chat horrorshow) or stick to solo only.

soultron

Banned
Embarrassing as all hell that someone else in the industry (even if he's only a graphic designer) would leak alpha gameplay of someone else's game. FFS.

Kssio_Aug

There's a lot of confusion here, and we haven't done the best job ever of explaining the game or its structure.

I'm Luke, and I'm one of the lead designers on Destiny.

First, Destiny is structured into Activities.

We've attempted to build a suite of activities that can suit a variety of moods (I want something challenging! I want to chill out with my friends! I want to see where the story goes next! I want to shoot other players!, I want the game to be a cruel dominatrix! et cetera)

These activities come in a bunch of flavors:
  • Story missions - soloable activities (you can still play them in groups of up to 3!), often with ties to the main story arc of Destiny (the campaign). These activities appear at various Levels (numerical, relative to the player) and choosing a higher level (relative to you) means you're opting in for some additional challenge.
  • Strikes - 3 player activities, with bosses and loot at the end. Their goal is a highly replayable activity that will - at higher levels - lead you into the loot game.
  • Explore - cruise around the surface of a planet in Fireteams of up to 3, taking odd jobs and tasks for the City. You can find minerals and resources out in the world that you'll have some use for as you find weapons in Destiny that you want to stick with. This is a lower intensity activity
  • Raids - 6 player, cooperative required, communication required gameplay. High challenge. We haven't talked much about this yet and I'm not going start that conversation here on NeoGAF
  • Multiplayer This is for the "shoot other players" mood.

Now, the second part is how the world has been built.

We've structured Destiny's world to have places where you will probably intersect with other players, and places where you won't. We're not going to have players drop into the climax of a mission, but the common landing zones for a given planet? That seems like a great place to see other players running amok in the world.

EDIT: Regardless of what activity you're playing (PVP aside), you'll see players on their own activities, i.e., players beginning a Strike might see a guy collecting Relic Iron on Mars, and a Public Event begins and suddenly everyone is distracted to take down a key Cabal target for a chance at powerful gear and materials to upgrade your best weapons and armor.

A bunch of folks are playing the Alpha now and we're already seeing all kinds of opportunities for places to improve Destiny. I have no doubt that in the Public Beta, we will learn even more from your feedback and experiences.

I'm not going to get into any of the recurring activities or gearing or class stuff today, but I imagine we'll start to try and explain stuff more soon.

Thanks for the clarification! It doesnt seems too far from what I was expecting, and Im definitely looking up for this game!

sun-drop

The story mission structure does sound very much like borderlands though... Numerical level based.

I hope that doesn't have the same problems... Ie being able to jump into a game and miss massive chunks of the storyline because the dudes yr playing with are over powered in comparison to you..

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, glad Luke came in here and posted that extra stuff.

I'm still hyped, but you guys have kinda done a poor job showing off this game.

RdN

Something interesting...

I've just listened to the Podcast Major Nelson just posted, in which he talks with Phil Spencer. Link: http://majornelson.com/cast/2014/06/08/phil-spencer-on-the-eve-of-e3-2014/

There's a part where they are talking about the recent changes to the Xbox One SDK, which makes the Kinect reservation available to devs.

Now here's the interesting part: Phil mentions that he's been going to Bungie studios a lot lately, and that Bungie is actually using the recent changes to the SDK to up Destiny's resolution on Xbox One.

So, we now know that Destiny currently doesn't at 1080p on Xbox One. Yeah, I know, big surprise. But anyway, let's see what resolution they'll end up with.

MMaRsu

Banned
Something interesting...

I've just listened to the Podcast Major Nelson just posted, in which he talks with Phil Spencer. Link: http://majornelson.com/cast/2014/06/08/phil-spencer-on-the-eve-of-e3-2014/

There's a part where they are talking about the recent changes to the Xbox One SDK, which makes the Kinect reservation available to devs.

Now here's the interesting part: Phil mentions that he's been going to Bungie studios a lot lately, and that Bungie is actually using the recent changes to the SDK to up Destiny's resolution on Xbox One.

So, we now know that Destiny currently doesn't at 1080p on Xbox One. Yeah, I know, big surprise. But anyway, let's see what resolution they'll end up with.

Still no 1108p I bet

I've been cautiously interested thanks in part to decent pre-order deals and in part because of the footage in the OP. So if I understand Luke Smith properly (btw thanks for posting Luke!), it's got Borderlands elements to it (in that it's a largely quest-driven, open-world campaign that's well suited to co-op but also supports solo play), but with random drop-in co-op events as well? Like, between missions you could run into a public event and suddenly you've got a bunch of other people in your game fighting alongside you? Or you could get a signal that a fireteam mission is nearby and when you accept, you immediately get matched up with two other people to do something (like Watch Dogs' online stuff)?

Could be neat, especially if you can opt-out of PvP/invasion-style gameplay and have it all be co-operative only. One of the things that always bothered me a little about Borderlands was that feeling that I had to either commit to playing co-op with friends or play solo, and if I didn't have any friends playing Borderlands I'd have to take my chances with pub players (cue online voice chat horrorshow) or stick to solo only.
I vastly prefer cooperative MP to PVP, mostly because it's pretty miserable getting your ass repeatedly handed to you by hidden assailants while you're just trying to learn the game.

nillapuddin

So I pretty much exclusively game with a group of 6, does that mean we will have to splinter off to 100% the game, or can we pair our 3 person fireteams together always?

ryan299

Somebody from Bungie has posted in every thread about Destiny on gaf, trying to clear up the game. This game's marketing has been awful. They really need to show something new and bold tomorrow.

Somebody from Bungie has posted in every thread about Destiny on gaf, trying to clear up the game. This game's marketing has been awful. They really need to show something new and bold tomorrow.

Probably too late for that, but im still interested in this game and have always been. Thanks for clearing this up for people who were on the fence.

There's a lot of confusion here, and we haven't done the best job ever of explaining the game or its structure.

We've attempted to build a suite of activities that can suit a variety of moods (I want something challenging! I want to chill out with my friends! I want to see where the story goes next! I want to shoot other players!, I want the game to be a cruel dominatrix! et cetera)

• Story missions - soloable activities (you can still play them in groups of up to 3!), often with ties to the main story arc of Destiny (the campaign). These activities appear at various Levels (numerical, relative to the player) and choosing a higher level (relative to you) means you're opting in for some additional challenge.
  • Strikes - 3 player activities, with bosses and loot at the end. Their goal is a highly replayable activity that will - at higher levels - lead you into the loot game.
  • Explore - cruise around the surface of a planet in Fireteams of up to 3, taking odd jobs and tasks for the City. You can find minerals and resources out in the world that you'll have some use for as you find weapons in Destiny that you want to stick with. This is a lower intensity activity
  • Raids - 6 player, cooperative required, communication required gameplay. High challenge. We haven't talked much about this yet and I'm not going start that conversation here on NeoGAF

We've structured Destiny's world to have places where you will probably intersect with other players, and places where you won't. We're not going to have players drop into the climax of a mission, but the common landing zones for a given planet? That seems like a great place to see other players running amok in the world.

EDIT: Regardless of what activity you're playing (PVP aside), you'll see players on their own activities, i.e., players beginning a Strike might see a guy collecting Relic Iron on Mars, and a Public Event begins and suddenly everyone is distracted to take down a key Cabal target for a chance at powerful gear and materials to upgrade your best weapons and armor.

A bunch of folks are playing the Alpha now and we're already seeing all kinds of opportunities for places to improve Destiny. I have no doubt that in the Public Beta, we will learn even more from your feedback and experiences.

I'm not going to get into any of the recurring activities or gearing or class stuff today, but I imagine we'll start to try and explain stuff more soon.

My god. All of that stuff sounds fucking awesome.

I had no idea about the Raids. That sounds fucking amazing.

Future

Why are so many people hating on the damage numbers flying around. Looks satisfying to see stronger guns do higher numbers, and emphasizes weak spots versus hitting armor. This game is about grinding loot and getting better equipment like a diablo or borderlands. Not feel immersed in a cinematic experience like last of us.

Trickster

Why are so many people hating on the damage numbers flying around. Looks satisfying to see stronger guns do higher numbers, and emphasizes weak spots versus hitting armor. This game is about grinding loot and getting better equipment like a diablo or borderlands. Not feel immersed in a cinematic experience like last of us.

I 100% disagree with that statement. Destiny looks exactly like the kind of game where you want to get immersed in the universe. I can't tell you how much I want to just walk across the surface of the moon and explore old moonbases, while starring up into the sky and seeing the Earth suspended.

That said, I would be mighty surprised if there isn't an option to turn those dmg numbers of. Edit - in fact, there weren't any dmg numbers in last years E3 demo

Lasty95

The story mission structure does sound very much like borderlands though... Numerical level based.

I hope that doesn't have the same problems... Ie being able to jump into a game and miss massive chunks of the storyline because the dudes yr playing with are over powered in comparison to you..

What Luke didn't really mention in his post is the actual Halo-esq campaign missions, which is a separate thing again.

The story activities he talks about above, which you unlock at various levels, are in addition to this.

Ah, the confusion continues.

I'm really not liking the numbers. Seems very weird to me and very 'videogamy'. BL pulled it off because its wears its silliness on its sleeve, but just doesn't fit here to my mind.

Immersion is what I think they're going for here above all else. The numbers thing jars a bit (as does the dance numbers).

Future

I 100% disagree with that statement. Destiny looks exactly like the kind of game where you want to get immersed in the universe. I can't tell you how much I want to just walk across the surface of the moon and explore old moonbases, while starring up into the sky and seeing the Earth suspended.

That said, I would be mighty surprised if there isn't an option to turn those dmg numbers of. Edit - in fact, there weren't any dmg numbers in last years E3 demo

Eh, to each is own. By far it feels like the driving force of pretty much everything this game is the loot. I suppose some could ignore that. But when you encounter enemies that you can't win against because they are higher level than you and you just can't output enough damage then you are going to be wishing for those numbers and lifebars really quick :p

Trickster

Eh, to each is own. By far it feels like the driving force of pretty much everything this game is the loot. I suppose some could ignore that. But when you encounter enemies that you can't win against because they are higher level than you and you just can't output enough damage then you are going to be wishing for those numbers and lifebars really quick :p

Being immersive and loot/stat based aren't mutually exclusive though. Skyrim is the most immersive game I've ever played, and it revolves pretty heavily around items and skills as well.

IKizzLE

If Neogaf needs clarification on what your game is, then I can guarantee you that the general public don't have a fuckin' clue.

Atrocious marketing. Until I see an in depth video or play the game, I'm imagining Borderlands 2 in my head.

The info that Luke posted was so easy to understand.

It's astonishing that none of those vidoes their PR team produced or any gameplay we've seen communicated his descriptions of the types of modes better. Thanks. Helps clear a lot up.

What we've got here is...successful communication.

Luke saying what Bungie should have been saying from the get go. Thx Luke.

They have been saying it though, I knew all that Luke just said and I've not been following the game religiously.

It's bungle for Christ sakes.

Let's hope not!

Bungle-Rainbow-psd35257.png

This sounds amazing. Love the ideas

Nokterian

this. why didnt they make a vidoc that explains all this? activisions marketing team seems to think that destiny is going to sell itself.

That's what i said a few pages back. There PR and Marketing for this game is just beyond horrible to say the least. It never explained what this game really is or what it is for or for who want to play it. After the reveal it's all vague and now if they want to gain new fans for a proper wording here they need to do that outside of gaf also and make a video what it really means what destiny is what luke said.

JimiNutz

Banned
The more I hear about this the more I think that it just isn't a game for me.
I wonder how many ex Halo players are going to enjoy this new series.

I think I still owe it to Bungie to give this ago, especially if it unanimously reviews well, I think I'll just avoid reading too much about the game until then.

RulkezX

That sounds like a game I really want to play.

Seeing it laid out like that has done more for my interest than the last year of videos.

The concern you're expressing seems to be whether or not Bungie can deliver, however, what Luke did was attempt to clarify the question of "What is Destiny?" that many have been constantly asking. That is what people are reacting to.

So while your (and others) concerns about Bungie's ability to deliver may not have been addressed, the positive reactions to Luke's post are perfectly valid for those posters.

That's not really much different from what I said. Bungie's been saying what Destiny is [supposed to be] for a while now. It just hasn't really been properly showcased in any gameplay.

HanselBot

Banned
Yeah, this footage is probably some of the worst footage to have leaked, simply because the player doesn't have a very interesting playstyle. He uses ADS religiously, he doesn't explore anything, he almost never jumps (that may be the rampant hopper in me though), and he doesn't employ much skill either.

I'm not sure how shooting from the hip and jumping around like an idiot (for no reason) makes things interesting. That would just be dumb more than anything.

It's an Alpha, and he clearly hasn't been playing it for weeks. Lower your standards already.

Top Bottom