• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Thread: Impressions from the wild [Code Begging=ban]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvel

could never
Well, DestinyGAF, I *was* going to come home and see if the Alpha was still online, but I got to my apartment to find that I had been robbed. They stole my Xbox One and PS4.

Police have been called; a report has been filed.

:|

That is just terrible, I am sorry to hear of that :( at least you're ok that's the main thing.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Well, DestinyGAF, I *was* going to come home and see if the Alpha was still online, but I got to my apartment to find that I had been robbed. They stole my Xbox One and PS4.

Shit, that really sucks, Dax. Sorry to hear that. :(

Oh shit, that sucks Dax. Hope the cops can find the thieves and you get your stuff back. Change your account passwords if you haven't already!

Pastry

Banned

That really sucks, do you have renters insurance?

Trojan

I do the old

- Send screenshot as attachment to other PSN account
- Download screenshots
- Upload to dropbox

For the love of god Sony, just let us upload directly to dropbox/imgur/etc!

Didn't realize you could do this, I'm going to use that method from now on. But seriously Sony, this is totally back asswards, don't pigeon-hold us to Facebook or Twitter.

Having experienced the same thing during the PS3 days, if you paid for those systems with a credit/debit card then you may have a 90-180 day guarantee on those purchases. Call your credit card/debit card company and find out what their theft program is like.

If you paid cash/got it as a gift or something like that then what a total bummer, duder.

Trojan

:( that's awful! Hopefully you have insurance that can recoup those costs.

Voror

Sorry to hear about that Dax. :(

So, do we know how much longer it's supposed to be running?

Also, what is the deal with clans?

Shadownet

Banned

Im so sorry man. We're all praying for you, hope they find who did it and you can get your stuff back.

Raptor

God damn this is horrible, sorry to hear that, I have been robbed twice like this, and is really awfull, it depressed me for weeks.

:(

NoTacos

Sorry to hear about that Dax. :(

So, do we know how much longer it's supposed to be running?

Also, what is the deal with clans?

Running as long as Bungie needs it to, they're using it to test what causes disconnects and other errors.

Same as clans in other games, groups of friends or people who like playing together, possibly help with fireteam matchmaking up for missions. Won't know more for sure till beta.

Yeah that can't be right at all. One story mission, 1 strike, one mode of MP on one map (I think) and not even all of Old Russia. Even if this represented 5% of the game I'd be disappointed.

Yeah, I was probably hoping for a bit closer to 5%, but the game's gonna be enormous regardless. So stoked.

https://twitter.com/EvanNikolich/status/478217469023100930
Found this for the people who needed some clarification.

In one of his responses, he mentions that there's tons more content because people haven't even set foot on the Moon, Mars, or Venus in the alpha. I thought I read somewhere about Jupiter being in the game too. Maybe it's just mentioned as part of the lore and it'll be explorable in Destiny 2 or Destiny DLC? I'd love to explore Jupiter :p One of the most interesting planets.

Different content and improved IQ. Hype level rising (even further).

Improved IQ? Where was that mentioned (just curious)? It already looked great to me on PS4. Looked like 1080p to me already, but maybe it was only 900p?

Thank you for all the well wishes, everyone!
Holy Crap that sucks. You just got that PS4 recently too.
I know! I bought that PS4 early because of Destiny.
Damn that sucks. Where do you live? City? Burbs?
The outskirts of the city. I live right next to a college campus in Wilmington, NC.
Is there any way to report this to microsoft/sony so they can lock out the consoles via serial number?
I have no idea. Might be worth pursuing.
That truly sucks!! I'm really sorry. Aren't you the second person between this and last week to say this happened to them?
Maybe! I don't remember reading anything about it on NeoGAF.
Oh shit, that sucks Dax. Hope the cops can find the thieves and you get your stuff back. Change your account passwords if you haven't already!
Good idea! I hadn't thought of that.
Having experienced the same thing during the PS3 days, if you paid for those systems with a credit/debit card then you may have a 90-180 day guarantee on those purchases. Call your credit card/debit card company and find out what their theft program is like.

If you paid cash/got it as a gift or something like that then what a total bummer, duder.
Pretty sure I put the PS4 on my credit card. I hadn't thought of this, thanks.
:( that's awful! Hopefully you have insurance that can recoup those costs.
I do! I have renter's insurance.
Im so sorry man. We're all praying for you, hope they find who did it and you can get your stuff back.
Girl.

=)

NoTacos

Yeah, I was probably hoping for a bit closer to 5%, but the game's gonna be enormous regardless. So stoked.

In one of his responses, he mentions that there's tons more content because people haven't even set foot on the Moon, Mars, or Venus in the alpha. I thought I read somewhere about Jupiter being in the game too. Maybe it's just mentioned as part of the lore and it'll be explorable in Destiny 2 or Destiny DLC? I'd love to explore Jupiter :p One of the most interesting planets.

Improved IQ? Where was that mentioned (just curious)? It already looked great to me on PS4. Looked like 1080p to me already, but maybe it was only 900p?

Jupiter is a gas giant, isn't it? There'd be nowhere to land/walk, unless they make the moons of Jupiter playable.

The AI IQ is plenty fine in my opinion, especially the bosses as they constantly change position to get a better angle to kill you. Only bad part is area restriction as enemies spawned in certain areas cant follow you past a certain point, which is really a minor annoyance if anything.

Totally not down with the constant respawns though, enemies pop out of nowhere when they should at least come from dropships but that may change so again, minor annoyance.

J-Rzez

Damn Dax... really sorry to hear that. If you got insurance it might be time to get yourself some Glacier White PS4 action if you can hold out.

I'm glad to hear they're going to have an even better looking version for us to see. Bungie was one of my favorite devs. They were like Blizzard that in their gameplay and quality were top notch, but lacked visual-chops and their games were pretty meh visually. But unlike Blizzard, they evolved and made a great looking game in Alpha even!

Can't wait, from what I played it checked a lot of boxes I was hoping for in a MMOFPS. I have some balance and content concerns, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here.

majik13

You can't; at least, you only do insignificant "1, 1, 1, 1" damage. You'll have to be at a level much higher than the cap to tangle with them. A lot of those "???" enemies are lvl. 20.

I think with the ?? enemeies you cant do any damage actually, they are invincible at that level. High levels that you can actually see, will do the 1,1,1,1 damage though, depending on variables.

Boke1879

Wow. I am sooo damn sorry to hear that. Fuck. I hope they are able to do something. I know it's longshot but I'm praying for the best.

Grinchy

Banned
Didn't realize you could do this, I'm going to use that method from now on. But seriously Sony, this is totally back asswards, don't pigeon-hold us to Facebook or Twitter.

I don't quite understand. If you're going to deal with large quantities of images, isn't the USB copy the fastest method?

Don't you have to upload each picture one at a time to Facebook and Twitter? And this whole thing with sending them to another PSN account sounds tedious too. Doing a "select all" and copy to USB seems like the easiest way to go IMO.

jaaz

Yeah, you should have the information either from the packaging or online. Its better for them to lock it out than have someone going through your digital content/information
Well the bright side is I don't have any credit cards tied to either my XBox Live account or Playstation Plus.

Sorral

Thank you for all the well wishes, everyone!

I know! I bought that PS4 early because of Destiny.

The outskirts of the city. I live right next to a college campus in Wilmington, NC.

I have no idea. Might be worth pursuing.

Maybe! I don't remember reading anything about it on NeoGAF.

Good idea! I hadn't thought of that.

Pretty sure I put the PS4 on my credit card. I hadn't thought of this, thanks.

I do! I have renter's insurance.

Girl.

=)

Sorry to hear that happened to you. Not to make you worry, but you sure that was all?

I had my PC, Laptop, PS3, PSP and more stolen from me a few years back and it really sucked especially since it was a big gaming collection.

For Sony/MS to act about the theft, if I remember right, the police will have to talk to them and a warrant might be needed. This is definitely worth checking on even if it takes a while.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I think with the ?? enemeies you cant do any damage actually, they are invincible at that level. High levels that you can actually see, will do the 1,1,1,1 damage though, depending on variables.

Last night, a buddy and I cleared a room with 1 level ?? Hallowed Knight and 2 level ?? Annointed Acolytes.

We were doing 1 damage with crits, 2 damage with rockets and Nova Bombs.

Took well over an hour, and they guarded two empty rooms. No chests (though some may spawn eventually), no dead ghost.

Each dropped 300 points, 25-30 glimmer, ammo, and I think my buddy got a weapon engram that he couldn't equip.

PVE yes, PVP no way. Halo had no real competition when it was huge. Now everything competes with CoD and BF. I was surprised at how few people cared enough to watch Twitch streams of Destiny PVP this past weekend.

I'm glad too, because this game really shines in PVE. PVP is incredibly weak. So I hope Bungie puts most of their time and effort into bringing us more and more great co-op PVE encounters.

Ninja consistently had more than 2k viewers before alpha went more "public". After that, people were playing and not watching. Judging the final product off of one mode and two maps is ridiculous.

Sorry bout your troubles, Dax. I can't imagine how much that'd piss me off (already upset hearing about it). Good thinking to file a report right away. My mom had a TV stolen a while ago and they caught the guys trying to put it on craigslist. Idiots. Definitely should detach your accounts from the systems as much as possible, especially if you have any major personal information linked. Really hope things work out, or GAF will personally nova bomb the clowns who took the Destiny OP from us.

On a more positive note, I've been rewatching some of the old trailers pre-alpha and my mind just can't fathom all the content this games has. I was one of the people who weren't phased by any of the recent trailers. It's amazing what context can do now that I know what's what and how it plays. Seriously, rewatch these:

E3 Gameplay Experience Trailer
E3 Trailer - New Beginnings
The Devil's Lair (hey, we've been there!)
The Moon Trailer

So many enemies we haven't fought; so many planets we haven't explored; so much gear we haven't unlocked. So. Much. Content.

Really excited for the future. I've been a "one and done" kind of player for a while now, in that I played fewer games, but for a longer period of time. I thought this generation would prove to break me out of that since there are so many great games on the way - and I do plan on playing all the ones that interest me at some point. Nevertheless, with how much time I've sank into the alpha alone, I think Destiny will be the one I play so much to the point where the others don't really matter.

The link to opt in to the app does not work for me.
Sorry - nothing to see here.

There may be several reasons:
The app you’re looking for doesn't exist
or
the app developer is not currently running a test
or
you are not eligible to participate in the testing program.
If you received the link to this page from someone, we recommend you contact them for more information.

Sorry bout your troubles, Dax. I can't imagine how much that'd piss me off (already upset hearing about it). Good thinking to file a report right away. My mom had a TV stolen a while ago and they caught the guys trying to put it on craigslist. Idiots. Definitely should detach your accounts from the systems as much as possible, especially if you have any major personal information linked. Really hope things work out, or GAF will personally nova bomb the clowns who took the Destiny OP from us.

On a more positive note, I've been rewatching some of the old trailers pre-alpha and my mind just can't fathom all the content this games has. I was one of the people who weren't phased by any of the recent trailers. It's amazing what context can do now that I know what's what and how it plays. Seriously, rewatch these:

The Moon Trailer

So many enemies we haven't fought; so many planets we haven't explored; so much gear we haven't unlocked. So. Much. Content.

Really excited for the future. I've been a "one and done" kind of player for a while now, in that I played fewer games, but for a longer period of time. I thought this generation would prove to break me out of that since there are so many great games on the way - and I do plan on playing all the ones that interest me at some point. Nevertheless, with how much time I've sank into the alpha alone, I think Destiny will be the one I play so much to the point where the others don't really matter.

Those chain reactions bonus multipliers are they still in the game?

tehPete

Banned

& I thought my day was going badly :( At least there's cloud saving now I guess - silver lining, however thin.

majik13

Last night, a buddy and I cleared a room with 1 level ?? Hallowed Knight and 2 level ?? Annointed Acolytes.

Took well over an hour, and they guarded two empty rooms. No chests (though some may spawn eventually), no dead ghost.

Each dropped 300 points, 25-30 glimmer, ammo, and I think my buddy got a weapon engram that he couldn't equip.

intresting, I read on this thread that they were just invincible, and they always were for me. Though I havent really gotten high level gear, Ive always just made new characters, and leveled them up seperatly. So maybe that was why.

Did the exact same thing. The Warlock's vortex grenade is really good too. It stops the Hallowed Knight dead in its tracks.

Holy shit. I'm so sorry. :(

I hope they find those assholes and your stuff.

Thanks all!
Sorry to hear that happened to you. Not to make you worry, but you sure that was all?

I had my PC, Laptop, PS3, PSP and more stolen from me a few years back and it really sucked especially since it was a big gaming collection.
Everything else is still here. Vintage vinyl copies of Abbey Road and Let It Be. All my Beach Boys vinyls and DVDs/blu-rays. My computer, all my most expensive dresses, blu-ray player...all still here.
Spent 6 years in NC... had friends who went to UNC WIlmington... that's not a "bad" part of town by any stretch! Such a bummer... I know id be floored if that happened to me!
Word? I just graduated! Will be moving out to LA at the end of July.

The Moon Trailer

I looked over the Destiny demo from E3 2013 because I was curious to see how much had changed. Surprisingly, not much. UI is pretty much the same. Though it looks like snipers used to be a heavy weapon that was switched to secondary status. The hand-cannon from secondary to primary.

kizzmaul

Neo Member
How do I report bugs in this game? I found one:
WP1HduP.jpg

Also the same bug in motion (the same as picture, not so necessary to look):
Youtube - Destiny First Look Alpha Bug

I looked over the Destiny demo from E3 2013 because I was curious to see how much had changed. Surprisingly, not much. UI is pretty much the same. Though it looks like snipers used to be a heavy weapon that was switched to secondary status. The hand-cannon from secondary to primary.

Yea I remember they switched the weapon spots around. I like how it works currently for PvE, but running around with a Sniper/Shotgun and Rocket Launcher on top of an AR gets a bit crazy in PvP. Nevermind the super abilities.

They have some crazy balancing ahead of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom