• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny beta on Xbox One will not be running at 1080p, will reach 1080p by launch

Head.spawn

Yeah, you're definitely right, Betas these days generally aren't really betas to test the product. But, i'd hope bungie is actually wanting to figure out some gremlins with the # of people expected to play this thing.

What im saying is --- I do see a problem testing your 900p beta, if you have a 1080p build working. I'd want to test the load of 1080p in relation to multiplayer performance, since it is going to ship as that. Because I'd want customers having the best experience on their hardware. Thats why my opinion is that it isn't going to hit 1080p when it ships.

So its probably just a old build to get preorders you think?

What exactly does 1080p have to do with network performance?

They are not throwing up the beta to glean information on software performance, they can do that on their own perfectly well. The "beta" is for wide-scale bug hunting and for fine tuning network performance.

I'm not seeing how you have managed to connect the dots with a "beta" and retail. I can't really say for sure, but maybe you should take to twitter and tell Bungie to stop lying to us.

Rocketz

The same sort of shit was promised for Titanfall, and people are still waiting for that to happen.

Well Respawn never confirmed anything. They said they were going to try and up the resolution but yes nothing has happened yet. Bungie has come out and confirmed it will be 1080p at launch. I don't understand why people are fighting this when Bungie has confirmed it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
About that...

gameclip_by_gavinuk86-d7q9zgp.gif

edit: this is/was the Xbone version

Them normal maps are too intense!

x-Lundz-x

Well Respawn never confirmed anything. They said they were going to try and up the resolution but yes nothing has happened yet. Bungie has come out and confirmed it will be 1080p at launch. I don't understand why people are fighting this when Bungie has confirmed it.

If they can't get it to 1080 at launch, regardless of if they said it would, the meltdowns...man. Things could always change and they may not be able to get it stable at 1080 to warrant keeping it there and drop it to 900.

Two Words

Destiny's artstyle is one that makes 1080p a must. The game sacrifices a lot of next-gen wiz-bang to have a very sharp and clean appearance. Those beautiful skyboxes and vistas would be ruined if you had to deal with the shimmering, glimmering mess that is sub-1080p jaggies and aliasing.

Far too much worry is being put on a single apparent slowdown on Xbox One footage. We don't know where in development that footage is from. It could have easily been a slowdown caused by the Xbox One streaming in the next part of the environments.

Rocketz

If they can't get it to 1080 at launch, regardless of if they said it would, the meltdowns...man. Things could always change and they may not be able to get it stable at 1080 to warrant keeping it there and drop it to 900.

I have confidence in Bungie. No reason not to. But next week we shall see it running in 1080p on XB1. Well see how it is then.

If some force of nature happened and it was only 900p, I can't even imagine what that would be like. Jesus

darthbob

I have confidence in Bungie. No reason not to. But next week we may see it running in 1080p on XB1. Well see how it is then.

If some force of nature happened and it was only 900p, I can't even imagine what that would be like. Jesus

FTFY.

But yeah, meltdowns everywhere if the final code was sub-1080p.

viveks86

I have confidence in Bungie. No reason not to. But next week we shall see it running in 1080p on XB1

Not sure what you mean. The thread is titled "Destiny beta on Xbox One will not be running at 1080p, will reach 1080p by launch"

EDIT: Nevermind. Didn't know the OP had updates

Bsigg12

Which is incredibly stupid...this was outputted from the software encoder the xbox uses...I can say from experience that the encoder can sometimes cause frame rate drops where they didn't actually happen.

It was a bug captured by a tester as noted by Urk.

No, this is like making a game on hardware that can't seem to hit 1080p unless it removes all new/current developments in rendering technology at a stable framerate. Their beta is 900p. That is what they are testing their game with, upping the resolution to 1080p is going to be a more difficult load on hardware that can't hit 1080p for its beta.

So, either this beta is useless, as 1080p will be a different load for the Xbone to run and keep the latency low for multiplay, or, its going to be a lower resolution, like most Xbox One games. They don't know anything better than anyone else when it comes to what final resolution your engine is running. Its the hardware.

The PS4 is hitting 1080p with all the visual bells and whistles, as well as knowing the hardware load in relation to multiplayer performance. If they could get the Xbox One to be 1080p, it would be. But they can't so its 900p on the platform.

The xbox one, is going to run a beta with the hardware running less demanding software. So, when they up the resolution, are they going to do another beta to test how performance is affected with the higher resolution and all the bells and whistles as well as multiplayer performance for their customers, or.. do you think they are just going to switch a selector to 1080p and ship the game and 1080p is no more demanding on hardware than 900p? Like i said, the logic can't be had both ways. Either 1080p is more demanding, and would require a beta to iron out their 1080p hardware load/multiplayer, or its going to ship at the resolution they tested the game in, and optimized it for. You don't test at 900p, and learn anything that will apply to 1080p.

You should probably avoid tech talk like this. It's obvious you don't know what you're talking about.

playXray

Repeated framerate drops.

Can you tell that from a GIF? Couldn't it just be reduced frames in the GIF itself?

Either way, I kinda feel sorry for MS with all this 1080p stuff. I like hi-res games obviously, but 900p to 1080p just isn't a big deal to me. Would much rather have a stable frame rate.

Kinda like GT5 when it first came out. Rendered in such a high resolution that it came with tons of screen tearing. I'd much rather have 720p and no tearing (which I manually adjusted the game to eventually).

derFeef

Holy shit this thread is crazy.

It will be 1080, 30fps on both consoles.

Retail not beta.

Damn, and I thought it would be running at that gifs framerate and resolution.

Wonder if it's worth it. If they are having such a hard time, lock it at 900p.

Sorry that's just stupid, even if you would be happy about it.
They have the retail version running on 1080p and why shouldn't it be worth it? The game will look better as a result.

Man

Okay Bungie. You have one month to go from 900p to 1080p before going gold.

"We are aiming for 1080p on all platforms."

Zakalwe

Banned
Since when has 30 not counted as solid?

Solid 30fps is solid.

30fps is nver smooth though, imo.

I will play destiny, or at least I'm tryng it outon my ps3 and may make the jump to ps4. I am really disapoitned it's not 60fps though, I love that responsiveness for my FPSs. ;_;

EGM1966

I've no issue with them stating they can hit 1080p on XB1 - any game can be 1080p on XB1 if the graphical fidelity and fps are designed to allow for it.

The question I'm curious about is will it be 1080p on both PS4 and XB1 with exact parity of assets and fps (which will mean they've gone for complete parity and chosen not to exploit additional PS4 capabilities) or will it be 1080p on both PS4 and XB1 with similar assets but certain advantages on PS4 (improved graphical effects, better fps, or whatever)?

If the game is good and I want it I'll get it on PS4 either way but I'd obviously hope for the latter. 100% parity would either mean Activision/Bungie went for 100% parity for cost/development reasons (which seems unlikely given budget/backing) or for political reasons (which I'd find a little disappointing and would seem the likelier reason assuming full parity).

At this point I'm assuming a decent 1080p version on XB1 and a modestly superior 1080p version on PS4 and by superior I mean a few extra graphical/performance bells/whistles as game should play same on each.

Sayad

Okay Bungie. You have one month to go from 900p to 1080p before going gold.

"We are aiming for 1080p on all platforms."
The game probably have been running at 1080p for while but with performance issues, so it's better to turn the res down to avoid performance criticism(which should be ironed out before release) during the beta. That's my guess, otherwise they wont be promoting the 1080p thing, the backlash would be huge if they don't make it.

Retail wont be 1080p. And they know that, we all know this. Nothing wrong with just moving forward with the Xbone's less powerful hardware, and optimizing at 900p and what not for visually demanding games that the PS4/PC can run. The politics around 1080p is a self made joke that only Microsoft is participating in at this point.

Beta for a 900p game, is fundamentally different than the load that the 1080p beta would be gpu/cpu wise. I mean, they can't have it both ways.

Dat edited comment. Oh man...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=859102

CozMick

Banned
Hey bungie keep it @900p30. Don't go for the extra P's because I don't want frame drops like I saw in that ign video.

Top Bottom