• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Beta - PS4/PS3 comparisson.

Y0j1mb0

Alright, maybe I am different than most here but those PS3 shots blew my mind.

As someone who has not touched a "previous" gen console since last November in my minds eye I *think* all of the PS3 and XBOX360 games look like junk. Maybe its the fact that im playing in a new console and my perceived jump in graphics is not nearly as big as it actually is. As long as the destiny performs ( as im sure it will since next gen is 30 fps as well ) then I am flabbergasted.

Obviously I can point out the differences when looking at the comparison pics. But if someone simply posted the PS3 shots I would have assumed its PS4 - it looks that good. Wow...talk about a kick in the nuts.

Brother, you may need to get some glasses.

If you look at the foliage in those outdoor PS3 vs PS4 images, it is just crazy how much more detailed the PS4 version is.

Then the textures on those cars, man. PS4 is an obvious pretty big upgrade, as it should be.

Then, the details on the building in the background.

These blew me away!

igEVCqhTmB1QU.png

Alright, maybe I am different than most here but those PS3 shots blew my mind.

As someone who has not touched a "previous" gen console since last November in my minds eye I *think* all of the PS3 and XBOX360 games look like junk. Maybe its the fact that im playing in a new console and my perceived jump in graphics is not nearly as big as it actually is. As long as the destiny performs ( as im sure it will since next gen is 30 fps as well ) then I am flabbergasted.

Obviously I can point out the differences when looking at the comparison pics. But if someone simply posted the PS3 shots I would have assumed its PS4 - it looks that good. Wow...talk about a kick in the nuts.

got me straight laughing like Krusty.

N-Forced

Neo Member
This game doesn't look as bad as everyone is making it out to be on ps3, yes the ps4 looks better overall but for 8 year old hardware the ps3 seems like it's keeping up fine.

jett

D-Member
Just played some of the beta. I think it looks pretty good for PS3. It's pretty blurry but it's a pretty, colorful game with nice lighting, framerate holds up mostly. The Destiny aesthetic is maintained. If anything the PS4xbone versions are probably held back by these PS360 shenanigans.

+1 I've been playing on PS3 and it looks impressive for such an old system.

That said, can't wait for launch so I can play on a brand new, white PS4 :)

Man

We need photos of the same size (1080p) as it's not really an apt comparison otherwise.

Mario 64 looks OK actually on a 90's CRT television but horrible on a modern 1080p screen (similarly 720p looks bad on 1080p).

trust me, i've played the PS4 and PS3 version..

the PS3 version looks atrocious. the resolution is terrible, the textures are pretty much non-existent and the framerate isn't even smooth. the draw distance is something like i've never seen before, objects like enemies, trees and buildings look like mush when only 30 yards away.

the only reason i played the ps3 version was to play with some friends. let's hope they get a ps4 soon..

Recall

I have no choice but to get the PS3 version as I don't own a PS4, which I will live with. Just hope the community is there for it.

That's probably the first cross-gen title that makes me think it was forced to somehow still run on PS3 and isn't just the usual higher-res PS4 up-port.

.la1n

I have no choice but to get the PS3 version as I don't own a PS4, which I will live with. Just hope the community is there for it.

I would be surprised if the PS3 doesn't have the largest community, larger install base pretty much guarantees it.

Koralsky

This is me, playing PS3 beta last night - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyiODaxgVqo&feature=youtu.be

I think it looks quite good on PS3 - one of the best looking games for the console.

Having played alpha on PS4 I can definitely say that the overall experience is quite, quite close.

Of course LOD is worse and the details isn't' that prominent. Also expected hit in resolution. But the scale is the same, framerate is surprisingly stable and it feels like the game belong to the platform (PS3).

I think if there's enough community on PS3 (360), anyone without PS4/One can have full Destiny experience.

Gurish

Damn that looks good!

One of the best looking FPS on PS3 actually, very impressive and even stands proudly against the PS4 considering the hardware gap, a great accomplishment for PS3 and kind of embarrassment for next gen.

Seems like Destiny is not a good enough reason upgrading the hardware, the differences aren't worth it imo.

Really wish this cross gen period will end, it's really killing the hype for next gen when you see such comparisons.

Tbh, Destiny's graphics arent really "next gen". I think it has the potential to do better along with 60 fps. Dem last gen console gimp.

x-Lundz-x

Tbh, Destiny's graphics arent really "next gen". I think it has the potential to do better along with 60 fps. Dem last gen console gimp.

Well, given that they have to make the game with last gen in mind, it's pretty damn impressive. However in a few years when the next major release hits it should be current gen only then we can see how much of an improvement we get.

Certainly seems impressive watching those videos of the PS3 versions. I wonder how much Sony have passed on to Bungie in terms of in house knowledge for the coding on the machine. If they have had the collective minds and experience of ND and GG to start their first project then it would explain how they have come up looking so good on what is likely to be their one and only game on the PS3.

Character shadows are pretty rough, along with obvious lower resolution and other stuff, but playing the beta on PS3, I think it holds up well. Obviously, the PS4 is the better version.

Green Yoshi

Honestly, I like the PS3-version. It runs very smooth and looks ok. The disconnections are stupid, an offline-mode as in Borderlands would be great.

Gestault

I played the first two missions of the Beta on PS3 this morning (I had previously played the PS4 Alpha), and was pleased with how well it held up. Graphics aside, they were completely comparable. The PS3 version was blurrier.

yeah, I have more problems with the game itself rather than the PS3 performance.

#1 chiefly being that I can't map my own buttons of tweak music volume. Being PC master race really makes it hard going back to play a console game, especially a Bungie game with most settings totally fucking locked down.

I played the first two missions of the Beta on PS3 this morning (I had previously played the PS4 Alpha), and was pleased with how well it held up. Graphics aside, they were completely comparable. The PS3 version was blurrier.
Well, they're the same game so besides the visuals, they should be comparable lol.

Orayn

yeah, I have more problems with the game itself rather than the PS3 performance.

#1 chiefly being that I can't map my own buttons of tweak music volume. Being PC master race really makes it hard going back to play a console game, especially a Bungie game with most settings totally fucking locked down.

They might as well just add full remapping at this point, we already have a variety of button/stick setups and the option to switch L1/L2 and R1/R2.

shinnn

Isn't this shadow weird? Like it is projected in the screen, and not in the scenario. Should follow the geometry of the scenario, but its like a flat thing in the air.

i9AJXd3WDd6nk.png

Volotaire

I've just played some of the PS3 beta, and have to say for a PS3 game it look OK. Character models and weapons models look good but the environmental objects and the scenery are sore for the eyes. PS4 in the screenshots look much better than it. Although i don't have much experience on the console, have been used to mostly playing PC versions of games

Gestault

Isn't this shadow weird? Like it is projected in the screen, and not in the scenario. Should follow the geometry of the scenario, but its like a flat thing in the air.

i9AJXd3WDd6nk.png

I think shadow projection has that effect, when it's viewed from a source point. From the side, it should show as warping along the contours of those surfaces.

RotBot

i9AJXd3WDd6nk.png

A POV shadow of your own body shouldn't look very distorted. If someone standing to the side looks at the shadow, then it should be distorted from their perspective.

Awesome to see Bungie put a remarkable effort into all versions of this. Just got a Beta invite from Sony for both the PS3 and PS4 versions. Don't have a PS4 right now, so am gladly gonna play it on PS3 :)

Top Bottom