• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny House of Wolves |OT| Fatebringer 24/7/365

Z3M0G

2. Treasure keys. Having a treasure key on your character after being the last round in a PoE playlist lets you open the giant center chest in the treasure room. This chest has various possible loot tables inside of it, and the higher the PoE tier, the greater chance of better rewards. If you don't have a key on you, you can't open this chest. Also, this chest can be opened as many times as you have a key upon completion of a PoE tier.

So you can run POE once, and open the chest numerous times so long as you have multiple keys? This is pretty sweet! I'll definitely stack keys some day and save them for one successful run at a higher Tier.

Who am I kidding... keys will be so rare I'll run through PoE immediately just to use it...

Is 32 considered max level for now or is it 35?

34 I believe.

Is 32 considered max level for now or is it 35?

Level 34 is the new max. PoE's hardest difficulty tier is 35.

So you can run POE once, and open the chest numerous times so long as you have multiple keys? This is pretty sweet! I'll definitely stack keys some day and save them for one successful run at a higher Tier.

Who am I kidding... keys will be so rare I'll run through PoE immediately just to use it...

Yep! And you can farm keys from the Wolf Pack public events. I've gotten 7 keys so far.. 5 from farming and 2 from the story lines across my main and one now my alts.

This way... You can keep running PoE to help others or just out of enjoyment... And still get loot!

Also: you can only carry 5 keys on one character at a time, and the vault can only hold 5 keys at a time as well. In total, you can't have more than 20 keys at any given time.

Socat

34 I believe.

The chest that requires a key can only be opened once per run, but I have not verified this, as I only had one key when I ran it at 28

The chest that requires a key can only be opened once per run, but I have not verified this, as I only had one key when I ran it at 28

One key, one mega chest, once per run. But if you have, say, 5 keys, you can run PoE (any tier) 5 times and open the chest all 5 times.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it only opens once per run. But you can run it as many times as you want in a week and continue to open the chest each run so long as you have the keys to open it. At least that's how I think it works.

Newboi

Does the difficulty level of the PoE event effect what you actually get out of the chest (outside of the Weekly rewards)? Like, if I completed the lvl 32 and lvl 34 versions. Would the lvl 34 give me better rewards from the chest on a replay then the lvl 32 version?

Z3M0G

One key, one mega chest, once per run. But if you have, say, 5 keys, you can run PoE (any tier) 5 times and open the chest all 5 times.

Oh, I thought you meant opening it multiple times per run. Like you just spam SQUARE on the open chest and you'll get 5 sets of loot.

Well that would have been silly anyways. :p Ok, so no need to stack keys. Unless I choose to save them for 35 runs, but I'm a long way from there... doubt I'll ever make it there really. Not hardcore enough for that.

It is great if each Tier is simply a higher % at good loot... and not simply better loot. I can stick with 28 for life and progress slowly, and be happy with knowing I can still reach max level.

They really nailed it with this DLC... this is exactly what the game needed for those of us who never touched Raids.

I'm looking to get back into Destiny. I stopped playing just before The Dark Below came out and have a level 28 Hunter. Is there any reason to buy TDB or can I just get HoW to jump back in? Also, I'm not in a clan, so what's the defacto tool of choice these days to get a group together for non-matchmaking activities?

Nephtes

He's not meant to be literally quiet all of a sudden, they don't want there to be a story reason why they don't get Dinklage back over and over for new voice work.

What's interesting is they don't even reuse any generic lines. They must not want to pay him for even that, for some reason or another. Maybe it would just be too expensive.

The ghost will either never speak again, and just be ignored in future story... being just a flashlight going forward... or he'll have an entirely new voice some day. But they likely feel obligated to put some story behind that if/when it happens.

Well I hope they do something. I hated Dinklebot's phoned in performance and hammy lines as much as the next guy, but having him become affected by the Speaker's TV remote's Mute button is unsettling given how chatty he used to be...

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm looking to get back into Destiny. I stopped playing just before The Dark Below came out and have a level 28 Hunter. Is there any reason to buy TDB or can I just get HoW to jump back in? Also, I'm not in a clan, so what's the defacto tool of choice these days to get a group together for non-matchmaking activities?

If you don't already have TDB it looks like there is very little reason to bother getting it now.

1) You can totally skip TDB. It's not as good as the main game content or the stuff we got in this new expansion.

2) Destinylfg.com; Destinylfg.net; or the best one: Neogaf Destiny Community a.k.a. DGAF!

lt519

So far, I'm less than impressed and regretting having purchased the Digital Guardian Edition at launch that came with the "expansions".

It can make your past work feel trivialized but you can turn in all those materials for motes of light to re-roll new weapons or glimmer to buy new things. You can also use them to upgrade older legendary items from Vanilla (or the expansions) which you can then ascend to be gear on par with the new expansion. So not totally useless, but yes, a crappy feeling for in the end a better in game upgrade/currency system.

Seeing as how you were only at level 28 I don't think you've experienced the meat of the game yet. The story missions are by far the bottom of the barrel. Getting involved in Nightfalls and Raids with GAF is some of the best gaming I've had n years. Stop over at the OT, groups are forming all of the time.

hydruxo

Crota's End is really the only thing worthwhile in TDB. If you're interested in that then I'd say buy it, otherwise you're better off just getting HoW and skipping TDB.

If you're looking for people to do activities with, the Destiny OT here on Gaf is great. Always people to play with (though it's mainly PS4 players, but there are some XB1 players in there).

Nephtes

Seeing as how you were only at level 28 I don't think you've experienced the meat of the game yet. The story missions are by far the bottom of the barrel. Getting involved in Nightfalls and Raids with GAF is some of the best gaming I've had n years. Stop over at the OT, groups are forming all of the time.

Believe me, I experienced the "meat" of the game.
I had enough Ascendant Shards to be level 30-31... I just never got around to farming enough Relic Iron to upgrade my armor as I was trying to max out my Invective Shotgun for the exotic weapon achievement.

I most certainly did the first raid a few times, and probably put 80 hours into PVP...

I even joined RaidGAF... Not that I ever managed to find any RaidGAF members to raid with...

Compsiox

Banned

34 I believe.

34 is the max level right now, unless I've misunderstood your question.

Level 34 is the new max. PoE's hardest difficulty tier is 35.

Yep! And you can farm keys from the Wolf Pack public events. I've gotten 7 keys so far.. 5 from farming and 2 from the story lines across my main and one now my alts.

This way... You can keep running PoE to help others or just out of enjoyment... And still get loot!

Also: you can only carry 5 keys on one character at a time, and the vault can only hold 5 keys at a time as well. In total, you can't have more than 20 keys at any given time.
Oh alright thanks guys.

StillEdge

You can also easily but yourself to 32 also with ascending an exotic piece then using marks to buy current legendary gear.

pantsmith

The ghost will either never speak again, and just be ignored in future story... being just a flashlight going forward... or he'll have an entirely new voice some day. But they likely feel obligated to put some story behind that if/when it happens.

Or he will stay voiced by Dinklage? Why would they just get rid of a major story characters voice? To me, that's what my Ghost sounds like.

It's pretty clear they just didn't think the cost of paying Dinklage was worth the money they are making on DLC. If he did have lines recorded back during the main recording sessions, you might have people arguing that the content existed on disc already and was saved for DLC.

The lack of matchmaking has gotten ridiculous. How can a horde mode not have matchmaking? The content isn't hard or complicated. It just takes forever to complete because you face one bullet sponge after another.

I love going to Destiny LFG websites and seeing people with Must have Gally/Icebreaker and 33+. How awful do you have to be to require those items? Level 32 for level 32 content is perfectly fine.

For the record i'm lvl 33.

Nephtes

The lack of matchmaking has gotten ridiculous. How can a horde mode not have matchmaking? The content isn't hard or complicated. It just takes forever to complete because you face one bullet sponge after another.

I love going to Destiny LFG websites and seeing people with Must have Gally/Icebreaker and 33+. How awful do you have to be to require those items? Level 32 for level 32 content is perfectly fine.

Wait wait wait... There's no matchmaking for Prison of Elders??

I thought there was?

BokehKing

Banned

Why don't you ask the people in the matchmaking level 28 PoE to run the higher levels with you?

lt519

Believe me, I experienced the "meat" of the game.
I had enough Ascendant Shards to be level 30-31... I just never got around to farming enough Relic Iron to upgrade my armor as I was trying to max out my Invective Shotgun for the exotic weapon achievement.

I most certainly did the first raid a few times, and probably put 80 hours into PVP...

I even joined RaidGAF... Not that I ever managed to find any RaidGAF members to raid with...

Yeah the clan system is absurdly useless. GAF had some grand plans for a clan structure and it went out the window day one when there is zero in game support for clan communication, etc.

At least they got rid of the farming for mats, etc, in part to help players get to the "meat" of the game faster. If you don't enjoy it you don't enjoy it, not going to convince you otherwise. But the raids and nightfalls definitely are the "meat" of the game for better or worse (unless you are a PvP player).

Nephtes

Only for the lowest tier (28)

Only for the level 28 mode.

Whelp... That's it for me. I'm out. I can't deal with the roadblocks this game keeps putting in front of me enjoying it's content.

Can't see in game Clan members unless you have them friended.
No clan management in game.
No general chat.
Dinklebot hamming up the story with phoned in performance.
No matchmaking on basic stuff like raids and now the horde mode?

That's the camel that broke the straw'a back for me...

Is there enough fresh content to jump back in now fellas if I got tired of the formula and stopped at lvl 29?

I also don't have enough friends to do a full raid (3 of us) but loved the weekly trials and stuff. Is this the big expansion or the one at the end of the year?

Carn82

2. Treasure keys. Having a treasure key on your character after being the last round in a PoE playlist lets you open the giant center chest in the treasure room. This chest has various possible loot tables inside of it, and the higher the PoE tier, the greater chance of better rewards. If you don't have a key on you, you can't open this chest. Also, this chest can be opened as many times as you have a key upon completion of a PoE tier.

I believe that only your first key per character per week -might- drop an exotic. The rest is Queens-themed gear or weapons. I haven't seen solid proof (yet) that the higher difficulties yield better loot. This table on reddit looks pretty reasonable.

So I haven't done PoE yet and plan to do it at the weekend.

How do these treasure keys work?
How long is PoE?
What is the rep gain like for varkis?
Any good load outs?

Can someone give me a blow by blow of the PoE experience?

Will the nightfall have spoilers?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Whelp... That's it for me. I'm out. I can't deal with the roadblocks this game keeps putting in front of me enjoying it's content.

Can't see in game Clan members unless you have them friended.
No clan management in game.
No general chat.
Dinklebot hamming up the story with phoned in performance.
No matchmaking on basic stuff like raids and now the horde mode?

That's the camel that broke the straw'a back for me...

I agree that it's shitty, (and I don't have HOW and am still undecided if I will buy it or indeed ever give Destiny the time of day again), but the PoE situation is at least somewhat mitigated by voice chat being on by default. If you finish a lvl 28 PoE with two randoms and it goes well, you three can just join a fireteam and do a harder one.

Again, I'm not making excuses because I think Bungie is really way too slow/resistant to opening up matchmaking for important content, but at least there is an option far more reasonable than the raiding method of "post on forums so you can play with 5 other randoms instead of matchmaking to 5 other randoms."

pantsmith

And the fact that he was absolutely horrid could contribute lol

I vastly prefer this the method used for this expansion

I really like him as Ghost. He sounds half robot, half mysterious space helper. Something not human trying to communicate like one. Which is exactly what he is.

When people talk about not liking his performance I totally respect that, but I don't understand. It's like a mix between C3PO and R2D2, feels dead on to what someone intended.

That said, the storytelling, script, and chemistry between voice actors is remarkably improved. Really glad to see them making such an effort.

Carn82

So I haven't done PoE yet and plan to do it at the weekend.

How do these treasure keys work?
How long is PoE?
What is the rep gain like for varkis?
Any good load outs?

Can someone give me a blow by blow of the PoE experience?

Will the nightfall have spoilers?

When you finish a PoE session you can get rewards:
- rewards for finishing the difficulty (mission rewards, drop once 1 week per character)
- you go to a treasure room, which contains 2 smaller chests and 1 big chest. The big chest can only be opened with a treasure key.
- big chest gives you Queen's Wrath weapons, and possibly an RNG exotic. There is a theory that the exotic only drops once per charachter per week. Proof will be in numbers.
- smaller chests give you 'sideloot', could be coins, motes, tokens (exchangable at Variks) and possibly a treasure key.

lt519

Again, I'm not making excuses because I think Bungie is really way too slow/resistant to opening up matchmaking for important content, but at least there is an option far more reasonable than the raiding method of "post on forums so you can play with 5 other randoms instead of matchmaking to 5 other randoms."

I do have to say that playing with 5 other GAF members is a vastly different experience than playing with 5 randoms. I can't even stomach weekly strikes with half the scrubs that I get matchmade with. I can't imagine a raid with them.

If a GAF member thinks going to the OT that is bustling at like 100 posts an hour right now to find a fun/good team is too much of a roadblock then they probably didn't like the game in the first place (hence all of his complaints are problems that were with vanilla destiny, not HoW, and a quick google search would show nothing has changed).

ColEx

The first PoE which is for level 28+ has matchmaking, why cant Bungie do this for the first tier of each raid too?!

Top Bottom