• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny House of Wolves |OT| Fatebringer 24/7/365

Geedorah

Thanks a ton! Sucks about the Etheric Light gates...but I guess it's expected.

One more question, I noticed in the patch notes that "Commendations can now be converted to receive +250 gains in Vanguard, Crucible, or Faction reputation", does this mean I can trade in what Commendations that I have to leveling up my standing with the Expansion Factions? (Crota and/or Queen rep?) Where do I trade these in?

You can "use" the commendations - like an ammo synth.

It will give you +250 Vanguard or Crucible rep, and if you have a Faction item equipped it will convert that +250 into w/e Faction (ie. Dead Orbit). From what I can tell Crota rep can't be gained this way. Also all Queen's rep got turned back to 0 for the HoW expac, and I'm like 99.99% sure they wouldn't give such an easy way to skip over the new expac's faction grind

Shikoba

So...this a worthwhile expansion? tempted to get back in since in my circle of friends, theres a few die hard Destiny players (I think they said their in the top 50 in crucible) that want me to come back to the game. Is dark below worth getting also?

Last night was the most fun I have had with Destiny since launch. It's a great expansion. I was able to completely replace my old gear with new gear, finally got an Icebreaker exotic from PoE, the story quests were a lot of fun I thought (despite being reused areas), and I got my first piece of the Kellhunter set, which I was was one of the sets I really wanted to get. Looking forward to ToO this weekend. Overall it feels like a lot of content and a lot to look forward to. Gear actually feels obtainable, which might be the biggest plus so far.

Dark below was alright. I was disappointed with it overall, but if you come back and get into HoW, maybe check it out for the raid and exclusive items. If you are behind in levels, the vanguard/crucible gear would be a great way to jump to end game activities as they were just updated.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Just started House of Wolves and already feels better than that crap Dark Below expansion. Liked the first story mission with some more variety in the enemy encounters. Some nice tweeks to the standard templates to keep things more interesting. I also like the straightforward setup to the story of the Queen hiring gaurdians to take down a traitor.

funkypie

Banned
I've made this statement plenty of times in the past, but here it is again.

Comparing Halo to Destiny.

A typical Halo DLC pack consists of 3 maps for $10.00

This was a price that I, as well as many many others were willing to pay. So I'm going to consider this an acceptable price.

So Bungie has given us 3 maps for Destiny each time. So these 3 maps are going to cancel out $10 by default.

This leave the remaining $10 to be accounted for.

Now with Dark below, we were paying $10 for
  • 2 Proper missions
  • 3 Quests
  • A handful of new bounties
  • 1 new World Event (Blades of Crota)
  • Roughly 100 new weapons and armor.
  • 1 new strike
  • 1 new raid

Not the best bang for your buck, but it was alright. The Raid of course was carrying most of the weight there.

Now lets look at Hosue of Wolves (again cancelling out the $10 for the PvP maps.)
  • 5 Proper missions
  • A new World event (Prowling Wolves)
  • A crazy amount of new Bounties
  • Roughly 200 new weapons and armor
  • 1 new strike
  • 1 new PvE hub (The Reef)
  • 1 new raid-like activity (Prison of Elders)
  • 1 new PvP activity (Trials of Osiris)
  • 1 new vehicle

This I can get behind. The list above definitely seems to be worth $10 for me.

Note: I realize you mentioned £ in your post. I just translated £ for $ because thats what the gaming industry does 95% of the time.

why should we leave out the PVP maps. Let's just include everything please. TDB and HoW are both £20.00 each. In the past you would get a FULL expansion for that price.

Now you mention trials of osiris come on... it is literally just 3v3 but with better rewards, hardly ground breaking stuff.

And who cares about a new social space, it is like these hub things are actually good. All it does is cause more loading, especially worse before pre app vault usage.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Last night was the most fun I have had with Destiny since launch. It's a great expansion. I was able to completely replace my old gear with new gear, finally got an Icebreaker exotic from PoE, the story quests were a lot of fun I thought (despite being reused areas), and I got my first piece of the Kellhunter set, which I was was one of the sets I really wanted to get. Looking forward to ToO this weekend. Overall it feels like a lot of content and a lot to look forward to. Gear actually feels obtainable, which might be the biggest plus so far.

Dark below was alright. I was disappointed with it overall, but if you come back and get into HoW, maybe check it out for the raid and exclusive items. If you are behind in levels, the vanguard/crucible gear would be a great way to jump to end game activities as they were just updated.

You really thought gear was unobtainable in TDB? Almost everyone had a full set of raid gear within the first 2 or 3 weeks it seemed.

Anyway, glad to hear that it is fun.

Two Words

Bungie keeps playing musical chairs with grinding in this game. Whenever you feel like they've gotten rid of some annoying grind or RN'Gesus bullsjit, you find out they just put the bullshit somewhere else.

My two favorite new weapons so far. Absolutely in love.

9UXta63.jpg

ZWWG30n.jpg

Shikoba

You really thought gear was unobtainable in TDB? Almost everyone had a full set of raid gear within the first 2 or 3 weeks it seemed.

Anyway, glad to hear that it is fun.

Ah, Sorry, I should probably clarify that I have yet to do anything without matchmaking outside of a handful of occasions... I'm rather shy and don't like being on a mic, so I suppose I don't venture out to find groups often as I feel like I would hold them back not having a mic. So for someone like me I guess HoW is appealing as the gear and end level is reachable.

R0ckman

Had a really good day. Got a bunch of new gear, hit lev 33 and beat PoE lev 34. Shit gets pretty crazy in the last couple stages..Wrecked Crota HM for shits and man what a difference being lev 33 makes running sword. Good times.

How are people hitting 33? even with an a max exotic and new legendary arm armor, I'm still at 32.

SkylineRKR

Oh god Final Rest. I have mine at 300 still. Its one to upgrade for sure. That thing is ridiculous with coils and hip fire.

Rerolled Spare change with Outlaw + Casket + Counterbalance. Seems good as Counterbalance offsets Casket penalty. Might keep it.

Deku Tree

Are they random drops or do I actually have to win? No chance for me if so - I really suck at Destiny PvP.

You win a lot and then you buy them from brother Vance with your wins. No RNG as far as we know. If you suck then look for people to carry you or give up.

I must be seeing things, AR with impact over 1. Nice.

It. Is. Glorious. I love this weapon so far.

Oh god Final Rest. I have mine at 300 still. Its one to upgrade for sure. That thing is ridiculous with coils and hip fire.

I praised the sun when the cryptarch blessed me with this yesterday. I didn't even need to reforge this one! It is fresh out of the engram!!

How are people hitting 33? even with an a max exotic and new legendary arm armor, I'm still at 32.

Upgraded Heart of Praxic Fire.
Ascended Crota's End helm, via etheric light from 34 PoE.
Fully leveled gloves from good ol' V.

I'm sitting halfway to 34 atm.

You win a lot and then you buy them from brother Vance with your wins. No RNG as far as we know. If you suck then look for people to carry you or give up.

There are rng weapons and armor from reward screens post-match. However, if you get one from rng it is not fully leveled.

R0ckman

So the best strat is to do PoE 32, get the new armor, do PoE 34, use ethic light on armor of choice, rince repeat until 34?

GlamFM

Banned
I'm not sure if there are elementary primaries dropped in ToO or not. Well, other than Fate of All Fools, but I think that's an exotic bounty. Or maybe I'm way off.

There are 4 actually.

Adept Weapons (element)
Similar to the “II” set of PoE weapons, these four will have a random damage type.
Jewel of Osiris (Adept)
The Messenger (Adept)
The Scholar (Adept)
The Summoner (Adept)

SkylineRKR

It. Is. Glorious. I love this weapon so far.

I praised the sun when the cryptarch blessed me with this yesterday. I didn't even need to reforge this one! It is fresh out of the engram!!

So I just deleted all my commendations, I never had to use them. And guess what. I got Pest Control. And Up the Ante but it looks like shit.

Pest Control came with Focused Fire, Extended mag and Outlaw.

why should we leave out the PVP maps. Let's just include everything please. TDB and HoW are both £20.00 each. In the past you would get a FULL expansion for that price.

Now you mention trials of osiris come on... it is literally just 3v3 but with better rewards, hardly ground breaking stuff.

And who cares about a new social space, it is like these hub things are actually good. All it does is cause more loading, especially worse before pre app vault usage.

I explained very specifically why I was "leaving out" the PvP maps. Please give me an example of a "full expansion" for that price.

Trials of Osiris is a new PvP gametype that did not exist in Destiny prior. If you want, I could relabel it as new PvP game mode (elimination). But it's the same thing. It does not play the same as Skirmish and/or Salvage.

If you don't care about the new social space, that's fine, use that to justify your purchase or lack thereof. It is still something new, and a bullet on the list of new features. I could have just specified: 3 new weapon/armor vendors, if it makes you feel any better.

Head is 42, and everything else including my new expansion arms are 36.

Vendor gear is at level 36. You have to ascend it to hit 42.

PoE and ToO offer items already at 42. RNG drops items at 36.

It can be a bit confusing but...

Light level 36 = Level 32
Light level 42 = Level 34

What do i do with all my radiant materials? Are they uselelss now?

Not useless. You can exchange them for glimmer or motes at the Speaker.

SkylineRKR

What do i do with all my radiant materials? Are they uselelss now?

I think all mats are useless now as new gear doesn't need light levels and old ascended gear doesn't either.

You could trade them with the speaker for glimmer or motes of lights.

This is exactly what I did(except for Hunter). Upgraded chest(Lupi for fast PoE revives), ascended CE helm(HP from orbs), new Variks arms. Ascending my CE boots next. Next week I'll work on leveling my warlock. Ascend my weapons last.

Dunlop

I only played the first mission (work is killing my spare time)

Do I have to complete all of the quests in order to do PoE?

BondFancy

The struggle to hold off using etheric light on the fatebringer is real...to anyone that has ascended it, how much better is it?

This is exactly what I did(except for Hunter). Upgraded chest(Lupi for fast PoE revives), ascended CE helm(HP from orbs), new Variks arms. Ascending my CE boots next. Next week I'll work on leveling my warlock. Ascend my weapons last.

I'll be rolling with my Titan tonight and the first etheric light she gets will go straight to my Warlock so I can ascend the boots and be 34.

The struggle to hold off using etheric light on the fatebringer is real...to anyone that has ascended it, how much better is it?

I used my 300 VoC to most excellent effect in the 34 PoE. Go with your armor first. That's my recommendation.

I realize it's ultimately a good thing, but I can't help but feel a little pissy that the Dark Below Crucible maps are free now. That DLC was already overpriced and didn't have enough to it...and now it's an even worse deal because the maps aren't even really a part of it anymore.

Multiplayer maps shouldn't be paid expansions :-/

I realize it's ultimately a good thing, but I can't help but feel a little pissy that the Dark Below Crucible maps are free now. That DLC was already overpriced and didn't have enough to it...and now it's an even worse deal because the maps aren't even really a part of it anymore.

Multiplayer maps shouldn't be paid expansions :-/

Wait until the Comet expansion comes out this fall with the Vanilla and DLC1 and DLC2 for like $40 or something. :/

pantsmith

It's funny that I thought this expansion would be lame by comparison to The Dark Below, but this is far and away the better content. They've done a great job of rejuvenating what's already there, and adding in set pieces that expand on the core experience in new ways (stasis bubbles, raid mechanics in story missions, lasers and mines, etc).

Also the lore bombs dropping in the Grimoire are crazy (it's all but confirmed the Fallen had the Traveler and their own version of the Collapse), but they've gone a step further and given us several characters who have chemistry together and make the mission to mission story interesting to follow. The last two story missions are awesome!

Really, really surprised by how good it is.

rNilla

Do I still need to unlock the upgrade damage bubbles if I can ascend a weapon or does it override it completely?

For old legendary weapons yes, you still need to fill out the bubbles. If you don't it will still ascend but the damage will be proportional to what you have unlocked so far (so rather than 365 it might be 341 or 331). Ascending essentially upgrades the level of the weapon but you still have to fill out the damage bubbles to get it to be 365/365.

For new weapons there are no damage bubbles just perk bubbles, so ascending will bring them straight to 365.

GhaleonEB

I've run the first four story missions, the strike, and the associated bounties up to that point.

It's all pretty great.

First, I was surprised at how much territory is still being reused. The first three missions are entirely in old spaces. That said, I was also surprised at how well they were used. Not only running them in reverse to change things up, but encounters that felt like they took full advantage of the spaces. On two missions they played and felt so different I didn't realize I was in familiar territory until halfway through. Pretty good work on optimizing existing geometry.

I have yet to press a button and deal with waves of enemies. The ending battles absolutely still use rounds of adds to extend the fights, but they put you in a position of strength, and with options, and then populate the battlefield. More so than any other mission in the game, these are reminding me of good Halo missions (minus the vehicular element they brought). These were the first missions in the game to date where I saw a densely packed battlefield, and settled on a strategy that did not involve sitting at the entryway and sniping everyone from safety. The fight at the area where the game begins was a standout. And at level 32, it's found the sweet spot between being able to be aggressive - I did it with scout rifle and shotgun - and having to back the hell up because there were a lot of formidable enemies out there. Nothing has felt cheap or unfair yet. And I'm already looking forward to running these with different characters and load outs. Bungie is getting their encounter design mojo back.

I like that they split the bounties into two flavors: large battles in public spaces, and smaller hits on infantry troops off the beaten paths of the patrol spaces. It was a good way to mix them up a bit. The bounties are all fun, though I worry a bit about repetition as time goes on. Certainly there are a lot of them at least.

The story telling is getting much better. The text/lore added to quest screens when accepting them (which is really snazzy) are a good touch, the way Petra and the Fallen dude play off each other, the running thread of hunting the big bad down as he tries to rally the Houses to his side. It's all pretty good stuff and a marked step up from Eris and her Urn of Many Random Tasks. (I'm a bit confused as to when I'm getting rep for Petra vs. Fallen Dude as I go back and forth; this morning I turned in a quest step to him, and got Queen's Wrath rep.)

The strike was awesome. No extended siege sequences, which is good, given that's what Prison of Elders is all about. Just a fast, hard hitting chase through the ship and a relatively brief but intense fight at the end. Having the boss both make cameos through the strike, and have the damage we do carry over to the end is an improvement over the approach with Omnigul. Only ran it once, but I'm inclined to call it the best strike in the game so far. (And it was nearly all set in new territory, to boot.) My only knock against it comes in the story - it is not tied into the main thread at al, just something that popped up. "Oh, also go kill this unrelated guy." But that's about it as far as criticisms go. Is this added to the strike playlists yet?

As a footnote, I also started up a Titan yesterday. One side effect of the new bounties and Wolf events is the public spaces are really dangerous for low-level players. Which I think is actually pretty great - seeing guys on the horizon and having to steer way around them, feeling a real sense of danger, is refreshing. I did confirm I was able to poach in on a Prowling Wolves event to score the ether chest. I just hung way back in Skywatch while two guardians struggled through it, and I sat on a roof while my level 5 Titan pinged the enemies helplessly from time to time. I bagged the chest twice. Only mats and synths, since I don't have rare or legendary stuff unlocked yet. But poaching it felt great.

This really puts TDB to shame. Poor Eris. Her material exchange is undercut by the Speaker of all people, her quests done, her bounties mostly ignored for the new hotness. I have a feeling she's going to be very lonely.

So...this a worthwhile expansion? tempted to get back in since in my circle of friends, theres a few die hard Destiny players (I think they said their in the top 50 in crucible) that want me to come back to the game. Is dark below worth getting also?
I have played ~850 hours so perhaps I am burnt out. Keep that in mind. Meh frankly the "expansion" has been disappointing. 1 strike, 1st story mission is a strike backward instead of a story mission backward strike, 2nd story mission is a patrol. Def not worth $20 so far imo. However it might be fun at first for newcomer. It's your call but that's how I feel so far.

Top Bottom