• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny House of Wolves |OT| Fatebringer 24/7/365

Great post Ghaleon. Not sure if you have got to the
big outdoor mission yet
(not really a spoiler?) but the combat and feel really reminded me of Halo.

rNilla

As a footnote, I'm also started up a Titan yesterday. One side effect of the new bounties and Wolf events is the public spaces are really dangerous for low-level players. Which I think is actually pretty great - seeing guys on the horizon and having to steer way around them, feeling a real sense of danger, is refreshing. I did confirm I was able to poach in on a Prowling Wolves event to score the ether chest. I just hung way back in Skywatch while two guardians struggled through it, and I sat on a roof while my level 5 Titan pinged the enemies helplessly from time to time. I bagged the chest twice. Only mats and synths, since I don't have rare or legendary stuff unlocked yet. But poaching it felt great.

I was thinking about this last week when the Wolves events first appeared. It must be nuts as a new player to run around and come across high level enemies that can stomp you. I remember a similar feeling finding some of the ?? Level Hive in the Cosmodrome during the Beta but unfortunately those were just dead end areas.

The worst: having a handful of tokens and not being able to cash them in unto I rank up my House of Judgement rep. :-0

v106IxY.jpg

Rocketz

The strike was awesome. No extended siege sequences, which is good, given that's what Prison of Elders is all about. Just a fast, hard hitting chase through the ship and a relatively brief but intense fight at the end. Having the boss both make cameos through the strike, and have the damage we do carry over to the end is an improvement over the approach with Omnigul. Only ran it once, but I'm inclined to call it the best strike in the game so far. (And it was nearly all set in new territory, to boot.) My only knock against it comes in the story - it is not tied into the main thread at al, just something that popped up. "Oh, also go kill this unrelated guy." But that's about it as far as criticisms go. Is this added to the strike playlists yet?

I really enjoyed the strike as well. I liked it's use of space and setting it mostly in the ship made it feel more intense. I much enjoyed the
devil walker
fight in this strike because I don't have all the area to run around in from its original version so this felt more exciting.

Also yes, I played the level 28 strike playlist last night and it was the first strike I got so it's in the rotation.

Got an etheric light from nightfall. One more and I could get to 34, or I could use it on a weapon... I'm so overwhelmed by my options. I was so set on upgrading some of my old weapons like Vision of Confluence, but I have these new HoW weapons that have pretty good perks. Got a scout with full auto and firefly that I need level up some more.

Anyways, this week's nightfall was great. The difficulty balance was prefect. It had a good sense of risk and tension without the need (or knowledge) of a cheese method.

I really enjoyed the strike as well. I liked it's use of space and setting it mostly in the ship made it feel more intense. I much enjoyed the
devil walker
fight in this strike because I don't have all the area to run around in from its original version so this felt more exciting.

Also yes, I played the level 28 strike playlist last night and it was the first strike I got so it's in the rotation.

The Walker showing up in that tiny area was rough. But. SO MUCH FUN.

I realize it's ultimately a good thing, but I can't help but feel a little pissy that the Dark Below Crucible maps are free now. That DLC was already overpriced and didn't have enough to it...and now it's an even worse deal because the maps aren't even really a part of it anymore.

Multiplayer maps shouldn't be paid expansions :-/

in other words, activision sucks.

if this was $10 and the maps were free for all, its be a great value. now that we know theyre going to be free soon after, it loses that.

cakely

Played a ton of this last night ... the story missions, the strike, the nightfall and then PoE at 28, 28 and 32.

I'm actually really impressed and I didn't think I would be. Nice job, Bungie. :)

Ambitious

I have played ~850 hours so perhaps I am burnt out. Keep that in mind. Meh frankly the "expansion" has been disappointing. 1 strike, 1st story mission is a strike backward instead of a story mission backward strike, 2nd story mission is a patrol. Def not worth $20 so far imo. However it might be fun at first for newcomer. It's your call but that's how I feel so far.

My hour count must be in the same ballpark, and I'm not even gonna bother checking it out.
A handful of story missions partially in the same old areas, presumably accompanied by moronic lines voiced by some HoW character, Skirmish with a slightly modified rule set and this horde morde thingy? Yeah, no thanks.

Holy fuck.

Played Prison of Elders for the first time ever just now, the regular level 28 matchmaking version.

Opened the huge chest at the very end.

HAWKMOON

...I am going to play this more often.
Fixed for my experience. And yeah, I definitely need more arena time in my future.

GhaleonEB

devil walker

Hah, I hadn't even checked the strike playlists. I don't recall reading Bungie talking about adding a playlist and didn't see it in the patch notes, so I don't bother checking. D'oh. Thanks!

Conquering the lvl 34 PoE last night was more fun than all of the times I went cheesing Crota's End. I didn't think I'd be so enthralled with an end game horde mode... But... Here we are.

cakely

My hour count must be in the same ballpark, and I'm not even gonna bother checking it out.
A handful of story missions partially in the same old areas, presumably accompanied by moronic lines voiced by some HoW character, Skirmish with a slightly modified rule set and this horde morde thingy? Yeah, no thanks.

It really is better than you're making it out to be, but I'm not going to try and convince you.

Do the Wanted Bounty targets for the Queen randomly show up in the specified location?

Or is it on a timer?

I've been by Forgotten shore for ages trying to hunt down Drevis.

Z3M0G

So what do I need to first? By doing he HoW Story missions first, will finishing these unlock something?

Yes, it will unlock Prison of Elders. The Strike will also unlock before you are done all the story missions.

Do the Wanted Bounty targets for the Queen randomly show up in the specified location?

Or is it on a timer?

Location is always the same (this week at least, maybe they will change weekly?)

I encountered the rocket launcher dudes on Forgotten Shore near the far end of it, but when I defeated them, nothing else happened... must have been a bug or something. Or they were out for too long. There were no other players around at the time.

Or is it on a timer?

Drevis appeared for me after the random Wolves event, which spawns near the entrance to Forgotten Shore (coming from Mothyard). She runs into a cave and I fought her in there.

weevles

I've run the first four story missions, the strike, and the associated bounties up to that point.

It's all pretty great.

First, I was surprised at how much territory is still being reused. The first three missions are entirely in old spaces. That said, I was also surprised at how well they were used. Not only running them in reverse to change things up, but encounters that felt like they took full advantage of the spaces. On two missions they played and felt so different I didn't realize I was in familiar territory until halfway through. Pretty good work on optimizing existing geometry.

Agreed. Very clever/shrewd use of the existing assets. It's definitely appreciated the time and effort spent to make these same areas feel new, despite the fact that we've run through them over and over and over, although how much of it is that very fact that we run through the same areas and the same enemy scenarios that we've trained ourselves to only see the levels a certain way, I dunno....

Also, I was very pleased to receive a couple of purples right out of the blocks. My hunter went from 26-28 in an instant and it felt good considering I had been stuck on 26 for a little while now.

Location is always the same (this week at least, maybe they will change weekly?)

I encountered the rocket launcher dudes on Forgotten Shore near the far end of it, but when I defeated them, nothing else happened... must have been a bug or something. Or they were out for too long. There were no other players around at the time.

Drevis appeared for me after the random Wolves event, which spawns near the entrance to Forgotten Shore (coming from Mothyard). She runs into a cave and I fought her in there.

Thanks guys.

I got the pack of Wolves prowling and then scattered message which I guess means I missed my chance.

Will keep an eye out for high level enemies when that text pops up again.

meanspartan

Mostly liking it. But that "new quest" that was just a patrol was pretty fucking lame and clearly there to pad out the new content count.

GhaleonEB

Agreed. Very clever/shrewd use of the existing assets. It's definitely appreciated the time and effort spent to make these same areas feel new, despite the fact that we've run through them over and over and over, although how much of it is that very fact that we run through the same areas and the same enemy scenarios that we've trained ourselves to only see the levels a certain way, I dunno....

Also, I was very pleased to receive a couple of purples right out of the blocks. My hunter went from 26-28 in an instant and it felt good considering I had been stuck on 26 for a little while now.

You had a similar experience as my friend did last night. He was level 26 (had stopped playing back in November time frame); we ran his initial bounties and one of the ether chests gave him a legendary engram for a chest piece. He vaulted from 26 (nearly 27) to 28, and was ecstatic. Not having to level it to be at max light level was such a good update.

Another good change was making it so legendary engrams actually convert to legendary or better gear; no more shards, IIRC. Every one I've cashed in so far has been decent gear. Before odds were good he'd still be at 26, but two shards richer. Bungie is definitely figuring out how to balance RNG vs. grind much more effectively.

Mostly liking it. But that "new quest" that was just a patrol was pretty fucking lame and clearly there to pad out the new content count.
While that might be true I think of Destiny is, at its heart about public events and the various ways that squads and players cross paths in those open spaces. I think we've only gotten small tastes of that though, and Bungie seems to be layering more gameplay elements on top, making these spaces more difficult, more lucrative and more social in the process.

My only hang-up is in understanding what Bungie means to communicate by using the convention of marking low level enemies as grey. In other games that would mean that those enemies are a waste of time to fight, offering no real rewards because they're tuned for lower level players. Not in Destiny though - as the game continues to ask high level players to take on these units through bounties and patrols and now even in story missions. And its not like the lowbie bad guys are all complete push-overs - because of the way damage works across levels those greys can still be a danger.

So yeah, I guess I see a lot of promise in the public spaces and public events, but I don't get how that fits with a normal MMO con system like we have here. It keeps giving me mixed signals, though Destiny does that a lot.

Z3M0G

Oh come on... it took like 3 minutes if you go to the right spot on the moon...

People complaining about this must NOT have played the complete joke crap that were the TDB "missions"... it was all this kind of crap.

The PoE missions are FANTASTIC in comparison. This one little task of collecting 25 drops was not that big of a deal.

Context: I've been very upset with Destiny since launch. Never touched a Raid or any other non-matchmade content. TDB DLC was a major disappointment. But this DLC is really saving the game for me so far.

The PoE missions are FANTASTIC in comparison. This one little task of collecting 25 drops was not that big of a deal.
You have to get 100 mcguffins, but to ease that process some chests in the area offer up 25 mcguffins each.

You can collect that stuff pretty quickly, but in the cases where it takes a while at least players can also take on the Wolves and the other public events and cash in from those as well.

meanspartan

Oh come on... it took like 3 minutes if you go to the right spot on the moon...

People complaining about this must NOT have played the complete joke crap that were the TDB "missions"... it was all this kind of crap.

I'm not disagreeing. I overall love this expansion so far, and the lack of a raid is only a slight bummer since I only ever did each raid a few times (it was too hard to get a group of friends all on at once, so I just used a subreddit to find groups) and I think I'll get more mileage out of Prison of Elders.

I just felt like that quest was an obvious wart on an otherwise good expansion. Bizarre to have well designed quests and then have one that feels so lazy.

Z3M0G

Seriously how am I meant to know where the hell these random ether key chests spawn after a bounty kill?

Easy. Jump.

All I do is launch in the air and look around. Look for a golden glow. It is never far.

Pro tip:
Grab it and then speed to a different zone, once the zone text appears on your screen turn around and grab the chest again

Z3M0G

There are links online to help in the areas or you could just look for them? :p

I strongly suggest just looking... they are really close and not difficult to find since they give off a large glow. Get high and look around.

Don't ruin every little thing by trying to get the exact answer online...

First time I did one, I had no idea what to do and went online asking "wtf was that about?" Someone explained that a chest appeared in the area and that's all the answer I wanted.

Telling me it was "over to the left, around a crate" (fake) would have pissed me off.

This really puts TDB to shame. Poor Eris. Her material exchange is undercut by the Speaker of all people, her quests done, her bounties mostly ignored for the new hotness. I have a feeling she's going to be very lonely.

She's CRAZY, though. Who doesn't want to visit that?

I'll probably still go do half of her daily quests for the EXP to put into gear, since I still have a subclass on my Titan and Warlock each to complete, but a bunch of exotics and any new stuff I get. Killing Blades, hive with melee and husk shards is easy exp. Plus that 5 bounties in a day bounty.

GhaleonEB

Seriously how am I meant to know where the hell these random ether key chests spawn after a bounty kill?

As has been said, get vertical. The beacon of light that comes out the top is apparent even at great distances. That said, there are a few tucked into more of the of the way places, so it helps to check those first. Over time you'll learn them.

Or, use maps that show the possible locations, such as those at the Destiny public events tracker. In all cases, having others in the area searching helps a great deal, so fan out.
She's CRAZY, though. Who doesn't want to visit that?

I'll probably still go do half of her daily quests for the EXP to put into gear, since I still have a subclass on my Titan and Warlock each to complete, but a bunch of exotics and any new stuff I get. Killing Blades, hive with melee and husk shards is easy exp. Plus that 5 bounties in a day bounty.

True. I'll still check her for what I call the incidental bounties - things I'll get for just playing anyways. Completing Nightfall, arc/solar kills, husk shards, etc.

I strongly suggest just looking... they are really close and not difficult to find since they give off a large glow. Get high and look around.

First time I did one, I had no idea what to do and went online asking "wtf was that about?" Someone explained that a chest appeared in the area and that's all the answer I wanted.

Telling me it was "over to the left, around a crate" (fake) would have pissed me off.

They might be close in areas like the Citadel, Ember Caves and Skywatch, but god knows how many times I missed the chest on the forgotten shore. :(

Does etheric light drop on 28 PoE or do you have to be play 32 and above for it to drop?

It drops only on 34 and 35 I think. 32 nets you an Armor Core that will get you closer to level 34.

I had a hard time too until I knew what they looked like - haven't missed one since.

Just make sure you're on your sparrow and moving as soon after finishing off the Wolves as you can. If you find the chest first, point at it a few times so other players in the zone will know to look for your name an find the chest - otherwise look to the text to see if other players are pointing/dancing or otherwise grabbing people's attention and look for their names in the world - that's probably where the chest is.

SkylineRKR

This really puts TDB to shame. Poor Eris. Her material exchange is undercut by the Speaker of all people, her quests done, her bounties mostly ignored for the new hotness. I have a feeling she's going to be very lonely.

She has been shit since 4 weeks after release or so. I was 32 and didn't even need to trade radiant.

But I did keep picking those ridiculously easy bounties like kill 10 hive majors with class item or 15 sword kills. They work great in combo with hive major and melee vanguard bounties. Pretty much free XP.

SkylineRKR

If those chest location don't change, i'd advise on staying in one location only.

I did Skywatch and after an hour or so I knew all 4(?) spawns. 2 close to heli's, on on roof on other side of area and other at fence next to entrance (this one I prefer since traveling to lunar complex is really short).

Once you exactly know where to look, you'll probably grab at least 2 every time. dying/suicide resets your key i found out, couldn't open it anymore lol.

hydruxo

All chest locations

If you're looking to farm them, I'd recommend the two on Venus (Ember Caves & Citadel). There are 4 spots that the chest can spawn in each of those locations and they're all visible from where you are when you kill the bounty boss. Citadel especially is easy since you're up on top and you can see the whole area around you. It takes a bit to memorize where they show up at but once you know where the chests are able to spawn, finding the chests is pretty simple.

So I bought the Expansion 1 DLC, but didn't get to take advantage of ANY of the content. I didn't do the new missions because I hadn't the opportunity to do the RAID from the vanilla game. I still haven't done the raid, I'm at a lvl 24, I don't much like the PVP game (I thought the game would be more like old Halo PvP with vehicles and large maps), and i'm kind of stuck . If I want more co-op stuff, is this HoW Expansion II going to 1. be worthwhile, and 2. allow me to play since I'm so low level? What do I need to do to meet the minimum requirement without feeling like I"m grinding, which is what it started to feel like I was doing in the vanilla game which is why I stopped playing.

I'm not disagreeing. I overall love this expansion so far, and the lack of a raid is only a slight bummer since I only ever did each raid a few times (it was too hard to get a group of friends all on at once, so I just used a subreddit to find groups) and I think I'll get more mileage out of Prison of Elders.

I just felt like that quest was an obvious wart on an otherwise good expansion. Bizarre to have well designed quests and then have one that feels so lazy.

That quest was there to give you a decent opportunity to play around with your brand new sidearm.

That's all it was. Because Bungie wanted you to play with your new toy, and if it sent you on a mission, some of us that have our comfort zone load-outs wouldn't have even bothered.
in other words, activision sucks.

if this was $10 and the maps were free for all, its be a great value. now that we know theyre going to be free soon after, it loses that.

This is a Bungie philosophy, not an Activision one. Bungie always wanted the most second most recent map pack to be free. That's why Heroic went free after Legendary came out for Halo 3. This was the plan until Microsoft stepped in and wanted to keep charging for it.

Personally, I love the idea of maps becoming free because it does great things for map variety in the standard playlists. I hate having DLC-only playlists.

McArkus

So I bought the Expansion 1 DLC, but didn't get to take advantage of ANY of the content. I didn't do the new missions because I hadn't the opportunity to do the RAID from the vanilla game. I still haven't done the raid, I'm at a lvl 24, I don't much like the PVP game (I thought the game would be more like old Halo PvP with vehicles and large maps), and i'm kind of stuck . If I want more co-op stuff, is this HoW Expansion II going to 1. be worthwhile, and 2. allow me to play since I'm so low level? What do I need to do to meet the minimum requirement without feeling like I"m grinding, which is what it started to feel like I was doing in the vanilla game which is why I stopped playing.

I went directly form vanilla to this expansion 2, The dark below is bare bones compared to HoW, also it improves a lot of the mechanics to level up, with vanguard and crucible marks you can reach level 32 very quickly, also, the missions are better now.

Different strokes, but I disagree. Especially for Forgotten Shores. I suggest looking up a video or map of where they can possibly spawn. Don't obsess over learning those spots, just commit a few to memory. Then you'll have a decent idea of how to scout around for them. You'll still have to ride around the map (or jump or whatever) to find the chest and that's the real thrill. Well, that racing to try and 2x/3x dip the chests.

This is a Bungie philosophy, not an Activision one. Bungie always wanted the most second most recent map pack to be free. That's why Heroic went free after Legendary came out for Halo 3. This was the plan until Microsoft stepped in and wanted to keep charging for it.

Personally, I love the idea of maps becoming free because it does great things for map variety in the standard playlists. I hate having DLC-only playlists.

I agree that, ultimately, it's better but there's a childish part of me that's still a little salty about having paid for them. I'm sure I'll get over it.

Socat

That quest was there to give you a decent opportunity to play around with your brand new sidearm.

That's all it was. Because Bungie wanted you to play with your new toy, and if it sent you on a mission, some of us that have our comfort zone load-outs wouldn't have even bothered.

I personally loved the sidearm. I hope that they make more

JMizzlin

Jumped on at the daily reset last night to find more Petra bounties to get my queen rank up but they didn't seen to refresh? Will there be no further bounties with Petra once you've completed them?

What's the best way to get my Queens Wrath rank up?

Top Bottom