• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny on PC is a game changer

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Uhm...did you ever play Destiny? It's one of the best feeling shooters I've ever played. That's what was so gratifying about it.

did you ever played something like Quake 3/Live with a good PC, unlocked framerate (meaning 500+fps) and mouse&kb? because if you did and still think that has even similar feeling, well...

I was thinking on grabbing this for the Xbox but I might save a little and finally plunge into a gaming PC and sell my consoles instead. :/ It's something that has been on my mind lately.

giphy.gif

Nabbis

I have yet to try it since the open beta is, well, not open yet. But i very much doubt the PC version is fixing the design/content problems. A fps game playing on PC like it's supposed to feels better than playing on the consoles, who knew.

Damn, not building a new computer till next year. And my friends would be on ps4. Friends with this game kinda take precident.

Padinn

It is impressive. I played for about 2.5 hours just now. I have a 1080 (2.05/10800) and a 6700k (4.5) and it runs over 100fps at max settings, pretty frequently locked at 120. It also has a render scale option, I put it up to 200%, I get about 40fps that way (this would be in 4k). It looks and runs very well.

Some lag issues, but overall an impressive start.

Crayon

Sounds great. Unfortunately, it's my casual friends who roped me into this game and I bet you can guess where I'll be playing it.

Alex

How are load times on PC? They were (in regards to the original game) a fucking disaster on PS4, made me not want to play most of the time.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I honestly couldn't get into Destiny 1 on PS4 Pro due to how it felt to play at 30 FPS. Playing the Destiny 2 beta on PC at 144 FPS is absolutely amazing.

funcojoe

Now imagine that this is the same for all games across the board. Why is console gaming a thing still?

Cause it's easier to go to GameStop grab a copy of destiny 2, come home pop it in the console and play.

Pc gaming will always be a niche market for guys who have the money for sick rigs and enjoy gaming in the pc experience.

Me I'm more comfortable playing in a console enviorment and so are all my friends. I'm 38 and have the income for a nice pc, I just am to used to console gaming at this point.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Almost bought a high end laptop for this but ended up just making a mobile 4k HDR set up for my consoles. As much as I love destiny that almost 2 month wait would kill me, and destiny isn't a game I like to start over.

Wait really? It supports controller and mouse?

Edit: Oh hotswap. yeah.

I got excited by the concept of using a move controller for movement while also using a mouse.

No, Controller + Mouse is exactly what I meant. I have no idea what hotswap is lol.

So does it support C+M?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Now imagine that this is the same for all games across the board. Why is console gaming a thing still?

Don't you know how insanely complicated Personal Computers are? Like, people-get-paid-hundreds-of-thousands-of-dollars-to-work-on-them complicated.

It's no wonder the console market is capitalizing and thriving on this barrier to entry. Good on them!

Wallach

How are load times on PC? They were a fucking disaster on PS4, made me not want to play most of the time.

I'd guess about 80% faster loading than the PS4 beta. I have about 25% left on my upload of the entire first mission if you want to see it uncut from character select all the way through for yourself.

Mozendo

How are load times on PC? They were a fucking disaster on PS4, made me not want to play most of the time.

Super quick. Haven it on a 7200RPM HDD and it's less than 7 seconds of loading.
I wouldn't install it on a SSD though, from what I can tell it's like Battlefield where it waits for everyone to be loading in so it's pretty much a waste.

What time does the open beta go live tomorrow? Will there be a pre-load?

Sorry, I only just found out that there was an open beta coming.

Kill3r7

Apparently playing a FPS with m+kb at 60fps is a game changer. One of my buddies is trying to get all of us to switch to PC. It is definitely tempting,

mxgt

Banned
Pc gaming will always be a niche market for guys who have the money for sick rigs and enjoy gaming in the pc experience.

Yeah nah, not anymore.

PC gaming is more popular than it's ever been.

This game will sell extremely well on PC.

def sim

Yeah, I can wait the month for this version.

I couldn't convince all of the people I played the first with to build a pc, but enough switched over. 👌🏻

Now everyone knows why I lost my shit at E3, when I played the PC demo. No looking back at the console versions once you touch it.

All the hackers are going to ruin it though and I don't have the time to mess with drivers and shit...

Seriously though, I will probably pick it up on release.

What about performance, what could a i7 16g ram gtx1060 achieves ?

I'm going to be testing my GTX 1060 rig shortly. It has the following specs:

Ryzen 5 1600
16GB DDR4
GTX 1060.

CPU wasn't the much of an issue on my main PC, we'll see what happens on the lower end of the spectrum.

All the hackers are going to ruin it though and I don't have the time to mess with drivers and shit...

Ths is why Blizzard and Bungie are trying to stop anything that has to hook into the game.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Its time to delete your consoles and get PC.

No way you can play this on a PC and play that 30fps trash anymore.

Changes the entire dynamic of the game. Mindbogglingly good.

Also Ultrawide.

31 total posts. You must really pick and choose your drive by posts huh?

Ah number of posts, the ultimate measure of a man. The first thing I do when I see a post I disagree with it is sleuth into their profile and see how many posts they've made. Really puts things into perspective for me. I sure can make an accurate judgement with that figure.

Seriously though, I still have my consoles for exclusives but it's tough seeing PC ports neutered to match the console experience.

Cause it's easier to go to GameStop grab a copy of destiny 2, come home pop it in the console and play.

That's hardly even a thing anymore. You're also installing and updating on consoles these days. Even worse than PC now that you are at the mercy of hardware that was dated the moment it came out.

For what it's worth...

(And just as a disclaimer, though I'm basically just a console gamer now, I still actually consider myself a PC gamer, and I basically grew up through the 90s/00s as a hardcore PC gamer, and usually still use it as the 'standard' for user interface...) (I add this to avoid my post being taken either as too pro- any platform.)

The couple times I did try Destiny -- and I had lots of fun, don't get me wrong -- on PS4, I couldn't help but quit because I felt like there's no way I could put MMO esque hours into a game that I felt deserved to be played with a mouse.

Again, totally cool as a console game -- I play games exclusively on consoles this days, almost for 4-5 years. So I'm very pro consoles lol. But the only way I personally could play Destiny would be on PC.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

Getting flash back of the Division....

How bad is hacking on Blizards service? Guess I did hear bad thing with over watch.

Tagyhag

I mean, the game is vastly improved with the PC version but it's not really a game changer.

Either you like the core of the game or not, and extra features isn't going to change that.

120v

i never had a problem with destiny 30 fps... even as a primary PC gamer

playing the beta right now at about 100 fps. and, i mean yeah, it's surely an improved experience but i'm not awestruck or anything. destiny unlike say doom or quake you're usually making a lot of long distance calculations through spanning corridors and such. like any shooter you want the highest fps possible but it still feels like the same game to me

that said i'll never play destiny on console again. regardless if that's what my buds play on

Top Bottom