• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announce trailers, gameplay trailers, release dates

Was thinking if I could see a pattern in Sony's marketing strategy to see if we can predict when games are likely to released based on when we see an announce trailer or teaser and gameplay trailer.

TitleAnnounce Trailer or non-Teaser TrailerRelease DateTime from Announce Trailer
Helldivers 2May 24th, 2023February 8th, 20248 months 15 days
Rise of the RoninSeptember 13th, 2022March 22nd, 20241 year, 5 months, 9 days
Stellar BladeSeptember 9th, 2021April 26th, 20242 years, 7 months, and 17 days
Until Dawn (Remake)January 31st, 20242024less than 11 months
Death Stranding 2January 31st, 20242025Less than 2 years
ConcordMay 24, 20232024Less than 1 year, 7 months

What I've taken from this is there is no method to their madness that I can perceive. I think they're just showing games when they feel like they're ready to show something, but in the case of a game like Stellar Blade, that doesn't mean the game is close to release.

One trend I think we've seen though is that Stellar Blade was announced in 2021, where maybe Sony felt they needed to show more titles earlier. Similar with Rise of the Ronin. It seems like now everything from that May 2023 showcase is releasing within a year if not just slightly over. The biggest exception being Marathon which got delayed.

Based on that I'd guess that Concord is probably a Q2 game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
yQVmT5.gif

Was thinking if I could see a pattern in Sony's marketing strategy to see if we can predict when games are likely to released based on when we see an announce trailer or teaser and gameplay trailer.

TitleAnnounce Trailer or non-Teaser TrailerRelease DateTime from Announce Trailer
Helldivers 2May 24th, 2023February 8th, 20248 months 15 days
Rise of the RoninSeptember 13th, 2022March 22nd, 20241 year, 5 months, 9 days
Stellar BladeSeptember 9th, 2021April 26th, 20242 years, 7 months, and 17 days
Until Dawn (Remake)January 31st, 20242024less than 11 months
Death Stranding 2January 31st, 20242025Less than 2 years
ConcordMay 24, 20232024Less than 1 year, 7 months

What I've taken from this is there is no method to their madness that I can perceive. I think they're just showing games when they feel like they're ready to show something, but in the case of a game like Stellar Blade, that doesn't mean the game is close to release.

One trend I think we've seen though is that Stellar Blade was announced in 2021, where maybe Sony felt they needed to show more titles earlier. Similar with Rise of the Ronin. It seems like now everything from that May 2023 showcase is releasing within a year if not just slightly over. The biggest exception being Marathon which got delayed.

Based on that I'd guess that Concord is probably a Q2 game.
Maybe base your timeline on the gap between the announced launch date & actual one.

Sony said about 2 years ago that while they might announce faves, they won’t give release windows until they’re sure they can hit them.

Elios83

I don't think it's possible to extract a general rule because different titles have been clearly handled differently but in general the announcement-to-release cycle has shortened and even marketing tends to be focused in the 6-12 months before release.

elmos-acc

What may be noteworthy is that Concord is the only title by a Sony-owned studio. Wolverine, Fairgame$ and Marathon do not yet have release dates at all.

Perrott

Gold Member
I agree in that it seems hard to find a pattern.

Closest thing to one would be that their remasters are unveiled less than three months away from launch (two months being the average), while remakes are usually announced around half a year in advance.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Cool, but looking forward to Retro Studios' Metroid Prime 4 the most though (on Switch, but coming to Switch 2 maybe)

Their only recognizable pattern is randomness.

Not only announcements on game releases but also overall communication, it feels as if nobody is in charge. We don't know what most of Playstation Studios are working on. The majority of their posts are about eating contests and self-reassurance.

nial

Gold Member
Their smaller games are announced just a few months before release, remember that Helldivers 2 was originally set for late 2023.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Seems like they decided a long time ago to not show games that are 2 years out. Puts unnecessary pressure and expectation on the dev teams.

Top Bottom