• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny on PC is a game changer

Getting flash back of the Division....

How bad is hacking on Blizards service? Guess I did hear bad thing with over watch.

Division was a problem because they stored lots of stuff client side, was it not? Destiny does all the important stuff server side so hacking will be much less of an issue.

Many many MMO games (including another very popular one on battle.net) function just fine on PC without hacking.

I have played online games on PC for half my life and I don't ever experience this hacking nightmare that I hear about on forums. I'm convinced it's mostly just FUD.

funcojoe

Yeah nah, not anymore.

PC gaming is more popular than it's ever been.

This game will sell extremely well on PC.

Let's see what the sales numbers are for console vs pc within the first few months.

I just find it hard to believe anyone but a very small segment of the gaming population overall really have the capability to play this game at the best settings a pc can afford vs the console market.

Listen I'm extremely jealous that pc guys get to play at 4k 60fps, especially the higher frame rates but that's always a given with pc gaming. I'm no debating that the best you'll get the game to look is on pc, I've known and accepted that for a long time. I just grew up on consoles, from Atari on, and I never felt comfort gaming on a pc, and none of my circle of friends through life have either.

I don't understand how anyone can not call pc gaming niche compared to the rest of the market? Looking at sales, trends, it's just impossible.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I mean, the game is vastly improved with the PC version but it's not really a game changer.

Either you like the core of the game or not, and extra features isn't going to change that.

It as a game changer in many ways.

I can see the meta and progression being very different but the responsiveness of the game do completely change the basics and fundamental systems of the core gameplay.

Same tired/boring/lazy arguments about PC. This game is going to sell a boatload on PC especially if the performance is good (which it looks like it is).

wetalo

I don't understand how anyone can not call pc gaming niche compared to the rest of the market? Looking at sales, trends, it's just impossible.

I dunno about you but most of my friends played Simcity or Rollercoaster Tycoon or Age of Empires/Starcraft/Diablo/Warcraft/Unreal Tournament etc. growing up.

Even if they primarily gamed on console, almost all of my friends played at least one PC-exclusive while growing up.

Division was a problem because they stored lots of stuff client side, was it not? Destiny does all the important stuff server side so hacking will be much less of an issue.

Many many MMO games (including another very popular one on battle.net) function just fine on PC without hacking.

I have played online games on PC for half my life and I don't ever experience this hacking nightmare that I hear about on forums. I'm convinced it's mostly just FUD.

Yes unfortunately Division was doomed from the start because it was designed to be played on console and they made no changes to the PC port. Just another reason why a console centric designed game hinders the PC community.

Dartastic

I just hate that there isn't cross play or at the least cross saves. Most of the people who are going to be playing this with me are almost certainly going to be on PS4, so that's probably where I'm going to be stuck playing. :(

Mesoian

No, Controller + Mouse is exactly what I meant. I have no idea what hotswap is lol.

So does it support C+M?

People are telling me it works the same way it does in Overwatch, and if that's the case, then no, it won't work, as the moment you switch from gamepad support to kb/m, it swaps the entire control scheme to whatever is active at the moment. It's a hotswapping of controls, but you can't play using two different control schemes at once, not without pretty significant input delay as it switches over.

You may be able to fool your system into treating all gamepads as one thing using something like xpadder, but it doesn't seem like you'll be able to do it out of the box.

Head.spawn

Hdr>resolution bumps

Although i would trade hdr for the 60fps

781.png

Mupod

if there's one thing that will make it impossible to go back to the PS4 version it'll be the FOV. I was able to live with the gamepad controls and 30 fps. But the FOV, especially in crucible, was absolutely maddening.

so happy to hear it's a good version of the game, sucks I gotta wait though. Yakuza Kiwami should keep me busy a while at least.

Rizific

co-signing that. this whole misconception that every lobby in a mp pc game is riddled with hakcers is fucking bullshit usually spewed from someone who has probably not spent much time on pc.
the worlds largest gaming platform, is now niche. welp.

Let's see what the sales numbers are for console vs pc within the first few months.

I just find it hard to believe anyone but a very small segment of the gaming population overall really have the capability to play this game at the best settings a pc can afford vs the console market.

You dont have to play it at the very best settings. PC never is or was about that. The simple act of playing any game with mouse and keyboard makes a PC worthwile. That alone.

Couple M/Kb gameplaying with the feeling of 60 frames or more and you get the infinitely better experience than consoles. Even if you're playing on low settings - those are just visual benefits. M/Kb and 60 frames are gameplay benefits

Mesoian

Listen I'm extremely jealous that pc guys get to play at 4k 60fps, especially the higher frame rates but that's always a given with pc gaming. I'm no debating that the best you'll get the game to look is on pc, I've known and accepted that for a long time. I just grew up on consoles, from Atari on, and I never felt comfort gaming on a pc, and none of my circle of friends through life have either.

I mean PUBG alone sort of blows this mindset out of the water.

Cross Platform games aside, the PC has it's million, 5 million and 10 million sellers, just like consoles do. You're forgetting that most of the time, until the past 2 or 3 years, PC ports were usually still junk because publishers didn't want to exert energy and funds into making them viable. Things are different now, to the point where console owners are buying timed exclusiveness to get as many console sales as they can within the first 90 days so they don't have to be compared to often dramatically superior PC ports.

zabuni

LOLOLOLOL No hacking in WoW, really? Then I want to have whatever item lets me fly underground and pick resource nodes. And just like WoW, all movement will be done client side.

funcojoe

You mean like PUBG that is the best selling game of the year on any single platform?

Where are you getting these numbers , twitch

None of my friends even know what twitch is? I have grade school kids who play nothing but switch, minecraft and roblox on Xbox one.

Every kid through my family, newphews, friends of them, cousins, all of them are on console.

The only time I see anyone talk pc gaming is on gaming forums, which we know isn't the majority.

I'm not gonna argue anymore, I'm just saying in North America consoles are the go to market for gaming.

Mindlog

I've never seen it at this level before. Many people have preferred PC in the past, but it seems to be unanimous on every stream from Destiny vets.

Tecnniqe

Banned

None of my friends even know what twitch is? I have grade school kids who play nothing but switch, minecraft and roblox on Xbox one.

Every kid through my family, newphews, friends of them, cousins, all of them are on console.

The only time I see anyone talk pc gaming is on gaming forums, which we know isn't the majority.

I'm not gonna argue anymore, I'm just saying in North America consoles are the go to market for gaming.

2/10

Low effort

lol how have you not seen one of the numerous PUBG threads on the first page, i'm actually kind of impressed

http://metro.co.uk/2017/08/28/playe...7s-best-selling-single-platform-game-6883879/

Over 7 million sales in a few months, with 877k concurrent players on steam. You are sorely sorely mistaken about the state of PC gaming, but you do you.

Tagyhag

It as a game changer in many ways.

I can see the meta and progression being very different but the responsiveness of the game do completely change the basics and fundamental systems of the core gameplay.

I agree that it might deviate and maybe they'll do separate patches like they did with Overwatch.

But just like Overwatch, you can play both versions of the game and think "Yep, this is the same game".

UberLevi

I think more people are picking up PC gaming because younger people who grew up with access to the internet their whole life are more familiar with computers as gaming devices. I'm 22 and most of my friends around the same age who play video games have at least a decent rig. About twenty people I went to college with use Steam (that I know of) and most of them are familiar with other services like Origin and Battle.net. Plus, Destiny 2 seems like a really stable PC game anyways. I was surprised to see it run so smoothly at such high settings on my computer. I don't think PC gaming is nearly as hard to get into nowadays and so I actually expect Destiny 2 to have a large PC community.

Youngfossil

Neo Member

anecdotal evidence. Oh wow....

Tecnniqe

Banned
I agree that it might deviate and maybe they'll do separate patches like they did with Overwatch.

But just like Overwatch, you can play both versions of the game and think "Yep, this is the same game".

Patches for console are tailored for that and patches for PC are tailored for the PC.

The content is said to be releasing at the same time on all platforms, even when worked on separately.

I'm torn about what platform to buy it on.... I've got pro's and con's for each.

In terms of consoles I have a PS4 pro, not sure what res that will run at but I know it's locked to 30fps. Locked fov is a big downside here but I'm also a decent distance back from my 4KTV. Friends on PS4 is a big plus, no one other than me has a pc. Plus it's out next week...

On PC I've got a decent rig (gtx 1080) so if I dropped a few settings I could probably run 60fps/4K. Biggest downsides are lack of real friends and a bloody month and a half late. Oh yeah I only play with a controller too so I'll get smoked in pvp....

People are telling me it works the same way it does in Overwatch, and if that's the case, then no, it won't work, as the moment you switch from gamepad support to kb/m, it swaps the entire control scheme to whatever is active at the moment. It's a hotswapping of controls, but you can't play using two different control schemes at once, not without pretty significant input delay as it switches over.

You may be able to fool your system into treating all gamepads as one thing using something like xpadder, but it doesn't seem like you'll be able to do it out of the box.

Well dang. That rules this game out for me then. I am really bummed now if that is true.

I guess it's back to warframe where that control scheme works magnificently.

I just can't get used to keyboard controls.

I've been hip firing 24/7 and didn't feel like I lost anything

Hip fire is incredibly inaccurate in comparison. Especially on the more precision orientated weapons.

Well dang. That rules this game out for me then. I am really bummed now if that is true.

Can't you just use xpadder or something to map the controller to WASD (plus whatever other key presses you want).

I used to do this with a Playstation move nav controller, plus mouse, it was a nice setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVQE0fekdds

Please stop, it's getting embarrassing. You're using a classic argument from ignorance.

Swarna

Assuming you're being genuine, you live in a bubble. Step outside of your friend circles, NeoGAF and GameFAQs and you'll see a world previously hidden to you. All of my friends play on PC by default, even the ones that were primarily console gamers (including me) growing up as kids. PUBG requires a decently beefy PC (worse performance than Destiny 2 on an equal spec machine) and hit 8 million in sales in a few months. The PC audience has divergent interests and tastes from the console audience so comparisons with respect to typical console blockbusters like CoD and Battlefield are ill-formed. I don't think D2 PC will sell as well as on PS4 but it's not necessarily damning evidence of PC being niche taking everything into account (it's designed for consoles with that reliance on ADS, 1.5 month delay, first title in the series on PC, etc.). Even little kids and teens these days aspire to make money and build their own PC's when they currently can't afford it. Look at Youtube, Twitch, social media in general, and the types of games dominating in these avenues and what platforms they're on and it'll give you a good indication.

Symbiotx

Generally, ADS is something that is primarily associated with console shooters. To some extent it can be seen as a crutch for an input device not really suited for accurate and rapid aiming.

Thanks. As a console player who lives ADS, weird to think about playing Destiny hip firing everything. There's always at least zoom. Whatever floats your boat i guess.

What about something like the razer orbweaver:

razer-orbweaver-chroma-800x800-2.png

Has thumb stick you can map to movement.

funcojoe

Please stop, it's getting embarrassing. You're using a classic argument from ignorance.

I'm done. I tried to not use ignorance, but I'm too lazy to dig up numbers and such.

It's more of a personal belief that there's no way pc gaming is more popular then console in N America that's all.

Remember when Overwatch barely sold anything on PC?

Good times.

Little niche market.

*Pats head*

I'm done. I tried to not use ignorance, but I'm too lazy to dig up numbers and such.

It's more of a personal belief that there's no way pc gaming is more popular then console in N America that's all.

You said it was niche. Big difference.

Mesoian

This thing si too much fucking money but god damn, I want one.

I mean, that is an incredibly weird thing to say when almost all of the eleagues for PC games are on prime time television while no console games outside of the FGC make it to mass market consumption.

It's fine if YOU don't care about it. I didn't care until I built a really nice system around 6 years ago. But the popularity is out there. Like it or hate it, PUBG will probably be the best selling video game of 2017, a year that is RIFE with AMAZING console exclusives.

Ask your kids what system their favorite streamers are on. I can almost guarantee that, unless their into the FGC, everyone they want daily will be using a PC and the only reason why they're on console is because it's the easiest option for people buying the video games (ie you and yours).

They may be on console, but they KNOW about the PC gaming scene. But as countless people in this thread have pointed out, people go where their friends are and it's hard to get people to invest in a new system, especially with the fuckery being done with graphics cards pricing right now.

Mudcrab

What about your prankster uncle? What's he up to?

That looks cool but not nearly as comfortable to hold as something like my Elite controller. And the thumbstick probably isn't as accurate as a joystick on a controller since it is probably going to just be mapping wasd to it anyway and you aren't going to get the same granular movement. It would be a good compromise though for sure and I'd love to try it.

Either way, I don't have the money right now to be trying out all kinds of setups unfortunately since we are in the process of moving. :/

Top Bottom