• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

geordiemp

Our ridiculous expectations? Check out this preview by Kotaku:

There's a sandy Mars location and a snowy landscape of a buried city. Chicago is a swampland. Europe is a deadzone. Vines wrap around dilapidated buildings. The solar system is flecked with rubble and long abandoned fleets. You can fly through the rings of Saturn. The entire universe of Destiny—the solar system including the Earth, Moon, and Mars—is open to your expedition needs.

Please, tell us more about how having this vision shrunken down to five maps is our problem.

Nailed it - all the press previews hyped how big this game was going to be....

Press and Bungie gave the impression that Earth was at least 3 locations - Russia / Europe and USA

It does not sit right.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
He straight up says the reason he doesn't go down there is in the interest of time. That it's actually possible to go there is the only reasonable interpretation.

And it's not just the mountains, there are other structures in that landscape and in Old Russia itself that immediately attract your interest: sunk ships, other towers, etc. But as soon as you try to find a path, you are immediately met by a cliff of death. Often times, it's not even obvious that you will die when you jump down. Neither are most cliffs high, nor is water inherently lethal, but you die nonetheless. It's so artificial and it destroys all feeling of vastness and exploration, but that feeling was clearly what they were alluding to in that demo. The Beta only has middle-sized areas with linear tunnels connecting them. There is no real traveling and pathfinding.

I don't have a problem with the game as it is, but I definitely expected more exploration and open-world-ness

The GAF rage on NMS is going to be epic.

Nah, you can actually walk around the entire planet and into the caves and into the oceans, then fly out into space and go to space stations and hunt pirates and fight against fleets of ships.

And you also give up your assault rifle for an awesome multi-tool device.

Now if the actual game ships and none of that is possible, then you might have the same type of reaction.

And just for the record, again, I LOVE DESTINY. I will buy this game. I will grind these same 4 f'in areas and take SHARE photos of the skyboxes and enjoy the sunsets and just take it all in, loving every second of it. But yeh, the original vision and the end product are not close to one another.

Perhaps someday, when this game ships and they sell 12,000,000 copies and make cajillions of dollars, Destiny 2 will be that original vision. They have the groundwork here, the gameplay system, the controls, the armor/weapon designs, the skill trees, etc.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
i'm sorry but this is just ridiculous at this point, this thread has snowballed out of control with hyperbole, panic and misinformation.

People are acting like they are getting a 720p game that cost $300 and the online is broken beyond repair, with bugs, screen tearing and other horrible stuff.

It's sad and frustrating to read.

Yeah, this really disappointed me. They made it sound like the areas would be massive, open and fully explorable. Instead, you only get to explore a tiny fraction of what you can see. Old Russia gives off the illusion of a vast expanse ready to explore, but the moment you actually try you're greeted by invisible walls and death triggers. Really bugged me how artificially restricted your movement is.

Yeah, that's almost Fable/Spore levels of promise/actual. That was one of the main selling points for me on the game a while back. They basically that anything you could see you could go to and yet one of the very first things I experienced in this game was not being able to go to places I wanted to go. They have very aggressive invisible walls in this game, and I'm not just talking about the areas blocked off due to beta.

Theyre not even natural stopping points. Places I could easily get to alive auto-kill me anyway. I can't even stand on a roof without getting the warning. I feel very limited.
However I always assumed there would be more than one location on each planet. 2 to 3. That would still make it worth it, right? But apparently not. I've just about explored all of earth and its moon already. Two full locations could be done easily in a single play.

Chicago is a swampland. Europe is a deadzone. Vines wrap around dilapidated buildings

That is what we were told by Bungie and press.

Damnit.

It's gunna be a small solar system. I'm just hoping for a good story. If it delivers that I'll be dandy. If not, well...

...while playing an Halo Firefight reduced in scale, AI, level design and gunplay quality. :/

That is what this game is like, isnt it. :/

http://a.pomf.se/vnfhmj.webm To be fair, he probably could have gone down that road for 10 seconds before the game auto killed him.

:(

Just for the record, no it wasn't just one guy that said it. Here is a link where another bungie employee, during another demo at the same e3, said pretty much the same thing -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTfhrONAp-c

Now, either that's an amazing coincidental lie, or more likely, scripted talk for the demo.

Saying that it was all playable space was literally the first thing they showed off. The first thing.
Crying-gifs-10112013-01.gif

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
At this point I'm kinda worried for the game been visually exhausting. My biggest problem with Borderlands is that it was different color deserts. If I'm going to be be in different kinds of deserts and bunkers in Destiny, I won't enjoy the game. Furthermore it worries me how is going to be the DLC approach of Activision. If it is going to be like BF Premimum, I won't buy it. I won't buy a season pass that doubles the cost of the game and is never on sale.
You ever get to actually exploring the moon? There's probably a few vids on it in the other thread.

I don't even know if its a kind of thing that can work on the same premise as BF4's Premium though. I'm really expecting something bigger/'worse' in that regard.
You're not answering, you're just deflecting.

How many people have I quoted other than you?

My biggest issue with the game is that the story mission are all pretty rote. You start the mission in a public zone follow the waypoint to an instance and fight your way to the objective and have your ghost interact with it. Queue wave after wave of enemies, kill them ,and mission over.

first time a public event happened with the sky turning dark and everything, was a bit awe-inducing for me.
....then I proceeded to see the same thing happen in the same place, every single time :(

I at least hope things like this will be addressed in the final.

teokrazia

‘But Old Russia is so boring!’;
Yes, of course Old Russia gets boring when it’s the only thing you do for 20 hours straight. Everything is boring when you do it for 20 hours straight. You won’t be stuck on Earth in the final game, you’re free to constantly go somewhere else to make it feel fresh.

Honestly, I've started to feel bored the second or third time of 40 where I had to decrypt uninteresting blablabla from a terminal while playing an Halo Firefight reduced in scale, AI, level design and gunplay quality. :/

Principate

Saint Titanfall
From what we know about the press event back in Feb, all the press had going for them was Bungie talking about Destiny.

Yeah Bungie seemingly talked a lot of shit I mean it was obvious at the time and most people I don't think even really believed it until the alpha where that changed.

Sakura

I'm sorry guys, but this is just going too far for me. There was talk of something bigger and more ambitious at the reveal and early on when they talked about their vision for the franchise, so some disappointment is understandable, but you should've adjusted your expectations down when they stopped talking about that stuff and when it became clear ( through the trailers and alpha ) that that massive ambition could not be met with the launch version of the first title. Some of you seemed to have ridiculous 'No Man's Sky levels of exploration + World of Warcraft levels of content + multiple Skyrim-sized zones per planet'-expectations, and that's all to blame on yourself.

People shouldn't have to do anything.
And honestly, a year isn't that long of a time. Not every body follows things so closely.
I watched the Destiny reveal and read previews. And that was it. I'm supposed to just know that Bungie has no longer been talking about that stuff, so therefor it is unreasonable of me to expect it?

And I don't know why you're going to extremes. Who expected No Man's Sky levels of exploration? Can't be that many people. I didn't at least. But I did sure as heck expect I'd be playing more than just Old Russia on Earth in the base game. I don't see why I should be blaming myself for expecting that.

Trickster

"OH MY GOD THIS ONE GUY SAID THIS ONE THING AT THE END OF THIS ONE DEMO ( a BCD version of one already given without that addition ) BACK WHEN THE GAME WAS REVEALED, LET'S BASE ALL OUR EXPECTATIONS ON THAT! BUNGIE BETRAYED US!

I'm sorry guys, but this is just going too far for me. There was talk of something bigger and more ambitious at the reveal and early on when they talked about their vision for the franchise, so some disappointment is understandable, but you should've adjusted your expectations down when they stopped talking about that stuff and when it became clear ( through the trailers and alpha ) that that massive ambition could not be met with the launch version of the first title. Some of you seemed to have ridiculous 'No Man's Sky levels of exploration + World of Warcraft levels of content + multiple Skyrim-sized zones per planet'-expectations, and that's all to blame on yourself.

I hear being overly sarcastic and writing in all caps is a great way to appear calm and objective.

Just for the record, no it wasn't just one guy that said it. Here is a link where another bungie employee, during another demo at the same e3, said pretty much the same thing -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTfhrONAp-c

Now, either that's an amazing coincidental lie, or more likely, scripted talk for the demo.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Only one person introduced that demo. It's in the first 5% of all the sentences he says across the whole demo.

I don't know why you're being all capslock and bold if you're factually incorrect?
?

You put up a .webm of the guy saying it once with no further context, and my comment is based on that. I post something based on something you put out without context, so please don't blame me for not taking the context into account.

Chicago is a swampland. Europe is a deadzone. Vines wrap around dilapidated buildings

I guess I didn't assume that meant we could explore all of those. I thought "Europe is a deadzone" meant "There's nothing there of value anymore. The earth is mainly a wasteland."

Karl Hawk

Banned

IIRC, the press who were at Bungie during the reveal at Feb 2013 were told by Bungie about Destiny and nothing more. I remember some of them saying how the reveal was a waste of time for them.

I'll happily take half the areas of Borderlands 2 if it means I don't have to listen to characters like Tiny Tina, Claptrap or Handsome Jack screaming 'jokes' into my face every couple minutes.

And it's not just the mountains, there are other structures in that landscape and in Old Russia itself that immediately attract your interest: sunk ships, other towers, etc. But as soon as you try to find a path, you are immediately met by a cliff of death. Often times, it's not even obvious that you will die when you jump down. Neither are most cliffs high, nor is water inherently lethal, but you die nonetheless. It's so artificial and it destroys all feeling of vastness and exploration, but that feeling was clearly what they were alluding to in that demo. The Beta only has middle-sized areas with linear tunnels connecting them. There is no real traveling and pathfinding.

I don't have a problem with the game as it is, but I definitely expected more exploration and open-world-ness

I got this swell of excitement when you first hack the relay to unlock your bike. Tyrion Lannister then tells you to go a place that sounds epic. You get on your bike and proceed to drive for what feels like awhile at first. Like, that sense of expanse starts to set it.... and then you get to the end of the "tunnel" and see it's just yet another sectioned off area :(

Figured, did not follow this game but enjoyed the beta for what it was eventhough I could not shake the feeling that "this game will be very small at launch."

So after the alpha and beta, people still thought those skyboxes were explorable? Its just now after this announcement people are suprised they aren't?

The Llama

If nothing else, this is just further confirmation to me that doing any sort of pre-order that required you to pay money up front is very dumb.

Hawk269

So the level cap is 20 in the main game. Level cap in the beta is 8 right? That does not sound encouraging then. If we can get to level 8 rather quickly in the beta and understanding as you go higher it takes a bit longer to get to the next level, it just feels like it is not going to be as expansive as Bungie has let on.

No one in their right mind would think that only having Russia as playable and representing earth is enough, but it could be with what we know of the game now. Like others said, you cant compare Destiny to regular shooters because they built Destiny to be like a MMO where you group with friends, with that said, there needs to be content giving players incentive to want to be invested in it.

As it stands right now, being the rumor of 4 planets or so in the main game, we already have finished for the most part 1/4 of the game, give or take an hour or so for stuff locked away.

The amount of PvE content in the game was always my biggest concern, and it seems those fears were warranted.

And as someone who has followed the game fairly closely since the very first leak, I do feel Bungie does shoulder some of the responsibility for overpromising.

It seems more and more likely that all those places mentioned as part of the game world like Old Chicago, the Mumbai Push, the European Dead Zones, Europa, etc will turn out to be just PvP maps, just like the Twilight Gap and Mercury. As I'm mostly interested in the explore/PvE side of things, all those locations being PvP maps is personally enormously disappointing.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
There's probably some DLC there but the overreaction in this thread is still something else.

Eh, it's the price to pay for overhyping things.

Fable is a totally fine game also. Even Spore is pretty decent. Diablo III worked itself out in the end.

When developers let gamers imaginations run wild and overpromise than they sort of deserve this kind of stuff.

Though, it's curious they ran a public beta that more or less debunked all of their promises prior to launch. Normally when Mouleneux'ing someone you don't let them find out till you have their money.

BigDug13

So after the alpha and beta, people still thought those skyboxes were explorable? Its just now after this announcement people are suprised they aren't?

People thought they could be other zones at least. Borderlands 2 did this thing of putting other world landmarks in the background of other zones. Technically that landmark is another zone you can go to, but you have to click the zone border to access it. You can't simply walk there. I think people at least expected other parts of earth that would be explorable zones, in much the same way Borderlands faked interconnected zones by using background landmarks but essentially the entire game is just a list of maps and player spawn points.

IIRC, the press who were at Bungie during the reveal at Feb 2013 were told by Bungie about Destiny and nothing more. I remember some of them saying how the reveal was a waste of time for them.

Exactly. All of these 'examples' being brought up about the press given these regions a) don't state them as explorable areas and b) look to be a lot of inferences from concept art rather than actual facts about the game.

Edit: Will say that the skybox thing was stupid of Bungie to state on, but personally I don't think that should've come as a surprise. There's still limits in game development, and people should be more wary about these sort of magical breakthroughs that are off-mentioned.

Omega

Banned
Did anyone find the Crucible 'domination' mode to be poorly designed?.

Usually in 'domination' mode you will have three capture points A B C, with B being the most fiercely contested with it being near the centre of the map. I found the area you stand in to capture the point in Destiny to be very very small, and also very out in the open.

Usually in games which do 'Domination' modes really well such as Black Ops 1/2 and Titanfall, the B point will have a larger capture area, and it will also allow you to tuck in/hide a little. In Destiny I found I was a sitting duck, pretty much in the open, and normally with an enemy player standing a little way out and just shooting me to bits.

Having areas you can hide a little make for a better game, as anyone who is camping will have to head in to flush you out, rather than shooting fish in a barrel.

I'm not sure if this is how Bungie games normally play? as I haven't played any of the HALO series online.

This is coming from someone who has played hundreds of hours of 'Domination' modes in other games, and I've never had poor map layout in the past.

I hope that Bungie can fix these issues, or are they the norm in Bungie games?

this was one of the dumbest things about the PvP.

It's basically a 1 foot area to capture, and you're fucked because there's perfect lines of sight to most of the points. Or they can just hulk smash or spirit bomb the area and get guaranteed kills because there's only one possible place you can be.

King of the Hill (closest thing to ABC domination) in Halo had a big area to capture, so the enemy could throw grenades/shoot rockets whatever, but they had to guess and there was a chance they would waste it. You had to be smart about it because if you didn't hit them, they knew where you were coming from and you still have no idea where there at.

Exactly. All of these 'examples' being brought up about the press given these regions a) don't state them as explorable areas and b) look to be a lot of inferences from concept art rather than actual facts about the game.

There is examples of that I thought?

Regardless, youre right, they did change their messaging. They didnt continue to mention old chicago and stuff. But they never pulled back on it either, its not like they didnt realize people thought there would be more to explore, they have to get questions like this all the time.

I guess the biggest thing aside from the concept art vs what's available aspect is just that many of us thought we would be exploring Earth, not just Russia.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So the level cap is 20 in the main game. Level cap in the beta is 8 right? That does not sound encouraging then. If we can get to level 8 rather quickly in the beta and understanding as you go higher it takes a bit longer to get to the next level, it just feels like it is not going to be as expansive as Bungie has let on.

I think the real grind is going to be leveling your subclasses, your elite weapons and your notoriety with different factions.

If we look at the PSO/PSU comparison the reality is that you level capped pretty early in those games but weren't really able to wreck shop until you had gotten good weapon drops and started maxing those guys out.

So, I think the end-game will have a lot of meta-game content. Just not a lot of actual game content. If the meta-game is good enough that won't be a problem. If the meta game is just so so it will be. I just need to know that the super rare weapons feel substantially different than the standard ones. One thing that PSO was really good at was making the really elite weapons feel different than their basic counterparts and not just putting out higher numbers. One of Borderlands biggest shortfalls IMO.

Putty

Fine for me, i really enjoy traversing what there is already, i personally find it big enough to suit my needs. I don't want a truly openworld landscape to tackle. I find it big enough .

Top Bottom