• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

This is Activision we're talking about. Expect to pay at least $15...and never expect the price to go down in the future. MW2 dlc is still full price all this time later.

Expansion I and Expansion II will be $20 each. The Expansion pass that includes both is $35.

David___

Banned
What the hell is going on in this thread?

I've spend a combined 50 hours on 1 strike and 6 story missions in the alpha and beta.

You are supposed to play the content over and over again grinding for loot ala Diablo.

More content is always a good thing I agree but you guys act like you were expecting wow levels of content and that game has been out for a decade.

I was expecting one but hoping for at least two personally.

Kyoufu

Ummm PvE fps aren't that hard especially in coop, sure the less dedicated will have problems but I've played enough mmo's to realise, there are some very dedicated and skilled players that will eventually slog through a raid especially if there isn't a randomised element of skill level.

Well we just don't know how difficult the raid will be and what it demands from players.

Does it require specific Focus builds?

Does the 6 player Fire team need to consist of 2 of each class or can you stroll in with 6 hunters?

Does it have a strict gear requirement of basic Legendary tier equipment that you have to grind elsewhere?

This should be relevant. I posted it in another thread.
=======================================
Found the text of the zones here.

EXPLORE THE UNIVERSE

Earth
When the Traveler visited Earth it ushered in a Golden Age of new technologies and prosperity. Then the Darkness attacked and pushed mankind to the brink of extinction. After 200 years of rebuilding, man’s now ready to journey out beyond the City’s walls once more to explore a much-changed universe, beginning with an almost unrecognisable Earth.

The Tower
Home to Earth’s Guardians, the Tower is your first port of call in Destiny. It’s the most recognisable landmark in the City, and the launchpad of every mission, near or far.

Old Russia
A graveyard of crashed planes and abandoned spaceships, the Old Russia environment is a massive expanse of grassland, cave systems and overrun factories
Moon
The first celestial body man visited, the Moon is home to a giant Fusion Coil Accelerator and a communications relay station – both relics of the Golden Age. Now classed as a ‘Forbidden Zone’ because of ‘tectonic phenomenon’, it’s a Hive hotspot and the alien race resides in a giant pit known as the Hellmouth. Given that you must unlock missions and locations through levelling up and completing story quests, don’t be surprised if the Moon is one of your first space-based destinations.

Accelerator
The Fusion Coil Accelerator was, once, essentially a giant delivery system that fired payloads out of the Moon’s atmosphere and to colonies elsewhere in the solar system using nothing but magnetic power. Now deactivated (but for how long?), it serves as a hub for easy lunar nagivation.​

Mars
Once the site of a sprawling Golden Age metropolis, mankind’s Martian outpost was obliterated by the Darkness and has since been reclaimed by the red sand, meaning you’ll need to press deep underground in order to explore the abandoned installation.

The Exclusion Zone
There’s a hint of Erebor about the Exclusion Zone – a fomer stronghold that contains piles of gold. Now it’s protected by the fearsome Cabal; a race
of rhino-like warriors so dangerous we’d rather take our chances with the mighty dragon Smaug.​

Venus
The fourth core location in Destiny (though not the final environment, as there are space-based levels on alien tomb ships and more) was once known
as a ‘paradise’ before the proverbial space debris hit the galaxy’s fan. Now the yellow sky is the conductor of giant electric storms. Expect vast, luscious jungle environments where nature has taken abandoned buildings for its own playthings, with patrolling Vex armies hunting down Guardian fireteams.

Academy
During the Golden Age we built an academy dedicated to education on the shore of a sea – but when the Darkness attacked, the waters boiled,
shattered the coast and washed it all away.

Citadel
The awe-inspiring Vex Citadel defies all known science. Then again, the Vex is a race of time-travelling robots, so why would they play by the rules?​

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I've spend a combined 50 hours on 1 strike and 6 story missions in the alpha and beta.

You are supposed to play the content over and over again grinding for loot ala Diablo.

More content is always a good thing I agree but you guys act like you were expecting wow levels of content and that game has been out for a decade.

It's same stuff we got from Titanfall, I expect the same sort of stuff here. It's not about pure hours. People are expecting to play this game long term and feel disappointed when it feels like the game won't reach that goal (at least not from the initial money spent).

RoadHazard

Gold Member

So you enjoy doing the exact same thing in the exact same locations with the exact same enemies over and over and over and over and over again. Others were perhaps hoping for more variety from this game.

lack of content in an ambitious new ip. i expected this. rental at best, imo.

Disappointing lack of content and end game at launch? Another checkmark for the "is an MMO" crowd.

How do you know the game is lacking in content?

So you enjoy doing the exact same thing in the exact same locations with the exact same enemies over and over and over and over and over again. Others were perhaps hoping for more variety from this game.

So I take it you've never played a loot-based PVE type game.

IHaveIce

Banned
Bummer. Especially because PVE is the only thing than can sell me on this game.. I really wanted to explore more of earth.

Don't want dlc. I shouldn't have expected too much from Bungie, they keep dissappointing me for years now

dmr87

If every planet is about the size of Earth then you can beat the game in a day or two, level 20 suddenly makes sense.

David___

Banned
Well we just don't know how difficult the raid will be and what it demands from players.

Does the 6 player Fire team need to consist of 2 of each class or can you stroll in with 6 hunters?

Does it have a strict gear requirement of basic Legendary tier equipment that you have to grind elsewhere?

Not sure but it needs decent communication at one point since it requires all members jumping off of disappearing platforms onto appearing ones.

Also, pretty sure some legendaries have a skill that gives bonus damage to one type of enemies in there.

hohoXD123

I have a feeling that the content they will add will be substantial like an expansion pack. Just like World of Warcraft with regular free updates/patches and a pretty big expansion back with a higher pricepoint.

But that's only an assumption. It just feels right for the type of game.

People also thought that the base game would have a substantial amount of content, so making any assumptions about this game probably isn't a great idea.

I had the feeling the exploration will be limited and environments small, that's the vibe I got from the alpha/beta. I don't expect huge different places like Borderlands 2.

I hope this doesn't turn out to actually be the case.

Maybe Old Russia is the main "explorable" zone, but there are other missions set in smaller zones on Earth just for those quests. Like the Chicago one. Any chance of that?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I know but we're talking about people that can spend 24 hours straight trying to crack it and numerous groups. Vast majority of the time they do it and fairly quickly. It could take longer due to things like that but generally my expectation is that it will be completed faster than you'd think. Especially for a massive game like this one.

EL CUCO

Wow. Why did I believe that there would be more to Earth than just old Russia..? Am disappoint GAF.

disappointed-gif_3.gif

Didnt they say something like destiny will be for 10 years or something? How could they pull this stunt?

They have a contract with Activision where they publish multiple Destiny titles over 10 years, so I expect them to release a new Destiny game every 3 years while adding/expanding content to the current Destiny title.

Well the game is clearly about grinding for loot ala diablo.. Where you fight the same monsters over and over again in the same areas.

Borderlands is the same way.

Let's see how long it takes to finish all the content before we start screaming rip off.

Also there are more enemies then what we have fought in the beta.

jett

D-Member
Exactly what I said: "..but when it come to PvE gameplay and content I've seen very little Destiny does that No Man's Sky could not."

I didn't say NMS would match Destiny's features, just that there is very little that Destiny's is doing that could not be done procedurally. Hell, just randomize the spawn locations and mob composition, and Destiny would be a much better game. Destiny's mission layout is simply corridor => boxed in area => corridor => boxed in area. Repeat as necessary. Sounds like an algorithm could generate that.

Oh, how about that inspired mission design: "Wait here while we send waves of enemies at you" or "Ok kill X number of enemies in this area." We might just have to break out the sci-fi level of AI in order to procedurally generate those gems.

Exactly what artisan content and gameplay in Destiny PvE do you think is beyond the reach of procedural coding? Note: I already acknowledged that Destiny will look better.

No offense, but this is a ridiculous discussion that I'm not getting into. You might as well argue the merits of the potential for there being a dating simulator in NML since anything is possible at the moment since we know jack and shit about how it plays.

You might think it's a simple thing, but I think the story encounters in the beta are well designed and exciting, and they change depending on how many people you have in your fireteam and what difficulty level you chose. I heavily disagree that randomizing everything is actually a positive over calculated design. I can't even begin to describe how much I feel the opposite of what you just said.

You know what? I'm even expecting those that say 'DLC' to be disappointed.

My expectations for regular DLC :

- one to two new dungeon locations/or smaller expansions to existing explore hubs
- one strike
- some story missions based in old areas/new
- several PvP maps

I don't expect any planet-sized or even explore area sized DLC to come consistently. My expectations is that there'll probably be one major DLC drop a year, but we'll get majority of the new content when Destiny 2 launches.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Destiny 2 will be where it's at. The marketing lead-up to the first game had me suspicious that the game will have limited content, but despite that, I found the alpha/beta to showcase insane amounts of potential for Destiny, which makes me believe that with 2 years time and the first game's foundation, Destiny 2 will be the game we all dreamed of, but it won't likely satisfy those who never reeled in their expectations for the first game.

Trickster

Wow. Why did I believe that there would be more to Earth than just old Russia..? Am disappoint GAF.

disappointed-gif_3.gif

Because a single zone for the ENTIRETY of a long lost future earth, is fucking stupid.

I feel your pain man. So, so goddamn dissapointed by this.

very disappointing if true.

i thought it was the point of the game, that it was MASSIVE and there was lots to explore on many different planets. adding areas later as paid DLC doesn't work for me, don't care. i need the game to feel massive the first time i play it, and for the first days and weeks.

i guess it's the "GOTY" edition for me much later, with all the planned content included.

This is kind of insane in a post-No Man's Sky world. I know that game isn't out yet, but still.

It sure is great now that we're living in the post-No Man's Sky world where that game came out and blew our minds and totally shit over every other game, ever.

See you in a year in the not enough content in No Man's Sky thread!

Kyoufu

I know but we're talking about people that can spend 24 hours straight trying to crack it and numerous groups. Vast majority of the time they do it and fairly quickly. It could take longer due to things like that generally my expectation is that it will be completed faster than you'd think. Especially for a massive game like this one.

Hardcore players will always clear content faster than others, that's a given. The question is what % of the community are those hardcore 24/7 type of players. In the MMOs I've played there weren't many guilds who cleared content in the first week.

This all goes back to how difficult The Glass Vault will be and if it's gated content that opens up periodically like for instance Icecrown Citadel in WoW.

We'll have to wait and see what Bungie has designed.

jett

D-Member
You know what? I'm even expecting those that say 'DLC' to be disappointed.

My expectations for regular DLC :

- one to two new dungeon locations/or smaller expansions to existing explore hubs
- one strike
- some story missions based in old areas/new
- several PvP maps

I don't expect any planet-sized or even explore area sized DLC to come consistently. My expectations is that there'll probably be one major DLC drop a year, but we'll get majority of the new content when Destiny 2 launches.

You described it to a tee, you won't be getting entirely new areas. The description for the first "expansion" is exploring a underground tomb on the moon. I already went there yesterday.

With the release plan this game has set up of an expansion, then sequel every year, I never expected they would give us a meaty enough package to just be satisfied with one entry, shame.

madmackem

As per normal people jump the gun run around screaming, lets just wait till we get confirmation on this before people overreact.

EVIL

Man I've seen several people try to defend Destiny from criticism using this shitty argument. Just because your idea of a good game boils down to the amount of hours you personally spend playing it. Doesn't mean that is how other people think also.

The discussion here is the amount of content. He is explaining his experience with the beta and how he thinks there will be enough content to last him a hundred hours for 60 bucks.

So I dont really underestand the need for yuur reply as you posted it.

Not really, save for the rather obnoxious raid bosses that the game is not really balanced around. Maybe some of the NG+ content but you're still getting a huge amount of content outside of that.

The main story in Borderlands 2 at launch is maybe 30 hours.

Let's see how long it takes to complete the story missions in Destiny.

viveks86

The quality of content wasn't that great from what I've played during the beta either (outside of the overall polish), at least there'd be a ton of it.

Canceling a preorder because you weren't impressed with what you played is vastly different from canceling your preorder based on a speculated size of the game world. The former is anyone's prerogative and a reasonable one too. The latter is just a silly and vacuous excuse. I'm specifically referring to the latter.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
So Bungie made it seem like we'd get to see a lot of earth and it turned out it's just a few levels in one area?

Is this a Halo 2 thread?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Hardcore players will always clear content faster than others, that's a given. The question is what % of the community are those hardcore 24/7 type of players. In the MMOs I've played there weren't many guilds who cleared content in the first week.

This all goes back to how difficult The Glass Vault will be and if it's gated content that opens up periodically like for instance Icecrown Citadel in WoW.

We'll have to wait and see what Bungie has designed.

I canimagine this games raids have that many dedicated people completing it that leads to the snow ball effect, those that completed the raid will permeate and order those that haven't until everyone is attempting and failing the then seen optimal route. As time progresses normally a few days such groups are able to complete games regularly. Raids in games like wow are difficult to figure out because of organisation, the more a game leans on rote memorisation that individual players can learn e.g a fps, the easier the fps content is to clear. It'll very hard sure but doable.

LTWheels

It's a mini mmo. Reason being is that they want to sell a Destiny 2, 3, instead of adding onto the same game. They will aim for the game + dlc to have enough content that by the time people are getting bored, it will be 6 months till Destiny 2 comes out. I.e. the console model of mmo.

Arkanius

People were expecting Activision to give you content in a 60$ game?

I always felt that what they promised with Destiny (giant areas mmorpg like FPS, 10 year plan) was a load of bullshit.

It's starting to trickle in. All Activision is trying to make Bungie do is an Halo under their belt.

Trickster

The discussion here is the amount of content. He is explaining his experience with the beta and how he thinks there will be enough content to last him a hundred hours for 60 bucks.

So I dont really underestand the need for yuur reply as you posted it.

Hey that's fine, except he's not only saying that he feels that this is good enough for himself based on what he got out of the beta, but also saying that basically anyone who doesn't think it's enough, are just wrong. And that's a bullshit stance to take.

jett

D-Member
People were expecting Activision to give you content in a 60$ game?

I always felt that what they promised with Destiny (giant areas mmorpg like FPS, 10 year plan) was a load of bullshit.

It's starting to trickle in. All Activision is trying to make Bungie do is an Halo under their belt.

The only loads of bullshit are inside the heads of the people that actually thought the 10 year plan referred to a singular game.

Haha what a stupid a stupid thread no way i can not post in this one. Ok here goes, this is my take on it. I am disappointed and were expecting more zones. Bungie lied to us, you cant go to those mountains and its not 5x times bigger then Reach or whatever they said.

However this is a 60$ game with no subscription. How much contents were you expecting? yes they could make the world bigger thats easy just add alot of "dead space". Make a little landmark then add 10 kilometers of wood or hills and you will have yourself a skyrim, a SWG or a Wow but thats kinda boring imo.

As it looks right, im going to guess here but maybe 15h - 20h story mode which is normal for a game now days add to that a legendary difficulty that you can play with friends so thats another 20h - 30h.
Then we have explore depending on how much you like to grind for the Cryparch, the factions, vanguard points, public event and so on im guessing atleast 20h (i know this will be alot more for me).
Strikes and Raids this is were the meat is for me. I love horde mode i spent well over 200h on Masseffect and Gears so if there is 6 -7 strikes with random loot then yeah i will spend days in this mode.
PVP not my thing however if there is loot i just must have i will grind it out but not that much of my time will be spent here.

And on top of this im expecting daily and/or weekly challenges, im expecting free small updates with loot, maps, vehicles like ME3 or Warframe.
To me this is a complete package, this is more then enough for a 60$ pricetag especially when you compare it to games Battlefield, Cod or Titanfall. I cant wait to get lost in the world of Destiny and i doubt there will be much room for other games this year. (Sorry about spelling and whatnot English is not my native language)

Top Bottom