• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

I thought Chicago was confirmed?

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhNkK4h1oVk#t=72 we were lied to if so, he says we can go to the mountains and such, you cannot.

Went from Day 1 to buy a sealed copy on Craigslist day 1 for 45$

I hate to beat a dead horse...however Cross-Gen games are a bane,the whole purpose for new hardware is for bigger more detailed worlds and gameplay, yet cross-gen is just screwing everything up.

This is a result of that, I'm sure they could of achieved that but not when you have to cater for the XBOX 360/PS3,oh well hopefully Destiny 2 steps it up.

I'm still Interested however I can now dial down my expectations and wait for the first price-drop, there are too many games this year.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I am also worried about mission variety, not much fun when every mission is defend this or kill that.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, I guess I can try to get back in to Warframe instead. At least their content updates are free.

jtenma

Banned
See? This is why I don't pre order games.

Glad I didn't. there are just far better options coming out this fall in terms of longevity.

I did the amazon switch (pre-order cancel 0.00 charge) to play it, got my fill, found out that the full game isn't much more, and I ain't even mad because the game wasn't officially 'pre-ordered'.

Game is good. But I expected more.

That's not what they're doing. If what you describe was what they're actually doing then they would be talking about Mist of Pandaria content. They're not.

I think I must be confused.

I don't think it's fair at all to compare a mmo with years of expansions to a launch MMO.

The launch game will always seem small.

Sorry it's early morning for me and my kid is sick and I've been up all night.

DieH@rd

Banned
Seems like this is it.

6nX.jpg

We still dont know what is behind that Vanguard icon on the map.

Glad I didn't. there are just far better options coming out this fall in terms of longevity.

I did the amazon switch (pre-order cancel 0.00 charge) to play it, got my fill, found out that the full game isn't much more, and I ain't even mad because the game wasn't officially 'pre-ordered'.

Dude what games are you gonna play this fall and winter? I want some of that longevity.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think I must be confused.

I don't think it's fair at all to compare a mmo with years of expansions to a launch MMO.

The launch game will always seem small.

Sorry it's early morning for me and my kid is sick and I've been up all night.

NP they're comparing launch wow as in day 1 wow to predicted day 1 destiny which I believe is a fair comparison much like day 1 everquest is a fair comparison and day 1 gw2. (outside the fact they're comparing fully fledged mmo's to one that's clearly not).

Stoze

Maybe I have low standards, but beta content x 5 seems like plenty for the vanilla version. With a decent amount of time logged I'm still finding new areas and events in Old Russia even with chunks of the level blocked off.

You don't, that's what people should have expected. People who expected more underestimate the size and excruciating amount of detail that went into Old Russia's design (something that would be incredibly hard to replicate 10 - 20 times or whatever the hell people wanted).

Personally I thought it was obvious just by looking at the universe map that there would only be around 5 planets. Bungie would really have to go out of their way to hide the idea of there being more areas per planet in the beta, it was never likely. Plus they clearly click on Venus in the extended trailer and it acts the same way it does in the beta; there's no area choice given to the player, it just zooms in and gives you one map of the one area. They were never trying to trick you or subvert expectations, but they do want to surprise you. The problem here happens when people expect a surprise of double or triple the game content, which isn't Bungie's fault.

What I don't expect is to spend 600+ hours on this game like an mmo, because despite its game design that clearly focuses on mmorpg aspects, it's still far from an mmo in its arcitecture.

syko de4d

No wonder they dont call it a MMO. Like its much much harder to make a good 50hours+ shooter compared to a good 50hours+ RPG it is also harder to make a MMOFPS with the amount of content you would expect from a MMORPG.
People will rush through the pve content in some days and at the end is just pvp + grind gear.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Oh please, no man's sky looks to have absolutely no depth in gameplay or world. As shallow as a puddle

Now this, this I agree with.
No Man's Sky is one of those games that I really really want to be deep.. but I'm just not seeing it.

In regards to Destiny, let's wait for the final game before we freak etc.

Tekku

Longevity is probably the least of Destiny's problems. Even if we don't get as many locations as we hoped for it's still gonna be a 100+ ride. I have no doubt of that.

Cancelling the game based on these news make me wonder what kind of game people were expecting, because we knew all along that it wasn't an MMO.

Now this, this I agree with.

It's one of those games that I really really want to be deep.. but I'm just not seeing it.

In regards to Destiny, let's wait for the final game before we freak etc.

Why would we do that when we can start immediately lumping our unrealistic expectations onto the next thing coming down the pike like No Man's Sky, Xenoblade X, Mass Effect 4, etc.

darkwing

people already have spent several hours in the beta, how much more for the full game, people are going to get their money's worth

jtenma

Banned
Longevity is probably the least of Destiny's problems. Even if we don't get as many locations as we hoped for it's still gonna be a 100+ ride. I have no doubt of that.

I agree. My question is how long can you really play in old russia before the scenery gets old?

EDIT: also, they may have events like Gw2/PSO2 that change things up a bit, but it is still the same ol' scenery.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

See I doubt get this argument. It's probably just salt. But I got a similar playtime from Titanfall and that game was ripped to shreds. It seems you must play the game foe several months for that argument to work.

doomquake

They most likely picked Russia because of the famous Cosmodrome. It makes for an interesting place to explore, considering the narrative.

or the Fallen are actually Russians. Why would you have to fight a guy named Rasputin? I doubt some aliens would call themselves that. So basically the Empire of Darkness (Russia) consumed all of Earth and now we just have one area with rusty ships.

EmpReb

Banned
Why would we do that when we can start immediately lumping our unrealistic expectations onto the next thing coming down the pike like No Man's Sky, Xenoblade X, Mass Effect 4, etc.
Alll of those are on next gen or more of they are not held back by last gen stupidy that has slowed us down since 2009.

Did you even read my edit?

I put 90 hours into BL2. I don't see the same happening with Destiny is all this is true.

Well thats just you. I put maybe 30 hours into Borderlands 2 but i quit playing ti because the gameplay was boring the Co-op was crap with shared loot and dupers. I see myself putting more then 90 hours on the strikes alone but thats just me.

I didn't realize the main level cap was 20. Seems low if one planet can take you about halfway there.
numerically yes-but your skills improve at a much slower rate. ever check your abillities menu? I finally filled most the bottom row of abillities for my warlock after~ 16 hours with the game. that's not bad IMO

Zombine

Banned
I think that the reason why people are upset about this is that the levels in the Beta seem much smaller than a regular set piece in Reach. The Russian beta world felt like half the size of a level in Reach.

Fortunately for me, I'm only concerned with finding armor and weapons that are strong and look cool that put me ahead of the competition in multiplayer. I plan on spending most of my time there.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

I wasn't saying it doesn't have depth (as I obviously don't know), I was saying it's a game I'm wanting to like but they haven't shown me enough to get my hyped.

Now Mass Effect 4....that's a different story: I will always lump unrealistic expectations on my beloved ME franchise as it's my j'adore, and it deserves all the hype train it can handle.

VulpX

I don't really see any problem. I've spend 15-20 hours in the beta so far, most of it on the Old Russia map. There are still some areas off limit atm, so we don't really know the definite size of the map, and if we get 5 planets of roughly this size it's big enough for me. Add replayable raids and crucible and other MP events, and levelling multiple specializations for every class and this game is going to keep me entertained for quite some time.

Nocturno999

I think Bungie should adopt the Guild Wars model and add more content with some minor vanity DLC and expansion packs.

I think the game is going to be worth the price tag but definitely is not the epic adventure they promised where your grandsons will continue your game file like they were implying long ago.

or the Fallen are actually Russians. Why would you have to fight a guy named Rasputin? I doubt some aliens would call themselves that. So basically the Empire of Darkness (Russia) consumed all of Earth and now we just have one area with rusty ships.

[Rasputin] is the Warmind AI that helped protect Earth from the Darkness.

Top Bottom