• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

TP-DK

Did anyone get the Handcannon from hardmode? All I got was the pulse rifle.

So far it seems like the pulse rifle drops after first part, the auto rifle after the bridge and Im guessing the scout rifle and handcannon drop after Crota.

GlamFM

Banned
What do you have in mind?

I'm totally down to try it again tomorrow.

Same time?

One more Sarah Michelle Gellarhorn would probably be good.

So far it seems like the pulse rifle drops after first part, the auto rifle after the bridge and Im guessing the scout rifle and handcannon drop after Crota.

That seems to be correct.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Basically a titan HAS to put a bubble near the swordbearer. The boomers are way too unpredictable and spawn fast. We can kill Crota with 3 sword kneels two times before the Ogres come out.

I almost finished the bridge part but a guy whose invitation I refused multiple times thought it would be a great idea to join my game instead.

Always set yourself in a Closed Freteam when doing tricky solo's! People usually want to help with raids or come reap the rewards :D

Feorax

I know it's a bit of a pipedream, but realistically, if Xur were ever to sell Gjallababy again, this weekend will probably be the one of the only times they could justifyably do it.

1. It's damn near a necessity for the POS they released last night.

2. A lot of people will have spent up a lot of coins last week, so not too many will be buying it.

3. I think we're due a RL, last one was Dragons Breath a while ago I think.

As an aside, I'm running the weekly 30 if anyone wants to jump in.

I know it's a bit of a pipedream, but realistically, if Xur were ever to sell Gjallababy again, this weekend will probably be the one of the only times they could justifyably do it.

2. A lot of people will have spent up a lot of coins last week, so not too many will be buying it.

Not this week, they are probably enjoying watching us squirm right now. They will let it stew and maybe in a few weeks after things have settled down roll it out.

What does it say about the Raids own RL that it is largely ineffective or completely outclassed for Hard Mode? Maybe Hunger of Crota needs a bit of a buff, or at least have Hive Disruptor scale a bit more.

Omni

Same here. My Ice Breaker didn't stagger him while a friend said his Ice Breaker did stagger the Ogre. I only have his word but my IB is 331 maxed and I was 32. Not sure if there are other things that could make a difference but I doubt it.
Like I said on the other page my Black Hammer managed to stagger him ever 2-3 shots which made the difference in the end.
I saw a video on reddit where someone soloed the bridge and his IB staggered the left Ogre but not the right one if I remember correctly. Very weird.

I'll give the bridge part another shot tonight. I really want the auto rifle...

Yeah, my black hammer staggered the left ogre when I did the bridge section solo but not the right. Which is why I had to resort to rockets. I was just responding to that other guy who said that he took out the orge in the maze using an ice breaker with no problems (though now that I read it again, I think he was talking about normal and not hard xD )

bitsurugi

Please tell me it's not 6 Gjallarhorns to the face.

Well, it's just a theory, since i wasn't yet able to test in practice and it's a mix of the good part of our kill and the ''world record fast kill'', which has been posted on reddit and a new twist which i will need to test out, when i come home from work.

The video on reddit, is cool, the ledge at Crystal is easy, but relies on GGhorns and doing 3 runs the 1st sword.

I can tell you by experience that 3 runs per 1 sword is hard and not a reliable strat imo, since it needs perfect execution and even 2 seconds are important. While i think you can repeat it a few times, i highly doubt you can do it every time.

Just do 2 runs per 1st sword, stay either at ledge (altho imo it's a cheese, so if you are anti cheese, dont do it) or stay where we were at the stairs.
The thing i like from the reddit video is the bubble at the crota platform to protect the sword guy. Put it if it's not a hunter, otherwise have the sword guy use red death or some HP regain mechanic, depending on the class he has.

Now the twist, which i have thought in theory:

on the 2nd sword, why not just use the 1st rotation on Crota as usual, but the 2nd rotation, dont go on Crota, but kill the Gatekeeper down below. Team uses some sort of CC on him (supressor granades and stuff, kill adds nearby)
This way, when ogres, right after, spawn, you can go down the middle, just as on normal mode. Kill ogres, go back on stairs.

Next Keeper will spawn only when Swordbearer spawns - need to test that, but i am almost positive it's that way, so 2nd sword is safe to kill the keeper, since next Keeper comes when the 3rd Swordbearer comes.

On the 3rd sword do just as much dmg as needed before engrageing him, basically its a sort of ''delayed'' 2nd rotation of the 2nd sword.

4th sword is business as usuall and Crota should be down as on a normal strat. Mash in, engrage hits, dps crota's shield, kill him, collect loot.

So instead of 3 swords you do 4, 2nd and 3rd sword use are only 1 rotation, to prevent bad enrage timer (you must not hit enrage at a 2nd rotation of a sword).

Another trick for ogres i saw is on the reddit page, team nukes an ogre where he spawns in the bottom tower. Ignore the gatekeeper.

Any thoughts? As i've said, it's just my theory, haven't tested it, but it should be viable. The blind bubble strat at tower to delay boomers worked well, i hope this one somewhat also helps.

Steroyd

Respect is lost when a game developers idea of upping the difficulty level is have enemies kill you faster while they're harder to kill and call it a day which is essentially what happened here, the fact that the whole raid is above the level cap just shows how piss poor Crota's End is designed overall VOG was at the level cap and still provided everyone to be on the ball like a well oiled machine, none of the "new mechanics" did fuck all to make it more challenging or require a re-thinking of how to approach the game outside of where to stand and pray the Ai isn't being random in the worst way.

Also with the changes the game demands perfection in imperfect conditions, pointing back to VoG you can at least compensate if laggy glitchy fuckery happens, here it's pretty much a wipe if the sword disappears just once or Crota skips frames, no matter how well you did beforehand.

I feel like just getting all the hard mode kit then bailing the fuck out, there's too much shit outside of everyone's control for this to be considered fun.

ocean

Banned
Hawk, I found your post to be extremely interesting. One brief observation I'd suggest you consider: this subcommunity is bound by our shared passion for the game and the fantastic moments of thrill when we overcome challenges together. There are hundreds of us though, and the randomized reward system coupled with bugs that rarely work in our favor mean our experiences with the same content can vary wildly.

My frustrated tone after a solo legit Nightfall where I earn 6 Strange Coins can't be the same as the whimsical "we cheesed and got dupe Gjallarhorns lol". This paves the way for a variety of opinions and experiences which will be communicated in a wide range of terms. Some will vent their exasperation in more impassioned tones than others. At times we can find ourselves in the minority with regards to how we judge an in-game situation.

I think there's space for pluralistic discussion here in all tones and terms. The fact that you can't relate to Grave's rant and many others can doesn't mean you're out of touch. You merely disagree or don't share a particular point of view. Whether this boils down to having had a different experience with your group or just reacting differently because of your personality doesn't ultimately change much with regards to your organizing of these threads.

There isn't one voice which all of us can feel represented by. And that's OK. This platform is a venue for a wide variety of players spanning different ages, nationalities and personalities. There is bound to be disagreement.

I think we can all agree the Heroic Crota encounter is a frustrating ordeal. Clearing this encounter requires skill, which we're all Ok with; it also requires luck. This is where we will react differently.

It requires luck because fewer Gjallarhorns make this affair harder and many dedicated players don't have it because of a randomized loot system. It requires luck because a glitch can mess up an otherwise flawless attempt skill-wise. It requires luck because lag has killed about as many Guardians as Ogres have. Luck because a Swordbearer's or Ogre's pathfinding algorithm can lead him to hide behind geometry instead of positioning where you can shoot them and mess up your timing. It requires luck because heavy ammo drops unpredictably and 5 months after launch a bug still causes you to lose it when you die.

How we react to this kind of frustration can't be uniform in a heterogeneous group of our size. Don't take a group's reaction to this frustration as a personal indicator of your lack of touch with the general player base or this community in particular.

I'm sure strategies will be perfected in the coming weeks and a lot of this frustration will go away. In the meantime, congratulations to those who have cleared it and patience to those who haven't. Let's honor Dinklebot and "Stay together, Guardians".

bitsurugi

Respect is lost when a game developers idea of upping the difficulty level is have enemies kill you faster while they're harder to kill and call it a day which is essentially what happened here, the fact that the whole raid is above the level cap just shows how piss poor Crota's End is designed overall VOG was at the level cap and still provided everyone to be on the ball like a well oiled machine, none of the "new mechanics" did fuck all to make it more challenging or require a re-thinking of how to approach the game outside of where to stand and pray the Ai isn't being random in the worst way.

Also with the changes the game demands perfection in imperfect conditions, pointing back to VoG you can at least compensate if laggy glitchy fuckery happens, here it's pretty much a wipe if the sword disappears just once or Crota skips frames, no matter how well you did beforehand.

I feel like just getting all the hard mode kit then bailing the fuck out, there's too much shit outside of everyone's control for this to be considered fun.

Agree, my thoughts exactly.

This is also why i dont mind cheesing NF's. How the hell they expect you to do it legit with angy/ligthswitch and arc burn on Photoght legit?
Basically when anything 1 shots you, the only viable counter is positioning to not get shot at all, which leads to cheese spots and ...imo it's NOT fun!

Well, it's just a theory, since i wasn't yet able to test in practice and it's a mix of the good part of our kill and the ''world record fast kill'', which has been posted on reddit and a new twist which i will need to test out, when i come home from work.

The video on reddit, is cool, the ledge at Crystal is easy, but relies on GGhorns and doing 3 runs the 1st sword.

I can tell you by experience that 3 runs per 1 sword is hard and not a reliable strat imo, since it needs perfect execution and even 2 seconds are important. While i think you can repeat it a few times, i highly doubt you can do it every time.

Just do 2 runs per 1st sword, stay either at ledge (altho imo it's a cheese, so if you are anti cheese, dont do it) or stay where we were at the stairs.
The thing i like from the reddit video is the bubble at the crota platform to protect the sword guy. Put it if it's not a hunter, otherwise have the sword guy use red death or some HP regain mechanic, depending on the class he has.

Now the twist, which i have thought in theory:

on the 2nd sword, why not just use the 1st rotation on Crota as usual, but the 2nd rotation, dont go on Crota, but kill the Gatekeeper down below. Team uses some sort of CC on him (supressor granades and stuff, kill adds nearby)
This way, when ogres, right after, spawn, you can go down the middle, just as on normal mode. Kill ogres, go back on stairs.

Next Keeper will spawn only when Swordbearer spawns - need to test that, but i am almost positive it's that way, so 2nd sword is safe to kill the keeper, since next Keeper comes when the 3rd Swordbearer comes.

On the 3rd sword do just as much dmg as needed before engrageing him, basically its a sort of ''delayed'' 2nd rotation of the 2nd sword.

4th sword is business as usuall and Crota should be down as on a normal strat. Mash in, engrage hits, dps crota's shield, kill him, collect loot.

So instead of 3 swords you do 4, 2nd and 3rd sword use are only 1 rotation, to prevent bad enrage timer (you must not hit enrage at a 2nd rotation of a sword).

Another trick for ogres i saw is on the reddit page, team nukes an ogre where he spawns in the bottom tower. Ignore the gatekeeper.

Any thoughts? As i've said, it's just my theory, haven't tested it, but it should be viable. The blind bubble strat at tower to delay boomers worked well, i hope this one somewhat also helps.

I tired that and the gatekeeper spawns again almost immediately after you kill it. We had better luck blinding the gatekeeper with a bubble and focus on the ogres.

That hand cannon is barely keeping me running the hard mode. If it dropped anywhere else, I probably wouldnt bother finishing it.

The effort required for getting raid primaries seems too much.

bitsurugi

I tired that and the gatekeeper spawns again almost immediately after you kill it. We had better luck blinding the gatekeeper with a bubble and focus on the ogres.

Bah, hoped it's tied to a swordbearear spawn, much like bridge. Too bad then.

Might be worth to try the ''nuke ogre down below the tower'', seems to be the best.

BTW, if you kill ogres at stairs, make sure to put a bubble so it protects you from Crota pew pew lazers and, this imo is critical, have 1 guy dedicated to kill thralls and cursed thralls coming from the up tower. They jump on the bridge, next to middle, where Crota is at start, so you can safely dispatch them before they come nearby and cause havok to the others, who will be focusing on ogres or boomers.

sounds outdated from before the DLC.

new route, any level:
-vanguard bounties to get rank 3, giving you 1 commendation
-vanguard marks, max 100 per week (a new playlist of random strikes give marks)
-in two weeks (or at least crossing one weekly reset on monday night) earn at least 150 marks
-crucible bounties to get rank 3, giving you 1 commendation
-crucible marks, max 100 per week (33-50 matches of pvp)
-in two weeks (or at least crossing one weekly reset on monday night) earn at least 150 marks
in one of the two types, earn 195 marks

buy armor + gloves/boots vanguard/crucible armor for 75x2 +1 commendation
buy helmet +gloves/boots vanguard/crucible armor for 120 + 72 + 1 commendation

do dailies to earn shards to level up the armor
since you're 28 you should do the raid since you can get many shards there.

this will earn you lvl 31. fromt here, crota's end will earn you armor and shards for level 32

more variations:
xur armor (36 light) (bought with coins earned from wekly heroic strike and random engrams)
urn quest (gloves with 33 light)

these can replace having to earn/spend vanguard marks and thus make you able to hit 31 without waiting for a weekly reset.

Thanks for posting this, is going to be very helpful.

This is my current gear:

http://destinystatus.com/xbl/mocolostrocolos

My frustrated tone after a solo legit Nightfall where I earn 6 Strange Coins can't be the same as the whimsical "we cheesed and got dupe Gjallarhorns lol". This paves the way for a variety of opinions and experiences which will be communicated in a wide range of terms. Some will vent their exasperation in more impassioned tones than others. At times we can find ourselves in the minority with regards to how we judge an in-game situation.

Great post, this point is pretty important. I recently rewatched an interview with DeeJ where he reiterated the line that every weapon should have a story and that gamers should be able to remember the great feats that were overcome to land a particular piece of loot. He specifically calls out a hypothetical situation that "I got this gun, when I beat this mission on Mars at the highest level of difficulty" etc....

What he fails to acknowledge or gets lost in this is that millions of people completed the same Heroic feat and beat the mission, yet only a tiny fraction got something really cool or exciting from it. Couple this with the fact that others get top tier drops from AFKing in crucible or happen to load into a Nightfall as the killing blow is made and the "Epic Stories" we have collecting loot are as much RNG as the loot itself.

Feorax

Thinking about progression, would anyone have an objection to a system where running the raid guarantees you one piece of raid gear you don't currently have at the end of the raid, right up until your 5th raid run in which the system reverts to the current RNG?

Maybe there's something I havent thought of here, but it just makes too much sense to me to have a guaranteed reward of progression for completing a task.

MrS

Banned

I got it after we killed Crota. It's not fully levelled yet but it's decent. A little harder to be accurate with than Fatebringer in terms of crit hits but the damage it does is good.

Waldini

Whoa...

Did not expect the Hard Mode Raid backlash this much. Its pure lazyness to make enemies 33 though. They should not have done that.

Thinking about progression, would anyone have an objection to a system where running the raid guarantees you one piece of raid gear you don't currently have at the end of the raid, right up until your 5th raid run in which the system reverts to the current RNG?

Maybe there's something I havent thought of here, but it just makes too much sense to me to have a guaranteed reward of progression for completing a task.

The biggest problem is that your Light level is more important than anything else. It is a very odd concept that the level of your Armor plays a bigger role in how much damage you are able to deliver than the weapon you are using. Weapon upgraded or not, going up 1 Light level will make a huge difference in your DPS.

There needs to be a little more scaling of damage in between levels because right now, someone who is level 31 (132 Light) is exactly the same as level 31 (143 Light). Yet getting 1 more Light will grant a 30% increase in damage? That doesn't make any sense. The whole progression system needs an overhaul.

SkylineRKR

Yeah, this is on hard. I couldn't take out the hardened ogre with just an Ice Breaker as a level 32. Weapon was maxed out too. Did you get crits and stagger him every time? My black hammer was a bit better but there wasn't quite enough time to get him before he started shooting me.

The Ogre on Hard is a bitch. Only way to kill him IIRC is 5 Gjallarhorn shots (yes, this baby again). And when he would spawn in my sightline right away, I'd die. Its best when he goes behind the rock and you can potshot him when he pops up. They seem to have angry too, Black Hammer didn't touch him at all.

KeRaSh

Ha, true. I was so shocked when I missed a Crota escape and he hit me but only activated my Don't Touch Me gauntlets.

Wait, does the perk actually negate the damage and instead activate invisibility? I thought you took the hit and then turned invisible.

Always set yourself in a Closed Freteam when doing tricky solo's! People usually want to help with raids or come reap the rewards :D

I learned my lesson the hard way. I just keep telling myself that I wouldn't have gotten a weapon drop yesterday anyways but I'll get one tonight.
It'll be the other way around...

I thought the same thing. The more time passes now, the more time people have to amass a fortune of coins again.
I bought two IBs and one Obsidian Mind and I still have 140ish coins in my vault...

Steroyd

Whoa...

Did not expect the Hard Mode Raid backlash this much. Its pure lazyness to make enemies 33 though. They should not have done that.

The encounter itself isn't hard, but everything has to be perfect from from lag all the way to the swordbearer's Ai path basically.

And yes Bungie seemed to have blew their load having Crota on normal hit 32, what a joke.

Omni

Honestly a little disappointed with the Abyss Defiant

I hope the Hive perks are amazing because I feel like the VoC is better than this.

KeRaSh

Honestly a little disappointed with the Abyss Defiant

I hope the Hive perks are amazing because I feel like the VoC is better than this.

How's the damage with the slow-fire-higher-damage when ADSing? With the stability perk it should be pretty good, right? It'll definitely replace my Up for Anything which is a similar type auto rifle but with worse perks.
Also it has a "fuck wizards" perk which makes this gun great already.

GlamFM

Banned
So what are your thought on this thing:

481.jpg

Tried it this morning with Dhruv and felt underpowered.

KeRaSh

481.jpg

I'll use it for Arc Nightfalls. Yes, the Fatebringer might still be better but wait until House of Wolves when the damage will be upped again. At some point the 300 cap will become a problem and then this thing comes to play.
I also don't have a Fatebringer so I'm happy. :>

Looks pretty good.

You should go for an exotic helmet next.

And I´m not a fan of your Primary (or any pulse rifle)

You are Raid-ready though. You should go for all the VoG primaries.

Nor am I, but that's best I have.

I didn't max the helmet on purpouse, to get one from Xur. Already farmed the 13 strange coins :)

I have tried VoG twice but we sucked balls.

I've LFG con destinylfg.com but is very chaotic.

481.jpg

On the raid? Everything will feel underpowered there. 😭

I think I burned out yesterday. At least 6 hours trying to beat crota. I just dont feel like playing right now.

Same as druhv, i dont see the carrot anymore.

bitsurugi

I didn't max the helmet on purpouse, to get one from Xur. Already farmed the 13 strange coins :)

I am running VoG on hard every week for exotics with my group, poke me so we can carry you with us, if you see me online (we usually do it on reset day).

ocean

Banned

Get an Exotic Helm. Ignore that old chest since it maxes at 27. Upgrade your Exotic Helm and post-DLC Legendaries (gauntlets and boots). That'll be enough to take you to level 30.

Keep running VoG and doing at least one Public Event and Daily Heroic a day for shards. This way you can get to 30 and run CE. You'll then slowly swap out to Raid gear and hit 31/32.

even those seem hardly worth it but i can't resist an elemental hand cannon and scout and an exotic :|

Precisely. I mean there's nothing about them that screams awesome... White nail on a primary and a shitty highlighting gimmick aren't that great. Definitely ain't no VoC/Fatebringer. Tbh i just mainly want the handcannon for voidburn. And the crux. Interested in necrochasm I must admit

Carbonox

481.jpg

I use it currently and it's handy to a degree though I'm not a fan of pulse rifles in general. I'm quite limited in terms of my primaries but it's proving to be reliable enough for now. Until I get one of the top handcannons/auto-rifles, I'll stick with it for PVE (pulse rifles in PVP suck).

GlamFM

Banned

There are Newbie runs on GAF and I´m always happy to help newcomers.

Look for one of those.

I am running VoG on hard every week for exotics with my group, poke me so we can carry you with us, if you see me online (we usually do it on reset day).

Thanks, I you can add me, my GT is mocolostrocolos. I'm currently at work so I can't add you.

Get an Exotic Helm. Ignore that old chest since it maxes at 27. Upgrade your Exotic Helm and post-DLC Legendaries (gauntlets and boots). That'll be enough to take you to level 30.

Keep running VoG and doing at least one Public Event and Daily Heroic a day for shards. This way you can get to 30 and run CE. You'll then slowly swap out to Raid gear and hit 31/32.

Will do that, thanks for the tips.

There are Newbie runs on GAF and I´m always happy to help newcomers.

Look for one of those.

I will. thanks ;)

Top Bottom