• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

Omni

How's the damage with the slow-fire-higher-damage when ADSing? With the stability perk it should be pretty good, right? It'll definitely replace my Up for Anything which is a similar type auto rifle but with worse perks.
Also it has a "fuck wizards" perk which makes this gun great already.

I can't remember what I was shooting. Pretty sure it was a major. But I was dealing about 110 damage per bullet with the hip fire perk activated. When I turned the slow rate of fire perk on, that damage went to like 150.

It really feels like a mediocre weapon. Doesn't help that sounds the same as literally every other auto rifle in the game either.

So what are your thought on this thing:

481.jpg

Tried it this morning with Dhruv and felt underpowered.

Like the auto rifle, I see no reason to really use it unless the hive perks are amazing in the raid. The fatebringer is far more effective from what I can tell.

Manp

Respect is lost when a game developers idea of upping the difficulty level is have enemies kill you faster while they're harder to kill and call it a day which is essentially what happened here, the fact that the whole raid is above the level cap just shows how piss poor Crota's End is designed overall VOG was at the level cap and still provided everyone to be on the ball like a well oiled machine, none of the "new mechanics" did fuck all to make it more challenging or require a re-thinking of how to approach the game outside of where to stand and pray the Ai isn't being random in the worst way.

i feel like there's someone going around bungie's office feeling all proud of himself for being some sort of game design genius about this...

ocean

Banned
Thanks, I you can add me, my GT is mocolostrocolos. I'm currently at work so I can't add you.

Will do that, thanks for the tips.

I will. thanks ;)

Also, Pulse Rifles aren't too great. Grind Vanguard or Crucible marks so you can afford a proper primary :p Hand Cannons and Scout Rifles are generally considered the best for PvE, but a good Auto Rifle can sort of qualify as well. Another NITC and Badger are good Scouts from the Vanguard seller. Crucible vendor has the Saterienne Rapier (great Scout) and TFWPKY 1969 (great Hand Cannon). Pick your poison!

Also, Pulse Rifles aren't too great. Grind Vanguard or Crucible marks so you can afford a proper primary :p Hand Cannons and Scout Rifles are generally considered the best for PvE, but a good Auto Rifle can sort of qualify as well. Another NITC and Badger are good Scouts from the Vanguard seller. Crucible vendor has the Saterienne Rapier (great Scout) and TFWPKY 1969 (great Hand Cannon). Pick your poison!

My favourite are Scout rifles, but as I said, I don't have anything better.

Well, I have a Husk of the Pit that I'm leveling up from time to time, since I don't have Eris on level 3 yet to buy the upgrade item.

Hyun Sai

I'm wondering myself if those mediocre rewards are worth the trouble. Crappy primary weapons I will only use in Nightfall when current VoG are doing more than the job. Crux as a rare drop for a high rate of fire no damage exotic autorifle.

What's the point ?

I'm wondering myself if those mediocre rewards are worth the trouble. Crappy primary weapons I will only use in Nightfall when current VoG are doing more than the job. Crux as a rare drop for a high rate of fire no damage exotic autorifle.

What's the point ?

My ego tells me to beat it as now in its shitty state. However this is coming from a crazy person who did flawless raider on VoG and achieved it when VoG was extremely bugged due to the anti cheesing patch.

KeRaSh

I can't remember what I was shooting. Pretty sure it was a major. But I was dealing about 110 damage per bullet with the hip fire perk activated. When I turned the slow rate of fire perk on, that damage went to like 150.

It really feels like a mediocre weapon. Doesn't help that sounds the same as literally every other auto rifle in the game either.

Like the auto rifle, I see no reason to really use it unless the hive perks are amazing in the raid. The fatebringer is far more effective from what I can tell.

Well my Up for Anything is doing 96 crits to Swordbearers in HM Crota's End so it seems like a slight upgrade none the less.
As for the Fatebringer: Like I said earlier. At some point the 300 damage cap will hold it back more than it does good. I suspect that time will come when House of Wolves arrives in March.

Also: House of Wolves weapons seem a lot better than what we got from Crota. The auto rifle seems like a Shadow Price kind of deal. Want so much...

Omni

What's the point ?

The only thing that looks remotely interesting is the new hand cannon. Mainly because the epilogue is a piece of shit. Haha

And the shader is pretty badass

Omni

Well my Up for Anything is doing 96 crits to Swordbearers in HM Crota's End so it seems like a slight upgrade none the less.
As for the Fatebringer: Like I said earlier. At some point the 300 damage cap will hold it back more than it does good. I suspect that time will come when House of Wolves arrives in March.
Maybe. I dunno. The difference between 300 and 330 damage weapons is just 10%. And we could probably take a guess that the next expansion increases that to 20%. Which yeah, is big in multiplayer. But in PvE where most enemies require loads of bullets anyway? I doubt most would notice, honestly. /shrugs

Only time will tell I guess.

A fully maxed Epilogue is a beast in Void Nightfalls. It practically melts enemies.
I hate those high rate of fire, low impact guns.

(I also think the necrochasm is going to be trash because of it)

noomi

You know what? Fuck this raid.

We spent probably around 6 hours, with over 4 being at Crota.... we had him down, multiple times... to a FUCKING SLIVER of health, then enrage and death. GAWD!

Bugs? Sure.... knights going through glass, sword disappearing all that usual shit.

To the guys (you know who you are) that stuck it out with us yesterday, thank you... seriously thanks for being patient and trying to get it done, we tried.

Let me also just say that I'm really sorry about the stupid mistakes and deaths on my part. It makes you feel real shitty when your whole team is depending on you, everyone gets pumped about how close we are, and then I fucking get killed :| My timing was off, stupid mistakes, glitches, frustration and being tired was getting to me after that many hours and I just couldn't play as effectively as I normally do.

Those who raid with me each week, know I don't fuck around with the sword and I get Crota down quick and easy. Hard mode feels like too much man, give us the chalice or remove enrage at the end....

I feel like a zombie this morning after 4 hours of sleep... I'm off to work, we'll try again later.

<3 DestinyGAF

Rixa

Oh. You just jump at the second lamp instead of being launched. Really easy if you go on an angle.

The only trouble I had there was the ogre. I don't have a jellyhorn and I could only get him to about 1/4 health before he would kill me. So I'd buy my time as long as possible, place a bubble on the rock and wait it out. Ogre doesn't move

How does this 2nd lamp thing work? Anyone got videos? Ive always done first part legit way so dont know the answer.

Steroyd

I changed my mind slightly on the raid auto rifle, it harks back to the old generation of auto rifles, but it's still a pea shooter and it's mag is still piss poor, wouldn't mind using it for a solar burn so there's that.

My ego tells me to beat it as now in its shitty state. However this is coming from a crazy person who did flawless raider on VoG and achieved it when VoG was extremely bugged due to the anti cheesing patch.

I think we really need to nail him when he moves to one of the sides at least once, that way we have room for error, heck if we can do that he might go down before the ogre part which relieves even more stress.

We need to come up with a stress free downing of Crota because that's what it is right now, a ball of stress.

Jinjo

We spent probably around 6 hours, with over 4 being at Crota.... we had him down, multiple times... to a FUCKING SLIVER of health, then enrage and death. GAWD!

Bugs? Sure.... knights going through glass, sword disappearing all that usual shit.

To the guys (you know who you are) that stuck it out with us yesterday, thank you... seriously thanks for being patient and trying to get it done, we tried.

Let me also just say that I'm really sorry about the stupid mistakes and deaths on my part. It makes you feel real shitty when your whole team is depending on you, everyone gets pumped about how close we are, and then I fucking get killed :| My timing was off, stupid mistakes, glitches, frustration and being tired was getting to me after that many hours and I just couldn't play as effectively as I normally do.

Those who raid with me each week, know I don't fuck around with the sword and I get Crota down quick and easy. Hard mode feels like too much man, give us the chalice or remove enrage at the end....

I feel like a zombie this morning after 4 hours of sleep... I'm off to work, we'll try again later.

<3 DestinyGAF

Waiting with hard mode to fix cheeses/exploits is one thing, but this time it feels like hard mode is deliberately designed to fuck with the most established/best strats in taking down Crota. That's not adding challenge, that's just fucking with your players/adding artificial difficulty. Making the enemies more bullet spongy after players telling time and time again the bullet sponge enemies are absolutely horrible. And this time they just take it to the fucking next level. Relatively safe zone in the middle hallway, fuck that, here's an invincible fucking enemy that respawns instantly when you kill it. Dedicated knight sniper, here, have a fucking major wizard when you kill them. Swordbearers are getting too reliable in killing Crota? Here have a fucking insta-enrage when you're about to kill him just to fuck you over right before the finish line. The lack of chalice is one thing, but the other additions are just making shit frustatingly difficult for the sake of making it difficult. Instead of adding you know, another Crota form or any other mechanically interesting challenge to the endboss.

Just no.

Shito

So, guys: did anyone tried to equip Eidolon's Ally before Crota dies?
I don't think it does anything, but it's at least worth trying...

Making the enemies more bullet spongy after players telling time and time again the bullet sponge enemies are absolutely horrible. And this time they just take it to the fucking next level.
What's funny is that, officially, they are still supposed to be working on a fix to make bosses less spongy...

I changed my mind slightly on the raid auto rifle, it harks back to the old generation of auto rifles, but it's still a pea shooter and it's mag is still piss poor, wouldn't mind using it for a solar burn so there's that.

I think we really need to nail him when he moves to one of the sides at least once, that way we have room for error, heck if we can do that he might go down before the ogre part which relieves even more stress.

We need to come up with a stress free downing of Crota because that's what it is right now, a ball of stress.
Yeah I watched some of the strategics videos. Meh I think my enrage phase is over. I still want to beat this shit so I will still run it whenever the team is able to do it.

edit:
So, guys: did anyone tried to equip Eidolon's Ally before Crota dies?
I don't think it does anything, but it's at least worth trying...

What's funny is that, officially, they are still supposed to be working on a fix to make bosses less spongy...
Well I guess they are technical "less spongy" just the leveling scaling + lag +glitches ;)

Waiting with hard mode to fix cheeses/exploits is one thing, but this time it feels like hard mode is deliberately designed to fuck with the most established/best strats in taking down Crota. That's not adding challenge, that's just fucking with your players/adding artificial difficulty. Making the enemies more bullet spongy after players telling time and time again the bullet sponge enemies are absolutely horrible. And this time they just take it to the fucking next level. Relatively safe zone in the middle hallway, fuck that, here's an invincible fucking enemy that respawns instantly when you kill it. Dedicated knight sniper, here, have a fucking major wizard when you kill them. Swordbearers are getting too reliable in killing Crota? Here have a fucking insta-enrage when you're about to kill him just to fuck you over right before the finish line. The lack of chalice is one thing, but the other additions are just making shit frustatingly difficult for the sake of making it difficult. Instead of adding you know, another Crota form or any other mechanically interesting challenge to the endboss.

Just no.

Agree with this. I never liked the Crota fight and this is just too much.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Aargh... didn't kill hard Crota tonight through no fault of our own. Four different times we had people get disconnected just before Crota was about to die and it fucked us. My group's Crota strategy is on fucking point though - honestly we were doing really well at Crota and struggled with the bridge of places. We'll definitely kill him tomorrow.

I'm really enjoying the Crota fight though... it feels damn good having everyone fill their roles and work like a well oiled machine.

Did the first part solo with Hunter and Don't Touch Me, the strategy is still the same, you just have to put 6 Horn rockets into the yellow Ogre.

Holy crap. First run with at release took ~3 hours. This time it took damn near 12 with 10 of those being at Crota, but we finally pulled it off using the strategy posted on youtube for the fastest HM Crota kill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-o6sk8QLdc&amp;feature=youtu.be

Shout out to androo2300 (140.85 here on Gaf) for sticking through it with me.

After that marathon I echo the sentiments I'm reading here. The Crota encounter is overkill. Even with a solid strat the stars have to align in order to cross the finish line.

My raid primary haul after 2 runs:

1x Oversoul Edict
1x Abyss Defiant
2x Word of Crota

Still one more run to go on my lock but I'm gonna take a break til this weekend I think.

bitsurugi

Holy crap. First run with at release took ~3 hours. This time it took damn near 12 with 10 of those being at Crota, but we finally pulled it off using the strategy posted on youtube for the fastest HM Crota kill:

After that marathon I echo the sentiments I'm reading here. The Crota encounter is overkill. Even with a solid strat the stars have to align in order to cross the finish line.

1x Oversoul Edict
1x Abyss Defiant
2x Word of Crota

Still one more run to go on my lock but I'm gonna take a break til this weekend I think.

Gratz on the 2nd kill! I had no energy (or incentive) to do one more Crota kill right away, i rather enjoyed in the 1st kill a bit more.

Basically you are right, stars need to allign somehow, plus you still need good/skilled ppl, with maxed gear, otherwise it's just a chore.

Not much incentive to play on HM after you get all the sweet loot though. Bungie was kinda lazy to not put a HM raid armor set IMO (should also be the best set to have after HoW launches, not some stupid vendor gear, but that's another issue).

Fuck! Why didn't I think of that, was trying all sorts on how to generate orbs, the obvious was right fucking there.

Well if you and the rest of the crew are up for it, we can attempt this later today. however I wont be available for another ~8 hours tho or anything Saturday. I refuse to give up &#12541;(&#65359;`&#30399;&#8242;&#65359;)&#65417;
edit: I pmed drizzay, so just pm me the time whenever we figure things out.

Jaeyden

Came out of the raid quite disappointed last night. Seeing as how we had to wait six weeks for this raid to come out I think I was expecting a little something else. All the talk of new mechanics had me hoping for a Crota's Presence debuff from the beginning with a chalice for the party or something interesting like that to mix things up.The fact that this mode is just higher level enemies and yellow bar bullet sponges with the "don't die" caveat was a bit of a let down. At least with VoG you always felt like you could continually improve your character to make the next weeks run a bit easier. In VoG the encounters feel like the challenge not just the enemies. Since the enemies are all 33 this raid will be the same thing every week and more of a chore than a fun progression that rewards players for their coordination rather than how many crits they can land on yellow bar knights.

Overall the TDB experience has been rather mediocre in my opinion and in the end feels like little effort went into it. The recycled missions and strikes, the super short raid and the fact that all the rewards are basically vendor gear with Hive scabs pasted on the outside feels like they really didn't have any time to work on the DLC...which is probably the case. I'm sympathetic to this because I understand how it can be to have little time and a lot to deliver but I really don't think it deserves the £20($30) price tag.

TsuWave

fighting crota in hard mode is not fun.

I just had so much more fun with vault of glass than I ever did with crota's end. even the VoG rewards, bar the 300 cap, seem better.

MrS

Banned

Just no.
It's hard mode. What did you expect? Things to be easier? There are already legit strategies to beating the hard raid that are doable for a well coordinated fireteam, bugs notwithstanding.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled

1x Oversoul Edict
1x Abyss Defiant
2x Word of Crota

Anytime, man! Thanks for stayin' strong and keepin the group sane throughout, haha.

And yeah, the lottery nature of the encounter is stupid. Absolutely infuriatingly stupid. I'd say at least 90% of our wipes were random shit that had nothing to do with skill or failure to execute the plan.

Grats on the Words.

I got:
1x Oversoul Edict
2x Abyss Defiant
1x Fang of Ir-Yut

Steroyd

Well if you and the rest of the crew are up for it, we can attempt this later today. however I wont be available for another ~8 hours tho or anything Saturday. I refuse to give up &#12541;(&#65359;`&#30399;&#8242;&#65359;)&#65417;
edit: I pmed drizzay, so just pm me the time whenever we figure things out.

Yeah we had good runs, it's just the longer it went on the more basic mistakes kept creeping in.

Love all the people bitching about hard mode.

Look no further easy mode is still right in there waiting for you.

But the mediocre shit is hard mode only drops, I want the mediocre shit. :mad:

Nuszka

<3 DestinyGAF

Yeah know what you mean mate. I will be available like on Saturday evening , currently relaxing for two days at a beautiful cottage with wife and friends , lots of boozing and sightseeing, clear the head and get back more determined then ever , we will own crota , I know we will.

Shito

Love all the people bitching about hard mode.

Look no further easy mode is still right in there waiting for you.
As someone with no affect or ego in the matter (didn't try hard mode -- heck, didn't even completed normal Crota yet), all I see are people bitching about the numerous bugs making hard mode unfair at the moment.

Thanks mate.

Seriously. I have never seen you post as much as you are lately. Enjoying the difficulty people are having with the hard mode Crota fight.

Your elitism and snarky comments are not welcome here. We help each other out here not make people feel down.

Enough.

I agree.

At night. I need a break from destiny to recharge my batteries.

Btw, Mindlog was doing a great work but the damage output on crota from the sword during the world record is just destroying ours. We need to figure out what combo they are using.

Sounds good! I just got up haha. Send me a message when you're ready tonight.

Top Bottom