• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

LTWood12

Seriously, look at the weapon perks added with Taken King and tell me you've ever been excited to get one of these on a weapon.

WILL OF LIGHT
This weapon deals bonus damage against Taken enemies.
HANNIBAL
This weapon deals bonus damage against Cabal Centurions.
MUTINY
This weapon deals bonus damage against Fallen Captains.
GUERRILLA FIGHTER
Increased accuracy, handling and damage resistance when shooting this weapon from behind cover.
LIFE LEECH
Three rapid kills with this weapon heals a small amount and starts health regeneration
RESCUE MAG
Chance to refill this weapon’s magazine when critically wounded.
UNDERDOG
This weapon gains a boost to range and handling when health is low.
EYE OF THE STORM
This weapon becomes more accurate as your health gets lower.
LIFE SUPPORT (Updated)
Kills with this weapon while critically wounded have a chance to start regenerating health.

Any perk that requires you or your teammates to literally die is so laughably stupid. Couldn't agree more with this post.

I said this all the time in year 1.

A weapon/armor perk that triggers on death is terrible. I used to argue that fast revive perks in Year 1 Trials were worthless. If you're dying you aren't doing it right anyway. Better to have a perk that makes the killing part easier.

Now, though, all the year 2 perks suck, and death seems to be inevitable enough, that I use these perks.

Jesus, second wind is amazing, and is damn near mandatory if you are playing on Cathedral.

Seriously, look at the weapon perks added with Taken King and tell me you've ever been excited to get one of these on a weapon.

WILL OF LIGHT
HANNIBAL
MUTINY
GUERRILLA FIGHTER
Increased accuracy, handling and damage resistance when shooting this weapon from behind cover.
LIFE LEECH
Three rapid kills with this weapon heals a small amount and starts health regeneration
RESCUE MAG
UNDERDOG
EYE OF THE STORM
LIFE SUPPORT (Updated)
Kills with this weapon while critically wounded have a chance to start regenerating health.

These would be awesome perks as Artifacts.

As is, they take away from other dramatically better perks that aren't situational.

WipedOut

LIFE LEECH

The only worth while perk, it's great on the Raid HMG .

Homeboyd

WILL OF LIGHT
HANNIBAL
MUTINY
GUERRILLA FIGHTER
LIFE LEECH
RESCUE MAG
UNDERDOG
EYE OF THE STORM
LIFE SUPPORT (Updated)

LTWood12

WILL OF LIGHT
HANNIBAL
MUTINY
GUERRILLA FIGHTER
LIFE LEECH
RESCUE MAG
UNDERDOG
EYE OF THE STORM
LIFE SUPPORT (Updated)

^Compare these to:
Outlaw
Third Eye
Firefly
Field Scout
Perfect Balance
Zen Moment
Final Round
Luck in the Chamber
Hammer Forged
Shot Package
Crowd Control
Full Auto

Not that all of these are amazing, but most are at least useful and some feel incredible on the right weapon. Look at the TTK perks compared to these and it really feels like 'No fun allowed.' Seriously I hope they have the sense to trash every one of those year 2 perks so we have a smaller pool of good stuff.

RESCUE MAG

I actually like rescue mag, procs quite often on my last extremity that I use. Also has hand laid stock and firefly, was disappointed when I saw rescue mag but the perk isn't the worst. Infused the gun to 320.

LTWood12

I actually like rescue mag, procs quite often on my last extremity that I use. Also has hand laid stock and firefly, was disappointed when I saw rescue mag but the perk isn't the worst. Infused the gun to 320.

Are you excited about rescue mag, or do you just kind of tolerate it? Would you rather have it over outlaw? Full auto? Third Eye? In a pool of shitty perks, you're right, it's one of the better ones.

^Compare these to:
Outlaw
Third Eye
Firefly
Field Scout
Perfect Balance
Zen Moment
Final Round
Luck in the Chamber
Hammer Forged
Shot Package
Crowd Control
Full Auto

Not that all of these are amazing, but most are at least useful and some feel incredible on the right weapon. Look at the TTK perks compared to these and it really feels like 'No fun allowed.' Seriously I hope they have the sense to trash every one of those year 2 perks so we have a smaller pool of good stuff.

Why has no one mentioned the brilliance that is Icarus yet? :p

Though, Perfect Balance and Zen Moment may as well have been the same thing.

OT: I'm having people over for a Beerio kart session tonight. Any ideas how to turn mario kart into a tournament game for 8 people?

The perks introduced in year 2 to weapons really are a complete joke for the most part. We gave up things like field scout, final round, & shot package to:

Exhumed-This weapon gains improved range and handling for a short time after revival.

Yo guys I'm gonna die so you guys can res me for the range & handling buff.

Partial Refund
Chance to return a portion of the magazine after an assist.
Guys I'm going to widdle these enemies down but ya'll kill them so that I might get a reload.

We want to feel powerful. Get rid of this shit.

You're playing Demon Hunter in Diablo 3, right?

What if I told you there was a belt that made Vault free of cost for a few seconds whenever you used impale.

I found such a belt last night @_@ I want that in Destiny. Have a Rocket Launcher that whenever you use it, Blink becomes free for a few seconds with no cooldown.

Raven117

Hard to say because it's been so long since I've played. I don't know what recent (if any) nerfs have taken place to weapon classes themselves, so even if they did bring back some of those weapons, they still would still likely be a shadow of their former selves.

If you're asking if they straight up copied a yr 1 fatebringer/IB/gjally/vision/BH from yr 1 to yr 2, would I still play; at this point, no, probably not. There's a lot of other issues I have with the game post-ttk that have also kept me from coming back, but if those were available from the start as something to work towards, I definitely wouldn't have dropped the game so quickly. I would prefer, at this point, that they create new gear that is just as powerful as the yr 1 stuff to incentivize the grind as opposed to the 100's of guns/perks that all feel equally weak and dull to use we have now. The gun perks just don't matter anymore for pve content, but beyond that, every weapon class has been neutered many times.

They say guns like black hammer, gjally, and ice breaker were broken and the way they performed was not intended and that it ruined the sandbox. Ok, fair enough. So then your solution is to make sure everything feels equally pitiful when you pull the trigger in the name of balance. I didn't see how that was a better, more entertaining or rewarding result for me so I left. Getting a Fatebringer, IB and Gjally were 3 of my favorite memories of yr 1 Destiny considering how long it took me to get those guns and how much fun it was to use them once I got them (also seeing you guys chase the stuff you wanted so badly and being there when you got them was right up there too). That was the fun for me and was the reason I logged in every night. Will tonight be the night I finally get the Ice Breaker? Will Trance FINALLY get his Fatebringer? Will Thirsty EVER get a Gjallarhorn? It was worth running every activity every week that could drop exotics for the slight chance that those things could happen. There's nothing in yr 2 I would consider spending even 1/10th the time chasing that I did for those things.

The one thing I think they got RIGHT in TTK were the exotics in terms of getting them. Complete reliance on RNG (especially with how stingy it can be) is not a good way to progress a character. For some folks, they can run 3 nightfalls, and 6 raids a week, but for normal people this is a tall order. I MUCH rather prefer a system where there are long (and even boring) quests where at least you KNOW that you are making progress on some level. That you are working towards something.

Yeah, it took away the highs of having G-horn drop, but the lows of not getting one for months is just too much IMO. (And this is coming from someone who had a G-horn drop in Vanilla before The Dark Below).

However, I agree that they nerfed the ever-living snot out of the pve weapons. Nothing feels fun to use. End game raid guns should feel completely OP and laughably awesome. Fatebringer, Black Hammer, Ghorn, Vision, Fang...all were so much fun to use. You felt all your grinding was worth it to get to the end game and raid to be rewarded with being the baddest guardian in the tower. Bungie's "it takes away the sandbox" mentality is silly because they took away the fun.

The race up to the raid can be as sandbox as it wants...we can use those going forward if we want, but damn, don't take away the fun Bungie. And that's what they did with the endgame of TTK...they took away the fun.

(I will say that some of you guys are too focused on the 320 light level...Its just a number). Anything over 312 and you are rocking all of the end game content.

That was the glory of Vanilla. Fatebringer, Vision, Ghorn, Icebreaker, and other weapons actually changed the way you played the game. It actually gave MORE variety than the snooze-fest we have now. The gear chase now is just a number...and I refuse to do that.

What if I told you there was a belt that made Vault free of cost for a few seconds whenever you used impale.

I found such a belt last night @_@ I want that in Destiny. Have a Rocket Launcher that whenever you use it, Blink becomes free for a few seconds with no cooldown.

giphy.gif

LTWood12

That would be rad. I want a weapon that triggers War Machine after any headshot kill.

Are you excited about rescue mag, or do you just kind of tolerate it? Would you rather have it over outlaw? Full auto? Third Eye? In a pool of shitty perks, you're right, it's one of the better ones.

Obviously I just tolerate it, I agree new perks are not great.

They need to up drop rates and add a ton of new perks (from awesome to ho-hum) if they aren't going to add more weapons to the pool. That way at least stuff is dropping(even if it's crap) and you can chase that one OP perk combo.

Loot just doesn't drop enough, farming omnigul for a couple hours and I don't think one purple weapon engram dropped. Armor did but no weapons between all of us.

That would be rad. I want a weapon that triggers War Machine after any headshot kill.

See, that would be great. Give Exotics a 'bonus' exotic perk that rolls depending on your class. Sunsingers get DoTs on their weapons after X headshots, Titans get Warmachine, Hunters...I dunno, Hunters trip over themselves when scoping on a sniper rifle.

The Legendary gunsmith weapons were a good start-That is the Defender based shotgun and the Warlock Fusion Rifle and the Sniper Rifle, we need more of that. Bungie has the capacity to do it. They need to lean into it and not make any cool perk 'Exotic-exclusive'. Let us break the damn game by having perks that work with each other. None of this 'Oh only 1 exotic because exotics are too epic to hold more than 1'

LTWood12

What about the perk where you get a bonus when you are the last living member of your fireteam. Sooooo great.

Yo T-44 and Mars you guys die so I can have dat' sweet handling and stability.

Rescue Mag and Life Support are great in PVE.

When they actually proc. Any perk that has 'chance' in the description I'm not interested in. There's no reason both of those perks shouldn't proc 100% of the time.

I didn't even realise Destiny had a cover system til tried to find out what Guerilla Fighter did.

The best part about it is maps in PvP aren't designed around it. Most obstacles in PvP are taller/shorter than a standard cover item should be, thus the perk is only useful in PvE, and even then, it's not found in very many places.

The only PvP map I can think of that has cover walls on it is Widow's Court.

flkraven

The best part about it is maps in PvP aren't designed around it. Most obstacles in PvP are taller/shorter than a standard cover item should be, thus the perk is only useful in PvE, and even then, it's not found in very many places.

The only PvP map I can think of that has cover walls on it is Widow's Court.

Heck, the only PvE area I can really think of it being useful is the Mars strike in the last room.

WeTeHa

Did they update 3oC to only work on crucible wins (like the description says) and not match completions like before? Just lost a match and my buff was not consumed.

Edit: okay, apparently just a bug, it was consumed on the next loss.

LTWood12

Screw the haters. The game was better when we had beautiful things like this
NpLR25Wh.jpg

this was my beautiful baby, and they took her away from me.

Iceman829

THARNS, Red Death, Super shotties. I remember when crucible was enjoyable to me.

I think I'm done with IB rift. Didn't even get to rank 2. I'd rather play the division beta and enjoy x2 xp in call of duty. You know Bungie double xp something leveling up armor needs desperately instead of using 5000 motes for 1 exotic bubble.

deadduck

(Dirty fellwinters)

Earlier random package shotguns could roll shotpackage, Hammer forged and rangefinder. Current last word range, nothing could challenge it.

Ridiculous that fellwinters was a nerf!

Axoman

Speculation ahead...

We know there probably isn’t going to be any large content released prior to Destiny 2 (or whatever it is called) comes out and we know their tool chain is pretty inefficient, so I think I can make a guess on what may come.

I don’t know that they will, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a few months prior to the next big release, they come out with year 2 Etheric light. Not only will it bring any year 2 item to max attack/defense, but they expand it to any year 1 legendary/exotic item as well. BAM! All year 1 content relevant again! You get a large content increase with no actual new content being created. You don’t have to remix any year 1 activities or remove/change weapon perks. It’s all under the hood system work. For year 2 items, the infusion option is changed to require this new material and to max the light level. For year 1 items, the ascend option is updated to bring the item to 320 light instead of 170.

But you say they won’t do that because the year 1 stuff is too good and there are elemental primaries! It will break the game!

I say at that point it won’t matter because the next release will have a new leveling system and the guns will be left behind again, so we get a couple of months of weapon bliss again like we did with HoW. A lot of people that left the game would probably come back for this (at least temporarily) and it would raise hype for the next big release.

vctor182

WILL OF LIGHT
HANNIBAL
MUTINY
GUERRILLA FIGHTER
LIFE LEECH
RESCUE MAG
UNDERDOG
EYE OF THE STORM
LIFE SUPPORT (Updated)

I will vouch for Underdog, have it on my Eyasluna and along with rifled barrel it gives me the incentive to engage enemies at long distance because my aim and damage will get better even if I'm hit. My first 2 hits do around 60-70 dmg at long distance and when the perk triggers they do around 80-90 dmg so I can still 3 shot other players.

Anyone want to play Division Beta for ps4?

I don't feel like asking anyone in that thread since I know everyone here and a lot expressed interest.

Not even sure how many players we can have dp coop

Karl2177

The one thing I think they got RIGHT in TTK were the exotics in terms of getting them. Complete reliance on RNG (especially with how stingy it can be) is not a good way to progress a character. For some folks, they can run 3 nightfalls, and 6 raids a week, but for normal people this is a tall order. I MUCH rather prefer a system where there are long (and even boring) quests where at least you KNOW that you are making progress on some level. That you are working towards something.

Yeah, it took away the highs of having G-horn drop, but the lows of not getting one for months is just too much IMO. (And this is coming from someone who had a G-horn drop in Vanilla before The Dark Below).

However, I agree that they nerfed the ever-living snot out of the pve weapons. Nothing feels fun to use. End game raid guns should feel completely OP and laughably awesome. Fatebringer, Black Hammer, Ghorn, Vision, Fang...all were so much fun to use. You felt all your grinding was worth it to get to the end game and raid to be rewarded with being the baddest guardian in the tower. Bungie's "it takes away the sandbox" mentality is silly because they took away the fun.

The race up to the raid can be as sandbox as it wants...we can use those going forward if we want, but damn, don't take away the fun Bungie. And that's what they did with the endgame of TTK...they took away the fun.

(I will say that some of you guys are too focused on the 320 light level...Its just a number). Anything over 312 and you are rocking all of the end game content.

That was the glory of Vanilla. Fatebringer, Vision, Ghorn, Icebreaker, and other weapons actually changed the way you played the game. It actually gave MORE variety than the snooze-fest we have now. The gear chase now is just a number...and I refuse to do that.

Eh. There's still some Exotics in TTK that are bullshit, like the Spindle or the one where you have to go through the Vault on the Daily.

Namikaze1

Any word on the map yet?

Anyone want to play Division Beta for ps4?

I don't feel like asking anyone in that thread since I know everyone here and a lot expressed interest.

Not even sure how many players we can have dp coop
I'll be back on in an hour or so to play with Todd if you want to group up with us.

WipedOut

Oh nice. Are you going to play it?

I ran it on XB1, wasn't excited. I'm probably never going to buy it but I may download it on PS4 this weekend for when I need a break from shitty rift.

Trials is on Pantheon, Get your snipers out. Might as well call this one Dualing Snipers. Still need to get to Mercury once for year two if anyone wants to help a brother out this weekend.

Eh. There's still some Exotics in TTK that are bullshit, like the Spindle or the one where you have to go through the Vault on the Daily.

Wat

The spindle was the best way we ever had to get an exotic in this game. Something hidden (kinda) that the community discovers, is challenging and the reward is worth it. If we had 5 exotics that worked the way spindle did it would have been awesome.

Top Bottom