• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny receives a new Leveling System with The Taken King release. Step aside RNG.

Well, that's definitely piqued my interest in Destiny. With all this stuff, along with the Taken King disc bundle would it make a good single player experience now?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Good, I hate the light system. It punishes casuals and rewards people with perma-groups.

border

Outside of the 29-30 gap in vanilla Destiny, this wasn't really a problem to start with if you knew what you were doing. Etheric light solved any vestigial problems in the House of Wolves expansion.

I think it's less fun if gear is completely decoupled from progression and don't see much sense in this decision, but it doesn't bother me that much either:

gdt

Seems like Light Level gear is still a thing though guys. 40 is the base level before Light now.

At least I think so.

Valor

I haven't punched my ticket for the hype train since they're going to likely add a way to level up in the endgame like they currently do. Remember, they also "fixed" the drops for Crota as well. I would still bet that light level returns the same way it does now.

Lothars

The leveling system seems fine, It will be an interesting change.

I have a bigger issue with all the old raids becoming useless that make no sense.

Well, that's definitely piqued my interest in Destiny. With all this stuff, along with the Taken King disc bundle would it make a good single player experience now?

The best parts of the game will still be the Raids and Strikes unless the story is drastically improved. If you're dead-set against playing co-op with others, it's probably still best to avoid the game.

BONDO

What happens when you reach 40 without gear, and put some gear on? go past 40?

Gear should have a lvl cap to wear it.....but the armor itself shouldn't lvl you up anymore. its just exp based. Thats my understanding anyway

The best parts of the game will still be the Raids and Strikes unless the story is drastically improved. If you're dead-set against playing co-op with others, it's probably still best to avoid the game.
It's more that the friends I have who have destiny have bought it recently and have no plans to drop money on all the additional expansions so I'll be doing a lot solo if I did get it.

Although I do usually stick with single player anyway.

DNAbro

Seems like Light Level gear is still a thing though guys. 40 is the base level before Light now.

At least I think so.

I don't think so. I think they want us to have lots of options in gear, more horizontal progression with choice, rather than vertical progression.

gdt

I haven't punched my ticket for the hype train since they're going to likely add a way to level up in the endgame like they currently do. Remember, they also "fixed" the drops for Crota as well. I would still bet that light level returns the same way it does now.

But they actually did fix it. Sure some were super unlucky but for the community the drops were much better. No forever 31s at the time.

This is everything I could have wanted from this expansion. I'm very excited for TTK now. All that's left is a built in LFG or matchmaking.

OneUh8

So far I really like the direction they are going with the game here. I love Destiny and have played a ton with my friends. Really looking forward to TTK.

lyrick

Sounds awesome!

If this stuff would have been recognized a month or two post launch I would probably be excited instead of still harboring hatred for this fucking game.

They never should have matchmaking for those, an ingame lfg would be good.

Nightfalls should have match making. Its just a super hard Strike. Weekly Strikes where perfectly doable once they added matchmaking and I bet NF would be the same.

Same with some of the medium level Prison of Elders as well.

Raids and the high level POE stuff though I see a case for No Matchmaking though.

Krakn3Dfx

RlyF5ZH.jpg

Expansion hype

CNJUezJ.png

I'm kind of interested in Destiny again with this.

This change seems like the natural step to take after they changed how leveling and upgrading gear works in House of Wolves. With HoW, it's now relatively easy to reach 34 with Etheric Light; the stats and perks that came with specific pieces of armor and weapons are the new carrots. Bungie is just getting rid of the half-measure they did with HoW and are now fully emphasizing us to focus on armor stats and perks in the end-game.

Hopefully this gets rid of the "grind" feeling that they inflicted on everybody up until House of Wolves entirely. While I'm not sold on the Expansion, mainly because I worry that it will have a dearth of content like the rest of Destiny, I'm glad they're going in this direction. I just wish the cost of entry wasn't $40!

Nephtes

Link to article not working for me... Does anyone know if your light level is 30 now, what level will you be when The Taken King drops?

20? The current regular level cap
30? Your current light level
??? Something else entirely, like they add up your current XP earned all time for a number?

Footos22

This will make jumping back in all the more less daunting. Its been a while but my Base game 30 warlock is waiting.

I liked the light system for the time that I played Destiny, but I ended up stopping at around level 26 or so. I might go back in at some point to level up a bit more and see if anyone still plays vault of glass.

Erasus

So, NOW they look at other MMOs/Action RPGs and go "huh maybe xp all the way is good"

I sort of get where they where going with the light system, and its cool in how it makes you want better gear in a way.

Toski

Light levels were stupid from the start since the "defense" stat didn't do anything. It seems they finally figured out getting players to max level and then designing around that is better than their old system.

Hmm, I needed one more Etheric light to get Titan to 34. It's going to be my only character I'll be leveling in Destiny this time around. I used to have each class leveled but it's too much time and work for me so I'm sticking with one character.

Though the 34 gear should last you a few levels before you have to start wearing the higher level green and blue gear I'd imagine. Usually with online game with gear a lot of your raid drops last you about a few levels in before the plain stuff start to marginally out do them.

scott!

Neo Member
That sounds like it'll make getting through the expansion content a bit less frustrating for me. I stopped playing the base game after deciding that grinding out for random items to continue leveling to experience remaining content just wasn't worth it.

Top Bottom