• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny receives a new Leveling System with The Taken King release. Step aside RNG.

tebunker

Banned
So now they've piqued my curiosity and with a couple more things they may have my Attention.

I put in 100s of hours but POE and latest expansion kind of sucked once the new sheen wore off which was fast.
I don't want to keep working on the same gear and same items as everyone else. I want to be able to effectively use whatever I want and not have to sweat it as much.

Now I just need to see more attention to narrative, like actually putting one in, and some more interesting things to do. Hell at this point I would be fine with a procedurally generated zone just to mix it up some more.

I am almost ready to come back after swearing off Destiny 2 months ago.

Also this announcement gives players no reason to play POE or upgrade stuff in the near term. Why waste that time when the whole system is changing.

I started playing House of Wolves for the first time a few days ago after an eight months break from Destiny.

The Etheric Light system seemed like a major pain in the ass, so I guess I won't bother getting to level 34 now and just wait for September.

Both expansions were fucking terrible as far as I'm concerned but TTK seems to be taking majorsteps in the right direction.

bebop242

I can't help but think this might be a mistake in the long run. It will appease people who left the game (and are likely to leave again for other reasons) and can also turn the current dedicated player base off the game.

One thing is clear though, they really didn't have the right plan originally.

Afrocious

I can't help but think this might be a mistake in the long run. It will appease people who left the game (and are likely to leave again for other reasons) and can also turn the current dedicated player base off the game.

One thing is clear though, they really didn't have the right plan originally.

Interesting. What makes you think this is a mistake in the long run?

Noob question, do I need the previous expansions to play the Taken King? If previous gear is obsolete I don't see any reason to buy them

I quit right after Dark Below was released and have been bashing the living hell out of Bungie and this game ever since.

I personally never expected Bungie to change things so core to the way they designed the game. Light Level and their loot system were both so moronic it wasn't even funny, and the two in concert together was disgusting, but Bungie's stubbornness and general slowness with making changes to the game convinced me they'd never change it.

They finally changed Gjallarhorn and Ice Breaker, the two weapons that broke the game for 6 months, which I figured they'd do but it took them way too long to do.

Adding in these changes to leveling and the loot system is perfect and all I'm wondering now is why it took them so fucking long.

One thing for sure is, Bungie seems to continually move ahead and keeps changing what they put out to begin with. What will the next change be?

LifEndz

Noob question, do I need the previous expansions to play the Taken King? If previous gear is obsolete I don't see any reason to buy them

Pretty sure you do, but luckily, there's an all-in-one collectors edition containing the base game and the other two expansions for only 59.99 USD!

megalowho

I like this change quite a bit, the convoluted leveling was one of the reasons I stagnated and stopped playing in my early 20's of the base game.

No interest in the released expansions and don't see myself starting up again when The Taken King drops, the pricing model they went with isn't really for people in my situation, but hopefully all these tweaks and additions feed into whatever Destiny 2 ends up becoming.

kiri

Just wondering about all of this.... I bought Destiny and the first DLC but not the second.

Should I pick up the second now and then Taken King upon release or wait...?

Well, I am still not going to buy TTK, but maybe I will play some of the season pass stuff I already own but never touched. The numerous systems designed to not only exploit my time but artificially hinder progress was a major complaint I had with Destiny. This is a good first step and should have been in place day 1. I will be curious to see if they can pull off a Reaper of Souls like turnaround and rid their game of the shitty concepts that exploit their user base. D3 seemed like it was dead forever, but RoS brought it back from the brink. Not sure if TTK will do that, but here's hoping they have the balls to admit how shitty several of their mechanics were and fix them in time for the Destiny 2.

SeanR1221

Just wondering about all of this.... I bought Destiny and the first DLC but not the second.

Should I pick up the second now and then Taken King upon release or wait...?

Unless you're itching to play this month, sell destiny and pick up the 60.00 version that includes everything.

Great change, but not really addressing the real problems with the game.

Players: "Hey Bungie, give us a way to group up in game! Give us better communication systems so we can actually socialize with our fellow players! Give us proper clan support!"

Bungie: "Look at this new way to level and get drops!"

Players: "Hurrah!!!!"

If someone listed out the top 20 things wrong with Destiny, I'm not sure these fixes would address any of those issues. I'm all for improving the game. I just want them to REALLY improve the core mechanics of the game. I guess I'll take what I can get and like it.

You don't think the RNG system has been in the top 20 list of Destiny complaints since launch? I'd reckon it's been second only to the 'no matchmaking in raids' whining. I do agree that the social aspects you mention badly need to be addressed, though.

Cetra

Also this announcement gives players no reason to play POE or upgrade stuff in the near term. Why waste that time when the whole system is changing.

That thought cross my mind for about two seconds, then I remembered I'm still having loads of fun with the game. The abysmal storytelling being the only real problem I have with the game at this point.

That said, all of the changes coming in the Taken King sound awesome and will only serve to make the game better, at least on paper. I'm stoked as hell for the expansion.

The light leveling system was good at first but I agree something had to be done, after the mess up of NPC's selling better light gear then the hard to obtain drops in the vault of glass raid and then going over two different leveling methods for gear growth, why not scrap it all and use a regular level system?

lol.

Takes them a year to realize that the leveling system should be streamlined like the one million RPG games have done. Better social system in 2017 I think.

Afrocious

Thinking about it, enemies in endgame areas did more damage and took less damage based on your light level. It was too stark. The difference between doing Vault of Glass as a 29 and a 30 was huge and I don't think it should've been that way.

I don't mind having tiers of gear and getting better stats, but that there was a hard, concrete calculation making things artificially more difficult by being a level below what's recommended.

Hopefully this update changes this. An endgame centered around gear's stats and ONLY gear's stats is ideal to me. If I need to be level 40 to do something, then don't even give me permission to enter until then.

Also, somewhat related, I hope the raids are better. Glass was a good prelim. I haven't played Crota, though.

ElRenoRaven

Takes them a year to realize that the leveling system should be streamlined like the one million RPG games have done. Better social system in 2017 I think.

Everyone has to make mistakes and learn on their own. Bungie had to learn this lesson. I'm just glad they did.

FinKL

The reason for this has got to be because the weekly loot lock out with x3 characters and confusion on leveling up in vanilla Destiny. By the end of the first day, we had people finish the last piece of content (Skolas) by using 3 characters to level up 1 main. This way, it increases the amount of time we'll have to put into it. This makes a lot more sense, but seems even more grind intensive.

Hope you guys got lots of Red Bull codes :p

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
You don't think the RNG system has been in the top 20 list of Destiny complaints since launch? I'd reckon it's been second only to the 'no matchmaking in raids' whining. I do agree that the social aspects you mention badly need to be addressed, though.

What are the RNG problems with the game as it stands today? It's far better now than it was at release when there was simply no way for most people to do some content if you didn't get a particular drop. I'm a bit wary of the "smart loot". In theory, that would be great. But at the same time, if everyone gets all of the gear they want within 2 weeks, then that's pretty bad for the game. If there's no carrot for people to chase, then people will just move on.

Cudder

I stopped playing Destiny around level 26 I believe. Does this mean I can pick the game up, do raids and missions and level up without worrying about equipment to be a certain level? I can advance levels just by playing the game?

I actually like the Light system, I liked how gear determines your level, so you never get gear related discussions during raids, unless it's about weapons.

Everyone has to make mistakes and learn on their own. Bungie had to learn this lesson. I'm just glad they did.

At this point, not sure who made the mistake between Bungie or myself, but can't get my money nor time back I invested in. I should have waited a year when playing and leveling would be less painful. Not going to be a lab rat this go around lol.

so are they going to concede and add matchmaking for raids already for fucks sake? It seems to be the only thing they haven't budged on and the game desperately needs it.

Zocano

I never really had an issue with the light level. It's an incredibly transparent version of the "gear check" for standard MMOs.

Also, somewhat related, I hope the raids are better. Glass was a good prelim. I haven't played Crota, though.

I thought it was vastly inferior to VoG.

One of the reasons I stopped playing Destiny after the Dark Below came out.

I hope they find a way to make the raids useful again to high-level players. Gear and activities becoming obsolete after each expansion came out was so shitty.

NastyBook

Goodbye, Light Levels. You won't be missed. Being 29 during the VoG era were dark times.
*can't wait to get home and upload the images of his all 34 Guardians on the community board*
i just cant believe that nightfalls and raids don't have matchmaking.. :/
They need to turn the Tower/Ship into LFG hubs if they won't setup matchmaking. You got a freemium game in Warframe beating the breaks off you in that regard, Bungie.

I've been away from Destiny since 3 weeks after it launched, and I have no intention of returning. BUT, hearing about all of the improvements they have made to the game's structure makes me look forward to "Destiny 2." It should turn out to be an incredible experience if they take all of the feedback for the first and run with it!

What are the RNG problems with the game as it stands today?

Do you even Destiny community thread, bro? ;)

Kidding aside, though- the problems are many. Some improvements were made to the engram/cryptarch system, but raid drops are still a horrible joke. Same with exotics.

There are still way too many people putting entirely too much grind time in trying to get a lucky roll on a loot drop so they can have that one precious thing they've been hoping for since...you know...whenever. Just saw someone earlier in this thread hoping that the changes mean they can finally get a Ballerhorn. He/she's not alone.

Top Bottom