• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Reveal Thread

Coolwhip

Banned
I have a good connection, but it cuts off on occasion. I don't want to be playing a mission and then telling me "Sorry, your connection has ended. Ending session now."

Fuck.that.

Aha, that sucks. But no way to fix it? You can't play games like Wow then either. And going forward many more.

L1NETT

Online required?

Ewwwwww

But hey, I'm still on board, just. Bring me the goods Bungie, but not off to the best start. That menu screen does look tasty though, loving the possibilities of this game's direction.

I'm really worried as to how these games will sell on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3... Console gamers aren't really kind to MMO like games... and Always Online DRM? Aren't only like half the Xbox userbase connected to Xbox Live?

I really hope the game sells the 5 million the contract states. Good luck Bungie. I'm ready. Pre-ordering now.

DJ88

Wow, all you guys fucking care about is graphics and if it's next gen or not. Who gives a shit? Last time I checked we had some amazing games this gen, many with graphics way worse than this. First of all, it's still in alpha, everything is WIP. Second, why does everyone keep putting so much importance on graphics from a technical stand point? The actual art looks damn incredible, puts other games to shame, and we don't even know what the gameplay will be like yet. Lets wait and hear about how it actually plays before you decide to shit all over it?

First few pages of impressions.

"Aww not next gen? It's shit."
"Eww graphics look like 2005, garbage game. What a dissapointment."

Damn no wonder the industry hates NeoGAF.

I can not wait to hear more about this game.

Zeal

Banned
Did the guy on the IGN stream just say there's no way these visuals are running on current gen consoles?

Someone please tweet the man asking him to stop smoking crack.

They hate Gaf because we make them work for their money.

MrDaravon

I think the real problem was the amount they hyped up the reveal in relation to how much footage they were willing to show at this time.

Definitely. I don't think anyone is actually writing off the final game based on the 30 seconds of actual footage we got today (and if they are feel free to mock them). However given that:

-This seems incredibly ambitious
-This is completely unlike what Bungie has worked on for the last decade (Halo)
-Graphically didn't look amazing (regardless of how fair that is at this point)

It's completely legitimate to be underwhelmed with this reveal; what we actually saw was not amazing graphically. Most of the people who seem to be blown away are blown away based on the concept and ideas. Dudes in a video talking like it's basically Halo + Borderlands sounds fucking amazing, but no one here actually saw that. So judging what we actually have at face value I'm cautiously optimistic; Bungie can totally deliver on this, but let's actually see some of this stuff first.

Also listening to Jeff's video the whole thing sounds weird; he's saying that they're playing it all the time and are playtesting it all the time, but they didn't show that at all, even to journalists. This whole reveal just seems to early to me.

Did the guy on the IGN stream just say there's no way these visuals are running on current gen consoles?

Someone please tweet the man asking him to stop smoking crack.

Can't speak to the IGN stream, but Jeff said the same thing on this video, but he was obviously referring to what he saw at the studio and not the vidoc.

I do agree with you here.

This is not gritty enough and I dont like the look of it. To haloish.

I disagree, absolutely fed up of games relying on varying shades of brown to elicit a sense of ruin or society falling. It's not very natural and just feels like a lazy way of saying "look everything went to shit".

Chili

I think it looks great. Did people actually think it was going to look like the concept art or something? Technically WoW looks terrible, but artistically there are still parts that will make your jaw drop which is the vibe this video was giving me. I wonder if it will have cross-generation playability. The community might be a little dead otherwise, but then I don't want the old-gen consoles holding back any features or development for the next-gen to preserve cross-gen compatibility.

neoism

So, we went from massive anticipation to "yo those pre-alpha shots of the current gen version look bad"? Totally ignoring all of the other details of the game? The scope? The ambition?

zvD3g.gif

you think by now gaf would now how to keep their hype in check... but
jaded gamers are jaded...

everything sucks :p
Not too much hyperbole in that sentence.
no hyperbole i think its a terrible looking game with waaay overdone lighting... with terrible skyboxes...

Instro

Too Halo-ish for my taste :/ I can live with laser and plasma guns (as much as I hate them), but it's just way too colorful, as a game which takes place on totally ruined Earth with only one human city left you'd imagine something more like Killzone.

Why would you want to explore an ugly world? That would defeat the purpose of the game. If anything its not colorful enough, the filters look pretty bad.

RoKKeR

Wow, all you guys fucking care about is graphics and if it's next gen or not. Who gives a shit? Last time I checked we had some amazing games this gen, many with graphics way worse than this. First of all, it's still in alpha, everything is WIP. Second, why does everyone keep putting so much importance on graphics from a technical stand point? The actual art looks damn incredible, puts other games to shame, and we don't even know what the gameplay will be like yet. Lets wait and hear about how it actually plays before you decide to shit all over it?

citizen_cane.gif

MrBig

Too Halo-ish for my taste :/ I can live with laser and plasma guns (as much as I hate them), but it's just way too colorful, as a game which takes place on totally ruined Earth with only one human city left you'd imagine something more like Killzone.

the world does not get desaturated when no one's there for a bit...

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Geff thinks Bungie will be at the Sony event.

Timing is just too perfect. Get it out there before the event so the game to get people excited before PS4 talk takes over everything, but also get the rub from the all the eyes on the PS4 and the hype that comes from it by showing a more completely trailer there.

Happens at E3 all the time.

Hang on, you're complaining because the game is too colorful? Now I have officially seen everything.

A totally ruined space still eventually recovers and becomes vibrant:

I give you the Chernobyl site now:

Chernobyl-Today-A-Creepy-Story-told-in-Pictures-buildings1.jpg

Aha, that sucks. But no way to fix it? You can't play games like Wow then either.

There's nothing wrong with it. It get a steady 30mbps. There are just very infrequent instances where it might cut off for a few minutes or something. This is normal anywhere. So I don't want to risk that with this always online bullshit.

Ridiculous :(

Rewards, achievements, and loot etc are all well and good, but I'm really more interested in consequences. I think this game could be much more immersive/fun/exciting if there is a real punishment to dying or even your ship being heavily damaged or destoryed for example. Not only would it make the gameplay much more riveting but would better facilitate the social aspects.

Has there been any mention of "consequences"?

rdrr gnr

You and Coolwhip should hang out.

Posting this again, I'm sure people can do some funny shit with it

The game looks janky as hell, but I can't deny that it also looks awesome. Hyped!

(The one area looks like the Halo 3 announcement with the downed space elevator pieces.. graphically it sadly kinda reminds me of Reach in a few ways though)

Amir0x

Banned

My fucking Christ. When are people going to get over the fact that people give a shit what they'll be staring at for 40 hours? No matter how hard you try, you will never be able to diminish how important visuals are for many, if not most, people. They are our first connection and impression of a game, even prior to gameplay, and they remain with you until the end.

You can whine about it, if you don't like it you can say why you disagree the graphics are bad, but to try to dismiss their importance just seems like an enterprise for which you will always lose and also get nothing in return.

Presco

Very underwhelming reveal. And with Bungie's recent coop history, I'm not holding out very high expectations for the networking performance in this game. Somehow the input lag in coop got worse in Halo as the series progressed. Opposite was true for competitive multiplayer though so I guess there's hope. I can't understand why they wouldn't announce a PC version unless they're going to be showing PC footage with the new consoles reveals.

Soi-Fong

Disappointing as hell can't believe people hyped this up to besting the playstation meeting this Wednesday. Hardly a reveal and the footage looked underwhelming even for current gen. Planetside 2 looks 10x better and has way bigger environments and more players.

Try again Bungie, and maybe show more than 5 sec of underwhelming poor visual gameplay.

Curufinwe

Don't be upset just because other people aren't as easily impressed and devoted to Bungie as you are.

I have a good connection, but it cuts off on occasion. I don't want to be playing a mission and then telling me "Sorry, your connection has ended. Ending session now."

Fuck.that.

That's not Bungie's fault. Many gamers want online focused FPS' (beyond the deathmatches).

My internet cuts off on very rare occasions, but I don't think a potentially rare and uncontrollable occurrence should take anything away from Bungie's unique vision.

nickp

Neo Member

Agreed. I tried to say as much, but I think my post has already been buried with how quickly this thread is moving.

charsace

People think that the footage shown could be done on the PS3 or 360? From the vid running on ign right now the levels look big, there's object motion blur, GI, cloth physics, etc. This is probably the enhanced version that will be running on the next gen systems. Reminds me of the cross gen titles that we got at the 360 launch.

DJ88
Banned
(Today, 06:41 PM)

Welp. People need to calm down in this thread.

Burt

The game still looks great, but that reveal was underwhelming. What'd we get? A name for the sphere, some music, a little bit of concept art with animation that we hadn't seen before, a vague 10 year plan, some social/connective plan with bungie.net, and a few other tidbits. Nothing of substance or that far beyond what we already knew. What they put out was more worthy of a website update than a press event.

I don't want to hate on Bungie when the game looks so good, but they (along pretty much every other company out there) need to learn how to adapt to leaks/internet culture. Nothing kills the momentum of a huge reveal more than having the "huge reveal" be stuff that everyone already knows. As soon as leaks started coming out, the folks at Bungie should've reevaluated their presentation and said, "Is this going to blow anyone's mind?" If the answer is no, the only course of action is to beef it up. Otherwise, you're just going to end up looking like you're halfheartedly going through the motions and disappointing the people who want to love your game.

Top Bottom