• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Reveal Thread

monome

I'm very happy with that SP/MP are one.

Quite fed up with 6 hrs SP campaign and MP where only 1% of the population has the map packs. I love SP, and MP is fun, Bungie's decision strikes a chord with me.

Got the game pre-ordered on 360, crossing fingers for a 2013 release.
Hopefully if the 720 version is out a few months after, I'll be able to transfer all of my stuff from the 360, or, dare I say, from 360 to PS4?

My biggest gripe with this reveal was that it was more focused on the social aspects and Bungie as a studio. It’s feels like more of sales pitch on what will contribute to Destiny being great (I’m convinced it will be great though, Bungie is all kinds of awesome). While all the info coming out is nice, it is usually side information you see at a lot of reveals. We saw little of the actual game and I still don’t fully know what it is. Still hyped, but that was not a real reveal.

I don't get you.

We now know :

FPS
Persistent MMOish
Story is not linear
Focus on replayability through looting and Co-Op/vs
Environmental hazards
yada
yada
yada

It's february, so expect a fuck ton of gameplay at E3.
and they were clear on the PS720 situation, so expect them to focus their marketing on the PS720 graphics if those versions are supposed to ship alongside the PS360's

All in all it was nice. And I'm happy they are not launching the game with too heavy focus on story. Halo taught me story should not be the main reason you play a game.
From the start they present a mystery (Traveler, humankind wiped out) that most assuredly won't be tackled in Destiny 1, or at least not upfront. That's ok. I want to go to space, fuck aliens. I don't mind Bungie is not telling me why humans exist and the reason behing Life.

glaurung

If they make it subscription-based and then also nickle and dime the players to hell with microtransactions, this game/series can go fuck itself.

GrizzNKev

Banned
If they make it subscription-based and then also nickle and dime the players to hell with microtransactions, this game/series can go fuck itself.

Or you could read a bit about the game and see that there's no subscription, and it can promptly unfuck itself.

HooYaH

I shall believe it when I play it.

Destiny Elite. Discounts on Expansions and Cosmetic Micro-transactions. You know this is the way to pull you into a sub and people here who will deny it are lying to themselves to believe it since this is Activision.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I know the unveil of the game was complete shit. But that is due to the lack of any concrete details and actual gameplay. So I don't really get how you can conclude that it looks dull...

I've turned around on stuff way closer to release, so this game still has the potential to completely be awesome in my eyes or whatever.

But... the up-their-own-ass nature of Bungie and their games (again, just my opinion), all the REALLY hard attempts to make you excited about something with no proof of concept, the awful narration over out-of-context sci-fi concept paintings...

I'm not going to just call this shit or something, but this reveal underwhelmed me in a way that I'm not going to bother going out of my way to try and feign interest in it.

GrizzNKev

Banned
And the PS3? There's no paid online stupidity on that machine.

I'm imagining you looking exactly like your avatar right now.

But let's take into consideration all that we know so far:

1. No sub fee
2. Lots of DLC and fast paced release schedule
3. Published by Activision

It's entirely reasonable to think that they are going to find extensive ways to monetize the game beyond the $60 box. How they're going to do that is yet to be determined.

HooYaH

Seriously, read the articles. Any of them. I think every single one emphasizes "no, it doesn't have a subscription fee."

Read my reply to his post. There won't be a subscription fee, but there will be a subscription to get its benefits similar to F2P MMOs. XP, Rep, Commendation boosts are examples. Someone has to pay for the servers hosting thousands of players in hubs and I doubt Activision will pay for it.

glaurung

you're an angry one aren't you?
Some days are worse than others, yes.

Don't get me wrong, I welcome a competent scifi shooter with a well though out world - I welcome it with open arms. The stuff they've plagiarized from Hamilton and Simmons all sounds fantastic and it is as close as we're ever going to get to those world being playable in a video game form.

Somehow Bungie's stuff has a habit of working out like Top Gear's - ambitious, yet rubbish.

P. S. I always look like my avatar. Only fatter.

nashb81

Neo Member
Pretty sure they're said they're not going to do either, so save your anger.

They aren't going to levy a subscription fee, but I don't think they said they won't do Micro transactions. Sessler too was of the opinion that this game may have Micro Transactions as a one time cost of $60 may not cut it.

Forkball

Watched the video. Reggie meme was an ice cold shot.

I still don't really get this game. Is it Halo with Dark Souls online aspects? An action MMO? An even more boring Borderlands?

This actually looks interesting. Though they could have steered farther from Halo in my opinion. But what can you expect when this is Activisons big investment for years to come?

Halo is dead to me after 4. God that was pain to get through. Such an uninspired boring game, oh godwhy?

I'm anticipating this project, but they still have a lot to show before they hook me in. I'm not into MMO's or MMO-types. Competitive multiplayer is cool every now and again but not something I would buy a game for. I'll wait and see exactly how this aspect plays out.

The lore honestly sounds like typical sci-fi to me. This idea that humans are special in some way or that earth is hiding some sort of secret is already sounding Halo'ish. I dunno, I just feel like I've been overloaded with these same kind of tropes over the last decade and I'm getting a little tired of em.

Gameplay wise I'm confident though. I personally have always felt like the Halo mechanics were better than most shooters by a large margin. Gears 1 is the only game that comes close for me. If these new enemy types are anything like the Elites we are in for a treat I think. The fact that some were saying that it plays similar to Halo is a good thing to me.

Even after sleeping over it I am still not over how disappointing this whole ordeal was.

Yeah.

I am hoping that something like a actual trailer and gameplay was pulled at the last minute in favour of a PS meeting reveal because yesterdays reveal just stank of a studio ego stroking.

Ideally they should have done the first reveal at the VGA's or something and we got all the info we have now and this event were they flew games press in should have been the gameplay reveal.

I just dont know why you fly people from all over the US (and the world?) to basically just look at concept art and eat launch at your office.

EGM1966

Didn't feel like a reveal - more a re-run of the original pitch to Activision now released to journos/gamers.

It all sounds interesting enough but there simply wasn't enough there for me to feel this was a proper reveal - the whole thing still feels like a teaser at the moment.

I don't see myself touching this on current gen - and given my preferred choice for a persistent always online world (PC) I guess I'll have to wait and see if/when I plump for the next Playstation or Xbox.

Nice artwork although the whole thing feels a little derivative of various games, from recent Final Fantasy to stuff like Mass Effect and Halo itself.

Still, in the end all the art/setting is just a backdrop for interstellar online Cowboys & Indians so I'll be waiting to hear how it actually plays before getting too excited.

Anyone else sorta feel this is the second coming of Bioshock Infinite? Feels like 1 year from now everyone here will arguing about how ambitious of a game Destiny is supposed to be when nobody could make out clearly what that is being promised.

IHaveIce

Banned
I like what I'm reading about it, but Activision published makes my interest drop like a rock.

Huuh? Can you explain that? How does that change anything?

And back to the subscription thing, I also think while there is no subscription like WoW there will be something like CoD Elite or the app for your phone which we saw in the ViDoc will cost extra.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
It's quite funny that this game might take up three generations of consoles. This, Next, and Next Next Gen. It's also weird that we may not play this game in 6-7 years on a console but on a tablet of some sort.

Sounds about as appealing as playing it on a loaf of bread.

Detox

Yeah it'll be shit like Reach maps, their experiments in sharing multi and campaign spaces is probably going to be reflected in Destiny.

lol damn seems like a lot of people are carrying grudges against bungie, I liked it what I got from it is it will be like phantasy star online, you do coop missions with a team, or you do PvP missions and it all leads back to your hub..I guess it's like Firefall is right now at it's current state.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah it'll be shit like Reach maps, their experiments in sharing multi and campaign spaces is probably going to be reflected in Destiny.

You do know that Reach MP maps were designed first and then inserted to campaign spaces?
The map design being bad has nothing to with the campaign map design really. Art... well, that's another thing.

EDIT the only exception, not counting DLC, was Boneyard, which was ripped from campaign directly due to some map being cut and Bungie needing additional map for Invasion. IIRC.

The biggest gripe of mine right now is the lack of an actual focused main character (weak example: like Master Chief for instance) or cast of characters. I know they're saying that Destiny will have unique stories that are incapsulated like novels, but I just feel you can't get a focused story when it's "the player telling the stories" instead of storyline being given to us.

Looking forward to seeing more...

Xater

lol damn seems like a lot of people are carrying grudges against bungie, I liked it what I got from it is it will be like phantasy star online, you do coop missions with a team, or you do PvP missions and it all leads back to your hub..I guess it's like Firefall is right now at it's current state.

Grudges? It was just a poor showing all around. Showing is actually too generous of a word, because we didn't really get to see anything. They can talk all day, it is meaningless if I don't really see the game.

The biggest gripe of mine right now is the lack of an actual focused main character (weak example: like Master Chief for instance) or cast of characters. I know they're saying that Destiny will have unique stories that are incapsulated like novels, but I just feel you can't get a focused story when it's "the player telling the stories" instead of storyline being given to us.

Looking forward to seeing more...

Why are you able to fight aliens on Mars and for what reason are you fighting them? Clearly there can be an over-arching story that drives the actions of players. The problem with a focused character is that the player is suffering. If it is an MMO but really it's about some heroic character, doesn't that detract almost entirely from the fact that this is about Earth's last defence and us as Guardians?

Zaventem

Well they did neglect the other consoles to make halo for so long, so some people have some anger pent up in them.

Why are you able to fight aliens on Mars and for what reason are you fighting them? Clearly there can be an over-arching story that drives the actions of players. The problem with a focused character is that the player is suffering. If it is an MMO but really it's about some heroic character, doesn't that detract almost entirely from the fact that this is about Earth's last defence and us as Guardians?

I completely understand the reason for them going this route, as it was necessary for the kind of game they wanted to build, I guess. I'm just...saddened that's what it is :-/

I completely understand the reason for them going this route, as it was necessary for the kind of game they wanted to build, I guess. I'm just...saddened that's what it is :-/

Yeah, I can get that. I would much rather that they tell the story they want to tell rather than tell a story most people might want to be told. I don't want the experience diluted so that it can appeal to a wider audience or cater to as many demographics as possible. I just want them to tell their story in a fashion that enhances said story.

i'm watching a guy playing through dark souls on youtube. i would love it if destiny has as many unique encounters with scary alien monsters. every big baddy he comes across makes my heart skip a beat. and i've only played minor WoW and done some raids, but taking down some huge foes in this game with my friends/crew/guild/clan would be thrilling.

monome

why saddened? both Mass Effect and Halo have ended up with a Space Jesus.

at least Bungie has this part covered right from the start with the Traveler.

There will be cutscenes, and "special" characters that drive the story forward anyway.

Tomb Raider has you covered if you want to feel emotionally attached.

Given the small Nintendo references ( 'my body is ready' and the chain chomp toy on the devs desk) is it too big a stretch to say that this might be coming to Wii U?

Given the small Nintendo references ( 'my body is ready' and the chain chomp toy on the devs desk) is it too big a stretch to say that this might be coming to Wii U?

stretch_armstrong1.jpg

monome

the game won't offer cross-plateform (XBOX<->PS) gameplay. So for the sake of those 2000 people who might buy it on WiiU, Bungie is better off telling them to buy a cheap PS360 if they really want to play it with other people.

Top Bottom