• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Reveal Thread

I don't get you.

We now know :

FPS
Persistent MMOish
Story is not linear
Focus on replayability through looting and Co-Op/vs
Environmental hazards
yada
yada
yada
I don't get you, we've known all of this for a long time, except perhaps there being no offline mode/campaign.

Through general destiny chatter, hints and leaks, we already knew a large percentage of the firm details from yesterday.

Damn. Wasn't over-won on the ViDoc, but after reading those bulletpoints my hype has rised considerably.

No loading times
Space exploration
Drop in MP/SP
Dungeon raids

In Bungie we trust. Let's see them redefine the shooter again. My body is ready.

I don't get you, we've known all of this for a long time, except perhaps there being no offline mode/campaign.

Through general destiny chatter, hints and leaks, we already knew a large percentage of the firm details from yesterday.
Technically, we didn't know anything about the game, but rather had very strong rumors and good speculation that was merely affirmed yesterday. It's not Bungie's fault that leaks spoiled the perceived newness of a planned reveal.

What is their responsibility is the effectiveness of their reveal to people who knew nothing, which has left something to be desired. I believe in Bungie's vision and their ability to achieve it, and I liked the ViDoc, but I am absolutely biased.

monome

yeah. but it's official now. before yesterday you could say I know everything and nothing.

that said, what do you guys wanted?
a release date?
a super cinematic with a charismatic hero.

as I said, we've got the Traveler. Space Jesus who imbues humans with powers.
That's a big character reveal.

We got 3 classes.
We got several planets reveals.
We got social integration reveal.

Let Bungie work on the damn game. Let Bungie do something else than create the newest Space Jesus we all bitch about. And let Bungie work on actual next-gen games rather than show us PS360 videos.

Castcoder

Banned
I'm wondering if cross-saves will be possible. Theoretically, if Bungie forces players to make a Bungie account that holds login information on your character(s), you could pull the information from the servers that would transfer your account back and forth between PS3 and 360. Considering that there has to be a way to send characters from Destiny 1 to Destiny 2 (I'm just speculating there will be a character transfer due to the emphasis on customization), I see this as a very plausible option.

monome

I'm wondering if cross-saves will be possible. Theoretically, if Bungie forces players to make a Bungie account that holds login information on your character(s), you could pull the information from the servers that would transfer your account back and forth between PS3 and 360. Considering that there has to be a way to send characters from Destiny 1 to Destiny 2 (I'm just speculating there will be a character transfer due to the emphasis on customization), I see this as a very plausible option.

would be fun if it is so seamless that you can play the 720 version in the living room and switch to the PS3 version in the bedroom, no questions asked.

So is there any meat in this article? I would have posted a thread about it myself but im still a little Junior :/ lol

http://www.eggplante.com/2013/02/17...x-720-vita-wii-u-says-bungie-web-source-code/

if Bungie agrees to have other devs do ports. otherwise no way.

Yeah I'm gonna go with that. Makes sense from Bungie's perspective, and Activision themselves have been supporting more platform agnostic stuff like this with Skylanders.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the game won't offer cross-plateform (XBOX<->PS) gameplay. So for the sake of those 2000 people who might buy it on WiiU, Bungie is better off telling them to buy a cheap PS360 if they really want to play it with other people.

this reminds me - is it realistic to hope for cross-gen play? ie, if i load it up on durango, could i hope into some games with people on the 360 version?

params7

Banned
this reminds me - is it realistic to hope for cross-gen play? ie, if i load it up on durango, could i hope into some games with people on the 360 version?

I hope it is. Lack of cross-plat online play is one of the biggest, if not the biggest downfalls of an industry dictated by multiple competing closed platforms.

It really depends on what the difference between Destiny on current gen and Destiny on next-gen is. I'm going to assume no, but that Bungie will have some sort of communication back and forth on their end, perhaps saved characters, stats, fileshares, etc.

I'm pretty sure Bungie has said that won't be a thing. But your character will probably be persistent, but I highly doubt you would be able to play with people across hardware generations.

the game won't offer cross-plateform (XBOX<->PS) gameplay. So for the sake of those 2000 people who might buy it on WiiU, Bungie is better off telling them to buy a cheap PS360 if they really want to play it with other people.

Based on the current playerbase it's unlikely then. I hope games like Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest do well here, showing that there is a market for MMOs on Wii U. With the controller's on screen keyboard and miiverse community the console seems made for these type of games..

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'm pretty sure Bungie has said that won't be a thing. But your character will probably be persistent, but I highly doubt you would be able to play with people across hardware generations.

thats what i was thinking. even if the game itself is nearly identical, i'd imagine, as an example, there would be more physics based objects in the next-gen game that may be faked or static with current-gen which could make syncing the game and having the experiences shared difficult

Castcoder

Banned

If I'm not mistaken, Bungie dodged the question about this from IGN. They cannot comment on future consoles. Making the current consoles compatible with their next-gen counterparts seems likely IF a next-gen version of Destiny 1 is being made.

It would be equal to the cross-platform play with PS3 and PC users for Portal 2.

monome

Based on the current playerbase it's unlikely then. I hope games like Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest do well here, showing that there is a market for MMOs on Wii U. With the controller's on screen keyboard and miiverse community the console seems made for these type of games..

I would love it.
But I think you'll be better off with 720 + controller + phone + tablet... even though it seems overkill.

As far as cross-gen is possbile, I don't expect anything more from PS720 than HD textures, smoother AA and locked framerate. no rewritten animations etc...

Cross play between VITA and PS3 is proof a 360-720 compatibility is somewhat possible.

davious88

Banned
It's entirely reasonable to think that they are going to find extensive ways to monetize the game beyond the $60 box. How they're going to do that is yet to be determined.

I imagine that the DLC will take the approach of COD in which MS will pay out for timed-exclusivity.

Spawnling

5ovjmO4.png

TSpZBvG.jpg

I want this as a poster.

Woorloog

Banned
I'd wager that's when the game takes place.

Unlikely. Bungie usually sets their games further in the future, i doubt even they'd make humankind to have settled all of our solar system by '77, not to mention it being a long time since the Traveller saved humankind from something, and that was well into humankind's golden age.

I don't understand. Why would they take reservations in February for a game that won't release the same year? That's ridiculous.

I mean the Best Buy preorder card says it expires on 12/31/2013.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't understand. Why would they take reservations in February for a game that won't release the same year? That's ridiculous.

Well, games have been revealed well over a year in advance before, though rarely pre-orders begin then officially.
I reckon they're just waiting for the next-gen console announcements proper.

Yes, but they printed cards and shipped them to retail and put expiration dates for this year! Are they trying to scam preorderers out of $5 a head?

Top Bottom