• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Reveal Thread

Not sure if anyone made these yet, but here's all of Destiny's (read: Early) Gameplay Footage, in Gif Format.

igP0oC2ODoOyK.gif

itepFdJsQxj0u.gif

iz2q6B3d3FVhK.gif

can you do a gif of the changing sky sequence?

A little late on checking out the ViDoc but I'm all aboard the hype train. Bungie really know how to sell their ideas. If executed a persistent MMO type world for an FPS could be awesome.

Slime

Banned
I'm hoping there's a bunch of lore to sift through. Crossing my fingers for a bunch of Marathon-style terminals or something.

I just love how Bungie build worlds.

Don't know if it's needed but the vidoc is now available at Gamersyde, running at 60fps.

Downloaded! Thanks!

welp, looks like I'm not full of shit afterall

:lol

Its just amazing that it got posted online and somehow you were the only goddamn person to notice it.

Seriously, the odds were so freaking low, haha.

Not sure if anyone made these yet, but here's all of Destiny's (read: Early) Gameplay Footage, in Gif Format.

igP0oC2ODoOyK.gif

itepFdJsQxj0u.gif

iz2q6B3d3FVhK.gif

To be fair, that really doesn't look like Halo. The engine reminds me a ton of Reach, for better and worse. But that looks different.. gives me a different feel, can't quite put my finger on it.

People that don't like the "always online" style have legitimate concerns, and I'm not taking shots at them.

But I really don't think you are getting the point of this game; it's not meant to be experienced alone in any way, shape, or form. It's 100% meant to be played with others, everywhere you go (or it sure sounds that way) so the lack of a singleplayer option is par for the course.

Of course, we still know little or next to nothing. But I'm fairly certain that this is what Bungie is trying to achieve; a game world that is always bringing people together. You are part of a group of warriors that always work together, no matter what. I for one am super pumped for this type of game; I'm sick of lobbies and waiting. I want a seamless co-op experience!

Take my money Bungie!

Downloaded! Thanks!

:lol

Its just amazing that it got posted online and somehow you were the only goddamn person to notice it.

Seriously, the odds were so freaking low, haha.

To be fair, that really doesn't look like Halo. The engine reminds me a ton of Reach, for better and worse. But that looks different.. gives me a different feel, can't quite put my finger on it.

the way the characters are bouncing about it looks like a very pretty timesplitters.

Gorillaz

Rewatching this vidoc and reveal, all I can think of is how much of it was just them stroking their ego with the whole melodramatic "being epic is in our blood" routine. Something about it bugs me a lot.

Momentary

Banned
I didn't turn out to be as excited for this as I thought I was going to be. I'll guess I'll wait for next gen version footage of this, Blizzard's Titan, and to see what kind of game Cyberpunk 2077 turns out to be (MMOFPS, single player FPS RPG, or single player third person RPG) to see what I'd be willing to commit my time to.

The games visuals look like a really mixed bag, the lighting is really gorgeous, and the environments look great, but the characters look meh.

Even if this is up to date footage, it looks like they just pulled out in progress assets from play tests instead of trying to do a "Finished area" like they normally do for trailers, and demos.

I imagine it will look near the top of visuals for current gen games, and will be middle of the pack for next gen games.

Crosspost from DBO:

Inspired by a Reddit user, I decided to take a couple interesting frames from the trailer and annotate them with things I've noticed, as well as some speculation. I've tried to connect things together as best as I can. Remember, a lot of this stuff is subject to change, so take it all with a grain of salt. Apologies if it is difficult to read.

Thanks for reading!

Crosspost from DBO:

Inspired by a Reddit user, I decided to take a couple interesting frames from the trailer and annotate them with things I've noticed, as well as some speculation. I've tried to connect things together as best as I can. Remember, a lot of this stuff is subject to change, so take it all with a grain of salt. Apologies if it is difficult to read.

Thanks for reading!

I would guess that Strike is a Dungeon while Raid is.. well a Raid. Strike would be a smaller group, easier difficulty, and lower quality loot. Raid is larger group, greater difficulty, best loot.

Hopper is likely in-game terminology for a Transport. So to go to X Dungeon, you'd take X Hopper. The designation of Random Hopper would be the equivalent of having a system randomly place you in a Dungeon.

Faction Wars is the instanced PvP. Random Hopper suggesting random map/game placement.

So it breaks down to a very WoW-like system.

I would guess that Strike is a Dungeon while Raid is.. well a Raid. Strike would be a smaller group, easier difficulty, and lower quality loot. Raid is larger group, greater difficulty, best loot.

Hopper is likely in-game terminology for a Transport. So to go to X Dungeon, you'd take X Hopper. The designation of Random Hopper would be the equivalent of having a system randomly place you in a Dungeon.

Faction Wars is the instanced PvP. Random Hopper suggesting random map/game placement.

So it breaks down to a very WoW-like system.

Interesting theory! I just went with Hopper for Playlist as that's what Bungie has sort of unofficially called Playlists in Halo in the past.

More space marines. How innovative.

Lol... It's a SciFi shooter. There's going to be space marines of some nature, seems to be Titan is the "space marine" class. There's still Hunter and Warlock, which are quite different looking and probably have their own differences.

subrock

I think hopper is used in the farming terminology sense. A place to get mixed in with all the other players and dispatched randomly into a playlist, ie. A random playlist.

Merguson

Banned
I guess my major concern with Destiny is regarding the co-op netcode. (fyi, in previous leaks, it was indicated that the game isn't a "dedicated server game" at all, might have changed since then, who knows?)

If the co-op netcode turns out to be crap, will I have the option to basically avoid playing with other people? I mean, it's indicated that you can play solo, and Jason Jones calls it a valid option, but it sounds like you will be running into other people regardless.

I don't like being forced into something especially if it's not going to work well.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think hopper is used in the farming terminology sense. A place to get mixed in with all the other players and dispatched randomly into a playlist, ie. A random playlist.
"Hopper" is what Bungie use colloquially to refer to a playlist in general and it has been that way since Halo 3.

Dirtbag

I guess my major concern with Destiny is regarding the co-op netcode. (fyi, in previous leaks, it was indicated that the game isn't a "dedicated server game" at all, might have changed since then, who knows?)

If the co-op netcode turns out to be crap, will I have the option to basically avoid playing with other people? I mean, it's indicated that you can play solo, and Jason Jones calls it a valid option, but it sounds like you will be running into other people regardless.

I don't like being forced into something especially if it's not going to work well.

I just hope the matching is done behind the scenes to the point that it doesnt involve host migration screens stopping gameplay often. I really can't wrap my head around peer-to-peer for this one.

Interested to see how it switches from Server hosted hub world to peer-to-peer campaigning.

6 player parties running across other 6 player parties along a campaign level just sounds like lag city.
Or maybe it caps at 6 active players per mission/raid whatever.

Also, considering iPhone UI conventions, I was backwards I think with the bottom navigation bar. I think he's browsing the Bounties section in that picture that shows the Story, etc. And that Featured at the top is a featured (this week's?) Bounty. Not sure why I thought otherwise...

Was I the only one who thought the writings/spoken word promoting the game (in the press materials, narration in the trailer) was really kind of young adult/melodramatic?

Does anyone else think/hope the ''magic'' powers the Guardians gained from the Travel are actually some kind of technological things? Like nano machines that can produce certain effects or other kind of invisible implants. I don't know why, but I've never really liked magic in my sci-fi.

Reticles imply the opposite of aim down sights.
Not that you wont still scope, but reticles are hipfire... this pleases me

FWIW, there are plenty of games that have ADS and reticles .

IMO, we are pretty far away from discussing nitty gritty stuff like that. I know we are all used to speculating on this stuff from halo games, where they change in very small ways from one to the next. I think speculating on the possibilities of the grand nature of this shared world is far more interesting at this point :).

Spawnling

In response to that reddit post, I just made this on DBO, but in that first image, those are indeed class emblems.

If you go on bungie.net and admin a private group, you can check the themes and that specific one in the first image is labeled "hunter". These are the images so far:

Cabal
DN0NwcV.png

Fallen
sYtkWUY.png

Racer
ETs6Oeg.png

FOTC
BClms86.png

Hunter
3IDCHDv.png

Titan
T65jRmu.png

Titan Crest
0kixRBu.png

Warlock
jPWbVdh.png

This leads me to believe that there are definitely more races/classes in Destiny.

They've said it's a "new" engine, but with the nature of in-house game engines, I don't doubt some of the technology and lessons learned "along the way" from Halo will be sprinkled throughout.

I was kind of under the impression that Bungie had to hand the Reach engine over to 343 along with the Halo IP, but I could definitely be wrong on that.

In any case, if there are bits of the Halo engine in Destiny, they've most likely been hugely altered in the last few years.

I am slightly worried about co-op netcode; I would be slightly baffled if this game didn't have dedicated servers.

MrBig

I was kind of under the impression that Bungie had to hand the Reach engine over to 343 along with the Halo IP, but I could definitely be wrong on that.

In any case, if there are bits of the Halo engine in Destiny, they've most likely been hugely altered in the last few years.

I am slightly worried about co-op netcode; I would be slightly baffled if this game didn't have dedicated servers.

Bungie did hand over the post reach branch to MS, but that is all. It split and Bungie continued to iterate on it.

This will almost certainly be server based and not, at least primarily, be p2p based. What I'm anticipating is a bunch of different areas that interact with eachother. Private or local areas with small groups of people that intersect with larger common areas that are public, in which you can run into all sorts of random people of some number, probably a variable amount based on the type of area eg a primary hub like the city below the traveler or a smaller primary area like Hell Mouth in which people congregate and you may see large scale happenings at some point but otherwise people split off and do whatever progression stuff on their own or with a small group. I see it being seamless, instance based, where you can be doing one thing in one area and then you step out of that area with your group and suddenly you're in a public group area, perhaps an instance randomly chosen based on the amount of players on whatever servers are used in that area and the amount of people you are friends with or have played with before. There would be all sorts of branches as people enter and exit certain areas, not specifically a hub but just where random strangers can interact on a small scale

This is pretty cool: http://www.bungie.net/en-us/Forum/Post?id=59859538

Back to the old grind. How do we fill the hours around here? We need to find something to talk about.

Any ideas?

Anyone?

We know that you have a ton of questions about Destiny. The reveal of our game has begun an exploration of this universe that will take place right here on Bungie.net. We're planning a steady cadence of updates that will bring your perspective of this new game into focus.

Remember, the Mail Sack has always been a chance for you to chat with the brave developers at Bungie. So, if you find us dodging some of your more probing inquiries, it's because we've already dreamed up a better way to talk about those things. Later.

For now, how have your curiosities about life at Bungie evolved in the past week?

Grief.exe

Well XBLA and PSN are both, primarily, P2P networks. I would be surprised if they did dedicated servers for this, outside of the hub worlds.

PC i could see P2P co-op and dedicated for the competitive multiplayer and hub worlds

Top Bottom