• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Reveal Thread

That would be very disappointing. The BWU gives the fans something to look forward to and talk about rather than hopelessly waiting for news everyday.

Or something to endlessly complain about when there's no news at all.

Anyway, DeeJ posted this on DBO:

The Bungie Weekly Update requires a cadence I'm not sure I can commit to right now. I'm not sure if I'll be bringing that back or not. If it does make a triumphant comeback, it will happen further down the road. Have no fear, B.org. I can assure you that B.net will be a place to learn about Destiny. We might just be more creative about how we deliver those beats.
This doesn't mean that we're going silent. I just posted a #Mailsack thread, and you're all welcome inside it.

I guess my major concern with Destiny is regarding the co-op netcode. (fyi, in previous leaks, it was indicated that the game isn't a "dedicated server game" at all, might have changed since then, who knows?)

If the co-op netcode turns out to be crap, will I have the option to basically avoid playing with other people? I mean, it's indicated that you can play solo, and Jason Jones calls it a valid option, but it sounds like you will be running into other people regardless.

I don't like being forced into something especially if it's not going to work well.

Ooh man after Firefight and Spartan ops session Reach engine netcode which will probably be the base of this game is shit. Unless they use the competive side still dont understand how they can function that much different maybe the ai takes to much resources to have some prediction routines running.

I can see the game functioning similarly to what Anet did with Guild Wars 1. Hubs are the only areas that feel "massive" with everyone connected to a central server. It's still likely that even the Hubs will have "Channels" that cap the physical player limit while having Chat channels that expand across all channels.

Then the mission areas are instanced by player or group. Since they talk about being able to come across other players while in a mission it might just work like MP Matchmaking in that when you elect to start a mission it checks for missions that are already launched with space in them for you/your party and if it can't find one, starts a new one with you or one of your party as the host.

GhaleonEB

Ooh man after Firefight and Spartan ops session Reach engine netcode which will probably be the base of this game is shit. Unless they use the competive side still dont understand how they can function that much different maybe the ai takes to much resources to have some prediction routines running.

Yeah Destiny absolutely cannot use the lockstep networking model that Halo has used for co-op games (Halo 3, ODST, Reach, Halo 4). It would ruin the experience for most players right out the gates.

I know this puts up the Fyrewulf flare, kind of hoping he swoops in and goes over the viable possibilities.

Reach was designed primarily for competitive multi player. I doubt Bungie devoted many resources to the co op net code.

I would imagine with co op being the primary feature of Destiny the co op net code is one main things Bungie is devoting resources to.

FyreWulff

Yeah Destiny absolutely cannot use the lockstep networking model that Halo has used for co-op games (Halo 3, ODST, Reach, Halo 4). It would ruin the experience for most players right out the gates.

I know this puts up the Fyrewulf flare, kind of hoping he swoops in and goes over the viable possibilities.

Goddamnit :lol

I kinda went over it in the Halo OT:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47841040&postcount=18692

Although I find it interesting that we now know it's six player co-op. I am now suddenly remembering that the Reach Beta tested their lockstep networking.. except it was six players in the beta (3v3), not the final game's 4.

Could they have been testing the viability of Destiny using lockstep for six players that far back? Probably not, but it's an interesting parallel.

MrBig

Although I find it interesting that we now know it's six player co-op. I am now suddenly remembering that the Reach Beta tested their lockstep networking.. except it was six players in the beta (3v3), not the final game's 4.

Could they have been testing the viability of Destiny using lockstep for six players that far back? Probably not, but it's an interesting parallel.

Likely just loadtesting whatever optimisations they made to their lock-step systems just for reach. I doubt the squad size has much meaning unless they really do end up sticking with p2p. From the descriptions of the systems they invested in (I can't remember the exact quote or where I read it, likely the polygon article) it sounded like they were going after a large scale centralized server approach.

GhaleonEB

Me typing "lockstep" is to you as chanting "Candyman" into a mirror is for him. :lol

Thanks for the link. From the descriptions Bungie has given for the networking, they said it would be a mix of server based and peer hosting. So that raises the possibility of dedicated servers for the co-op and PvP on a P2P basis. (If I understand your post correctly. This is not my forte; I just want the networking to be gud and not suck.)

IIRC, the Reach Firefight beta on Overlook was actually called Network Test 1, and was described along the lines of "Reach net code stress test". While at the time they had not yet announced Firefight and so it could have just been a ruse, my hypothesis is the test really was of stressed conditions; testing six players in a game type designed for four, so as so gather the most data for their netcode under suboptimal conditions.

FyreWulff

Likely just loadtesting whatever optimisations they made to their lock-step systems just for reach. I doubt the squad size has much meaning unless they really do end up sticking with p2p. From the descriptions of the systems they invested in (I can't remember the exact quote or where I read it, likely the polygon article) it sounded like they were going after a large scale centralized server approach.

True dat

Me typing "lockstep" is to you as chanting "Candyman" into a mirror is for him. :lol

Thanks for the link. From the descriptions Bungie has given for the networking, they said it would be a mix of server based and peer hosting. So that raises the possibility of dedicated servers for the co-op and PvP on a P2P basis. (If I understand your post correctly. This is not my forte; I just want the networking to be gud and not suck.)

IIRC, the Reach Firefight beta on Overlook was actually called Network Test 1, and was described along the lines of "Reach net code stress test". While at the time they had not yet announced Firefight and so it could have just been a ruse, my hypothesis is the test really was of stressed conditions; testing six players in a game type designed for four, so as so gather the most data for their netcode under suboptimal conditions.

I kind of wish in the end, they would have allowed 6 man for at least LAN.

I guess they didn't have that much flexibility in their lobby UI, though, if they had to hard limit theater to 1 person even locally.

The scale on the white sphere is like completely and massively different between the shots from space and the shots from the city under it. This will bug the shit out of me if it's released like that.

The scale on the white sphere is like completely and massively different between the shots from space and the shots from the city under it. This will bug the shit out of me if it's released like that.
How is the scale off? Some have suggested The Traveler is what we actually call Enceladus, one of the moons of Saturn. I'm not doubting you, just curious to how exactly it is out of scale.

Well XBLA and PSN are both, primarily, P2P networks. I would be surprised if they did dedicated servers for this, outside of the hub worlds.

PC i could see P2P co-op and dedicated for the competitive multiplayer and hub worlds

I see it like this:

1. P2P for the in game stuff, across all game modes and platforms. They will limit the in game numbers to small amounts (very similar to Halo for connectivity reasons). I see this as already confirmed by their statements about presenting local players in limited numbers in the meet up "hub or Miiverse" style sections.

2. Servers behind the scenes to keep that persistent universe and data. Bungie already run a datacentre worth of servers internally and externally. This will just be ramped up for the new persistent universe. It's already up and running and has been for Halo for a long time.

3. Something akin to Join In Progress and Matchmaking is behind the scenes just without menus or visible loading. It's all done with smoke and mirrors now, again I see this as already confirmed in the reveal about their technology experience combining and essentially becoming transparent as if it's not even present.

4. Look at their previous experience such as Firefight, coop, network test gametypes like generator defense or the latency hiding techniques going on in Reach. Also look at their technology in the last 5-8 years of P2P with servers for matchmaking and statistics etc. They are just expanding this to include a story universe with trade exchanges and meet ups.

5. Polish what they already have experience in and send it out to the world as one package.

If you look at their ground breaking CE = console FPS, Halo 2 = online multiplayer/chat, Halo 3 = theatre/coop, ODST = firefight then you start to realise they don't really create new innovations but refine existing disparate technologies into a seamless experience. Bungie are taking this design/development mantra to a new level in terms of no loading times, no menus (somewhat), no visible matchmaking etc. It about making it fully immersive.

Some speculation predictions:
1. All cutscenes and dialogue etc done in game engine, no pre-rendered stuff at all.

2. Most if not all story will come from character in game models/customisation. This will dynamically shape at the backend server end and future Bungie DLC releases design around the dynamic story landscape. I think the most innovation will be in this portion of design/development. A more dynamic version of episodic content if you will.

3. Lockstep will not be present, traditional asynchronous networking will be used. EPIC did this with Gears of War campaign AND horde modes. Could they pull a just cause 2 hack style massive multiplayer? Maybe but I doubt they'll go insane numbers of players based on design and playability reasons alone.

4. Further innovation in letting PSN/XBL/device owners all participate in a single universe across platforms and generation versions too.

5. The genre blurring of FPS, RPG, limited MMO and possible RTS. Again this is the innovative part but it's been attempted many times so more like iteration refinement than outright something brand new.

Stark

Banned

Why? One is a clear poster shot to put the logo inbetween, and another shows it with in or just above the atmosphere which, considering it is possibly a moon, is going to look massive above us. A "moon" is much smaller compared to a planet anyway.

Seance

Banned
Ew, really don't like what i'm seeing.
Laughably bad animation (but maybe that's necessary for an MMO?), bad art, awful textures and i'm getting a muddy, brown and dilapidated looking COD-esque feel.

:(

Laughably bad animation (but maybe that's necessary for an MMO?), bad art, awful textures and i'm getting a muddy, brown and dilapidated looking COD-esque feel.

Lol what?

Did we watch the same video?

I agree that the animation didn't look stellar, but muddy and brown? The environments were all vibrant and bright.

Reach was designed primarily for competitive multi player. I doubt Bungie devoted many resources to the co op net code.

I would imagine with co op being the primary feature of Destiny the co op net code is one main things Bungie is devoting resources to.

If you're referring to co-op against AI, then I'd hope that's the case.

what bad animation, the animation looks great to me. The art looks great, the texures could use work, and the muddy/brown is because what we've seen is from venus, expect mars, the moon and earth to all be significantly different.

LProtag

I'm not even a fan of Halo, but I'm already starting to buy into the hype of this. I love the idea of persistant worlds and organic multiplayer.

Scrabble

Indeed, for early 'current gen' gameplay this looks great. If they can match the concept art in the next gen consoles, this will look stunning.

Best thing about the look of the game is how clean it looks. Image quality has gotten so bad this late in the generation it's nice to see a game that actually looks hd.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I didn't turn out to be as excited for this as I thought I was going to be. I'll guess I'll wait for next gen version footage of this, Blizzard's Titan, and to see what kind of game Cyberpunk 2077 turns out to be (MMOFPS, single player FPS RPG, or single player third person RPG) to see what I'd be willing to commit my time to.

the conversation around this game will be different toward the end of the week than it is today, so reserve judgement

szaromir

Banned
Why? One is a clear poster shot to put the logo inbetween, and another shows it with in or just above the atmosphere which, considering it is possibly a moon, is going to look massive above us. A "moon" is much smaller compared to a planet anyway.
It's not a moon since it's position is fixed above the city.

RoKKeR

Agreed. Maybe a mention at most.
I imagine we'll will gleam little tidbits from Bungie through B.net and what not, but nothing major such as new assets or a trailer will be shown off for a while.

In fact, I imagine Destiny will make a return once both big consoles have been announced. That way they can reveal the game for next gen systems and start focusing their marketing around those. Because lets face it: while the current gen versions are certainly an important component for Destiny, (established market) the next gen versions are going to set the game up for success for the next 10 years.

Karl2177

Every time it shows the twin flags and it just pans toward the Traveler, I smile. There's a lot to see in just a small scene that it really makes it seem like a greater universe.

I wonder if there will be some dingy almost Blade Runner esque "lower cities" City sections that are like Omega in Mass Effect 2. I'd love to explore areas like that.

LProtag

Certain letters in that trailer seem to be lit up, but I'm not sure if it has any meaning. I tried writing them down but it looks meaningless:

RHASO NURAT BNANM SLGWD TFHXA

I think I'm just really tired rather than this being important, but who knows.

Do we know if Destiny will be using the Reach engine or will it be a new one?

It seems like what was shown in the vidoc was built off of the reach engine. That, or they've settled into that art style.

I think Halo players will feel at home in Destiny, and that both comforts me and bugs me. The former is for the obvious reason that I [was] one, and the latter is because I feel like Bungie has gotten too used to it and/or are not taking enough risk. But we can't know anything for sure until we see some Beta gameplay. I have a good feeling that most of what was in the vidoc was prototyped off of Halo assets. Even the HUD looks like a modified Halo HUD.

Top Bottom