• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Either this is the case, or Bungie way WAY overachieved (or just got lucky) with the Halo series.

What has me confused though is that the game seems to have a fairly high level of polish, at least from a graphical, environmental, sound and music standpoint. I'm not going to say they spent the last 18 months "polishing a turd" because even from the gameplay I've watched a bunch of, it's good on a very fundamental level and honestly reminds me a very good bit like Halo. Beyond that though, it looks like they took all of the most questionable design decisions from Halo 2 (i.e. bullet-spongey Brutes/ Tartarus boss fight) and some from MMO's (grindy hit-or-mostly-miss loot quests/extra-super-spongey boss fights) and put them into this game.

Right now, I'm just left scratching my head to think, "what happened?" I'm still willing to give this series a chance (haven't bought it yet), but I've got to wait for some appreciable increase in content/game systems and/or a clear message from Bungie that "Hey guys and gals, we undestand that we under-delivered a bit compared to what we promised over the past year. We wanted to take this time to apologize for this disappointment. While the community appears to be disappointed with the product right now, we're going to work hard in the coming weeks and months to rectify that."
The marathon series was pretty great and was very highly regarded, in both story and (for the time) gameplay. It just wasn't popular thanks to the platform they were released for.

As for what went wrong here, they swung and missed wildly on their trying to marriage a MMO structure to a not MMO game. That's really it. All problems Destiny has seems to come back to that one problem of MMO but not MMO design.

Doran902

Well, based on the two latest @Vincogneato tweets, we can probably guess that the story in Destiny doesn't affect the IGN review.

It shouldn't have that much of an effect if they find the game to be fun to play.

I've got 40 hours in it now and I find the co-op and gameplay to be incredibly enjoyable but I have no clue whats going on in the story. That wouldn't stop me from giving the game at least an 8 / 10.

Speaking of playing with others, one of Destiny's selling points is that it was supposed to offer a world of ambient co-op where real players come and go, helping each other and interacting as they wish. In practice, this concept isn't delivered. The campaign zones I played through felt empty, and I couldn't interact with the rare people I did see except through an oversimplified handful of emotes. - See more at: http://www.gamecritics.com/brad-gallaway/destiny-review#sthash.7LtboK8r.dpuf

So, he doesn't understand the game?

Disclosure: I'm only lvl11, don't have much time to play.

Yesterday I had some time at 1AM to play a few missions on the Moon, so I started the mission, looked in my friends list, and invited someone I didnt really know who was similarly levelled.

He arrived in my game world as I spawned, and started voice chatting, and we set upon our mission. Everything was perfectly smooth.

We saw another player in the distance as we were near a cave, I went up to him, and invited him to our fireteam. He joined us and we continued to finish the mission.

The shooting feels incredibly fun, co-op feels smooth (though there is that awful delay when the PS4 UI comes up to send someone an invite) and dynamic. The graphics (to me, subjective, sure) are through the roof. RIght now, with limited time to play it and having not finished the campaign, it seems packed with content. I can do roaming missions, take on strikes, or do regular missions. I can also PVP..

I actually like the 'limited' storytelling. I like the little bits that play as I'm flying to a planet with Dinklage talking to me, or playing back audio clips relating to the mission I'm about to do.

The actual mission variety is lame, but since everything looks incredible and plays really well that doesn't really bother me.

I saw the Vex for the first time on Venus, and they are really fun to fight. I don't get the generic comments.. they look awesome!

Now here's the thing, after (I think) the first mission on Venus there was a short cutscene, and despite not caring about what is happening, I thought it was perfect for this type of game. Short, interestingly written, and charming. My character's voice sounds really interesting, and I liked his quick interaction with dinklebot. (No idea why he/she doesn't talk during the gameplay).

I understand the complaints, but to give this game a 4.6/10 should be grounds for a The Hague trial.

I'm holding to the belief that, somewhere about 1/2 or 2/3 of the way through Destiny's 4+ year development time, something fairly dramatic happened that caused Bungie to completely change direction of development. The final game we're seeing is actually only the product of about 18 to 24 months of work, maybe even less.

I don't know if the departure of Joe Staten October last year was indicative of this or what, but between that, the out-of-the-blue firing of one of the industry's best composers in Marty O'Donnell and this rather generic final product that seems rushed and reeks of questionable design decisions, it really gives the impression that the wheels were starting to come off over at Bungie over the last 9 months or so.

I'm definitely feeling this too. There has been games that were way more ambitious than Destiny that were made in a smaller timeframe, and with less people. I'm willing to put money on (even though we will probably never get the full story anyway) that something happened around a year ago that changed the game completely and stuck it safe with those story missions. Considering the cutscenes are so bare, the random Reef area which consists of one out of the what 4 cutscenes in the game, and the repeated mission design which can easily be implemented quickly from a gameplay development perspective. Hell I could create those missions in a bog standard mission editor in weeks.

frequency

It shouldn't have that much of an effect if they find the game to be fun to play.

I've got 40 hours in it now and I find the co-op and gameplay to be incredibly enjoyable but I have no clue whats going on in the story. That wouldn't stop me from giving the game at least an 8 / 10.

Oh I wasn't saying it should have a big effect on everyone's opinion of the game. Some people love story. Others skip cutscenes no matter how good a story is. How important a good story is differs for each person.

I was just noting it anticipation of the review because the tweets seem like a preemptive defense. I don't care about the score is. I just want to read their opinion on it regardless of whether it's positive, neutral, or negative.

The marathon series was pretty great and was very highly regarded, in both story and (for the time) gameplay. It just wasn't popular thanks to the platform they were released for.

Those flying drone enemies really remind me of Marathon 2 every time I see it. I think I'm pretending that this is secretly a new Marathon game. :(

Have any direct references been found relating to Marathon? Or does 343i own that license now?

PaNaMa

Banned
I just don't understand where all their time went. It's basically just 4 medium sized maps with a bunch of missions that reuse the same places over and over again.

^^
This. Exactly. Even the maps are not really open that world, cause you get railroaded a lot, and the game gives you TURN BACK NOW whenever you explore. And if you don't, it kills you.

The Llama

I'm holding to the belief that, somewhere about 1/2 or 2/3 of the way through Destiny's 4+ year development time, something fairly dramatic happened that caused Bungie to completely change direction of development. The final game we're seeing is actually only the product of about 18 to 24 months of work, maybe even less.

I don't know if the departure of Joe Staten October last year was indicative of this or what, but between that, the out-of-the-blue firing of one of the industry's best composers in Marty O'Donnell and this rather generic final product that seems rushed and reeks of questionable design decisions, it really gives the impression that the wheels were starting to come off over at Bungie over the last 9 months or so.

I kind of agree. Like, I don't see how the hell they spent 4+ years and this is what they came up with. This game is 2 years of development time max.

gatti-man

Posted?

http://www.gamecritics.com/brad-gallaway/destiny-review

4.5/10

And this one :

http://mmgn.com/ps4/destiny-review

6.5/10

"It sets very sound foundations for a franchise with what will be an inevitably long life, but it’s a profoundly shallow experience that tricks players early: you’re driven to slowly level up, moving from wasteland to wasteland in repetitive, mostly lifeless environments, with the promise of something greater at the end. Unfortunately, that greatness just never seems to arrive. And yet in the strangest of ways, Destiny can be a mindlessly addictive grind, which, for better or worse, is the core differentiation between it and Bungie’s other games."

4.5/10? Absolutely ridiculous. Reading that review all I can do is shake my head.

immodicus

Neo Member
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-18-destinys-story-for-people-who-dozed-off
"A Destiny story summary for people who dozed off
In case you lost (or couldn't be bothered to keep) track of what was going on."

I kind of find this headline offensive. Like its really the player's fault if they say the story is poorly delivered or nonsensical? I paid attention, read every codex card I've acquired, beaten the game and played several parts multiple times and I can say this story really does not add up in multiple areas. A lot of context or exposition feels purposefully withheld, like they were trying to make another Halo happen, which had this grandiose mysterious universe in the beginning. Thing is, that game actually had enemies with apparent goals. There was enough meat there to give Halo CE some legs.

With Destiny so much is left unsaid or wrapped up in so much vague convoluted pseudo-scientology babble that its either hard to discern what they are really saying, or it comes off as politician speech- big flowery words that mean nothing. I actually get a lot of ME3 ending vibes with this, where the plot is so bad people here actually cannot believe it; they think that there is an underlying master plan from the devs and that all will be revealed in time. Granted I am one of those people myself, and I really hope there is some kind of sinister reveal where humanity or the traveler in particular is actually a force for evil in the universe.

I suppose all we can do is wait.

Impala26

Those flying drone enemies really remind me of Marathon 2 every time I see it. I think I'm pretending that this is secretly a new Marathon game. :(

Have any direct references been found relating to Marathon? Or does 343i own that license now?

Agghhh... All this talk about Marathon is reminding me of the wild speculation that Halo 3's Legendary ending was hinting at a Halo-Marathon universe crossover.

Halo 4 was good, no doubt, but the idea of that grand crossover still resounds in my head.

^^
This. Exactly. Even the maps are not really open that world, cause you get railroaded a lot, and the game gives you TURN BACK NOW whenever you explore. And if you don't, it kills you.

The best part was my first time running Patrol on the Moon. I landed and my ghost said "Now, we can go anywhere we want!" I took about 5 steps to my left because I saw this gorgeous crater and open terrain I wanted to explore and it immediately said TURN BACK. That's when it really sunk in for me. I haven't got to see as much of Venus or Mars so I don't know if they're more expansive, but the Moon felt really confined.

...What? I haven't played 2 and haven't played much of Infinite, but I have no idea what you're getting at.

It's a online shooting game. I understand the criticisms on the lack of mission variety (and maaaybe content, not sure yet myself), but what on earth makes you think that this should have taken only 2 years to make? The production values are very impressive to me.

I have a feeling a lot of people expected a cinematic campaign similar to the Bioshock Infinite/Call of Duty games, and that this is why they are so disappointed with the 'story' aspect.

The Llama

It's a online shooting game. I understand the criticisms on the lack of mission variety (and maaaybe content, not sure yet myself), but what on earth makes you think that this should have taken only 2 years to make?

I have a feeling a lot of people expected a cinematic campaign similar to the Bioshock Infinite/Call of Duty games, and that this is why they are so disappointed with the 'story' aspect.

Because there's just not a lot to it. Seriously, the map sizes aren't that big, there's not a ton of loot, not much variety in enemies, etc. Bungie (AFAIK) isn't a small studio, so it's not like they were lacking manpower (and obviously they had dat Activision $$$).

I always went into this assuming it'd be 80% Borderlands, 10% WoW, and 10% Halo, and that's pretty much what we got. So no, I wasn't really expecting some grand, cinematic campaign. But I expected something else, whether that's bigger maps, more guns, whatever. And they didn't deliver it.

So I think it's far to ask: What the hell happened during the development of this game? Did they reboot it halfway through? Did they spend all their time polishing the UI (which is awesome)?

Abounder

Banned
I just don't understand where all their time went. It's basically just 4 medium sized maps with a bunch of missions that reuse the same places over and over again.

The time went to DLC and multiplatform support. But there does seem to be drama at Bungie with Staten leaving and O'Donnel getting fired, suing, and still being on the board despite Bungie wanting him gone. Which leads me to believe the game was tracking poorly internally.

Doran902

It really bothers me that some of these reviews I feel are coming from a place of resentment for the game not being what everyone dreamed it would be. Review it for what it is and not what you want it to be. Telling me the consumer it is a 4.5-6 / 10 I am going to assume the game is bad because over the last 10 years those scores have been reserved for below average games. I have been trained to believe a 7/10 is good / average. It makes no sense but that is how I have been conditioned since I was 9 years old. I don't feel this game is below average at all. Even if I hated the game I wouldn't objectively call it bad or below average.

Because there's just not a lot to it. Seriously, the map sizes aren't that big, there's not a ton of loot, not much variety in enemies, etc. Bungie (AFAIK) isn't a small studio, so it's not like they were lacking manpower (and obviously they had dat Activision $$$).

I always went into this assuming it'd be 80% Borderlands, 10% WoW, and 10% Halo, and that's pretty much what we got. So no, I wasn't really expecting some grand, cinematic campaign. But I expected something else, whether that's bigger maps, more guns, whatever. And they didn't deliver it.

So I think it's far to ask: What the hell happened during the development of this game? Did they reboot it halfway through? Did they spend all their time polishing the UI (which is awesome)?

I guess that because I haven't seen everything yet, my views on the quantity of content are skewed. Because to me it feels like there is quite a lot to do, see, and play.

I also love timed content/events in games, gives me the impression that Destiny will continually be updated and added to with extra content.

It really bothers me that some of these reviews I feel are coming from a place of resentment for the game not being what everyone dreamed it would be. Review it for what it is and not what you want it to be. Telling me the consumer it is a 4.5-6 / 10 I am going to assume the game is bad because over the last 10 years those scores have been reserved for below average games. I have been trained to believe a 7/10 is good / average. It makes nose sense but that is how I have been conditioned since I was 9 years old. I don't feel this game is below average at all. Even if I hated the game I wouldn't objectively call it bad or below average.

Exactly, my feeling as well. And which is why I'm really happy with Destiny so far.. I take it for what it is.

Have there been any responses from Bungie on the post launch comments and criticisms?

Not even on Bungie's own forums! And there is a huge feedback sub-forum with tons of threads... one even asking if/when Bungie would comment.

They've only seemed to comment on actual glitches actual broken elements of their game like Hunter FWC upgrading via Ascendant Motes.... that done even exist, lol.

Cudder

It really bothers me that some of these reviews I feel are coming from a place of resentment for the game not being what everyone dreamed it would be. Review it for what it is and not what you want it to be. Telling me the consumer it is a 4.5-6 / 10 I am going to assume the game is bad because over the last 10 years those scores have been reserved for below average games. I have been trained to believe a 7/10 is good / average. It makes nose sense but that is how I have been conditioned since I was 9 years old. I don't feel this game is below average at all. Even if I hated the game I wouldn't objectively call it bad or below average.

In terms of story and game design, the game is actually sub par.

KooopaKid

Banned
Another one :

http://www.honestgamers.com/12363/playstation-4/destiny/review.html

5/10

"Before the game was even released, Bungie made the bold claim that Destiny doesn't hit its potential until players reach the soft level cap and engage in postgame activities, a good 20 hours in, basically.
I completed the campaign in a few days, spent the remainder of the weekend senselessly grinding with no direction and no reward, and as soon as I'm done writing this, I'm going to play something that has a point. Bungie asks us to invest dozens of hours in exploring a flat world steeped in clichés, interacting with a community that barely exists and toying with RPG elements that seem to have phoned in sick. I like Destiny's gunplay, but that doesn't mean that I want to spend this much time with it for no real payoff.
"

It really bothers me that some of these reviews I feel are coming from a place of resentment for the game not being what everyone dreamed it would be. Review it for what it is and not what you want it to be. Telling me the consumer it is a 4.5-6 / 10 I am going to assume the game is bad because over the last 10 years those scores have been reserved for below average games. I have been trained to believe a 7/10 is good / average. It makes no sense but that is how I have been conditioned since I was 9 years old. I don't feel this game is below average at all. Even if I hated the game I wouldn't objectively call it bad or below average.
While people did craft magnificent visions of what the game might've been in their minds, lets not let the marketing and pre-release build-up off the hook. The marketing set the expectations, and I think its fair for reviews to contrast marketing expectations against the released product.

That's what the extra low spin on scores are representing imho.

Doran902

In terms of story and game design, the game is actually sub par.

Mission Design and Story I totally agree. Overall game design though I think there are some great things at work with the leveling, guns, events, level designs etc.

Whoever designed the main story missions though, talk about a lack of creativity.

Muffdraul

For you guys talking about story, well, This is how Bungie has always been. The story is there for those who want to invest in it and take the time to find the additional lore. Bungie has done this with every game they create and I would argue it is even a core design philosophy. Game first, additional story for those who want to look for it. The games have always featured additional world building and story, for example, the terminals in Marathon.
There is nothing wrong with this. They fucked up by not putting the grimoire cards in game, that is the key mistake.

I pretty much agree with you, and I know Jason Jones has always had an aversion to long expositional cut scenes in video games in general. I suspect he thought they compromised too much on that aspect in Halo and he wanted to walk it back. Not a smart move, IMO. Robust story telling in video games is not a genie to be put back into its bottle. I also suspect how Destiny's story was handled had everything to do with Joe Staten leaving Bungie.

But I object to you referring to Marathon's terminals as "additional world building and story". Marathon had no cut scenes or spoken dialogue or anything. The terminals provided ALL of Marathon's world building and story, they had no other choice back in ye olden tymes.

Synth

Everyone defending this game is so goddamn insulting. "In case you couldn't be bothered to follow the story"... yeah fuck that guy.

Don't forget all the people not "getting" Destiny, or not "understanding" what it is.

Fuck outta here with that. Half of the people throwing this accusation seem to understand the game less than most of those being critical (such as all that "play on hard, the AI is much smarter" nonsense we had earlier).

madmackem

This must be the worst reviewed game have had the must fun with and time spent, I'm about three days of real world time sunk in it on two platforms yet some are scoring it under a 6 mwahhhhhhh.

So, he doesn't understand the game?

I completely agree that the game doesn't deserve 5/10 but Bungie touted the social aspects of the game and they underdelivered, IMO.

Exactly. And if all that time went into DLC that is done already and they're staggering out--well, that's just shitty.

Aside from the art direction and design, I can't think of a single aspect of Destiny that has enough "depth" to warrant a 5 year development cycle.The worlds to explore aren't huge, each planet has 5-7 stages only, and there are only four planets.

This must be the worst reviewed game have had the must fun with and time spent, I'm about three days of real world time sunk in it on two platforms yet some are scoring it under a 6 mwahhhhhhh.

Honestly, if I didn't have my friends to play with, I would probably have a miserable time while playing it.

Despite its shortcomings, I keep coming back to it, though.

KooopaKid

Banned
Vincogneato's Twitter :

"What's the story of Metroid? What's the "reason" it gives you to push forward? There isn't one. It doesn't NEED one. Few good games do."

He's wrong. Super Metroid has an enticing story. Your mission is to get back the last Metroid and you have to investigate this entire planet in order to do so.
What's Destiny's goal? To fight back The Darkness. Except the game "ends" before you actually can.

At this point is anyone going to take the IGN review seriously?

Pretty sure everyone's already made up their mind - the IGN review will only server to further stoke the fires of debate. I'm just curious to read their opinion on it, is all. Don't really care what score they give it.

JCizzle

I have a love / hate feeling about it. Much of the game is great, but some decisions drag down the overall package.

JaseMath

I wonder how many people changed their stance subconsciously because of the reviews. I think I might've...then again, after both the Alpha and Beta, I'm a bit burned out having to do the first part of the game again.

I have a love / hate feeling about it. Much of the game is great, but some decisions drag down the overall package.

Pretty much how I feel about it. The core gameplay like shooting and abilities are pretty fun, but as I'm going through the game further I keep feeling an emptiness that isn't being filled.

The Llama

Pretty much how I feel about it. The core gameplay like shooting and abilities are pretty fun, but as I'm going through the game further I keep feeling an emptiness that isn't being filled.

Same. And to me that's the biggest tragedy. The core, underlying gameplay is so good that it hurts me that much of the rest of the game is so unfulfilling.

Impala26

The time went to DLC and multiplatform support. But there does seem to be drama at Bungie with Staten leaving and O'Donnel getting fired, suing, and still being on the board despite Bungie wanting him gone. Which leads me to believe the game was tracking poorly internally.

I know we'll very likely never know exactly what happened, but GOD I'd love to know what went down.

Based on the fact that initially Bungie announced in a seemingly heartfelt farewell letter that Marty O'Donnell was leaving the company and that less than a day later Marty went to Twitter to announce that "Hey guys, Bungie just terminated my contract without cause." That really raised my eyebrows. It made it seem like Bungie quietly wanted Marty to leave and wanted him to "civil" about doing so. Marty, being the fairly headstrong emotional type didn't want to hear it, so instead Bungie's Board of Directors decided to have him formally fired. The withholding of upaid vacation/sabbatical time and stock shares were just the kick in the pants as he was shown the door.

Rewind back to September 2013 when Joe Staten left. Specifically, his Bungie.net post states that he left the company to "pursue new creative challenges". It is my belief that Staten had this grand idea for the story/cinematics a'la Halo, but over time this was whittled away to the very basic form it is currently. Whether this was creative differences with others on the team or the fact that Joe might just simply be better at home making good story/cinematics for immersive single-player experiences (as opposed to generic mass-market appeal) is up for debate. I find it hard to imagine that Destiny's story faults lie at Joe's feet. If you listen to his Halo-era ViDoc's it's evident that he has a passion for lore and storytelling.

I think Joe found that the project in general was getting far too muddled and generic for his tastes, so he basically said, "I'm out." The departure of Joe could easily explain Destiny's lack of coherent story, at least from the perspective of how it's presented. The general story in the Halo games were always a bit derivative to be sure, but Joe's storytelling cinematics coupled with well-timed in-game dialogue always gave you that very visceral, basic drive as to "this is why I (as the player) am here and this is what I have to do." This is what Destiny seems to sorely lack.

That's my little theory anyway...

EDIT:
I pretty much agree with you, and I know Jason Jones has always had an aversion to long expositional cut scenes in video games in general. I suspect he thought they compromised too much on that aspect in Halo and he wanted to walk it back. Not a smart move, IMO. Robust story telling in video games is not a genie to be put back into its bottle. I also suspect how Destiny's story was handled had everything to do with Joe Staten leaving Bungie.

But I object to you referring to Marathon's terminals as "additional world building and story". Marathon had no cut scenes or spoken dialogue or anything. The terminals provided ALL of Marathon's world building and story, they had no other choice back in ye olden tymes.

Yep, goes pretty much hand-in-hand with my post here. I could totally see a roughly Harold Ryan/Jason Jones/Luke Smith vs. Joe Staten/Mary O'Donnell type rift that might have formed in the company of the course of the project. Different ideals resulting in a dragged down development cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom