• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisty

CNN BREAKING NEWS: TINFOIL SHORTAGES ON A NATION WIDE SCALE

Lol you laugh, but it was quite common on metacritic user scores to see someone rate the ps4 version 0 while the xbone version 10. Obviously I wouldn't suggest MS had a hand in that, but there are definitely some salty fanboys trying to bring the game down a peg

I felt like Destiny didn't come close to living up to Bungie's hype but I was still having a decent amount fun with it. At this point though I'm done. I just came to the realization that I'm not having fun anymore trying to grind out these light levels. It's not like I am against grinding as I've put hundreds of hours into games like PSO but Destiny just gets it wrong.

I got some entertainment out of it and I'd still rate it a 7/10 but I doubt I will return for DLC or sequels, so no 10 year plan for me. Too many other better games to spend time on.

Well yea but I doubt hes turning up the diff on daily stories if he cant finish a weekly strike. The best you could hope for is a lucky random drop from mobs in that case. He should be trying to get strange coins and raising vanguard/crucible reps and marks at this point, it seems

If there is little to no incentive to play a feature of the game, then that is a poorly designed feature. We were all level 20s, playing a lvl 20 Daily Heroic Story. Not getting any rewards for that sucks, plain and simple. If I just wanted Vanguard Marks and XP, there are faster ways to get that.

antitrop

Lol you laugh, but it was quite common on metacritic user scores to see someone rate the ps4 version 0 while the xbone version 10. Obviously I wouldn't suggest MS had a hand in that, but there are definitely some salty fanboys trying to bring the game down a peg

There are user reviews for Titanfall on Metacritic that rate the game down to a 3/10, because it supposedly has too many maps (with a helpful suggestion that the game would be better if there were only 4 "iconic" maps, instead).

Metacritic user reviews mean literally nothing. It's fair to assume that the vast majority of MC user reviews are entirely disingenuous. It's probably even more fair to assume that the vast majority of user reviews are from people that haven't even actually played the game. It is what it is.

Patroclos

Banned
there are definitely some salty fanboys trying to bring the game down a peg

Ok, the first post was crazy.

However, I do see this a lot with Destiny. Same thing happened in reverse (PS fans) with Titanfall. Both of these games seem to have brought an unprecedented amount of salt and hatred from both sides of the aisle. The MCC, Halo 5, Bloodbourne and SSO threads will be bloodbaths regardless of the merits of the games because of the bolded part. I just can't even imagine what the RoTR threads will be like.

dat new content

The Queen's event so far is

- Bounty to repeat the first mission of the game
- Bounty to repeat the 4th moon mission
- Bounty to headshot 200 Fallen
- Some PVP bounties just because
- Do a random story mission playlist that has been renamed "Queens Wrath" but still has all the same story cutscenes and dialogue it had before. After finishing this you get legendary loot.

jk

HaleStorm

If there is little to no incentive to play a feature of the game, then that is a poorly designed feature. We were all level 20s, playing a lvl 20 Daily Heroic Story. Not getting any rewards for that sucks, plain and simple. If I just wanted Vanguard Marks and XP, there are faster ways to get that.

You got bonus XP, Vangaurd, and Rare materials if you did it on a high enough difficulty.

Rare mats are the most exciting thing I can find right now, especially shards.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Grinding for loot (such as treasure cave) only gives you the regular RNG chance at engrams from kills, subject to RNG luck again upon decryption. No guaranteed loot after a 20-30 minute run. No vanguard marks. No rep.
Is there a difference between grinding faction rep and marks in order to buy legendary gear and grinding gold in D3 in order to buy legendary gear in the Auction House? Because that's what it feels like.

ironcreed

Banned
I felt like Destiny didn't come close to living up to Bungie's hype but I was still having a decent amount fun with it. At this point though I'm done. I just came to the realization that I'm not having fun anymore trying to grind out these light levels. It's not like I am against grinding as I've put hundreds of hours into games like PSO but Destiny just gets it wrong.

I got some entertainment out of it and I'd still rate it a 7/10 but I doubt I will return for DLC or sequels, so no 10 year plan for me. Too many other better games to spend time on.

That is pretty much where I have arrived. Had some fun, but then I hit the horribly unbalanced wall and see no reason to keep beating my head against it in hopes that I will get lucky. And even if I did, what would I do? The same slog all over again until the DLC comes out that will likely have the same formula of hollow missions and little reward? No thanks.

Ha ha! No. You didn't think Bungie would add actual free content, did you?

Haha well the Reef seemed to good to be true, I just heard that from a friend. But I've seen a lot of people posting that they do plan to add free content. I'm hoping they do because I'm insanely bored of what's there - I just started doing strikes and it seems like they're just rehashes of story missions.

That is pretty much where I have arrived. Had some fun, but then I hit the horribly unbalanced wall and see no reason to keep beating my head against it in hopes that I will get lucky. And even if I did, what would I do? The same slog all over again until the DLC comes out that will likely have the same formula of hollow missions and little reward? No thanks.

Thats where I'm at right now. Got myself up to 22 and am bored stiff. Think I'll drop in to do some strikes now and again and check out new additions but otherwise I'm done. It was a fun enough game to play through the story and do some strikes but I'm not seeing much point in continuing with so many other games coming out soon.

Thats where I'm at right now. Got myself up to 22 and am bored stiff. Think I'll drop in to do some strikes now and again and check out new additions but otherwise I'm done. It was a fun enough game to play through the story and do some strikes but I'm not seeing much point in continuing with so many other games coming out soon.

Same here man. Gonna finish up Metro 2033 this week and then Shadow of Mordor next week. Driveclub and possibly Alien next month, it's gonna be good! :)

Haha well the Reef seemed to good to be true, I just heard that from a friend. But I've seen a lot of people posting that they do plan to add free content. I'm hoping they do because I'm insanely bored of what's there - I just started doing strikes and it seems like they're just rehashes of story missions.

The new story missions from the Queen apparently don't become available until the DLC is out.

So for now, its just bounties/rehashes, apparently? Prove me wrong, children--prove me wrong!

Kolgar

Level 20 -> 26 is the big Raid level grind. You're either grinding for marks and rep on the Vanguard Playlist/Crucible, doing bounties, or shooting at trash mobs at the treasure cave for potential rare/legendary drops. To upgrade Light level gear you have to grind out planet materials or ascendant shards. Once you're raid-ready, seems like it's a repeat raid grind to 28 to be Nightfall Strike ready. Rinse and repeat 'til 30 I guess.

If that doesn't sound fun to you, sell or shelve the game. I wouldn't blame you.

Thanks. I think I'll trade it while I can still get $44 and leave the door open to revisiting a Game of the Year edition (lol) down the line.

It just sounds as if I've seen the best this game has to offer me right now. May as well stop on a high note.

KingJolly

Banned
So the consensus is, its a decent game but very overhyped and kinda of lacking at the moment but has potential to become pretty good, if bungie release good content in the future.

Wierd even after all its flaws there's something enticing about Destiny that makes me want to go buy it tommorow. Could it because of the possibility that in a year Destiny could be an amazing game?

Two Words

Destiny is making me go back to Warframe. The weapons and abilities in Warframe are more diverse, and there's less grinding in Warframe. Both stories are equally pointless.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
So the consensus is, its a decent game but very overhyped and kinda of lacking at the moment but has potential to become pretty good, if bungie release good content in the future.

Wierd even after all its flaws there's something enticing about Destiny that makes me want to go buy it tommorow. Could it because of the possibility that in a year Destiny could be an amazing game?

If you're in the States, I'll sell you my PS4 copy for $40 plus shipping. In a year I think the game will be amazing since they'll probably have figured out loot and matchmaking. But right now, there's too much grinding you have to do between finishing the campaign and the first big raid instance at level 26. They need content between level 20 and 26 if they want to keep people playing.

Destiny is making me go back to Warframe. The weapons and abilities in Warframe are more diverse, and there's less grinding in Warframe. Both stories are equally pointless.
There are actual characters in Warframe (though thin, they have motivations and machinations), and they react to the player's actions, individually and in aggregate across the entire community.

denshuu

I thought this was the update that made the Reef playable?

Nope. Enjoy replaying the same missions and strikes you've alreayd done dozens of times over. This time the bounties give you a purple shader. Much like the purple shaders you can already buy from the emblem vendor. Hooraaay.

b6ae2b2c72ec61ea0af99694d4d32245.png

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Nope. Enjoy replaying the same missions and strikes you've alreayd done dozens of times over. This time the bounties give you a purple shader. Much like the purple shaders you can already buy from the emblem vendor. Hooraaay.

And legendary gear. I you're going to snark, at least know what the hell you are talking about.

You didnt get anything because its a WEEKLY strike, not daily. Youve probably already done the strike (the icon will be colored and rewards wont be listed if youve done it) so therefore no reward.

Are there rewards (other than vanguard credits) for doing the daily Heroic Missions? I've done two or three but haven't received anything.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I keep hearing about legendary gear but I've yet to actually see a purple drop - at this point I can only assume you are all making it up :p

I'\m pretty sure the Queen gives a guaranteed drop for mission completion. I had three marks and got three purples. One which was a good help replacement and a chest piece with the stats I wanted.

So between this and Vanguard/Crucible rep - theres no reason to sit for hours grinding.

I keep hearing about legendary gear but I've yet to actually see a purple drop - at this point I can only assume you are all making it up :p
I got my first legendary engram drop last night.

Of course, it decoded as a rare. Of course it did.

The Queen's Wrath being nothing but bounties and existing story missions is where I jump out. It shows that there won't be any decent content support for the game outside of the premium DLC, and the strikes, while fun, definitely lose their luster after the 10th time through.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I got my first legendary engram drop last night.

Of course, it decoded as a rare. Of course it did.

The Queen's Wrath being nothing but bounties and existing story missions is where I jump out. It shows that there won't be any decent content support for the game outside of the premium DLC, and the strikes, while fun, definitely lose their luster after the 10th time through.

Yea that VoG. . .what a lame addition.

I'\m pretty sure the Queen gives a guaranteed drop for mission completion. I had three marks and got three purples. One which was a good help replacement and a chest piece with the stats I wanted.

So between this and Vanguard/Crucible rep - theres no reason to sit for hours grinding.

Depends what the bounties are. I've seen plenty that seem like requirements for completing them is essentially grinding anyway.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Depends what the bounties are. I've seen plenty that seem like requirements for completing them is essentially grinding anyway.

To me the most grindy PVE one is the 100/200 headshot one. All of them are easily completed before the average person sees a purple.

Ok, the first post was crazy.

However, I do see this a lot with Destiny. Same thing happened in reverse (PS fans) with Titanfall. Both of these games seem to have brought an unprecedented amount of salt and hatred from both sides of the aisle. The MCC, Halo 5, Bloodbourne and SSO threads will be bloodbaths regardless of the merits of the games because of the bolded part. I just can't even imagine what the RoTR threads will be like.

This makes no sense though for Destiny as it's on both systems and cross gen even. Maybe Wii U fanboys? I don't think this is console wars, there are legitimate beefs with the game.

Vespene

iIZvChawu3IZ4.png

So let's recap now that this game-changing content is out:

Xur: An NPC vendor who gives you loot using very grindy currency.

First Events: Queen's Wrath, a story playlist which remixes old story missions with gameplay modifiers. More vendor loot available.

First Raid Event: Vault of Glass, a well designed dungeon where you can potentially get the couple of items needed to push you from 28 to 30. (and nothing really is waiting for you once you get to 30)

... Yeah that Metacritic score is well deserved.

danwarb

That happens with every Xbox and PS game. Step back and let the world in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom