• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's literally no point. The game is terribly balanced, there's no reason to try and get better, it's a roll of the dice.

Bungie is basically saying "Who cares if you are great, average, or horrible, everybody wins!"

I don't care for that mentality, and it's not the Bungie I know.

I'm sorry but balancing issues aside, this is simply not true. Skill does apply. Luck as well, but doesn't it in any game to some degree?

You could see how I got rewarded in the last page, post number #12338.

I feel your pain, buddy. I mean, I've been on an upslope in terms of turning stuff in, but I know the disappointment of getting things not for your class ;_;

I'm sorry but balancing issues aside, this is simply not true. Skill does apply. Luck as well, but doesn't it in any game to some degree?

I think he's talking about balance in terms of loot dropping.

Please tell me one way skill applies to getting a reward. There's no ranking system, so playing well gives you no reward. Getting 1st place doesn't meant anything, since guys who do jack for your team get rewarded just as frequently. Where does skill get rewarded
exactly?

And this is one of the easier games I have ever played. I have played maybe a dozen games of PVP and consistently place on top. There is little to no skill gap or learning curve. I spawn with a consistent one shot in my back pocket every single game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
2. Im not giving my opinion on destiny's gameplay i just think its flawed. Thats like the definition of an opinion.

4. I played titanfall on x1. Look at my post history or gamer tag gatti-man (it may or may not have the hyphen). Saying it has 15 maps is true but not true. Some maps were exclusive to modes most people rarely played. I can only remember 6. Even 15 is pathetic for an mp only game. By comparison destiny has 40 maps if you count the SP content. Its tiny and really unbelievable. I remember playing TF on release saying to myself "wow the beta really was the entire game minus two titans"

0 of the maps in titanfall are mode locked.

You'll never know the feeling when you turn in 4 legendary engrams and all you get is legendaries for another class *rage*

If it makes you feel better, I turned in a legendary engram and got an Exotic for a hunter. When I'm a Titan. Who'll never touch a Hunter.

If you got a slap in the face, I got a boot in the nuts.

Now I think I better understand all those W101 guys last year saying it was their game of the year and other folks just didn't understand.... this game has its hooks in me to an insane degree... It has now bumped Transistor, Rogue Legacy, and Diablo 3 as front runner for most fun I have had in 2014. Far Cry 4 is the last game on my must buy list that has a shot at beating it. A good portion of the complaints are legitimate (Needed about 2 or 3 times the cut scenes, chat needs more options, post 20 needs better in game explanation, and the Gilmore cards should be in game; no excuses), but it is still a 8.5-9.0 game for me. Even now at work all I can do is read DGaf and check my Destiny app. I am in soooooooo deep...

This may be the most baffling of things, WHY in the hell would Bungie make legendary-exotic drops random class??? If there is no way to trade or sell items, what is the point of giving random class drops? It's like they didn't even think this through.

T-thanks? I guess? I'm just meandering and thinking about things to make the game better. Games should reward skill. Simple as that.

The game should reward skill but your system is ridiculous. 10 games and I'd be decked in legendaries.

The current loot system is the worst I've ever seen though and I don't see the point in trying so hard in Crucible when the worst players regularly get rewarded. This is the first game where I'm embracing exploits (loot cave) and maybe even AFKing.

If it makes you feel better, I turned in a legendary engram and got an Exotic for a hunter. When I'm a Titan. Who'll never touch a Hunter.

If you got a slap in the face, I got a boot in the nuts.

That makes me me even angrier.

tumblr_inline_n7z1wvVZ571r9pbwu.gif

This may be the most baffling of things, WHY in the hell would Bungie make legendary-exotic drops random class??? If there is no way to trade or sell items, what is the point of giving random class drops? It's like they didn't even think this through.

Its obvious. They want you to roll a new class and spend more time in the game.

diaspora

Despite his complaints, Joe goes on and on in 29:10 how he can't stop playing Destiny because of how fun the game is. 6/10 is a reasonable review and I agree with his views on PvP.

Now that isn't true. He keeps going back for loot, but points out actually getting it is utter shite.

zoukka

This is Diablo 3 all over again. When the good loot was actually rare in that game after launch everyone just whined and whined and whined endlessly about how they want legendaries in every play session. Now the loot is ridiculous in D3. Nothing feels valuable or rare anymore. I hope Destiny doesn't follow suite.

Rayme

4. I played titanfall on x1. [...] Saying it has 15 maps is true but not true. Some maps were exclusive to modes most people rarely played.

That is completely 100% untrue. All maps are in all modes & always have been, other than the special Campaign playlist, which plays 9 of the maps in story order w/ slightly different content.

Even 15 is pathetic for an mp only game. By comparison destiny has 40 maps if you count the SP content.

This is amazing. T-shirts should be made. You're doing both games a disservice.

This is Diablo 3 all over again. When the good loot was actually rare in that game after launch everyone just whined and whined and whined endlessly about how they want legendaries in every play session. Now the loot is ridiculous in D3. Nothing feels valuable or rare anymore. I hope Destiny doesn't follow suite.

Is this what a strawman looks like? Just checking cause it does nothing to address the real issues this game is having.

I wouldn't call it ridiculous. I'd call it a fine wine. Sure, Legendaries are plentiful, but those who want to min/max or get certain sets still have a very long way to go. Getting a legendary, seeing it be the thing you don't want, makes you say 'Dangit I just need one more piece!' It keeps you playing. It keeps you wanting to get the perfect set.

Bull. Loot games should hand out loot in a fairly steady progression. None of this "sacrifice my firstborn child to the RNG for a slightly lower chance of a purple turning into a blue after two loading screens" crap. Should the very best of the best weapons and armor be tough to get? Yes. But Destiny's system is too punishing for too little gain.

Derpcrawler

Wait, so you post anecdotal evidence as the fact? That's on of the most dumb posts I ever saw on neogaf. Oh lord. Where do I begin. Friend of mine have average PvP K/D of 3.1, he can single handly carry most matches on his own. He played more than 150 PvP games so far. He didn't get a single legendary or exotic since launch. When I played it, I usually had K/D of 1.8-3.0, only time I fell bellow 1 was when I lagged (3-4 sec delday) and before I got automatic rifle, since pulse rifle just didn't cut it. I got maybe 3-4 pieces of loot from PvP. I saw guy who was AFK half the match with 0.40KDR getting 2 exotics in one reward screen. Most of the time top 3 players got 1 engram or didn't get anything at all. So far that is the experience me and many of my friend, who are much more into PvP, had.

A_Gorilla

Banned

There's a difference between "being tough to get BUT being able to actually get it if you know what to do and plan ahead" and "doing a Hail Mary every time you visit that Goddamn Cryptarc."

antitrop

Washington Post "review" . . . seems more like rambling than a review.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...y-its-beauty-lies-in-the-eye-of-the-consoler/
He called Spec Ops: The Line a first-person shooter. Though I am obviously glad whenever that game receives any attention at all, I don't think this is a particularly well-written review, however. As you said, it's fairly incoherent.

I'll try my best to summarize:

- Betas can be risky
- Didn't like the Beta, went into full game with low expectations
- Doesn't like Dinklage performance or script writing
- Wouldn't play the game if he didn't have to review it
- Plot synopsis
- Basic explanation of game mechanics/structure
- Doesn't like competitive MP in general, so mostly grinds
- Doesn't mind the grind, kinda likes the game
- Why?

because this, I guess?

Well, it all goes back to those astronauts in the game’s intro. After I completed the story missions, I revisited the Moon, Venus and Mars, where I skirted past alien patrols to gaze, unbothered, upon strange symbols scratched into walls, wiry-looking structures of unknown purpose, pools of iridescent liquids pockmarking the ground, and the like. I experienced a small epiphany inside of a structure on Mars when I noticed a wall that shimmered like a piece of corrugated metal. When I approached it from an angle, I saw that it was actually a window that looked out onto several buildings. I paused and considered how many hours must have gone into producing this little effect, which could easily be brushed over in the rush to complete an objective. Then I considered how in a different context—say, with Mario Kart 8 or the widely praised throwback Shovel Knight—writers of my ilk might lavish praise upon a game’s atmosphere because we know it’s not trying to tell us a grand story, but rather to evoke something else, like glee.

Ya lost me.

zoukka

There's a difference between "being tough to get BUT being able to actually get it if you know what to do and plan ahead" and "doing a Hail Mary every time you visit that Goddamn Cryptarc."

The best stuff should most definitely be behind pure RNG. Otherwise inflation hits very fast.

tanooki27

It's almost sickening when people support random drops and "everyone wins!" mentality. So the guy that does the best on the team should have the same amount of chance to get a drop as the guy that does the worst on the team? It's completely random and an absolute joke, it makes players not want to try. What's the point of trying, you can do horrible and still get the same amount of loot as the guy that's actually giving effort.

I still like winning.

I think this is all I have seen:
iIZvChawu3IZ4.png

Not an official statement and he deleted the tweet soon after.

Wait, wtf does Xur have anythign to do with it? i can't even buy anything from him yet and i'm at level 25
It's almost sickening when people support random drops and "everyone wins!" mentality. So the guy that does the best on the team should have the same amount of chance to get a drop as the guy that does the worst on the team? It's completely random and an absolute joke, it makes players not want to try. What's the point of trying, you can do horrible and still get the same amount of loot as the guy that's actually giving effort.

Blame Obama.

iIZvChawu3IZ4.png

It's a motherfucking shame that people waited to review our game until we told them they could review our game.

They should have waited longer.

Stupid assholes.

Lacedaemon

Neo Member

GerVv3G.png

I know that feel.

GerVv3G.png

I know that feel.

Yup. Was playing with gaffers last night. We bodied this other team and their lowest scoring player with 2 kills GOT AN EXOTIC HAND CANNON I FUCKING WANT SO BAD. LIKE ITS ONE OF THE TWO ITEMS I ACTUALLY WANT IN THE ENTIRE GAME.

Getting extra rep isn't enough. Everyone is going to hit level 3 eventually. Should be something like, hitting certain milestones gets you a reward. Maybe amount of kills, captures, multi-kills etc rewards you with some legendary engrams. Not that they'll amount to much most of the time but at least you have a steady stream coming in for doing good.

A loot game that solely relies on RNG drops is never a good idea. This is MMO design 10 years ago. Problem with Destiny is it's trying to be like a MMO while not being an MMO. It's trying to be something between a loot whore game like Diablo and a MMO like WoW and failed on both fronts. For a game that relies on loot soo much no trade or AH or social features is well just bad design.

And I love how Bungie keeps saying "Please wait". 2 months later they will tell us to wait for the expansion packs before judging the story.

Bungie, oh how I loved you :(

Please deliver for Destiny 2 a full fledged game.

Seanspeed

Banned
iIZvChawu3IZ4.png

It's a motherfucking shame that people waited to review our game until we told them they could review our game.

They should have waited longer.

Stupid assholes.
So what about all the people in here saying the same things? Are they all 'stupid assholes', too?

EDIT: Ah my bad, totally misread your comment.

THRILLH0

Banned

Wow

Toughest content should yield the best chances to roll the best gear for sure.

Now here's the problem- Bosses don't guarantee loots. And when they do it's the same level of loot as any normal mobs with the same random chance.

At that point what's the reward for killing Bosses and doing Strikes? Why not just shoot into a cave if it yields the same reward?

Someone please tell me this isn't actually the case... :eek:

Oh you'll find out quite early that Bosses don't drop loot. At first you would think that maybe you've just missed it or that maybe you already picked it up, but no- bosses don't guarantee loot.

Then later you find out that mobs drop loot according to YOUR level not theirs, so you'll end up just farming a cave instead of experiencing the higher level zones because why bother? The mobs all have relatively the same types- a weak normal one, a stronger one with a gimmick, and a tough shield one that bounces around.

Someone please tell me this isn't actually the case... :eek:

They don't drop shit. This makes the reveal where they down a boss in the dam and the presenter finds an exotic machine gun even more deceptive.

No loot drops for dropping bosses in a loot game. That's some elementary shit.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Now here's the problem- Bosses don't guarantee loots. And when they do it's the same level of loot as any normal mobs with the same random chance.

At that point what's the reward for killing Bosses and doing Strikes? Why not just shoot into a cave if it yields the same reward?
One is fun, the other isn't. And doing strikes and bounties give you more rewards than just loot.

Of course they give you loot. Unlike most MMOs where a boss will drop one or two items, rolled on by a large group of people (meaning you're unlikely to get anything), Destiny's Strike playlists guarantee that every single player will get at least one item at the end of each Strike, often two, on top of the random loot drops throughout the Strike. On top of the guaranteed loot, you're getting vanguard marks (used to buy guaranteed legendaries), and vanguard rep (which often provides legendary engrams each time you level the rep).

If you prefer shooting into treasure cave hoping for a legendary engram to drop after an hour or two of mind-numbing boredom, and then getting screwed over by the Cryptarch when you're lucky enough to get that legendary engram, then by all means - grind ahead! But I'm light level 27, and got there by playing Strike playlists for vanguard marks and rep. I hate PVP, so never bothered earning crucible marks, but I often wonder if I'd have enough currency for a legendary sparrow by now as well if I'd also been using crucible marks to buy legendaries.

Just watched the Angry Joe Review. Where does the extra cinematics footage come from?

The one with the Awoken out here in the wild? Early trailer.

Of course they give you loot. Unlike most MMOs where a boss will drop one or two items, rolled on by a large group of people (meaning you're unlikely to get anything), Destiny's Strike playlists guarantee that every single player will get at least one item at the end of each Strike, often two, on top of the random loot drops throughout the Strike. On top of the guaranteed loot, you're getting vanguard marks (used to buy guaranteed legendaries), and vanguard rep (which often provides legendary engrams each time you level the rep).

Here's the problem- Because you are already using a system that gives individuals their own loot table, why not use it on the bosses where people want to be rewarded the most? (Not instantly the best gear)

In fact I'm willing to bet that instead of having a loot reward at the end of the Strike, if they had set those loot to drop from bosses you would have a much more satisfying experience downing them.

But the issue again is that the loot from a random mob, a boss, or strike rewards, are all under the same RNG.

If you prefer shooting into treasure cave hoping for a legendary engram to drop after an hour or two of mind-numbing boredom, and then getting screwed over by the Cryptarch when you're lucky enough to get that legendary engram, then by all means - grind ahead! But I'm light level 27, and got there by playing Strike playlists for vanguard marks and rep. I hate PVP, so never bothered earning crucible marks, but I often wonder if I'd have enough currency for a legendary sparrow by now as well if I'd also been using crucible marks to buy legendaries.

If you ask me, the cave shouldn't even have been a viable option to begin with- Legendary and rares shouldn't be dropping from low level mobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom