• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny's PvP doesn't feel fun anymore

Shadous

Neo Member
I started listening to Crucible Radio over the last few months and managed to seriously upgrade my game in D1. With the changes to PvP in D2, I feel that improvement even more. I feel much more personally responsible for my own successes and screw-ups since the team sizes are smaller. I can get why that wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, though. Sometimes you just want to play mayhem and watch everything explode.

Jonboy

Personally have had a ton of fun with the beta even though it's limited to 2 maps. The crew I run with has enjoyed it as well. Plenty of things to critique, but I like a lot of the changes.

I'm really not too concerned about the cool down times yet. We will undoubtedly be able to shorten them with better gear that ships with the final game.

Kyne

For the people who liked feeling overpowered, and the unbalanced just-for-fun modes like mayhem, I'm sure theyre still going to design game modes for you.

This slow version of control is so much more interesting, competitively, than dying over and over to grenade / super / sniper / shotgun spam. I've been playing pvp since the launch of D1 and this is easily some of the most balanced and interesting its ever been.

Obviously we're looking at a small sample size here, but I like what I see and can make a good guess about where things are headed.

it's not even about feeling overpowered, it's just about feeling powered in general.

if I wanted strict gun play then I'd go play CoD or Counterstrike. Give me my damn super more than (possibly) once.

For the people who liked feeling overpowered, and the unbalanced just-for-fun modes like mayhem, I'm sure theyre still going to design game modes for you.

This slow version of control is so much more interesting, competitively, than dying over and over to grenade / super / sniper / shotgun spam. I've been playing pvp since the launch of D1 and this is easily some of the most balanced and interesting its ever been.

Obviously we're looking at a small sample size here, but I like what I see and can make a good guess about where things are headed.

It's not just about feeling over powered in pvp. It's that they made it to cater to only the more hardcore audience. This new mode was not meant for solo players or those that don't like sweaty play. As for the power issue this is Destiny, you are a space magic warrior. It's only natural to want to actually use your abilities more than one. Though it seems like Bungie is tweaking this, so it should be better.

As for the beta, as a person that mainly played control, this version was far to slow for me. Though I can understand why some would like the slower pace. Maybe if they added 1 more person it might have flowed better. Additionally, grenade / super / sniper / shotgun spam was never really a problem in control, or atleast I never had any major issues with it in D1.

I didn't play enough to really go one way or the other, but I can already tell I'm going to miss the bigger player count. When I was having fun with D1 PVP it was because of the hectic and chaotic nature that created. It felt like you were part of a small war. That's totally lost with 4v4 and it's not bad, but it's surely different. It's probably inarguably tighter and more balanced, but for me I wouldn't necessarily say it's more fun. Sometimes I want to play SWAT and sometimes I want to play Big Team Battle you know? Unfortunately with D2 I'm not going to have that choice.

Siege.exe

I thought it was just as fun as D1 pvp, except people weren't always running around with shotguns so it comes out miles ahead in overall enjoyment. I'm sure that when we have armor with actual cooldown related traits, supers will come more than once a match. I'd also be fairly shocked if we didn't see Mayhem return, maybe not at launch but some time in the near future.

It was. It simply was in all of D1's Crucible. Might just be my opinion (i dont think so though) but the cheese spam was like 50% of Destiny's PvP lol.

I might not had much of an issue, since I main a Mida. So most of my fights were long to mid range. Though haven't had to deal with any snipers lately. Must be the luckiest guardian.

ethomaz

Banned
Destiny 2 Crucible is...

Everybody hold close to their team and shot the first dude... kill him... aim the second dude... kill him... kill the third dude... now kill the fourth dude...

Back to the first dude that just spanned on the map again... repeat forever and win boring matches.

Destiny vanilla Crucible was...

Hold your own shit, help the team and change strategies constantly... if your team are losing stream just go to other place and attack from the back while your team hold the dudes.

Change the pace, give options to your team, make epic comebacks from close to lose matches.

Fun fun fun and tons of fun.

You can even play lazy the first half of the match for fun and if you are losing then gear up to competitive level and you have chamce to comeback... moment to moment is important in Destiny vanilla and that makes the game unpredictable and a hell of fun.

SoulClap

Don't really care that they've nerfed the ability spam to the ground, although it is weird that everyone gets their super right around the same time. I do care that movement felt sluggish and the gunplay in Beta was completely unsatisfying. I can see them tweaking TTK for the retail release but I doubt' they'll ever bring back the unique movements from D1.

Zakalwe

Banned
Destiny 2 Crucible is...

Everybody hold close to their team and shot the first dude... kill him... aim the second dude... kill him... kill the third dude... now kill the fourth dude...

Back to the first dude that just spanned on the map again... repeat forever and win boring matches.

Destiny vanilla Crucible was...

Hold your own shit, help the team and change strategies constantly... if your team are losing stream just go to other place and attack from the back while your team hold the dudes.

Change the pace, give options to your team, make epic comebacks from close to lose matches.

Fun fun fun and tons of fun.

You can even play lazy the first half of the match for fun and if you are losing then gear up to competitive level and you have chamce to comeback... moment to moment is important in Destiny vanilla and that makes the game unpredictable and a hell of fun.

D2 pvp isn't like that at all unless you're talking about focused pre-made 4v4, and then the same would be true for D1.

I mean, it could be that every game you've personally played has followed that sequence, but it's /so/ far from my own experience I find that difficult to understand....

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Except for mayhem where are these grenades and super spam matches? I must have been playing the wrong game. Have over 8k matches in D1.

ethomaz

Banned
D2 pvp isn't like that at all unless you're talking about focused pre-made 4v4, and then the same would be true for D1.

I mean, it could be that every game you've personally played has followed that sequence, but it's /so/ far from my own experience I find that difficult to understand....
It is exactly that...

Destiny vanilla everybody is a hero.

Destiny 2 everybody is a cannon fodder.

You lose te potential to be a hero... to change the pace, the moment for moment of the match... you lose the ability to be creative, to change the match for bad or good... you lose the fun.

platocplx

Don't really care that they've nerfed the ability spam to the ground, although it is weird that everyone gets their super right around the same time. I do care that movement felt sluggish and the gunplay in Beta was completely unsatisfying. I can see them tweaking TTK for the retail release but I doubt' they'll ever bring back the unique movements from D1.

It wont be like that in the full game because of the armor changes etc.

E92 M3

I love the new version of control. The action is always happening and people can't behind their teammates.

Honest question - if you don't like supers, fantastical grenades and sniper rifles then why are you playing Destiny? Being superpowered and having different unrealistic tools besides bullets at your disposal is what sets it apart. That's exactly why a lot of us play it. We all want to be superheroes and use and see weird shit that we don't see in other games.

If you just want to shoot boring handguns and scout rifles all day with your team then there are other more realistic games that do that.

Zakalwe

Banned
It is exactly that...

You lose te potential to be a hero... to change the pace, the moment for moment of the match... you lose the ability to be creative... you lose the fun.

It's not exactly that though because it's literally not that for the majority of the games I've played as a single queue. Unless my experience is nothing like the average player's, I think you're wrong.

It's not as chaotic as 1, obviously, but the sequence you describe is not all there is to it as you claim.

Siege.exe

Yeah, I almost never stick close to my teammates, even when I play with my friends. I think I've seen maybe one team stay grouped up like that, but I didn't get the impression that it was the go-to strategy.

Head.spawn

The terrible PvP of the first game is what kept me from buying that one. I have no clue how people can buy a Bungie game with such shit and limited MP. It didn't hit any of the highs of any Halo game in any respect, not even almost.

Jo-El

I loved 6v6 and I hate 4v4, so that's the thing that kills it for me. Maybe if they make some changes I'll pick up the game down the road.

Karamsoul

This much is obvious, but maybe it should still be said that is just my own opinion.

I should preface this with saying that I'm one of the few weirdos who actually really enjoyed vanilla Destiny 1's PvP even at it's most unbalanced and nutty (yeah, even when the Thorn and TLW reigned supreme).

I should also mention that I stopped playing regularly with the release of The Taken King (for reasons unrelated to the game).

I've been playing quite a bit of the Destiny 2 Beta lately and while the shooting itself still feels great, the matches themselves have lost some of the over the top hectic action I fell in love with in the original. I feel this is in large part thanks to both character abilities like grenades taking significantly longer to recharge and to the uniform 4v4 that will be standard for all crucible gametypes. I get that a lot of people didn't like the so-called "grenade spam" that'd happen, especially in the first fight of a game, but I feel like the new charge times are overkill. In my opinion, it really takes away a lot of the personality of the different classes leaving their double jumps as the biggest defining feature. Supers coming around on average only once per game in quickplay feels especially lame.

I for sure don't feel like a super powered undead Space Wizard fighting other weirdly murderous super heroes anymore.

While I think 4v4 is a really good idea for competitive, I think it truly sucks that there aren't any (last I checked) planned 6v6 or 3v3 modes. Variety is good! The spice of life even! 6v6 games with supers, grenades, and blinking everywhere were crazy and fun!

Another major bit contributing to the Less Fun™ is that characters and weapon/armor loadouts have also become simpler and consequently more boring. Really, the fact that all the cool secondary weapons from Destiny 1 (save for pistols) are now consolidated under the heavy category is the absolute lamest thing. I get that Bungie wants weapons like shotguns, fusion rifles, and sniper rifles to be game changers and part of the whole meta in controlling the heavy ammo spawns, but... as someone who really loved using all of those, being able to only briefly use them a few times per game sucks pretty hard. I do enjoy the fights over the heavy ammo spawns in competitive and appreciate the thinking behind it, but not enough to not be able to rock out with cool guns like the Lord of Wolves or the Pocket Infinity. Neither of which were the best guns, but were always fun to use.

I should also mention: I understand the logic for PvE where they wanted to address how people would often feel peer pressured into using primaries with elemental burns for everything since they were just... objectively the better choice. Especially the raid guns (RIP Fatebringer ;_;7 ).

I do recognize that there were always folks who hated how shotguns dominated things for a bit, how certain maps devolved into sniper alleys, disliked being one shot by a fusion rifle, and who really hated the blink + shotgun combo amongst other things. So perhaps I'm in the minority on all this and this is just the logical conclusion of what the majority of Destiny fans wanted.

Another thing I'm probably(definitely?) in the minority in is disliking how weapons and armor don't have randomized perks anymore. To me, it was always fun mixing and matching different perks on guns to see what fun combinations I could come up with that worked well with certain character abilities of special armor perks. It also feels like a mistake in a game as historically content starved as Destiny? At least it didn't used to feel like a waste when I'd get weapons with the same names. Now in the D2 beta, it's just like - so what? You're all the same anyways.

To me, coming up with interesting combinations of character abilities + weapon loadouts + armor loadouts + weapon/armor perks felt a lot like experimenting with different teams of characters and their assists in Marvel vs Capcom 2 and 3. Finding the synergy of which combinations worked well or were silly gimmicky fun. Actually, Destiny 1's PvP felt a lot like MvC 3 in that there were always clearly superior builds and combinations, but you could still be a threat with off-meta stuff. And that it was fun at least in part because of it's unbalanced nonsense.

Again variety = bueno, Life's favorite spice, etc.

All that said, I really enjoyed the PvE story bit in the beginning! Unfortunately I don't see me hopping back on the bandwagon anymore. At least not initially anyways.

My brother would also like me to mention he feels the sprinting is "clunky". " Like your guardian has taken one too many trips to IHOP." I didn't notice a difference.

Anyone else feel the same? Anyone think I'm blabbering and absolutely bonkers? I'd appreciate any takes on why I'm actually wrong and all this is all very bigly and Good™.

You're not in the minority. I miss the chaos too and the push for 4v4 across all game-types and relegating snipers and shot ties to power weapons is perplexing (and infuriating, TBH).

Zakalwe

Banned
You're not in the minority. I miss the chaos too and the push for 4v4 across all game-types and relegating snipers and shot ties to power weapons is perplexing (and infuriating, TBH).

Well, tbh, we don't know who is the majority/minority so we should avoid statements like that.

What we know for sure is that there's a significant amount of players of both sides of the debate, and while both can't be fully appeased Bungie definitely could cater to bother better than they have done/are doing.

Blam

They halo 5ed it. Small teams with small maps. It's trash. I like my big team and 5v5,medium,large maps .

I don't actually understand this force 4v4 instead of letting us play 6v6 unranked. I'm waiting for this PC version so I can help whomever mod the shit out of it.

I like them in both PVP and PVE, but spamming them in Mayhem with 0 skills It isn't fun to me.

But that's what Mayhem was all about though....Literally every 30 seconds your super/ability was ready to go. I can understand if it was every mode, but this was just one of many different ones.

Zakalwe

Banned
I don't actually understand this force 4v4 instead of letting us play 6v6 unranked. I'm waiting for this PC version so I can help whomever mod the shit out of it.

With 4v4, if they stick to it religiously, then gone are any kind of larger vehicle based maps. 6v6 is the lower limit of what made the larger maps work in D1, surely?

Siege.exe

It is exactly that...

You lose te potential to be a hero... to change the pace, the moment for moment of the match... you lose the ability to be creative, to change the match for bad or good... you lose the fun.

Ehhh, I don't agree with that at all. I've absolutely seen people, including myself, turn the tides of matches with a triple/quadruple giving their team a huge surge of momentum. You can be a hero if you want, of all the things that have changed from D1, that isn't one of them.

Honest question - if you don't like supers, fantastical grenades and sniper rifles then why are you playing Destiny? Being superpowered and having different unrealistic tools besides bullets at your disposal is what sets it apart. That's exactly why a lot of us play it. We all want to be superheroes and use and see weird shit that we don't see in other games.

If you just want to shoot boring handguns and scout rifles all day with your team then there are other more realistic games that do that.

I like most of those things, but assuming I didn't, I'd still say that Destiny is more fun and interesting than any realistic shooter on the market, even without supers and special grenades.

I think they struggled so much with big maps in D1 that they're just saying screw it and not doing them. 4v4 is the law now. The best we can hope for is 6v6 and some medium sized maps in like a year or two as a bullet point for one of the expansions that they can advertise.

Van Bur3n

I welcome the changes to PVP. Less of the BS from the first game and it plays more like Halo.

Unfortunately these changes do not bode well for PVE.

Drencrom

I have never seen a MP to a big shooter being so unambitious. Lowering playercount from 6v6 to 4v4, making grenades and supers more scarce, still having small and static arena maps and 30fps while the competition (Battlefield, CoD, Titanfall, Battlefront, Overwatch etc) has bigger and more dynamic maps with more players while running at 60fps on consoles.

I thought it was just as fun as D1 pvp, except people weren't always running around with shotguns so it comes out miles ahead in overall enjoyment. I'm sure that when we have armor with actual cooldown related traits, supers will come more than once a match. I'd also be fairly shocked if we didn't see Mayhem return, maybe not at launch but some time in the near future.

Yep, it honestly felt the same to me, except there weren't players on the edge of the map camping out with snipers every time. People were actually engaging and fighting in close quarter battles. It was kinda nice.

There definitely need to be some tweaks made but I enjoyed what I played.

it's not fun because of
a) guns feel less Bungie, guns feel less Destiny 1, guns feel generic just like another generic shooter

b) ability cooldowns slowed down to the point that it barely makes no difference which subclass you are running with because you barely ever get to see your grenades or melee get into effect

c) if you smoke the other team, the match will end ever before your Super Meter ever fills up.
If your team gets smoked, the match will end ever before your Super Meter ever fills ups.

d) and if you get lucky enough to ever get your Meter filled up, it will be at the last 30 seconds of the game when it is too late to turn the tide.

----------

What made Destiny 1 great was the Bungie feel + abilities that defined your SubClass's style of play. + the customazibiltiy of the SubClass to your liking.

D2 forces you down either 2 paths with per Subclass with only Grenades and Jump to change around. Kind of lame.
-------

In D1, Fun Was Allowed.

in D2, Fun is Not Allowed. (it's just another generic shooter now)

Bungie made a big mistake to cater to E-Sports crowd who just want GunPlay and water down abilities. If you want a generic shooter, than buy something else, don't ruin Destiny

I loved 6v6 and I hate 4v4, so that's the thing that kills it for me. Maybe if they make some changes I'll pick up the game down the road.
I loved 6v6 more than 4x4. More fun

Raven117

I am far from a pvp aficianado, but I played my share with D1 (usually Iron Banner).

I like the changes, as I really hated the sliding shotgun, super, grenade fest. I never quite caught on it, and I was always frustrated.

I enjoyed this style of pvp much more, but I can see how its not as "fun" for some folks.

That said, i like Rainbow Six Siege, so Im all about the slower more tactical approaches.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm enjoying my time with the Destiny 2 PvP a lot more than I have with the recent Cricible sandbox in D1. The new weapon system allows me to be able to always have a weapon I can use at different ranges and in different types of encounters, the map design is much more focused with lots of flanking routes, longer TTK rewards me for being able to aim under fire, and the lower player count/longer cooldowns makes it feel like I'm actually able to contribute instead of just getting wrecked immediately.

I do agree that the ability cooldowns, especially supers, are too long but of they adjust that then it should be a much better experience than D1's Crucible was.

They made it slow and lost what made Destiny fun.

But hey, it's not like they can't see tons of posts on Reddit, GAF, Internet in general and even the Press have jumped on to it.

Got some evidence or numbers on this? All these people saying its too slow to kill someone might need to just aim better or get good, it literally takes exactly as long to kill someone as in D1, but overall just more focused on shooting.

it's not fun because of
a) guns feel less Bungie, guns feel less Destiny 1, guns feel generic just like another generic shooter

b) ability cooldowns slowed down to the point that it barely makes no difference which subclass you are running with because you barely ever get to see your grenades or melee get into effect

c) if you smoke the other team, the match will end ever before your Super Meter ever fills up.
If your team gets smoked, the match will end ever before your Super Meter ever fills ups.

d) and if you get lucky enough to ever get your Meter filled up, it will be at the last 30 seconds of the game when it is too late to turn the tide.

----------

What made Destiny 1 great was the Bungie feel + abilities that defined your SubClass's style of play. + the customazibiltiy of the SubClass to your liking.

D2 forces you down either 2 paths with per Subclass with only Grenades and Jump to change around. Kind of lame.
-------

In D1, Fun Was Allowed.

in D2, Fun is Not Allowed. (it's just another generic shooter now)

Bungie made a big mistake to cater to E-Sports crowd who just want GunPlay and water down abilities. If you want a generic shooter, than buy something else, don't ruin Destiny

I loved 6v6 more than 4x4. More fun

Yawn, it's a beta. You literally have only one exotic gun.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Got some evidence or numbers on this? All these people saying its too slow to kill someone might need to just aim better or get good, it literally takes exactly as long to kill someone as in D1, but overall just more focused on shooting.

Weapons in PvP straight up do less damage than in D1. Handcannons are 4 shot kills instead of 3.

Steel

Banned
Didn't even touch the PvP. 4v4 lol. Even Counterstrike in 1999 had more players.

Also because 4v4 is a fucking dumb decision, we never asked for this.

Want to hop into PvP with your raid group?
Bungie:
nelson_ha_ha.jpg

On the one hand I know why they paired it down to 4; 6 people getting supers and giving off orbs of light while murdering another 6 people would always cause a chain reaction of supers that would just be broken as fuck.

On the other hand, lol at not being to have 4 people in strikes/story missions and so having to go to pvp which only allows one more person. For an mmo-lite, they really don't want you to play with a big group.

Not to mention the 6 person D1 pvp games were pretty fun until a wave of supers fucked everything up.

V1ctIm

Neo Member
I'm going to hold off on judging it too much yet. We'll have more guns and better armor in the full game, more maps, more everything really, so it's too early to say whether or not it will actually be less fun. I'm extremely excited to dive in come September!

Daeoc

I mean, I had enough of the game just after playing the beta of the first one . . Had high hopes for the sequel, though.

Blueblur1

I like them in both PVP and PVE, but spamming them in Mayhem with 0 skills It isn't fun to me.

Your post said "Super and grenades spam fest/Mayhem".

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you were equating regular D1 PvP with Mayhem which is a hyperbolic stretch. Nobody is asking for Mayhem; people just want to access their abilities as regularly as they did in D1 and with roughly the same D1 TTK. Solo queuing is a not fun for people right now.

Top Bottom