• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny's raids will not support online matchmaking with random players.

Karl Hawk

Banned
So Destiny's true end-game will be having to find several hours of uninterrupted free time.

...and unbalanced PvP.

Eh - sounds like every other sub-based MMORPG out there.

Of course, everyone keeps telling me Destiny is not a MMO.

....right. it WANTS to be an MMORPG. It just can't figure out how to do it yet.

Hopefully Activision-Blizzard steps in and shows Bungie the joy of Matchmaking for Dungeons and Raids.

Console gamers are a casual/mainstream bunch for the MOST part. It's mostly about pick-up and play gaming. Trying to transfer the more hardcore PC MMORPG crowd over to a console, with limited Social/UI options is a recipe for disaster.

Matchmaking must happen, for all co-op modes, or this will flop hard.

You do know Strikes has matchmaking, right? The idea that Raids, a one fucking mode doesn't have matchmaking will make the game bomb hard is delusional.

Zakalwe

Banned
The majority of public raids seem to end up a huge mess.

Sometimes, though, you might be feeling particularly masochistic, or perhaps just a little curious, and jumping into a public raid is exactly the kind of experience you're looking for (god help you!).

Some people aren't very social, they find it awkward, and the anonymity of public matchmaking suits them. They realise the lack of communication will hinder their game, and they accept that. Their preferences are set.

Also, on rare occasions, public raids manage to work. Usually through sheer persistence, and often with a little luck, these rare occurrences can be an experience unlike any other.

Also, sometimes you just want to try the content for fun and you can't find enough members to play during your busy schedule.

Maybe not a matchmaking system like Strikes where you go in entirely blind, but what about some kind of party system where a poster creates a group and others search for groups to join? The poster could select flags such as "anyone" or "experienced only", or even "mic required" and have the game enable mic like in a private fireteam, etc... A simplified version of the party systems we find in MMORPGs.

Not allowing it outside of private parties seems like a massive mistake to me.

Serick

Married Member
edit: Your whole spiel about LFR being required for heroics is such BS. There's two tiers between LFR and Heroic that both provide superior upgrades. No one directly jumped into hard mode ever since Ulduar without some normal gear. I'm starting to doubt you ever even raided normal at this point. Even before hard mode in TBC you would need to collect mats to craft epics and resistance gear which usually consists of farming bosses over and over before you could proceed to the final boss.

I'm not saying LFR is required for Heroic raiding. I said that it is an expectation placed on you by the raiding community. Before I took a break to play WildStar I raided with Standard Deviation on Blackrock right up until the release of W*.

Please at least address what I actually say in my post before you call me out as a liar.

Here is my battle.net profile with my most recent raid kills:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/blackrock/Scerick/simple

And yes, I was "spoken to" about my lack of LFR kills (aka "effort") in SoO.

There's not an ounce of truth. While I played the beta, Nova Bomb was a great asset during the strike as a Warlock. And that's only the first subclass. Imagine what the second subclasses will be in the final game.

If the only thing you do in Destiny is shooting, I don't know how can you even complete a strike.

So you believe that the special abilities are so essential that people can't beat a strike without using them. The specials just make taking the boss down a bit faster or help to clear a room a bit faster. They are in no way essential to completing a strike.

Ark

This sucks tbh. They could easily have a matchmaking system that has a very visible warning that says 'this raid will take several hours, don't be a dick'.

Oh well.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Go play games with raids with random people and then come back and tell me if you still think that. :p

Did EQ raids with randoms. Did WoW raids with randoms. Sometimes it was fun and other times it was not. The idea that random raids can't work and are never fun is just flat out wrong in my experience.

So you can do High Level Strikes and Nightfall missions with Matchmaking and be having a wonderful time working up your gear so you can finally raid and then oops! You don't have friends. No pinnacle of the content for you.

Luke says in the interview that Nightfall missions award "extremely exotic gear" so it sounds at least, like an alternate way to gear.

It's hard to say specifically if Nightfall gear is only to get you to a starting point for the Raids or if it can gear you equally to the Raids. But he certainly suggests that the gear acquired from that activity is nothing to shake a stick at.

So if only one mode doesn't have matchmaking the game will flop
That's like saying in a Mario game if every world doesn't have a secret level it will flop IMO

Actually, it's not like saying that.

Mario games don't have 6-player co-op Raids requiring multiple hours of availability.

Flipyap

Well Bungie's attempt at solving this is in the redesign of Bungie.net and the use of the Mobile Apps. It's pretty awkward since it's an outside source but I can't think of a non-awkward way to implement it in game on a console. It also makes it easier for them to moderate the interactions.
A way to see your clan roster from inside the game and simply choosing a game mode that would be displayed next to your name the way so many online games display "LFG" would be a great start.

ryan299

Can't wait until 3 or 4 months after launch when DGAF numbers have fallen, will be fun watching them complain they can't get 6 players together for a raid.

Totally. I see matchmaking being added when a huge number of players complain that they can't play the mode.

1 class throws a grenade and another class jumps in the air and throws a grenade.

Seems similar to me.
Striker- Melee Explosion OF DEATH
Defender- Giant purple shield thingy
Gunslinger- "There is no armor" gun of awesome
Bladedancer- Like the Striker's only with blades and invisibility
Voidwalker- Giant purple ball of death
Sunsinger- All the buffs
Different or no?
Actually, it's not like saying that.

Mario games don't have 6-player co-op Raids requiring multiple hours of availability.
I think this would be more of an Issue if Raids didn't start at level 25, which is endgame as getout

DNAbro

This sounds like Halo 3's abhorrent restrictions on matchmaking in co-op. Fuck off with this shit Bungie, I don't always have 4 friends willing to jump into a match on a map that I want to play.

fb8355b541fb779de4216f4d953b1429e68f8c2_r.gif

Well it is a multiple hour dungeon. By nature it's not jump in friendly.

This is so stupid, especially the people trying to defend the no matchmaking thing.

Do you not realize that standing around the Tower asking RANDOM PEOPLE to join up for a strike is the exact same thing as having matchmaking do it for you.

Me going on the gaf clan list to find five RANDOM PEOPLE to play with is the exact same thing as having matchmaking do it for you.

Having a system where you see lobbies open to join on strikes is the same as random matchmaking.

There is absolutely no difference between setting up a team of random people before going into a raid and having matchmaking do it for you. It just takes more time and effort for you to do it on your own.

A way to see your clan roster from inside the game and simply choosing a game mode that would be displayed next to your name the way so many online games display "LFG" would be a great start.

The game definitely needs an in-game clan list of any sort. The UI is already in the Roster.

So you believe that the special abilities are so essential that people can't beat a strike without using them. The specials just make taking the boss down a bit faster or help to clear a room a bit faster. They are in no way essential to completing a strike.
Maybe the special abilities available in the beta, but if you looked through there were a ton of different, super important looking specials later down the leveling line

Xater

1 class throws a grenade and another class jumps in the air and throws a grenade.

Seems similar to me.

Except the Titan for example has a subclass that can create a shield and the Warlock has one that turn him into a support class. Shit like that has to be coordinated in difficult missions. So please stop throwing around your half knowledge.

I agree that access to the clan roster would be nothing but a boon but I was referring more to the idea of gathering currently unknown people to manually group for a Raid.

Crosseyes

Banned
Well that is a massive turn off.

No matchmaking, and multiple hours for a single event.

That's about as unfriendly to your average FPS'er as it gets.
Raid content will be designed to be uncompletable to your average FPS'er.

I think their line of thinking would be if they allowed randoms to match up from matchmaking it would only harbor a hostile community when a large majority of players wouldnt be able to complete it. You can laugh it off or at least be more likely to be courteous and enjoy it with friends and organized parties at least. Randoms would harbor a more likely toxic interaction to failure. Which will happen most, probably all of time for some.

Can't wait until 3 or 4 months after launch when DGAF numbers have fallen, will be fun watching them complain they can't get 6 players together for a raid.

And then 3 to 4 months after that, when Bungie announces that Destiny 2 will have matchmaking "because all of the fans demanded it!"...just like Halo Reach.

Karl Hawk

Banned

Seems similar to me.

Titan has a subclass that creates a protective bubble shield and Warlock has one that buffs everyone and revive them if they're dead.

Clearly you didn't pay much attention to what the subclasses will offer.

Pop

Good. This is for the best.

If it truly will take hours and things that require you to do stuff that's not normal in a fps then random people will just quit on you. Can't wait till I can earn all that epic loot.

Maybe the special abilities available in the beta, but if you looked through there were a ton of different, super important looking specials later down the leveling line

Karl was making it sound like you couldn't get through a strike by just shooting and not using any abilities which isn't true. They may be more critical in a raid but judging from the beta (I know, I know) you can get by just fine with your guns.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Really disappointing, especially for a game that touts social interaction at its core. Even more so when in-game chat is limited and there are only 4 generic emotes.

Actual, complex/difficult team based games like Dota and LoL don't require full teams. No excuse here.

t0rment

Raid content will be designed to be uncompletable to your average FPS'er.

I think their line of thinking would be if they allowed randoms to match up from matchmaking it would only harbor a hostile community when a large majority of players wouldnt be able to complete it. You can laugh it off or at least be more likely to be courteous and enjoy it with friends and organized parties at least. Randoms would harbor a more likely toxic interaction to failure. Which will happen most, probably all of time for some.

i'd rather not be able to complete the raid to not be able to play it.

Bessy67

This is exactly how it should be, and bodes well for how good the raids might end up being. The last thing we need is more lowest common denominator content that can be finished by several random silent people.
But why do you care about how the random silent people would fare? You would never have to enter matchmaking if they made it an option.

Salvatron

Sorry, but why don't just give the option?

Getting a couple of friends up online at the same time is already a pain in the ass :(

I agree. Or at least provide some kind of L4G emote option in the tower. Alternatively, I guess people could 'scout' other players via the Inspect option to see if they meet a certain need for the group.

If Fireteams are limitied to 3 players, does this mean raids consist of 2 fireteams? or is it a squad of 6?

Either way, I can't wait to get back into the game. I'm envisioning six legendary autorifles focusing on one point. Brrraap! Brrraaap!

Xater

Karl was making it sound like you couldn't get through a strike by just shooting and not using any abilities which isn't true. They may be more critical in a raid but judging from the beta (I know, I know) you can get by just fine with your guns.

Yes, but we didn't get to try a raid in the alpha or beta did we?

Two Words

This is so stupid, especially the people trying to defend the no matchmaking thing.

Do you not realize that standing around the Tower asking RANDOM PEOPLE to join up for a strike is the exact same thing as having matchmaking do it for you.

Me going on the gaf clan list to find five RANDOM PEOPLE to play with is the exact same thing as having matchmaking do it for you.

Having a system where you see lobbies open to join on strikes is the same as random matchmaking.

There is absolutely no difference between setting up a team of random people before going into a raid and having matchmaking do it for you. It just takes more time and effort for you to do it on your own.
Exactly. It's like people think that people will select matchmaking on Raids without understanding what they are. People aren't going to go into a public raid with the intention to leave in 15 minutes or something.

BigDug13

Let me just say this:

I have NEVER been in a successful pick-up group raid in Borderlands 2, and I played that game a lot. Every single non-friend pick-up raid ended in death for me. Others may have a different experience, but without friends, I have never had success. And ultimately, it felt like a waste of time and player-cash as you're stripped of 10% of it each death.

Slayven

There's not an ounce of truth. While I played the beta, Nova Bomb was a great asset during the strike as a Warlock. And that's only the first subclass. Imagine what the second subclasses will be in the final game.

If the only thing you do in Destiny is shooting, I don't know how can you even complete a strike.

A grenade and a super grenade on long ass timers are nothing compared to juggling charms, twisting as a bard, healing, drawing and maintaining aggro, etc.

Karl Hawk

Banned

My bad. I should have said something like ''How the hell you played the game without using a super every once in a while''.

And then 3 to 4 months after that, when Bungie announces that Destiny 2 will have matchmaking "because all of the fans demanded it!"...just like Halo Reach.

To be fair, Luke acknowledges that the way they're currently implementing Raids is a risk and may not go over well with all players.

From the article:
Still, it’s clear that raids are what are nearest and dearest to Smith’s heart when it comes to Destiny’s post-campaign content. But even he acknowledges that they might not please all players. “Raids are a really big bet for us,” he explains. “It's a bit of a risk. Because the activity requires you to have a group of five other friends to play with.”

mcfrank

I think anyone complaining about this doesn't have a ton of experience at Raiding in MMOs (I know Destiny is not an MMO blah blah blah, raids are an MMO concept)

A few points:

1.) There are very few things as satisfying in gaming as defeating a Raid with your friends that is extremely challenging and requires everyone performing at the top of their game to succeed. I was not in a top tier WoW, but I was able to do Onyxia +2 and half of ICC hard bosses when they were new content and it is some of my fondest gaming memories.

2.) As WoW has made raiding easier and easier to accommodate people who want to play with randoms a few things has happened. Raiding became way less fun. Communities on servers were hurt because people were not looking for groups in chat any more. WoW became a much less interesting and satisfying game to play.

I am very glad Bungie is starting with the mindset of WoW around the ned Wrath of the Lich King (peak WoW IMO). You can do all of the endgame except Raids with a matchmade group and the content is tuned for that, but the hardest challenges require coordination and teamwork at a level that a matchmade group would not be successful. This is the perfect balance.

Yes, but we didn't get to try a raid in the alpha or beta did we?

Seriously? I know. That isn't what the post was talking about. It was about Karl's remarks regarding him not knowing how someone can even get through a strike by just shooting. Jeez

My bad. I should have said something like ''How the hell you played the game without using a super every once in a while''.

That would have probably been a better way to put it. Everyone has messed around with their abilities and why wouldn't you but it doesn't mean that players have to use them pre raid game.

Top Bottom