• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny's raids will not support online matchmaking with random players.

Xater

Well, that probably just killed any intention I had to buy this game later tbh.

I dont have a single personal friend that have a Xone or PS4, and those who intend to buy dont play the same games as I play usually, and probably some lf them cant even play at the same hours that I can. Also, even with GAF I cant see myself waiting an entire organized group formation to try a more then a hour mission. That seems TOO MUCH time dedication for a single match.

I guess this game is just not for me. I will accept that now.

You clearly misunderstand what is going on here. Most most are for 3 players max and don#t take this long. This is just for the raid content.

JCizzle

If you truly believe that LFR hasn't diminished the sense of accomplishment in WoW raiding compared to a pre-LFR raiding environment I don't believe you've actually participated in heroic raiding for any serious length of time.

It has nothing to do with other players completing the content... I'm speaking about your own sense of accomplishment. You go in and clear SoO lfr and it diminishes the sense of excitement and accomplishment of normal/heroic. And before you say, then don't play LFR - it's not always that simple.... and I can elaborate if you wish.

It is that simple. Because you and your group can't resist every minor upgrade to make heroic content easier, then all the other people who use LFR don't deserve the content that consists of the majority of dev time that everyone pays for. It all needs to be saved for the 5-10% who need to feel a sense of accomplishment. 75-80% of dev time for such a small player base simply doesn't make sense and I think we'll see that play out here over time too if the ratios are similar.

BigDug13

You do get mic chat with a group that you join in this way.

PvP and Strike matchmaking put you into groups that lack voice chat, but actual fireteams always have it.

So what, you would just start randomly clicking people to join your fireteam, then ask each of them if they were wanting to do a multi-hour raid and that nobody could leave in the middle of it or else you fail? There's currently no way to filter people "LFG" and having them be able to set a tag for themselves like "LFG Raid", "LFG Strike", "LFG Story", "LFG explore", etc.

You do get mic chat with a group that you join in this way.

PvP and Strike matchmaking put you into groups that lack voice chat, but actual fireteams always have it.

That's not what I was talking about. I was responding to a question about organising a group in the tower but there is no way for people to communicate in the tower unless you're in a fireteam already. It's ok to have mic chat once you've joined a group but how do you get this group together in the first place?

Wait wait wait
If these Raids are Endgame, say level 20
Why would it be so fucking impossible to go to the Tower and just look for level 20s
First only 5 content areas and now this. I just cancelled my preorder. Again.
Why? Do you even know how many GAFers will just throw themselves at you if you need friends to play with?

Interesting decision.

Not that I would actually want to team with randoms for something that requires a lot of time to complete anyway.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know much about raids or MMOS, but it does seem odd that they won't allow matchmaking. I get that it is supposed to be super hard and require co-ordination but it also seems like they should allow randoms together as an option.

CornDogg

On the fence here.

It kind of makes sense, on one hand.

On the other, by simply allowing voice chat with the other people in your group, it could probably work out.

In one swoop, i've lost all interest in playing Destiny. I only know one other person that will potentially own this on the same console i would have had it on. Which in turn locks me out of game content.

Crosseyes

Banned
I don't get this, other MMOs has classes with defined roles and skillsets. Destiny everyone just shoots.
I would guess we could see some mmo fight mechanics though. Stuff like a dps race to a weak point or add that if failed wipes everyone would be pretty foreign concept to a shooter as just one example.

To be honest this topic title and focus on one specific paragraph is a bit of a terrible way to introduce this news because it leaves out a LOT of relevant info that's in the article and we all know a ton of people won't click the link and read it.

What would be wrong with having a lower difficulty with lower rewards for people that would like to see this content but are unable to have a dedicated group?

They have that in Nightfall missions and High Level Strikes. It's mentioned in the article.

For everyone mentioning that the time commitment would just make it unfeasible, and the lack of communication wouldn't help - has anyone here played DOTA? Because, for one, I doubt these raids will take multiple hours.

And second, I've had some great hour-long or more games on DOTA with 4 randoms who don't say a damned thing. It's not the norm, but it shows it's possible. I see no reason to limit choice when it comes to match making.

If people have a shitty experience, they won't pick the mode again. Simple. But they might have a great one. Why not give them that chance?

Bungie has said they invited a top clan to test the Raid. They spent a total of 16 hours on it (not likely consecutive hours) and still failed to clear it. It safe to say it's going to take a long time.

Limiting this to friends is a noble(ish) idea, too bad their social features are so rudimentary that matchmaking would actually be a more reliable way of finding people willing to endure this mode.
With no way to communicate with your clan from inside the game, you'll have to keep inviting people from your friends list at random, hoping that 5 of them will happen to be willing to spend the supposed 4-16+ hours in a single mode and didn't just sign in for a quick match in the Crucible.
This sounds like a design choice that only works in an isolated game development environment and would completely fall apart in a real world scenario.

Well Bungie's attempt at solving this is in the redesign of Bungie.net and the use of the Mobile Apps. It's pretty awkward since it's an outside source but I can't think of a non-awkward way to implement it in game on a console. It also makes it easier for them to moderate the interactions.

Is this just a multiplayer mode (raids)? Will be other multiplayer modes that will let you play on random teams?

I have friends and even sometimes to join for a TLOU matches is dificult so we usually play with a random player on our team.

If you can only form teams with friends on multiplayer I will cancel my white preorder

There are indeed other MP modes that allow for matchmaking, including high level MP modes. Afaik only Raids are limited to manually maid groups.

ultron87

Wait wait wait
Why would it be so fucking impossible to go to the Tower and just look for level 20s

At that point you are just getting some random 15 person cross section of the player base based on your Tower instance.

You guys do realize that if you join one of the multiple destiny gaf groups/clans you'll be able to make plenty of friends plus have clan members to invite right?

This shouldn't be an issue for gaf people don't make it one. The option would be nice but "pre order cancelled" knee jerk reactions are a bit much.

DNAbro

Wait wait wait

Why? Do you even know how many GAFers will just throw themselves at you if you need friends to play with?

Did you read the article? They start out at level 25 and progressively get harder.

PooBone

You clearly misunderstand what is going on here. Most most are for 3 players max and don#t take this long. This is just for the raid content.

If you're like me and don't care about PvP, it's been a bad week for Destiny.

Raid content most likely excluded bc of party size constraints, etc. Only 6-ish areas to play over and over again.

I'm really hoping it's a lot of hyperbole and the game comes out and is massive. I have a bad feeling though. Bungie's my all-time favorite developer. I hope I'm wrong.

Bessy67

Wait wait wait
Yeah, but if you're just going to play with randoms anyways it would be so much easier to just have a matchmaking system rather than having to wait around in the tower hoping for someone to invite you.

You guys do realize that if you join one of the multiple destiny gaf groups/clans you'll be able to make plenty of friends plus have clan members to invite right?

This shouldn't be an issue for gaf people don't make it one. The option would be nice but "pre order cancelled" knee jerk reactions are a bit much.
I played the hell out of Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. I found many of my games through the ME3 community on gamefaqs, and set up a lot of games on that forum. However it was still nice to have the option to be matched up with randoms if I didn't feel like setting up a game on the forum or if no one else wanted to play.

Slayven

I would guess we could see some mmo fight mechanics though. Stuff like a dps race to a weak point or add that if failed wipes everyone would be pretty foreign concept to a shooter as just one example.
FPS already does that and it is called a horde mode. Silly stance I hope they reverse.

Niven

So we shouldn't care about what we see as a bad choice if it doesn't affect us personal ?

Xater

Sure I'll probably be able to find a group but I want the option out of principle. I don't like being told what is or isn#t a good idea here.

If you're like me and don't care about PvP, it's been a bad week for Destiny.

Raid content most likely excluded bc of party size constraints, etc. Only 6-ish areas to play over and over again.

I'm really hoping it's a lot of hyperbole and the game comes out and is massive. I have a bad feeling though. Bungie's my all-time favorite developer. I hope I'm wrong.

I mostly care about PVE and have zero concerns. The areas seem big enough and there will at least be strikes as well.

mcfrank

I don't get how people can say this is good, okay you may not want it so don't use it but surely it's a good thing for the people who don't have the friends

The point of doing this is that it is too hard for a non coordinated group. Getting matched with 5 other people who do not have headsets and so you have no chance of completing even a small percentage of the content is not fun.

Well this is pretty shit, why not just give us the option?

Because without the option they can make the game harder.

Matchmade raids in WoW are NOT fun or challenging.

zvD3g.gif

Flipyap

Wait wait wait
Because you'd have to invite dozens of people at random (with only up to 16 of them fitting inside a tower instance) before you find 5 of them willing to do a raid at that specific moment in time. A player's level tells you absolutely nothing about the kind of activity they're interested in, or about their skill level.

Recall

The point of doing this is that it is too hard for a non coordinated group. Getting matched with 5 other people who do not have headsets and so you have no chance of completing even a small percentage of the content is not fun.

Why can't both co-exist?

Wait wait wait

Raids start at level 25. To reach levels past 20, you have to equip gear that has the Light stat on it. To get that gear you have to play high level strikes and Nightfall missions to get them either through drops or special currency accrued over time.

It's all in the article http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/30/destiny-the-endgame-is-only-the-beginning-ign-first

ultron87

In that past I've found that unless I'm super involved in a GAF community and post there all the time most "hey! I need people!" requests don't actually go that well.

That would be cool if an area organically formed in the citadel where people would wait around to be grouped up if they wanted to run a raid with randoms. Assuming "friends" means people in your fire team

Having content on a disc I can't access because I only have 1 other friend who will be playing Destiny and not the required 5 is a huge put off.
I didn't even quote you
Though, again, ALL THE GAF PEOPLE WILL PLAY WITH YOU
Raids start at level 25. To reach levels past 20, you have to equip gear that has the Light stat on it. To get that gear you have to play high level strikes and Nightfall missions to get them either through drops or special currency accrued over time.

It's all in the article http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/30/destiny-the-endgame-is-only-the-beginning-ign-first
Brain died a bit

tjohn86

Actually only PVP really has match-making. Other people are kind of there in PvE but it's debatable whether you're "playing with them", and they're not able to enter the boss room with your fireteam.

Strikes have it as well. I'd like to see it in the story and raids especially.

Serick

Married Member
It is that simple. Because you and your group can't resist every minor upgrade to make heroic content easier, then all the other people who use LFR don't deserve the content that consists of the majority of dev time that everyone pays for. It all needs to be saved for the 5-10% who need to feel a sense of accomplishment.

It's not really that "me and my group can't resist every minor upgrade". Most guilds that are interested (if not all) in heroic raiding content that aren't bleeding edge top world ranked guilds expect all of their players to be actively acquiring any and all upgrades available to them.

When you combine this with the fact that tier set bonuses and trinkets are often rotation/build changers you find yourself in a situation where you're expected to run LFR until you have said trinkets/tier pieces to fill out the gaps you're missing from normal/heroic. The simple fact is most guilds do not have the number of highly skilled players required to go in and kill heroic bosses without every single gear advantage available to them in the game.

This, imho, has caused a raiding environment in WoW where LFR raiding becomes mandatory for progression focused guilds. Even Blizzard sees this as a trending problem which is why they're removing tier pieces and trinkets from LFR all together.

I personally don't like the raiding environment that has been fostered by the current raiding system and look forward to Warlords systems. But again, if I don't want to join one of the bleeding edge guilds regardless of the reason "not playing LFR" isn't exactly that easy/simple of a solution (obviously until Warlords).

So yes - LFR has damaged the sense of accomplishment that raiding used to hold for me in WoW. I'm not saying that difficulty shouldn't exist - I'm saying the current implementation is poor. I'm also not arguing against matchmaking for Destiny raids - I think they should have it - I just think they should have it without lowering the difficulty.

Thank you for that insightful reply.

Care to elaborate?

I was referring to LFR. How does this relate to my statement in any way what so ever? If anything this just further proves my point. Less people go for the heroic encounter because why bother? A few more ilvl points? You've already seen the content.

Direct quote:

"The simple fact that raid content can be slept through in WoW while you drool on your keyboard has completely destroyed the sense of accomplishment that raiding used to carry"

It sounds like you're trying to make two arguments at once.

The first one is that there is no accomplishment in raiding (yes this vague term includes flex, normal, heroic, otherwise STATE IT). Which is statistically false, the challenge is there, very few people actually down the final boss in heroic encounters. You will not "sleep" during heroic garrosh.

The second is there's less incentive is purely based on your motivation. If it's gear, then yeah LFR adds less incentive, but why should this matter if you want the best of the best. If it's accomplishment/challenge, see response 1.

edit: Your whole spiel about LFR being required for heroics is such BS. There's two tiers between LFR and Heroic that both provide superior upgrades. No one directly jumped into hard mode ever since Ulduar without some normal gear. I'm starting to doubt you ever even raided normal at this point. Even before hard mode in TBC you would need to collect mats to craft epics and resistance gear which usually consists of farming bosses over and over before you could proceed to the final boss.

So we shouldn't care about what we see as a bad choice if it doesn't affect us personal ?
You can care. But reading typical "pre order cancelled" stuff over stuff like this when at least for you it shouldn't affect you. Bungie has been listening to loads of feedback during the beta. People will be mentioning by the droves to need to cancel a pre order so willy nilly.
Sure I'll probably be able to find a group but I want the option out of principle. I don't like being told what is or isn#t a good idea here.
Mention it to them. I'm sure plenty of others are.

Lone wolf here. I was on the fence about Destiny, I'm not now. I know that there are players out there that I can play with, but I just prefer not to be forced into it and trying to organize a group of people to play with together.

Strikes have it as well. I'd like to see it in the story and raids especially.

Strikes, PvP, and The Tower all have matchmaking. Technically explore has matchmaking as you move from one area to the other and Events match-make players from across several instances of the same area as well.

So you were going to buy Destiny only for the Raids?

I was sitting on the fence about it.
Single player was alright. I didn't like the domination flag type multiplayer. When it comes to Multiplayer i'm more interested in a Co-op /non competitive experience. Locking me out of a cool looking cooperative game mode, was the last thing i needed to make my choice.
Hopefully before release bungie changes their stance and allows for random groups to play this mode.

Kssio_Aug

I see. Yeah maybe on a GAF clan that would not be so tough to make a group. However, matchmaking should be there as an option anyway to make things easier. As long as people repeat them, even failing, they learn what to do and Im sure that a random group could accomplish them.

Also, Im not sure how those Raids are, but if it is like a dungeon on a MMORPG, then thats a pretty important parcel of the game to just be ignored.

Top Bottom