• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny's raids will not support online matchmaking with random players.

Rockyrock

If you're on GAF this is not a problem for you.
Randoms are randoms.

What's the difference between clicking 1 matchmaking button vs coming onto a forum and looking for a group of 5 people?

difference is 1 takes a lot longer and its no guarantee that you get better teammates.

Orayn

I think this decision is for the best. On a side note, Raids take hours to complete? Nice.

Which is exactly why this is isn't a bad decision. With that kind of time commitment and the promised difficulty, the benefits of a matchmaking option are quickly outweighed by how often it would completely fall apart. (Assuming it's an all-or-nothing deal, rather than being able to finish part of it and keep your progress.)

Hoo-doo

Banned
this game just keeps getting better huh. i don't like to depend on other's people schedule to play a game, therefore i won't play the raid, the thing that i was most looking forward to the game. gonna pass on this one now.

You were expecting to raid with randoms? Have you ever done raids in MMO's?

I very much doubt this is the thing that's going to sway your decision.

SerTapTap

Makes sense. Even Devil's Lair worked better when we were voice chatting. Interested in what a multiple hours long mission would entail.

It's amazing how much a simple "don't die, I'm respawning" improves stuff like that. If I was playing with a random with no voice chat instead of someone on voice chat they could have easily gotten themselves killed at the wrong time and ruined one or both boss fights. Can't imagine how pissed I'd be if that happened at the end of a 2 hour run.

Fuck that. Is that their way of having me try to sell this game to my friends for them? 90% of my list is Gaffer and they don't play any games.

this game just keeps getting better huh. i don't like to depend on other's people schedule to play a game, therefore i won't play the raid, the thing that i was most looking forward to the game. gonna pass on this one now.

so you are passing on the game because <10% of the content requires you to have friends to play?

every other activity can be done with matchmaking.

makes sense.

MrDaravon

Really my only problem with this is that because all of the other modes (except pvp) are limited to 3 people on a team, its already fragmented my friends group and we're playing on different systems partially for that reason. If everything could be done with a party of 6 it'd be easier to group up with my normal crew of friends :/.

Human_me

While I understand the decision and some what agree with it.

I do not approve of it.

Yeah sure I can use Destiny GAF but it is the inconvenience of it all.
Matchmaking is just sooo much easier.

Mindlog

DestinyGAF raids are gonna be the shit. Can't wait.

I've had randoms quit on me for damn strike missions, can't trust any random for a multiple hour raid.
One of my fastest runs on Devil's Lair hard was a two player operation.
HIc5EmR.jpg
Don't know what happened to the other player, but we tore it up hard. It's really one of the reasons I enjoy playing with randoms so much.

ultron87

Vanilla WoW instance took hours and required occasionally intricate strategies. Random groups got that shit done by going "LFG Scholomance" and text chat. At least give us the option. Even if random groups fail 97% of the time when the game first launches it should still be an option. The knowledge of how the raid works will slowly permeate the player base such that more and more people will eventually know what to do.

And it is a great way to meet new players and friend up which is something that Destiny doesn't seem to encourage much.

you guys that have nobody to play with. Do you have something against playing with DestinyGAF?

I am sure there will be threads with signups just add those people that night and go for it.

There is plenty to do in Destiny. Most of the game is designed around that "jump on and play" model. Raids are the exception.

^This. I requested to join DestinyGaf, and within a few hours was a member. There are tools for making friends here on this forum and on bungie.net. Trust me a LFR only weakens a games social community and shortens content.

Zomba13

If raids will take "multiple hours" (I bet they won't really) then they much be full of bullet sponge bosses.

iamjohn

DAE not have a couple of hours in one sitting to play a single raid mission? That's an awful lot of time to commit.

edit:
get comfortable for a couple hours.

Must be talking about how long it takes to invite someone to your game on PS4.

Pastry

Banned
This has to be in the works. I can't see them implementing in-game clans just so people can wear a tag.

If there is some sort of system where I can do a LFG within my clan and all clan/group members can see it then I'm okay. Otherwise this is bull.

DNAbro

Randoms are randoms.

What's the difference between clicking 1 matchmaking button vs coming onto a forum and looking for a group of 5 people?

difference is 1 takes a lot longer and its no guarantee that you get better teammates.

GAF is walled off. You aren't going to get a 10 year old kid yelling expletitives at you. Generally you are going to get sane people.

Sorry, but why don't just give the option?

Getting a couple of friends up online at the same time is already a pain in the ass :(
Yep.

And I'm really not seeing at all how a lack of matchmaking is a good thing. If you can easily run with a party of six than matchmaking doesn't hurt you one bit. But for those who can't matchmaking is essential.

Hoo-doo

Banned
While I understand the decision and some what agree with it.

I do not approve of it.

Yeah sure I can use Destiny GAF but it is the inconvenience of it all.
Matchmaking is just sooo much easier.

You don't seem to understand that this isn't going to be a mindless romp, blasting through waves and waves of enemies barely paying attention. Because all of that stuff will have matchmaking built right in.

Raids are supposed to be extremely challenging and I doubt you'll even get to the first boss encounter with an unorganized bunch of randoms.

Luckily it's just a small part of the overall package.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Essentially locking off portions of the game from people not hardcore nerdy enough to have 'guilds' in an online shooter whose only in-game hub interaction is robot dancing.

Bungie have flubbed this poorly thought out mish mash of WoW and Halo every step up the design ladder.

If they fix/expand the social system, then I'm OK with this. But based on the system in the beta, this seems like it's going to be a pain in the ass.

todd360

GAF is walled off. You aren't going to get a 10 year old kid yelling expletitives at you. Generally you are going to get sane people.

W-Wait... I thought we were all elementary school ages here? You mean to tell me that I'm the only 10 year old???

I'm 23 haha

Homeboyd

DAE not have a couple of hours in one sitting to play a single raid mission? That's an awful lot of time to commit.
It sounds like they're broken up into checkpoints or phases sort of. You complete phase 1, the easiest phase, take some time to regroup, adjust your gear etc... and can come back to finish the next phase later. Not 100% on that though.

I'm having flashbacks to Molten Core and Onyxia runs during vanilla WoW.

They mostly ended in group wipes. Lots and lots of wipes.

Those damn whelps...

That damn tank that couldn't hold aggro on anything because he wouldn't swap out his PvP gear...

Those 3 or 4 crucial players that always showed up an hour late, making everyone else stand around /dancing.

The one guy who wouldn't shut up on Ventrillo.

Dem ninja-looting Raid Leaders.

That awful DKP point system for "buying" loot.

Having to install ten 3rd party add-on programs just to see who's not doing enough DPS or Healing so they can be denied loot.

I hope they don't make any of those mistakes the old MMO's made.

Looks like i'll need to cozy up to DestinyGAF. I have 2 other friends, at best, who will be playing and neither of them will sit through a multi-hour raid with me.

Essentially locking off portions of the game from people not hardcore nerdy enough to have 'guilds' in an online shooter whose only in-game hub interaction is robot dancing.

Bungie have flubbed this poorly thought out mish mash of WoW and Halo every step up the design ladder.

totally.

I wish so hard I could join 5 strangers and play a mode that requires close communication and takes hours.

sounds fun.

Navy Bean

Yep.

And I'm really not seeing at all how a lack of matchmaking is a good thing. If you can easily run with a party of six than matchmaking doesn't hurt you one bit. But for those who can't matchmaking is essential.
I still remember surviving 50 waves in Gears Horde Mode with randoms. It was awesome, but of course we were communicating.

It sounds like they're broken up into checkpoints or phases sort of. You complete phase 1, the easiest phase, take some time to regroup, adjust your gear etc... and can come back to finish the next phase later. Not 100% on that though.

I hope so. I'm not peeing in a cup.

Top Bottom