• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny's raids will not support online matchmaking with random players.

DNAbro

Essentially locking off portions of the game from people not hardcore nerdy enough to have 'guilds' in an online shooter whose only in-game hub interaction is robot dancing.

Bungie have flubbed this poorly thought out mish mash of WoW and Halo every step up the design ladder.

You are missing the point. This is for the hardcore players. Bungie has already said this isn't for everyone.

Vitor711

Good. Randoms won't get this job done.

ODST firefight did it right.

No, ODST Firefight was broken at launch because of no Matchmaking. It was silly then and it's silly now.

I don't care if randoms are likely to drop out - I don't have a large friends list and searching out people on forums like NeoGaf shouldn't be something that I have to resort to in this day and age.

Give those of us with limited friends lists the option at least. People who search for Raid would probably be those who were willing to commit - otherwise they'd be matchmaking for other modes surely?

syko de4d

i would say its okay but no idea how you will organize it without raidplaner addons, teamspeak, Keyboard Chat, a own guild website/forum etc.

edit: and i dont know how hours of FPS raid will look. 30min shooting on the same target and jump out of some red areas?

RdN

I find this very disappointing. You'd think Bungie would've learned their lesson after ODST's Firefight lack of matchmaking...

Karl Hawk

Banned
Essentially locking off portions of the game from people not hardcore nerdy enough to have 'guilds' in an online shooter whose only in-game hub interaction is robot dancing.

Bungie have flubbed this poorly thought out mish mash of WoW and Halo every step up the design ladder.

I don't know why you say that when Bungie clearly said that Raids is not for everyone

Disappointing but I understand it. Definitely is a commitment that wouldn't work well with randoms if it's tuned to be difficult.

On a side note, does anyone know if you can be in 2 clans at once?

When I heard raid i thought it would be a lot more than 6 players....I thought they would be around 12-16

Also what's wrong with just having the option? Basically you can only do raids when you somehow manage to get all 6 people on at once which isn't the easiest thing to do these days with everyone having different schedules.

This is going to be the most unsocial, social game ever created.

This x1000

Why the fuck won't they include both? Have a private match with friends, a mixed one with randoms or just randoms? Sure it'll take coordination, but schedules make things difficult for busy gamers.

I'll agree with Rockyrock and say that this one of if not the most unsocial social game.

Sure, GAF has a great Destiny group and I'm sure BNet does too, but I would like the option to quickly jump into a game and coordinate on the fly with randoms.

GamerSoul

Welp, If I get into to this game more than I am anticipating, I just might have to join Destiny Gaf and weigh the entire team down. But remember: don't blame me, blame Bungie. :p

edit: if the strikes are still with randoms I'll be ok with that.

Orayn

I'm having flashbacks to Molten Core and Onyxia runs during vanilla WoW.

They mostly ended in group wipes. Lots and lots of wipes.

Those damn whelps...

That damn tank that couldn't hold aggro on anything because he wouldn't swap out his PvP gear...

Those 3 or 4 crucial players that always showed up an hour late, making everyone else stand around /dancing.

The one guy who wouldn't shut up on Ventrillo.

Dem ninja-looting Raid Leaders.

That awful DKP point system for "buying" loot.

I hope they don't make any of those mistakes the old MMO's made.

I think most of that has been addressed, for better or for worse.

• Player roles are generalized enough that you won't be completely screwed if someone's build isn't perfect.
  • A group of 6 players is easier to organize than 10+.
  • You can mute people.
  • Loot is individualized, as are the "DKP" equivalents.

Pastry

Banned
i would say its okay but no idea how you will organize it without raidplaner addons, teamspeak, Keyboard Chat, a own guild website/forum etc.

Exactly, people are saying they're okay with it but we're in GAF. What about the millions of people that play this game, are hardcore too, and don't have a centralized message board to organize their shit.

Homeboyd

No, ODST Firefight was broken at launch because of no Matchmaking. It was silly then and it's silly now.

I don't care if randoms are likely to drop out - I don't have a large friends list and searching out people on forums like NeoGaf shouldn't be something that I have to resort to in this day and age.

Give those of us with limited friends lists the option at least. People who search for Raid would probably be those who were willing to commit - otherwise they'd be matchmaking for other modes surely?
Ok but think about the vidmasters. Did you ever complete those? I think of this as something similar... in that case you had a pool of shared lives and had to make it a certain point in firefight to complete the challenge (which took a lot of coordination and effort on all parties). Attempting those with randoms who just burned up the lives would make it damn near impossible to complete.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Well, that spider tank boss at the end of the beta strike was definitely a bullet sponge.

If you actually communicated, the spider was a cakewalk.

"Target his right front leg"
*blat blat blat blat*
*spider goes down in 20 seconds, go to town on the vulnerable area on his back*

Rinse and repeat and you're done in minutes.

Now Sepiks Prime at the very end, yeah, that's a dumb bullet sponge that didn't really require any tactics.

Zomba13

Hmm, I guess with any Destiny news, some will be cynical about it.

Oh well, not that I care.

You obviously care as you respond to any criticisms of your beloved Desinty with dismissal.

And yeah, people will be cynical at this need to use your friends list and not letting you group up with others in your clan (who aren't on your friends list) or randoms who will want to beat this content just as much as you,

And the bosses in Destiny are bullet sponges and take ages to kill. Unless they've changed it from the Alpha and Beta I bet the release will be the same where it will take ages to beat the bosses unless you are over-geared.

amar212

Exactly, people are saying they're okay with it but we're in GAF. What about the millions of people that play this game, are hardcore too, and don't have a centralized message board to organize their shit.

Bungie.net will cover for everyone

Destiny App as well

Expect both of those to be significantly integrated and present in the game

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Totally lame. I wish games would stop trying to be like WoW(even though WoW has auto grouping for raids now) because you are not and never will be WoW. Ugh. I'm trying to like this game but Bungie really ain't making it easy.

You were expecting to raid with randoms? Have you ever done raids in MMO's?

I very much doubt this is the thing that's going to sway your decision.

They have multiple difficulties in WoW, destiny could implement a random pug raid option with not as good loot.

Having done LK in WoTLK, feel bad for those who couldn't experience the encounter, even at half it's difficult.

Rockyrock

GAF is walled off. You aren't going to get a 10 year old kid yelling expletitives at you. Generally you are going to get sane people.

so much more a of hassle just to get teammates that will be marginally more useful at best.

Going in with randoms and carrying is half the fun of gaming anyway.

at the end of the day no matter how you slice it there's nothing positive that comes from not at least allowing the option IMO.

The only reason its not for everyone is that Bungie isn't supporting matchmaking for it.

Or maybe because they want to make content that is more challenging for skilled players without having to worry about alienating those who end up with a .12 K/D spread every game in matchmaking.

Mindlog

I don't mind. I'd rather not play with randoms, and I have more than enough GAFfers in my friends list.
You wouldn't have to play with randoms even if matchmaking were there.
Or maybe because they want to make content that is more challenging for skilled players without having to worry about alienating those who end up with a .12 K/D spread every game in matchmaking.
They already alienate those players with unbroken bounties and the sort.
There is a 3 vs 3 invite only PVP arena. There could easily be a way to earn a coin or invite to raid grouping.

Pastry

Banned
Bungie.net will cover for everyone

Destiny App as well

Expect both of those to be significantly integrated and present in the game

I'm sorry but forcing people to go outside the game to get groups is absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary.

If you actually communicated, the spider was a cakewalk.

"Target his right front leg"
*blat blat blat blat*
*spider goes down in 20 seconds, go to town on the vulnerable area on his back*

Rinse and repeat and you're done in minutes.

Now Sepiks Prime at the very end, yeah, that's a dumb bullet sponge that didn't really require any tactics.

I communicated with my friend, but the third member of our group, a random, dropped out near the beginning of the spider tank boss fight. We were both high level with good gear, and we knew to target the legs, but it still seemed like it took a heckuva long time.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The only reason its not for everyone is that Bungie isn't supporting matchmaking for it.

Perhaps there's an actual reason for this, wouldn't you think?

They have matchmaking for the strikes. If it made sense they would have matchmaking on the raids too. It doesn't make sense, apparently.

They are not doing this to spite you.

ultron87

You can't even find or join a clan from in the game, can you? Sure hope all the millions that buy Destiny are active in an online gaming community or have 5 friends with the same system.

Nipo

I remember a trailer that looked like it had some platforming elements. Players jumping from falling ledge to ledge. Do we know if that is part of the raid?

Omega

Banned
this game just keeps getting better huh. i don't like to depend on other's people schedule to play a game, therefore i won't play the raid, the thing that i was most looking forward to the game. gonna pass on this one now.

Do you not know what a raid is?

It's almost impossible to get random people to commit to such a long task, and that's considering everything goes perfect. That's not even close to the case with randoms, and instead you'll just have people dying, no communication and frustration so people will quit.

ultron87

Legendary difficulty in Halo "wasn't for everyone" but they didn't lock it behind some arbitrary restriction because someone might pick it and not have fun.

Legendary difficulty in Halo "wasn't for everyone" but they didn't lock it behind some arbitrary restriction because someone might pick it and not have fun.

They did exactly this with ODST firefight. its one part of the game.

Destiny has stirkes, daily story challenges, PVP and nightfall missions.

There is one mode where you will need to find 5 people. Bungie obviously play tested this and made the decision.

Top Bottom